30.9 or 30.8 seatpost? 125mm fork a bad idea?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

New question here. 30.9 or 30.8 seatpost? 125mm fork a bad idea?

I just bought an 03 NRS 2 frame and I was wondering what size post to get. I want to get a Thomson and I've seen some people say they use 30.8 and some say 30.9. Is there much of a difference? It seems like the 30.8 size is a little harder to come by (at least on ebay).

Also, I have an 04 Bomber MX Comp fork with 125mm of travel that I was planning on using to build the bike. Is this a bad idea? I was considering selling it and buying an 03 black elite because they are really cheap right now. Any thoughts?

One other thing, what size bottom bracket do I need?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

I love Pisgah
    The 30.9 post will work fine.

I'd say no on the 125mm fork. The Black Elite would be much better. It'll be slack enough with the 100mm front already.

Usually 68x113mm BB is what you need.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    The 125 would definitely be choppered out. The Black Elite is a good call though, it works nicely on the NRS for a trail fork but not if you're going for weight. It's stiff and sucks up about all that you should be riding an NRS on.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

Mar 2004
    ok, my bike is a 02 AC

30.9 fits a little tight but i was able to push it in with a little force.
    30.8 was the correct size and it fits just right.

the shim says 27.2 and 30.8

both sizes work i guess, so my question was, " will there be any frame damage if i use 30.9 for a long term?"

as everyone r saying, there r more choices for a 30.9 seatpost.

mtbr member
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but don't you also need 410 length for the warrenty?

Jan 2004

No biggy but...

Quote Originally Posted by Grazuh
    I just bought an 03 NRS 2 frame and I was wondering what size post to get. I want to get a Thomson and I've seen some people say they use 30.8 and some say 30.9. Is there much of a difference? It seems like the 30.8 size is a little harder to come by (at least on ebay).

Also, I have an 04 Bomber MX Comp fork with 125mm of travel that I was planning on using to build the bike. Is this a bad idea? I was considering selling it and buying an 03 black elite because they are really cheap right now. Any thoughts?

The MX Comp has 120mm not 125mm of travel.

old_dude

Mar 2004

If you pull the shim out it should say 30.8. Use that size. Also NEVER I mean NEVER did I say NEVER!!!!!!!!!!! buy a used seat post. You have no idea who much it has been fatigued. For example a 6 mo old seat post that has been jumped all day long has more fatigue stress than a 6 year old post that has been riden on the bike paths. If your seat post breaks and it is new you have warranty and a company to sue if you need, but a used one is just that a used one.

Mar 2004

The NRS is seigned with a 80 mm fork. The best fork in my opinion is the Manitou Black 80 SPV. It weighs as much as the Skareb and has more tire clearance.