Are the Anthem 27.5 2018 and 2019 more or less the same bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Are the Anthem 27.5 2018 and 2019 more or less the same bike?

Not really seeing anything new or different between the two? Am I missing anything?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulharin View Post
    Not really seeing anything new or different between the two? Am I missing anything?
    Giant typically does model refreshes on a three year cycle and the Anthem 27.5 was new for the 2017 model year.

So, no, you're not missing anything. It's the same frame for 2017-2019.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hm, I see the new advance 1 is cheaper than what I paid for the anthem sx 2015. Trying to discern why? Would my bike still retain much of its value? Taken great care of it with regular tune ups. Recently put new tires, brakes, chain, chain ring and rear cassette on it. I am thinking I may want to sell it for the new anthem advance.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulharin View Post
    Hm, I see the new advance 1 is cheaper than what I paid for the anthem sx 2015. Trying to discern why? Would my bike still retain much of its value? Taken great care of it with regular tune ups. Recently put new tires, brakes, chain, chain ring and rear cassette on it. I am thinking I may want to sell it for the new anthem advance.
    No. It won't. Check out bicycle blue book for a ball park figure of what it's worth.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Looks like around half value. Why do bikes lose value so quickly even with proper upkeep?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    There are two big factors:

1. A 2015 is 4 years old (2019s are on shop floors) and outdated. When the frame was changed in 2017, the geometry was changed, making it easier to ride faster, it was made stiffer, and travel was added. I had the 2016 Anthem and it was great, but the new one is a much better bike. The new one also comes with a dropper post that your bike likely doesn't have.

2. Parts wear out. I know you say your bike has been well-maintained, but someone would have to take your word for it. And in either case, bearings wear. The chain might be toast. The cassette likely needs to be replaced if it hasn't been already, brake pads. Forks and shocks are supposed to be re-built each season.

All of that gets factored into the price of a used bike. Plus, there are always tons of Giants on the market as shop guys dump bikes they rode for a season. You're probably best to sell your bike after two years if you want some money back from it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Ok thanks. Might try to sell the bike this winter n buy a new anthem. Though a refresh is likely due next year so maybe Iíll hold off to see what changes, if any then try to pick up either a 2019 if I can still find one then or 2020.