ADVICE WANTED | upgrade the AC.- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    9

    ADVICE WANTED | upgrade the AC.

    Hey Everyone.

    Need some advice on my what to do with my Giant AC.

    I've got a 2005 Giant AC - matt black, stock standard.
    Giant Coil on rear and Manitou Stance on the front.

    Thing is, since I got my AC my riding has improved 500%.
    I'm just much more confident shredding up the single track and I really enjoy the AC going down. The only problem I really have with it - is going UPHILL!

    It's just back breaking work.
    Most of my friends are on Trance's and they are simply miles ahead of me on the hills.

    So it's decision time for me and the AC.


    OPTION 1 -

    Sell the AC, buy something like a Trance, drop some fatty tyres on, and hope that I get as much enjoyment with the Trance going downhill, like I got with my AC.

    OPTION 2 -

    Upgrade the AC - so that it climbs better.



    Now - I've read alot of posts on the Giant AC - and some people are going on 24hr night rides with it and 3 day rides into the mountain, like the AC is a XC bike ?
    How is this possible? Do these guys know something that I don't?


    SO MY QUESTIONS ARE:

    1 - what rear shock AIR or COIL would you put on my AC so that I can climb like a Trance, and still shredd going downhill?

    2 - Any advice on loosing some weight on the AC ?

    3 - Would you just sell the AC - and rather buy a Trance or Reign?



    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Happy riding.


    Charl du Plessis
    [email protected]

    Cape Town, South Africa.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Benno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,012
    Buy a Trance, it will go uphill and downhill better than the AC. Get the Trance X if you want more travel, Maestro travel feels bottomless compared to the AC's single pivot design.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Benno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,012
    Option #3 - Ride more and you will catch your friends on the hills

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    797

    keep the AC as is, and spend the money...

    on a closeout Anthem. With your new and improved skills, your Trance friends will probably not be able to keep up with you. Save the AC for rides that require an AC. I had a Reign, now an Anthem- the 5lb difference makes a huge difference...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    118
    I was in a similar situation. I broke my AC frame, which was out of warranty (5.5 years old). My options were to upgrade to a ReignX frame and transfer my parts over, or get a new bike. Liked the Spesh Enduro SL. Then I rode a 2008 Reign 1 last week and like it so much I ordered one. Should be riding it in a few days. Six inches travel and 29.5 pounds according to the LBS scale. They are different riding bikes, but I'm ready for something lighter.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    797

    Hey, mvray...

    Quote Originally Posted by mvray
    I was in a similar situation. I broke my AC frame, which was out of warranty (5.5 years old). My options were to upgrade to a ReignX frame and transfer my parts over, or get a new bike. Liked the Spesh Enduro SL. Then I rode a 2008 Reign 1 last week and like it so much I ordered one. Should be riding it in a few days. Six inches travel and 29.5 pounds according to the LBS scale. They are different riding bikes, but I'm ready for something lighter.
    Was that the 08 Reign or Reign X that you weighed at 29.5lbs? What size was it? Thanks.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    118
    dumper - It was a 2008 Reign 1, size Large at 29.5 lbs

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    797

    thanks,

    Quote Originally Posted by mvray
    dumper - It was a 2008 Reign 1, size Large at 29.5 lbs
    I had a 15" 05 Reign at 32lbs. Looks like I need to locate an 08 Reign in a small size- sounds like a great package...

  9. #9

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by mvray
    I was in a similar situation. I broke my AC frame, which was out of warranty (5.5 years old). My options were to upgrade to a ReignX frame and transfer my parts over, or get a new bike. Liked the Spesh Enduro SL. Then I rode a 2008 Reign 1 last week and like it so much I ordered one. Should be riding it in a few days. Six inches travel and 29.5 pounds according to the LBS scale. They are different riding bikes, but I'm ready for something lighter.

    I've never been on a Reign.
    How does it compare to the AC - is it lighter and climbs better?

    Is the Reign basically a beefed up Trance?

    Coz - I would consider the Reign over a Trance - if it means that I can ride downhill like I'm on my AC - and climb hills like I'm on a Trance?

