Anthem Setup- Mtbr.com

Thread: Anthem Setup

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Wink Anthem Setup

Hi guys, this is my first post here as Iím new to Giantís clan. Iím a very happy owner of a brand new Anthem 0 (Aussie with 100mm fork).
    As this bike is completely different from tho old one (Kona Kikapu) Iím struggling a little to set it up for the rough trails in Oz land, so I wonder what you guys are doing with yours.

In my last ride, the bike seemed quite balanced, but still has room for improvements.

Here are my details:

My weight: 183 lbs
    Shock pressure: 180lbs (~7mm sag)
    Fork pressure: 80 lbs (~17mm sag)

How do you setup yours?

PS: Iím hammering this bike and it takes it all. Those who think that the Anthem is a race only bike are terribly wrong.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I have mine set up to do everything, except race...

its turned into a "mini-Reign." (which I had for a year). I switched to a larger saddle (WTB Pure V), wider, and low-rise handlebars, platform pedals, and 2x9 drivetrain. It still weighs just under 28lbs, without the water bottle/holder. I could easily drop a pound or two, but it rides so well as- is, I don't care. It sounds like you have the shock and fork set correctly by sag, so the easiest way to improve ride quality on rough trails is by changing tires and tire pressure. A slight change in tire pressure can make it feel like you added an extra inch of travel to your bike, without sacraficing speed- its trial and error. For off-road use I run a 2.1 knobby in front and a semi-slick in the rear. Some fire roads around here I can run semi-slicks front and rear- talk about speed! Try different tires and monkey with the pressures to fit your local trails- its worth the effort...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Fat tires rule....

The only thing I've changed on my Anthem 3 is the tires. I'm running a 2.1 WTB Weirwolf in the rear, and a 2.6 Kenda Kenetics Stick-E in the front, and I LOVE IT! The fat front tire is great, much, much more grip than the stock 2.0 hutchinson's, and I really haven't noticed the weight difference. The kenda tire doesn't roll as fast as the stock tires, but it's well worth the extra grip in my opinion. It barely clears the fork, I don't think it'd fit in the rear though, the 2.1 doesn't have much extra room as it is.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by leopafe
    Hi guys, this is my first post here as Iím new to Giantís clan. Iím a very happy owner of a brand new Anthem 0 (Aussie with 100mm fork).
    As this bike is completely different from tho old one (Kona Kikapu) Iím struggling a little to set it up for the rough trails in Oz land, so I wonder what you guys are doing with yours.
    I'm not doing anything with mine, as it hasn't arrived yet. Will let you know when it arrives!

Care to put up a few hi-res pics for those of us still waiting, please?

mtbr member
    Loving my '07 Anthem 2 so far. As far as changes go I hacked off about an inch off each side of the handle bars, installed new Oury grips, swapped out the stock tires for Conti Explorers, went clipless with Candy C's (still not 100% with the clipless pedals), and installed a 410mm Thomson post. Seems to be setup very well for the types of trails around here. Lately I've been locking out the rear shock...bit more of a hardtail feel, but my climbing has greatly improved.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Your pressures look reasonable.

I (also aussie) went wider low rise bar, shorter stem, carbon zero offset post (moved seat forward) and changed front tyre - 2.1 ADvantage when it was dusty, 2.1 Crossmax for marathon training and races

Apr 2007
    Maybe try a fraction less pressure in the rear shock. I run about 9mm sag. Makes it a little plusher. Experiiment with little changes, it can make a big difference.

Members who have read this thread: 0