Anthem 29 Marathon Build, 34SC- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Anthem 29 Marathon Build, 34SC

My new Anthem finally came in! I've started making changes to set it up as a backcountry marathon bike. I thought I'd make a little build/report thread since I couldn't find many similar builds when I was planning this.

Additions so far:
    -Fox 34SC 120mm
    -XTR 11spd, a few years old but still works great
    -XT 11-42 cassette.
    -Raceface NextR cranks, fresh warranty from a broken set of Next SL's
    -Raceface bar and stem
    -Maxxis Aspen 2.25
    -WTB Silverado

Changes to come:
    -My trusty set of XT brakes, waiting on a rear hose
    -DROPPER POST. Mostly likely a Lev, because cartridges are relatively cheap and the 27.2 diameter is gonna be a pain in the ass (cough..WTFgiant..cough)
    -Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35 for the front, move Aspen to rear.
    -Stealth decals for the fork because orange makes you slow

Parking lot impressions:
    -The remote lockout feels cheap, but I do enjoy having it. I'm glad the fork came with a spare.
    -A 2.25 tire up front looks tiny in a fork that will accept big rubber
    -70mm stem and riser bar will most likely be swapped to a 90mm neg rise stem and flat bar. I wanted to try it, but I miss being low.

As it sits right now it is a tick over 24lbs. Add dropper post and a fatter tire and hopefully it will be in the mid 25's. It obviously won't be a featherweight, but neither am I. More to come.

Anthem 29 Marathon Build, 34SC-anthem.jpg

"El Whatever"
    Sweet bike, dude!!!
    Anthems with a bit longer fork make for some sweet and dang fast trailbike.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Curious to hear the ride report.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    UPDATE:
    This thing hauls.
    I finally got it done and couldnít be happier. Shimano brakes and a dropper took this thing from sketchy to sendy. The 90mm stem put me in a better position where I didnít feel so tall, and I donít notice any slower steering with the longer travel fork.
    My only qualm is with the lockout. Even on paved road I find myself bouncing when locked out and the pedaling action is much smoother with the suspension unlocked. Not to mention it crowds the bars, clutters the cables, and forces me to use a crappier dropper lever. Other than that, the only issues I have with the bike are the stock SRAM brakes, 27.2 seatpost diameter, and janky seatpost clamp and cover. You have to over-torque it to make it hold...
    Overall the bike feels super capable and extremely fast & efficient. I havenít felt any harshness from a bottom out yet, and the lively rear end generates tons of speed on my local twisty, flowy singletrack. It couldíve been new bike stoke, but I dropped 1:30 from my PR on a 20 minute segment on my local trails! Now if the weather would just break, I need to introduce her to some mountains.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anthem 29 Marathon Build, 34SC-4c99754a-d2f4-4158-b78b-1a78ba4ea060.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Congrats! I love my anthem adv 29, though I like using a carbon seat post for racing with a lot of climbing. I have a suspicion that maybe thatís less of an issue since you moved to an 11-42 cassette (or you just run a smaller chainring than I do). Even without the extra travel up front, these bikes are quite capable as far as xc racers go. I love mine, and Iím sure that you will, too, especially since youíve customized it to suit your needs.

As far as the remote goes, I often feel that it would be nicer to switch between platform and wide open vs just open and closed, but thatís a different issue though I noticed as well when I first started on my anthem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I have the same seat post clamp on my XTC and I have no slip issues and it is within torque spec (8.5 NM). I have read others have had issues. I am around 205 lbs.
    The ardent race tire is a good bit lighter, but may not offer enough traction for your courses. Did it come with carbon handle bars? You can pick-up a set for around $120 range on sale. It is not much weight saving, but does dampen some of the chatter. The previous post already mentioned a carbon seat post. It is a good looking bike. Enjoy