AC1 Eats Derailleur hangers- Mtbr.com
    dude

AC1 Eats Derailleur hangers

Hi everyone

I recently got a 2003 Giant AC1 Frame from a buddy of mine and built it up with some parts from my old hardtail. It's been great, but within 3 months, I've killed 2 derailleur hangers. It seems like at the end of a ride when I'm tooling around the yard it'll just ker-plunk off, sometimes taking the rear derailleur with it.

Is there something that I'm doing wrong? or is there some kind of damage that I'm missing?

It's getting kinda expensive at $18 a hanger at one of my LBS. Mostly it's just annoying because I can't ride.

Any kind of insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Come on winter!
    The hanger itself is breaking in half just riding around your yard? That seems very odd.

Could you be getting sticks caught in the rear wheel and twisting things up? Are you smacking your rear der. into rocks/roots/logs when riding?
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Is the chain length okay, taking in to account suspension movement?

dude
    chain length is fine and i'm not getting thing stuck in the rear wheel either. I don' thtink i'm hitting the derailleur into anything either. I'd noticed before when I've installed one that it seems to have a little "wiggle" when i press against it, is this normal? It's the hanger itself flexing, it seems, no looseness in installation or anything.

Come on winter!
    Your hanger should not move at all when properly installed.

Might be time for a shop to take a look or post some pictures.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ammar
    Jul 2006
    ur frame seems like it is a little warped at the rear axel drop-outs. This problem often occurs from harsh sun exposure, or prolonged sessions of liquid weathering. I ride Freeride with my AC, and my derruilur hanger breaks very rarely. And when it does break, it is from my derrauilur hitting something. This is generally the only thing which breaks derrauilur hangers. Drops,bumpy trails, and jumps do not effect the integrity of a Derrauilur hanger on a full suspension bike. The primary reason for your prblem with a constanly breaking derrauilur is undoubtably your Rear frame. Call up Giant, tell them your condition, and they will send you a new rear frame.

dude
    I think I might have found the problem. There was a small "tab" on the end of the frame where the hanger mounts. Probably from breaking a hanger previously. Anyways, I filed it down and now the hanger fits nice and snug. We'll see how it goes from here.

Members who have read this thread: 0