Anthem SX 2015/2016, or Trance 2015/2016... or Reign 0 2013?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Anthem SX 2015/2016, or Trance 2015/2016... or Reign 0 2013?

Hello,

Decision to make... I'm moving to Revelstoke long term, only owned hard tails before and do about 25% rural road/path riding, 75% trails; mostly XC, but certainly some steeper, more technical climbs and descents... XC riding is more my jam!

But in terms of a fun versatile FS bike, what should I consider? At first I was going to go for an Anthem or Anthem SX... now leaning more toward the Trance... also at the shop was really good deal "$1000 off" a Giant Region 0 2013; which may be a good substitute for a trance by the looks of it? Only thing I'm not too keen about is 26" instead of the 27.5" ; something Giant has moved away from.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulharin View Post
    But in terms of a fun versatile FS bike, what should I consider?
    Trance SX. That was easy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Well the Reign 2013 looks like a very different bike than a modern reign, with very different geometry... The reign 2013 looks like it filled the niche of the Trance SX at the time. Reign 0 (2013) | Giant Bicycles | Canada ... Would the frame and geometry of that bike work well on 27.5 wheels and tires?
    Last edited by Kulharin; 10-31-2015 at 06:30 PM.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    Trance SX. That was easy.
    That's what I'd do based on what I know about where you're going, but I've never been there. If you ask that question about where I am, I'd say the Anthem. But there you go - the terrain will dictate what the best bike is.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Can you explain why a newer Trance SX would be superior to the older Reign 0 (2013) ??? Especially considering I could get a brand new Reign 0 for $1000-$2000 cheaper than a Trance SX?

The Reign from 2013 appears to be much more similar to a Trance than the Reign of today, which is a completely different bike now.

NedwannaB
    Can you explain why a newer Trance SX would be superior to the older Reign 0 (2013) ??? Especially considering I could get a brand new Reign 0 for $1000-$2000 cheaper than a Trance SX?

The Reign from 2013 appears to be much more similar to a Trance than the Reign of today, which is a completely different bike now.
    May not be a concern but the Reign has 26" wheels, the other 2 you're asking about are 27.5. The $1-2k price difference may negate that though....

That being said, the Reign is a lot more bike then you've been use to riding, may be "too much" as they say for where you're going to be riding in the future. It's all relative to individuals. My regular ride group has a mix of rigid/fr shock ht single speed's->fs XC->WFO/Enduros and we all ride the same trails. Some excel better heading up, some heading down.
    Last edited by JMac47; 11-01-2015 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Typo
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Marin Hawk Hill 2.5

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    You'll be happy enough with Anthem Advanced SX:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...ed+sx&_sacat=0
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    I wouldn't make it a numbers game but that huge price discount is a good indicator alone on how well that old Reign compares to the newer gen 27.5 bikes. Why don't you just testride them and make your own assessment?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The area you're moving to might look more like Reign or Trance SX, but if you're more of a XC rider, like you stated, then I wouldn't go any bigger than a Trance. 140mm of travel is a lot if you're coming off a more XC bike. The Trance pedals really well for having that much travel and the Anthem SX just rips. It's really hard to out-ride the Trance. I'd go for a regular Trance and I'd definitely steer clear of the Reign based on how you describe your riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hello,

Decision to make... I'm moving to Revelstoke long term, only owned hard tails before and do about 25% rural road/path riding, 75% trails; mostly XC, but certainly some steeper, more technical climbs and descents... XC riding is more my jam!

But in terms of a fun versatile FS bike, what should I consider? At first I was going to go for an Anthem or Anthem SX... now leaning more toward the Trance... also at the shop was really good deal "$1000 off" a Giant Region 0 2013; which may be a good substitute for a trance by the looks of it? Only thing I'm not too keen about is 26" instead of the 27.5" ; something Giant has moved away from.
    When you make new pals, you'll probably be the only one of your group with an XC bike out there if you get the Anthem. IMO you will quickly adapt to more fun trails and riding. I'd get the Trance, maybe the Reign.

On the fun rating scale I would say:

Reign > Trance > Anthem

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    "140mm of travel is a lot if you're coming off a more XC bike"

I'm coming off a hard tail, giant talon... I enjoy the uphill as much as the downhill... I've had people at a couple different put in a good argument for each bike...

Does the downhill capability of the Trance outweigh the long distance riding and climbing capability of the Anthem SX?

mtbr member
    Does the downhill capability of the Trance outweigh the long distance riding and climbing capability of the Anthem SX?
    yes. Trance is the better allrounder. The Anthem riders are just badly disguised XC guys who cannot and will not commit to a more downhill and fun orientated riding style due to their passion for steep headangles and overly long stems!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The thing is I'm coming from an HT and I enjoy XC riding, fast, flow, roll as opposed to extremely steep, rough, rugged technical climbs and descents... I surf and ski and I pursue those sports to the extreme... For biking I more do it more to relax, explore, cruise around... including rural roads and paths.

I assume I should not consider the new high end Stance?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Anthem SX will be plenty.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    yes. Trance is the better allrounder. The Anthem riders are just badly disguised XC guys who cannot and will not commit to a more downhill and fun orientated riding style due to their passion for steep headangles and overly long stems!
    I own a trance, but if I owned a Anthem it would be very similar angles and built with the short stem. With 130mm fork the angles would be slack, and the CS is actually shorter on the Anthem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Drunk on the kook aid! lol
    '01 Schwinn HG Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona JtS - '18 Rocky Mtn Altitude A30 - '19 Scott Spark RC Team

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    This is true. I am a timid, no jumpy XC guy. Last winter I bought a Bucksaw and started riding over lots of stuff I used to walk - it allowed me to punch above my weight class. After a season of that I started to yearn for a light bike for climbs so I bought (I think) the last 2015 Anthem 1 in Alberta (such a good deal).

