Anthem Adv 1 vs Trance Adv 1 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Anthem Adv 1 vs Trance Adv 1 29er

Looking hard at both. 51yr old endurance racer. presently on a Borealis Yampa w front suspension and lightish wheels/tires. Sits at 29lbs.

Demoed an anthem 27.5 and was pleased w how fast it could accelerate compared to my fatbike on the same course.
    Then demoded an Anthem 29 (size L, and it was too big but still rideable). it was significantly more improved in every way, pls the dual lockout turned it into a cross bike on climbs.
    Have never tried a Trance but my rep is getting a Large one in in January (i'm 5'10" w 32" inseam). I'll try it but likely i'm a medium.

My LBS mechanic, (national level DH racer and great all around xc racer) was pushing me to the Trance for its improved ability to descend. He felt that a better bike for me would be one that would descend better since descending is my obvious weakness in endurance races.

He believed that i could be close in terms of climbing speed w the Trance vs Anthem but that i could more than make up for it during the descents. Also he felt that everyday i rode that wasn't a race...which is many...i'd just have overall more fun.

i saw that you can buy the Fox remote lockout kit for the shock, and that would make me happy during fireroad or climbing i reckon.

We are in Eastern canada. a mix of all trail types, no mountains over 350m really, lots of roots.

Anyone out there similarly thinking??

Thanks,
    Don

mtbr member
    I'm 66. I always ride my Trance Pro 29 in the open mode while climbing. I never lock out, or even use "medium" mode front or back. If the trail is completely flat, a locked out rear will be faster, I suppose (I don't really have those conditions in my area - Utah) but if it's rooty or rocky, I'm faster climbing with rear suspension in operation. At least, that's what the stop watch says.

The 29" wheels are going to climb better than 27.5 in all conditions except really technical, and there, I find, they're about equal.

I'd also replace the stock tires, unless you are really concerned with downhill cornering capability - in which case, they're great. They're boat anchors on the climbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

I just sat on a Trance 3...medium size. Too small.

My LBS has a Trance 29er 3. Medium. and it felt far too small. I''m 5'10". normally a solid Medium sized rider. Anthem was medium and perfect. Other anthem, large, obviously too big. But i'm apparently a Large Trance rider.
    weird.

Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I'm 66. I always ride my Trance Pro 29 in the open mode while climbing. I never lock out, or even use "medium" mode front or back. If the trail is completely flat, a locked out rear will be faster, I suppose (I don't really have those conditions in my area - Utah) but if it's rooty or rocky, I'm faster climbing with rear suspension in operation. At least, that's what the stop watch says.

The 29" wheels are going to climb better than 27.5 in all conditions except really technical, and there, I find, they're about equal.

I'd also replace the stock tires, unless you are really concerned with downhill cornering capability - in which case, they're great. They're boat anchors on the climbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paddlerx View Post
    My LBS has a Trance 29er 3. Medium. and it felt far too small. I''m 5'10". normally a solid Medium sized rider. Anthem was medium and perfect. Other anthem, large, obviously too big. But i'm apparently a Large Trance rider.
    weird.
    Sounds right. I'm 5'8" if I stand real straight, and I put a 50mm stem on my medium to make it feel right.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I have a trance adv 2 27.5 which I really like. I demoed an Advance 27.5 and it just felt a little more nimble and quicker handling then my trance. It really is a good all around bike. The trance does descend a little better and is a little more fun. I have not ridden the Anthem 29, but I do ride an XTC 29 which is kind of the hardtail sibling of the Anthem 29. The bike is really fast on flats and climbs, but you feel everything including the speed on descents. The Anthem pro 29 is a great bike. It is pretty fast too, but smooths out the bumps versus the XTC. It is better than the XTC on the descents, but behind the Anthem 27.5 or Trance 27.5. There are simply trade-offs and you have to find the bike that best suits your needs. I am 6 1 1/2" and ride large frames. Best.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by dcr1 View Post
    I have a trance adv 2 27.5 which I really like. I demoed an Advance 27.5 and it just felt a little more nimble and quicker handling then my trance. It really is a good all around bike. The trance does descend a little better and is a little more fun. I have not ridden the Anthem 29, but I do ride an XTC 29 which is kind of the hardtail sibling of the Anthem 29. The bike is really fast on flats and climbs, but you feel everything including the speed on descents. The Anthem pro 29 is a great bike. It is pretty fast too, but smooths out the bumps versus the XTC. It is better than the XTC on the descents, but behind the Anthem 27.5 or Trance 27.5. There are simply trade-offs and you have to find the bike that best suits your needs. I am 6 1 1/2" and ride large frames. Best.
    How would you compare the Anthem 27.5 to the Trance 27.5?
    I'm more interested on twisty trails that plague our trails, as opposed to wide open bermed stuff.

Thanks!
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    As I stated, the Anthem 27.5 is just a great all around bike. It generally seem a bit quicker and more nimbler than the Trance 27.5. The Trance performs a little better descending. I could put a heavy set of tires on the Anthem and the bike would feel more like a trance. I could put a light set of tires on the trance and it would feel more like the Anthem. I make that statement to try to get people to understand that while there are differences, they are not that big.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    For Endurance/marathon races and stuff more simmilar to XC rides/racing, Anthem 29 is the way to go. For "i dont care about time and want to have fun" Trance is the answer. 27.5 if you want to jump a little and/or flick you bike around, 29 if you want more "plow through" feeling.