Anthem Setup- Mtbr.com

Thread: Anthem Setup

Live Free or Ride!

Anthem Setup

Hey there,

just got a brand new anthem 1, stock setup

I weigh 200lbs, and am 6'

Was wondering on bike setup, I have the front set at 150lbs right now and it rides pretty good, my friend said I should be looking at 170lbs and up. Any ideas.

Also my gears don't always run completely smooth (they rub on the metal parts of the derailleur), they work but it's a pain goin down the street hearing a click click click. I'm thinking they might just need to be tuned.

And lastly are there any upgrades that are really worth investing some time and money into?

Heres the bike setup

Fork: Fox 32 F80RL
    Shock: Fox Float RP2
    Handlebar: Easton EA50
    Stem Easton EA50
    Post Easton EA50
    Saddle WTB Siverado Race SL
    Pedals Shimano XT
    Shifters Shimano XT
    Front LX
    Rear XT
    Brakes Hayes HFX 9SC
    Levers Hayes
    Cassette SRAM PG970
    Chain Shimano HG 53
    Cranks Raceface Evolve XC
    BB Raceface X-Type ext
    Rims WTB Laserdisc XC
    Hubs DT Cerit
    Spokes DT Comp
    Tires Hutchinson Pirahna

Thx again

mtbr member
    Umm according to the FOX manual 170lbs should be good for about a 300+lb person

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    a very rough guide is:
    front = body weight (lbs) / 2
    back = body weight (lbs)

upgrades depends on how you want to ride it, I swapped out the bar and post for carbon bling and a shorter stem.
    First thing is probably swapping the front tire for something with better grip

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I wonder if 08 Anthem will be lighter?? and maybe increased the travel to 100mm like Spesh Epic?
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

Come on winter!
    The gears rub on the metal parts of the derailer? Not sure exactly what this means but I think you are hearing the chain skipping on the next closest cog in your cassette which means you need to adjust the tension on your shifter cable by turning the barrel adjuster on the shifter. This will move the rear der. in small amounts to line it up more precisely with the gear it's currently shifted in.

IMO the best upgrade to make is a lighter wheel set although yours is decent. I don't like the raceface chainrings at all and I only use FSA rings.

I also agree with the above post that your fork pressure is way high.
    Your rear shock should have a bit more than your body weight in air pressure as a starting point.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Live Free or Ride!
    Cheers, just adjusted the pressure front and rear, much better, stupid LBS, picked up and easton EC90 bar and seatpost, and looking at the stem right now. Not sure whether to go with the thomson, easton, or bontrager. Bontrager looks like bling bling but everyone I talk to seems to think the thomson is the way to go
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

Live Free or Ride!

08 anthem vs 07 anthem

Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    I wonder if 08 Anthem will be lighter?? and maybe increased the travel to 100mm like Spesh Epic?
    as far as I know the weight should be more or less the same for an anthem 1 vs anthem 1.
    of course the anthem 0 and advanced are lighter due to better components. As far as the travel I believe they are going to the 100. The aussie anthem comes with a 100 and so does the israeli version so far as I know for 07. Will make the bike a bit slower and heavier though.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hmm, I think they are not updating anything on the Anthem for next year cause Im sure they are busy redesigning the Trance Advanced. Hmm maybe 09? A lighter Anthem - 100mm rear travel - new carbon version?
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    2008 North American Anthem is 80mm fork. One of the big reasons I am looking at maybe racing a Trance next year. Personally I wouldn't run EC90 stuff on a mountain bike.

Come on winter!
    Quote Originally Posted by Benno
    Personally I wouldn't run EC90 stuff on a mountain bike.

Why?
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Live Free or Ride!
    2008 North American Anthem is 80mm fork. One of the big reasons I am looking at maybe racing a Trance next year. Personally I wouldn't run EC90 stuff on a mountain bike.
    Haven't had any problems with the EC90 stuff yet, solid as a rock, and the bar helps dampen the ride a little
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I love the 80mm fork on my anthem ('07 anthem1). At 130 lbs, I rarely use all the travel while racing. I also run an ec90 bar...no problems at all

Live Free or Ride!
    I too enjoy the Fox 80. One of the quicker bikes I've ridden. I tried a Santa Cruz Superlight, Trek Top Fuel 8, and a Specialized Stumpjumper and found the Anthem 1 was a much faster and responsive bike. Now that I've shed some pounds off of it as well it leaves these others in the dust. Plus for the price I paid and the component list you can't beat it.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    i went easton stem (ea70) as it was lighter than the thompson.
    Unfortunately the very nice 4x thompsons are for oversized bars and I stayed with "normal"

Live Free or Ride!
    Whats normal? The 25.4? 31.8 I find is much stiffer but still has that flexibility on big hits. Me thinks I'm goin with the Thomson, major bling :-)
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

Lusus Naturae
    GiantMartin - what size bike did you get? I'm almost 6' by 1/2" and am actually considering buying a medium (18") rather than a large. I have a 32 inseam and a somewhat larger torso.

The sound of your chain scraping the front derr can be fixed with a simple derr adjustment, though keep in mind if your chain is crossing from big ring front to big ring back (or small front, small back) it will most likely scrape. I shouldnt have to tell you that, tho.

Finally, is $1600 a good price for a 2007 Anthem 1 that was demo'd for one day at Interbike 2007?

Live Free or Ride!
    I have really long legs for 6', but the large fits me fine, your best bet is to go to a lbs and try both sizes out, I paid $1600 for my Giant Anthem 1, 2007, and it was brand new in the box
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

Aug 2007
    2008 Anthem weights, according to Giant Australia (which means 100mm fork rather than 80mm) are :

Anthem 0 (medium frame) - 10.94 kg + pedals (24.1 pounds + pedals)
    Anthem 1 (medium frame) - 11.87kg including pedals (26.1 pounds)

Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    Hmm, I think they are not updating anything on the Anthem for next year cause Im sure they are busy redesigning the Trance Advanced. Hmm maybe 09? A lighter Anthem - 100mm rear travel - new carbon version?
    I'll guess they'll lighten up the carbon version. They may also lighten up the alloy version. They won't change the travel, they already have the trance.

I don't see what's wrong with the current Anthem design?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Well its cause most XC Race bikes come with 100mm of rear travel nowadays. I really hope Giant would be able to lighten their Carbon version much much more then the current Anthem Advanced. Also the must make the Anthem lighter then the Trance, at least by 1-2kg's, cause it looks abit odd that if you accept the extra 200g's and you get a more longer travel and durable machine.
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Is that to say that the Trance Advanced is only 200grams heavier than the Anthem Advanced or that the new ALUXX Trance is 200 grams heavier than the Anthem Advanced?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    no Im talking bout the aluminium version. I dont know the weight difference between the current Anthem Advanced and Trance Advanced
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

Members who have read this thread: 0