I don't think the Anthem buyer is disguised at all - its a good bike for going fast on world cup xc type trails (groomed, double track, flowey non technical hiking trails). There is nothing wrong with that.

After a couple of rides I can honestly say the Anthem practically feels like a road bike - the front is so steep, and riding it over the stuff I ride on the Bucksaw was scary as hell.

However, I came up the climbs about 3x as fast (felt like it). So there is something to be said for that.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lewdvig View Post
    This is true. I am a timid, no jumpy XC guy. Last winter I bought a Bucksaw and started riding over lots of stuff I used to walk - it allowed me to punch above my weight class. After a season of that I started to yearn for a light bike for climbs so I bought (I think) the last 2015 Anthem 1 in Alberta (such a good deal).

I don't think the Anthem buyer is disguised at all - its a good bike for going fast on world cup xc type trails (groomed, double track, flowey non technical hiking trails). There is nothing wrong with that.

After a couple of rides I can honestly say the Anthem practically feels like a road bike - the front is so steep, and riding it over the stuff I ride on the Bucksaw was scary as hell.

However, I came up the climbs about 3x as fast (felt like it). So there is something to be said for that.
    Anthem with a 120 or 130 fork would be much different than a 100 mm fork.

WillWorkForTrail
    Meh. I have an Anthem 29er. I know what it's made for, and that's what I use it for. I mostly ride pretty tame XC stuff because...well, that's pretty much all there is where I live. But I grew up near some great rides, and the Anthem has been there too - Reddish Knob for instance. That's not just steep and technical, it'll smoke your brakes for you too if you can't commit. Hint: My brakes did not smoke, because I know how to ride.

I also have a "trail hardtail" (is 69 degrees trail territory anymore?) that I own top 10 segment times on a bunch of local "downhills" (oh yea, it's a single speed ...) so, let's not pigeon hole Anthem buyers. Sometimes all you need is a tack hammer, and there's no sense getting a 44oz framing hammer out to drive a trim tack.

NedwannaB
    The thing is I'm coming from an HT and I enjoy XC riding, fast, flow, roll as opposed to extremely steep, rough, rugged technical climbs and descents... I surf and ski and I pursue those sports to the extreme... For biking I more do it more to relax, explore, cruise around... including rural roads and paths.

I assume I should not consider the new high end Stance?
    Nothing wrong with high end Stance except then you're into a mid level Trance pricing where you get the Maestro over the single flex pivot. And less possibility of chainstay breakage.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Marin Hawk Hill 2.5

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Living in Kelowna, my riding is very similar to yours (Revy). Reign is too much towards DH as I'm sure you figured out by now.

However, I think after riding a while in Revy you'll want more bike than what an Anthem will give you.

Therefore, my recommendation would be a Trance Carbon. I just put a Pike 130/160 on mine along with a Debonair can and it rips. During XC racing I keep it at 130 and trail mode and it's perfect.

However, I open everything up when having fun and it bombs the downs. Can handle whatever I throw at it now

If you look at the 2016 Trance Adv. 0. It's basically the exact same setup as mine. They put a Debonair and a Pike on it.

Get yourself a 2015 Adv 1 and spend $130 for the Debonair and $800 on a used/new Pike and save yourself probably $3,000 over a 2016 0 and you won't regret it!

Cheers,

Jay

mtbr member
    Trance Adv 1 2016:
    Anthem SX 2015/2016, or Trance 2015/2016... or Reign 0 2013?-uploadfromtaptalk1447295052955.jpg
    Anthem SX 2015/2016, or Trance 2015/2016... or Reign 0 2013?-uploadfromtaptalk1447295613753.jpg
    I testrode that baby together with a 2016 Reign Adv 1. Loved the colours. Came in with pedals at 12.34kg. That's a wopping 1.6kg less (!!) than my stock Trance SX 2015.

Stock components kinda crippled the bike though: Narrow wheelset coupled with weak tires, long stem with narrow bars, I missed a longer, plusher fork on the downhill. Ok the carbon frame is 200g lighter than the aluminium one but that's not worth the hassle IMO. Bottom line I'd rather save some money and take the SX 2016 instead. That bike looks much better dealed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The thing is, I am only used to "dynamic" riding with my 2014 Giant Talon 27.5 1... Road, xc trails, multi-use dirt paths, gravel, and rugged/technical climbs and descents...

Will the Anthem SX be significantly more capable for those technical climbs and steep technical descents?

I want a bike that can be used for longer distance adventure riding / go anywhere... I did it with my Talon...

I can also get a great deal on an Anthem Advanced SX from last year...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The Anthem SX is such a good bike...I can ride a huge variety with mine. XC racing, endurance racing, technical trail riding. I rode it in Pisgah, and sure, the Trance would have been more ideal, but pretty much any spot that I walked I would've walked regardless of the bike I was riding. Most people buy more bike than they need. I bet the SX would be perfect for you.

It'd be head and shoulders better than your Talon, not even in the same conversation.