anthem as a general purpose bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Cool-blue Rhythm anthem as a general purpose bike?

There are a number of threads comparing the trance and reign but not a lot on the anthem other than as a specific XC race bike.

Will the anthem hold its own on the local trails and enduro events? I am currently riding a ****ing heavy hardtail so any squish in the rear has to be better than what I have got now.

Is the weight difference between the anthem and the trance enough to sway a person to use the anthem for their weekend rides? Also the area around my BB is covered in mud and ****, will the pierced tube on the trance make me wish it had a setup like the anthem?

I suspect the anthem frame will handle my kind of riding as I am a ***** when it comes to downhill stuff but are there other components that I might break? (wheels etc?)

your thoughts.....

mtbr member
    All peirced frames should come with a carbon shock guard now so mud build up should'nt be an issue. As for Anthem vs Trance or Reign..........what can I say. Ride each and see what you like. I pretty much depends on what you look for in a bike. I can only vouch for the Anthem as it's the only Maestro bike I've logged a lot of miles on. It has razor sharp handling and is very fast and responsive. I imagine given the geometries of the Trance or Reign each is progressively relaxed and will be a bit more stable with more travel at the expense of responsiveness and efficiency. I've only turned 21 years old yesterday so I can say my back and shoulders can go quite a long distance before discomfort. I use my Anthem for every day use (training), racing, and endurance racing with no problems. I would not be satisfied with a Trance or Reign, but then again I am strictly a racer.

mtbr member
    The Trance is definitely a "Trail" bike. The way the travel feels, the angles of the frame and the component spec all suggest a ride that is the essence of MTB. What the Trance will let you do it climb efficiently and descend with confidence. It will put you in a comfortable upright position that is ideal for long hours in the saddle- and generally apt for most technical trail features you'll ever come across riding XC. Component and frame strength reflect the type of rider- one that isn't finesse and just wants to get out and ride.

The Anthem is a pure XC race bike. Again, the travel, the angles and component spec make it a race bike. This bike is for riding fast. It will let you climb faster due to less weight and go fast through twisty singletrack. The rider position is less comfortable than the Trance. It will put your weight foward, over the pedals and over your handlebars to allow for the most effecient power transfer (climbs and flats). This makes descending a bit more difficult as you'll really need to move your weight back. The position in general will stretch you out over the bike.

Overall I'd imagine (being a Trance and XTC rider) that the Anthem would be a blast on anything that's not very technical. Not to mention that it would be more efficient at getting out up the hills than the Trance on non technical terrain- with the

If you're really into XC racing (or want to be) then I'd reccommend the Anthem. But the Trance is more of an all rounder and sounds like its suited to you style of riding. Even if it's the same weight as your hardtail, the suspension will make the climbs much easier as it will make the wheel stick to the ground.

mtbr member
    Personally I can't see why an Anthem wouldn't serve well as a general purpose XC rig, it's the replacement for the NRS which was also intended for XC Racing but loads of people have them as their general bikes.

Once it suits your riding style and trails I wouldn't see a problem and being that you're already on a hardtail which prob uses the steeper geometry and 80mm fork it shouldn't feel much different geometry wise. Personally I love my trance and the slacker angles which make DH much more fun and confidence inspiring, but yet lets me climb very well by shifting my weight forward some - the Trance is definitely a "trail Bike" as Majura said, it goes up and it goes down with just about the same sort fo feeling.

Personally I'd love to get a ride on an Anthem to see what it feels like and how harsh the ride really is (several mags have reviewed them and said they're very "racy") and will prob eventually own one to race, but think the Trance will continue to be my all around ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Funny thing is, I rode a fully rigid KHS for 6 months as my winter/ice bike. I kept reading reviews on how responsive the handling was on the Anthem, how short the travel was, and how steep the head tube angle was. When I finally took possesion in April, the first month or so the bike felt like a freeride/DH rig with insane travel and confident descending..........guess it's all what you get used to. Magazine reviewers should have to ride crappy rigid bikes for a few months before saying 3.5inches of travel is harsh.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ^^^ hehehe - so true - my NRS feels like a hardtail, but my frame of reference is a Reign

mtbr member
    Would you prefer a race bike that you can trail ride or a trail bike that you can race? Yes you can use an anthem for any general trail riding but you could also use a full rigid for any general trail riding but at what cost and sacrifice? You can soften up the ride on an anthem but you only have limited travel compared to the trance so obviously on some downhill sections, the trance will soak up the hits more and allow you to descend easier. No doubt the anthem is a much faster bike in the right hands but if you would rather sacrifice a little speed for a little more comfort, I would go the trance. If you prefer the speed and agility over comfort, go the anthem. They are both great bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain
    Would you prefer a race bike that you can trail ride or a trail bike that you can race? Yes you can use an anthem for any general trail riding but you could also use a full rigid for any general trail riding but at what cost and sacrifice? You can soften up the ride on an anthem but you only have limited travel compared to the trance so obviously on some downhill sections, the trance will soak up the hits more and allow you to descend easier. No doubt the anthem is a much faster bike in the right hands but if you would rather sacrifice a little speed for a little more comfort, I would go the trance. If you prefer the speed and agility over comfort, go the anthem. They are both great bikes.
    I have a hard tail, I'd never ridden a fully until, last weekend when I went for a ride on my mates new Specialized Enduro. I liked the idea of lots of travel, and the bike looks cool, but when riding it it felt like I was on a couch. It also felt like I could go at insane speed downhill and get myself in a lot of trouble!

