2020 Trance 29- Mtbr.com

Thread: 2020 Trance 29

mtbr member
    Jul 2018

2020 Trance 29

2020 Trance Advance Pro is now showing up on Giant USA website

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bi...ed-pro-29-2020

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Trance 29-my20_trance_advanced_pro_29_3.jpg  

2020 Trance 29-my20tranceadpro293_colorb.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

2020 Giant Trance Pro 29 ....either the 1 or 0

2020 Trance 29-2020-trance-pro.jpeg

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Nice find, I reckon it will be the 1, the 0 will probably be Kashima, or not?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Looks to be the 1.
    0 looks amazing. and pricey.
    https://bikedepot.com/bikes-gear/202...es-first-look/

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Few more colours starting to pop up

2020 Trance 29-67156257_10161980228995721_4990642484875886592_o.jpg2020 Trance 29-67084368_10161980229250721_1564423605431828480_o.jpg2020 Trance 29-my20tranceadpro293_colorb.jpg

that guy
    Jun 2011
    I'm demoing an aluminum 2019 build on Wednesday. If I like it, I'll likely go with a 2020 carbon model unless they offer me a really sick closeout deal on one of their 2019 carbon builds.

Pretty excited about this bike, so I really hope it lives up to the hype during my demo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by lwkwafi View Post
    Looks to be the 1.
    0 looks amazing. and pricey.
    https://bikedepot.com/bikes-gear/202...es-first-look/
    Nice find

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Edit: oops, got excited about the Fox 36 on the Advanced Pro 1 picture, but didn't realize it was the 27.5 bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    2020 models now on Australian website

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/bikes/off-road/trail

mtbr member
    Trance Advanced 1 gets GS RSC Brakes, and the Advanced Pro 29 1 is stuck with Guide T
    Almost = Didn't

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Ugh. Why do Guide Trash brakes still exist? I thought the G2 shit would get rid of them. I replaced my T levers with RSCs.

mtbr member
    Why cant they give us an aluminum build in 29 with a decent component spec? I want to buy a Trance 29, but they are making it really hard. I don't want carbon.

And why would you ever lace a dt 370 hub to a carbon rim? The 350 is about the same price and vastly superior.

And seriously, no shimano 12 speed options for 2020?

Two thumbs down.
    '16 Giant Trance

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ActivNva View Post
    Why cant they give us an aluminum build in 29 with a decent component spec? I want to buy a Trance 29, but they are making it really hard. I don't want carbon.

And why would you ever lace a dt 370 hub to a carbon rim? The 350 is about the same price and vastly superior.

And seriously, no shimano 12 speed options for 2020?

Two thumbs down.
    Your wish has been granted.....

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-29-2-2020

This seems like a really solid value and is definitely high on my list of next bike purchase.

mtbr member
    2020 Trance 29-2020-trance-side.jpg2020 Trance 29-2020-trance-rear.jpg2020 Trance 29-2020-trance-front.jpg

2020 Trance 2 Alloy 29er!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020 Trance side.jpg 
Views:	1291 
Size:	460.5 KB 
ID:	1293607Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020 Trance rear.jpg 
Views:	1027 
Size:	455.1 KB 
ID:	1293609Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020 Trance front.jpg 
Views:	677 
Size:	464.6 KB 
ID:	1293611

2020 Trance 2 Alloy 29er!
    Nice ride. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just picked up the same bike as above, 2020 Trance 2 29! Went with a size large for my 6' and it feels great with hardly any adjustments so far. With all reflectors and my old Deity compound pedals it weighed in at 30.14 pounds at the shop.

Still working on suspension setup as I've only had it a few days but everything feels really good so far, though of course it's a brand new bike and I'm coming from a '14 Fuel EX 7 with 3x9 and no dropper post. Will be replacing the grips very soon though.

Was kind of curious to see it didn't come with a downtube protector though - does anyone know if I can buy the one that comes stock on the Advanced Pro 29 models?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by edvurd View Post
    Was kind of curious to see it didn't come with a downtube protector though - does anyone know if I can buy the one that comes stock on the Advanced Pro 29 models?
    Not quite what you're after, but a nice bit of bling.
    https://www.rockguardz.com/rockguard...on-x-2019.html

I've got a second wheel set for XC duties, unfortunately the shifting is a little off when I swap the wheels over. Not sure if this is normal, or if it's because I just didn't install the cassette to 40Nm? (GX 12 Speed if that makes a difference).

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Just picked up my trance 29 2 2020 in small this week. Love it! I'm new to mtb, I mostly ride road, this is my first full sus. One thing I noticed was that I wasn't able to get the same kind of leg extension when pedalling compared to road. I have the seat height up as high as I can get it whilst still being able to touch the floor on tip toes. At the bottom of my pedal stroke my knees are more bent than id like though. Is that normal on mtb or is this a bike sizing / geometry issue?

I was thinking it's probably something to do with a mixture of being a smaller rider (168cm), the small size frame and 29ers having a higher bb to accomodate the wheel size? Perhaps a 27.5 would have been better in this regard?

