Anthem shock problems- Mtbr.com
    Baz
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Anthem shock problems

GDay,

Have picked up a knocking noise in the rear shock (s-type) - rebound damping does seem to be working, but as the shock starts rebounding there is a distinct knock as the shock goes back thorugh its travel.

I've checked mounting bolts, etc, and I'm sure its the shock: can replicate this while off the bike standing next to it. Any clues?

And... might be replacing the rear shock (want a fox):
    1. Any suggestions/recommendations?
    2. Whats the shock length I should be looking for? Can't find this specced on giant manuals etc.

Thanks for any help!

Baz.

mtbr member
    The manitou bushings are crap! Mine would only go about 2 weeks without play. Now keep in mind this is nothing internal to do with the shock, they are the bushings that connect the shock to the frame. Your shock is fine, replace the shock eye bushings if you like but the play will eventually come back. So far no play with my 2007 Fox bushings!

Baz
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Thanks for that

Although bushings seem fine at this stage. Will keep it in mind, though.

I do want to go fox but the cash is a bit steep for me...

Cheers

mtbr member
    I thought the S-Type was more money?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Anthem's fox rp23 is six inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz
    GDay,

Have picked up a knocking noise in the rear shock (s-type) - rebound damping does seem to be working, but as the shock starts rebounding there is a distinct knock as the shock goes back thorugh its travel.

I've checked mounting bolts, etc, and I'm sure its the shock: can replicate this while off the bike standing next to it. Any clues?

And... might be replacing the rear shock (want a fox):
    1. Any suggestions/recommendations?
    2. Whats the shock length I should be looking for? Can't find this specced on giant manuals etc.

Thanks for any help!

Baz.
    Haven't tried the manitou on the Anthem; on the Reign it work unbelievable well. However, I seem to prefer the propedal adjustability of the fox. If manitou would make a swinger which could have its spv valving be adjusted, or turned off, via a lever, that would probably be the best shock on the market.

Members who have read this thread: 0