Anthem Advanced frame crack?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Anthem Advanced frame crack?

I recently found this crack in the seat tube just above the bottom bracket on my 4 month old Anthem Advanced. I sent photos to the dealer I bought it from, and he forwarded them to Giant. When he got back to me, I was told that its just the finish that is cracked, and that it is OK to ride, but that if I wanted the "factory" to inspect the frame to go ahead and send it in.

What do you guys/gals think? Am I just being paranoid, or is the dealer I am working with smoking crack? I did "go ahead and send it in for the factory to inspect". Lets see what the factory has to say .
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You did the right thing sending it in, better safe than sorry.

Although...does carbon really crack? I know metals will, but I would think carbon would explode.....but I'm by no means a carbon fiber expert.

But, the frame shouldn't be flexing enough for the paint to crack. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I had a similar situation, where it was hard to tell...

I advise getting the area wet, and flexing the frame in that area.. Water will bubble and/or flow if the crack is deeper than the paint.

mtbr member
    I think "hope" I have a "paint crack" issue in my advanced. It is in the sloping area where the top tube meets the seat tube.

I think Giant should repaint the frame, who's going to buy the line that it is only paint on carbon frame when I try to sell it?

mtbr member
    we can all suspect but we cant be sure if its a crack or what but definitely there is something going on in that area that caused those nasty looking lines. better have it checked to be sure.
    i hate biking!

Members who have read this thread: 0