    Thanks.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Benno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,012
    Reign has more travel than AC but the new Reign design is pretty light and probably around the same weight or lighter. If you want a bike that is more in the same category as your AC then I think Trance X is more appropriate.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    78
    If you're not looking to spend a load of money on a new bike, I would recommend upgrading your front and rear shocks on that AC. Another thing that helped immensely on my AC was to change the rear travel from 6.6" to the 5" mode if you're going to be doing climbing. Also if you're still using those heavy DH Nevegals, switch those out immediately as they have very high rolling resistance. I just put on some 2.1 Dart/Smoke tires on mine and it makes a world of difference if you're going to be doing anything XC.

  12. #12

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by thedigitel
    If you're not looking to spend a load of money on a new bike, I would recommend upgrading your front and rear shocks on that AC. Another thing that helped immensely on my AC was to change the rear travel from 6.6" to the 5" mode if you're going to be doing climbing. Also if you're still using those heavy DH Nevegals, switch those out immediately as they have very high rolling resistance. I just put on some 2.1 Dart/Smoke tires on mine and it makes a world of difference if you're going to be doing anything XC.
    Great thanks for the TIPS.

    What rear shock would you recommend?

    Thanks.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    78
    What rear shock would you recommend?
    There's a number of options. I use a Romic Double D 7.5x2. I prefer the feel of a coil shock over air. Another good option is a Swinger 4 way. An air shock would save you some weight though, something like a Fox Float or a Fox RP23 would work.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skatetokil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    387
    Get some kind of shock with a platform. Makes a huge difference on that frame. Get a telescoping seat post so you can get full leg extension, replace the fork with a 36 talas or a sherman flick + so you can crank the front end down to climb, get some single ply high rollers, 2.35 rear 2.5 in the front. I miss my ac sometimes but it was such a pig on the uphills with the super t on the front.

  15. #15
    attending to my vices
    Reputation: moshelove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    460
    If you budget is under $800 bucks then get a fox float R with propedal and a Rock shox Pike Air fork. You can find both used on Ebay in excellent condition. Also browse this forum's classified ads as well as pink bike's. Tires are HUGE in the feel of speed. Put some Continental vertical 2.3s on there. They are cheap, excellent and fast! The only other place to lose a lot of weight depending on your setup is switching to an external XT crankset and BB.

    If you budget is higher, look into the new reign's. They will feel like your AC on the downhill's but probably better. Less break jack and they will pedal much more efficiently in general.

    I ride a reign with flat pedals and ride with friends on Trances with clipless and I keep up pretty darn well. The weight difference between the new Reign and the Trance is so marginal that I can't see justifying NOT buying a reign when you consider how well they pedal. When you decide to ride some downhill or some drops and jumps you will be much happier than your buddies on trances.

    I used to ride an overbuilt 4" kona kikapu xc bike with a similar suspension system to the AC if that helps and the reign is better in every way.

    Good luck!
    OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!

  16. #16

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by moshelove
    If you budget is under $800 bucks then get a fox float R with propedal and a Rock shox Pike Air fork. You can find both used on Ebay in excellent condition. Also browse this forum's classified ads as well as pink bike's. Tires are HUGE in the feel of speed. Put some Continental vertical 2.3s on there. They are cheap, excellent and fast! The only other place to lose a lot of weight depending on your setup is switching to an external XT crankset and BB.

    If you budget is higher, look into the new reign's. They will feel like your AC on the downhill's but probably better. Less break jack and they will pedal much more efficiently in general.

    I ride a reign with flat pedals and ride with friends on Trances with clipless and I keep up pretty darn well. The weight difference between the new Reign and the Trance is so marginal that I can't see justifying NOT buying a reign when you consider how well they pedal. When you decide to ride some downhill or some drops and jumps you will be much happier than your buddies on trances.

    I used to ride an overbuilt 4" kona kikapu xc bike with a similar suspension system to the AC if that helps and the reign is better in every way.

    Good luck!

    Thanks for the advice.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.