I don't think I'd like to be so insulated from the trail, I like the bumps some, so I think based on that I'm gonna get an Anthem. And the difference between whats in the 'suspension' of my hardtail (the tyre) vs 3.5" is massive!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    ok is the 07 anthem1 better than 06 anthem 2?

i prefer the fox rear shock from the 07 but the reba from the 06 :?

mtbr member
    Bikes are similar.........newer is always better. I'd prefer the FOX stuff, the 06 Anthem 2 had Manitou all round, not the Reba?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mereel
    ok is the 07 anthem1 better than 06 anthem 2?

i prefer the fox rear shock from the 07 but the reba from the 06 :?
    We are talking Australian versions here. The only difference is the Fox front and rear shock. Personally I would prefer the Fox F100RL & RP23 as to what was offered on the 06 #2. The new #0 is hardly any different than last years #1, just the new RP23 and they don't have the top of the line limited edition anymore. Newer is not always better. Just go with what spec you prefer.

mtbr member
    Newer is easier to re-sell

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    is the Manitou rear shock good stuff?

the aust 07 anthem 1 has the rp2 rather than the rp23 (which the anthem 0 has)

as said before the aust anthem 2 has a reba fork, reading the shocks forum people seem to like this one alot while the fox forks do not seem as reliable
    Last edited by mereel; 09-06-2006 at 02:47 PM.

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    I have the 06 Anthem 2 and the only stock components left are the frame, wheels and the rear shock. Coming from 3 seasons on my beat up Kona Kula hardtail...this bike is awesome. Fast in the corners, accelerates like a bastard and climbs like a billygoat. The rear shock is manitou and i have had no problems with it but don't even get me startedon that RSeven garbage...

Anthem = Sweet!

TRevor

Why ride slow and enjoy the nature when you can ride fast and enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    I second that the Anthem is fast as hell

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    just got my anthem and compared to my ridgid bike it feels well bouncy i thought my seat was bending lol its my first bouncy ride tho. i love it it climbs great and decends great ive got mine for all day use for everything.

EXORCIZE
    I own both the 2005 Trance 2 and the 2006 Anthem 2. They feel very different.

I have ridden my Anthem 2 four times and am selling it. I hate it. Hate it, hate it, hate it! Because its not the right bike for me.

My Anthem is very fast, and climbs very well and looks hot, plus nice components. If you test ride it in a parking lot, you will be impressed. But on the trail, I can't stand the super quick steering and the low clearance. It is for racing and less technical trails. If this is you, buy it. If not, buy the Trance - much more agreeable as a general, do-anything trail bike. Steering is definitely more mellow, and condusive to downhilling. I ride the more mellow half of the highly-technical trails in mountainous Phoenix, AZ, and the Anthem is still out of its element. Not so much because of its travel, which is ok (I'm coming off a hardtail), butagain, b/c of its very quick steering and low clearnace. Uggh. It might work better for me with fatter tires and a different bar, but I've picked up a fast 29er and the Anthem is history.

mtbr member
    What do you mean about clearance? The Anthem has plenty of BB to ground clearance and good stand over clearance as well.
    YOUR BIKE SUCKS!

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain
    What do you mean about clearance? The Anthem has plenty of BB to ground clearance and good stand over clearance as well.
    Standover was ok for a xc race bike (although I see its a lofty 33.1" on my XL!) but ground clearance was a problem for me. I found my pedals hitting a lot, and was surprised. Very frustrating.

Maybe it was just me. I went to check the ground clearance on Giant's website, and I didn't see it on their geometry page. That's weak...

mtbr member
    For an XC bike the clearance is good. Just measured against a GT I-drive, a GT Zaskar , a Norco Kokanee and a Giant XTC. The Anthem has as much clearance and in some cases more clearance compared to those bikes. Can't say what it is like compared to all mountain rigs but Ive found it to be good. I understand your other comments though. The bike is not for everyone.
    YOUR BIKE SUCKS!

mtbr member
    For the rocky, winding trails of NJ and NY (and even moreso the trails I rode this past week in Virginia), 4" of travel and slacker angles are of immersable help and make the rides not just fun but bearable. Riding twice in northern VA last week I couldn't help but feel my 4" Reba wasn't enough in the front -- that a Pike or Revalation would have made a considerable benefit with the trails so rough and the declines so many. On the first trip I had the shortest travel -- 5-6" and even a few dual-crowns were the standard. On the second trip one guy had a hardail with 4" up front -- he was an amazing rider and I feel he simply would have not kept up otherwise.

For races, give me an Anthem any day. For trail riding -- the Trance is ideal, and I'd even take a well-spec'ed Reign over an Anthem for my neck of the woods.

Members who have read this thread: 0