Anything I can try to improve it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Is your seat in the correct horizontal offset from pedals to suit your size? Plenty of You Tube videos to show how knee position should relate to pedal axle when horizontal. If the seat needs to slide rearwards it will give a little more extension. Of course that will affect the reach, but a shorter stem could be fitted.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by imran99 View Post
    Just picked up my trance 29 2 2020 in small this week. Love it! I'm new to mtb, I mostly ride road, this is my first full sus. One thing I noticed was that I wasn't able to get the same kind of leg extension when pedalling compared to road. I have the seat height up as high as I can get it whilst still being able to touch the floor on tip toes. At the bottom of my pedal stroke my knees are more bent than id like though. Is that normal on mtb or is this a bike sizing / geometry issue?

I was thinking it's probably something to do with a mixture of being a smaller rider (168cm), the small size frame and 29ers having a higher bb to accomodate the wheel size? Perhaps a 27.5 would have been better in this regard?

This is simply because the BB height is higher than what you're used to. The BB drop (how far the down frame/BB sits in relation to the center axis of the wheels) is actually greater on 29ers than smaller wheeled bikes. The Trance has a very reasonable BB height (i.e., NOT high) compared to other full suspension bikes. Make sure you are running enough sag in the suspension, which should be around 25% of the available travel. Regardless, you shouldn't expect to be able to sit in the saddle and touch your toes on the ground, if your saddle height is correct. Maybe on a road bike, but not a mountain bike. If you need to put a foot down while seated, lean the bike over to the side. Or, side forward off the saddle and just put your feet down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

I've never been able to be on the seat and touch the ground on any of the bikes I've had. When I come to a stop I either lean way over to one side, get off the seat, grab a tree or find a log to put my foot on.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    > Is your seat in the correct horizontal offset from pedals to suit your size?

Seat is all the way back at the moment yes.

> Regardless, you shouldn't expect to be able to sit in the saddle and touch your toes on the ground, if your saddle height is correct.

> I've never been able to be on the seat and touch the ground on any of the bikes I've had. When I come to a stop I either lean way over to one side, get of the seat or grab a tree.

Great, thanks for the info guys. I'll keep that in mind.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Hey Guys, another noob question. I was looking at putting on a oneup chain / bash guard on my trance 2 (size s frame) but I noticed it doesnít seem to fit because it rubs the backside of the chainring, even without adding any of the provided spacers to the guard. I guess that means the trance 29 2wont be compatible with chain/bash guards?

mtbr member
    I run a OneUp chain guide on my Trance 29 1 (size M) with zero issues. Sounds like something is bent or out of alignment. Reach out to OneUp, I'm sure they'll sort you out

mtbr member
    Hey Guys, another noob question. I was looking at putting on a oneup chain / bash guard on my trance 2 (size s frame) but I noticed it doesnít seem to fit because it rubs the backside of the chainring, even without adding any of the provided spacers to the guard. I guess that means the trance 29 2wont be compatible with chain/bash guards?
    I run a wolftooth chain guide on mine with no issues. I don't run a bash. I use my chainring as my bash guard because I like to live dangerously and ride recklessly. :P

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Haha, what size frame is it? I wonder if it is something to do with the size S having a slightly smaller Q factor or something?

mtbr member
    Haha, what size frame is it? I wonder if it is something to do with the size S having a slightly smaller Q factor or something?
    q factor is the same on all of the models. I own an XL.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slomtbr View Post
    Trance Advanced 1 gets GS RSC Brakes, and the Advanced Pro 29 1 is stuck with Guide T
    I called ahead when I found a local shop with a 2020 Advanced Pro 29 1 in stock and asked how much more to replace the Guide T brakes with Code R. Answer: $0! And they replaced the 180 front rotor with a 200mm at no charge as well.
    Apparently, at the time the bike was assembled, there was a shortage on Fox DPX2 shocks, so I got a DVO T3 Air. The shop said I can trade for a Fox when the Giant distributor has them if I don't like the DVO.
    Northern California is getting its first rain in several weeks today, so I'll report later on the bike, brakes, and shock.
    2020 Trance 29-img_1461.jpeg
    Almost = Didn't

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    hi, i"m thinking in getttin the same fram as your , can you weight your bike? i am interested in see how much is the difference compare to a carbon frame. thanks . i know is not related to your problem but can help . thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joseq72 View Post
    hi, i"m thinking in getttin the same fram as your , can you weight your bike? i am interested in see how much is the difference compare to a carbon frame. thanks . i know is not related to your problem but can help . thanks
    Giant's UK site has weights of bikes.
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/bikes/mountain-bikes
    Almost = Didn't

mtbr member
    I called ahead when I found a local shop with a 2020 Advanced Pro 29 1 in stock and asked how much more to replace the Guide T brakes with Code R. Answer: $0! And they replaced the 180 front rotor with a 200mm at no charge as well.
    Apparently, at the time the bike was assembled, there was a shortage on Fox DPX2 shocks, so I got a DVO T3 Air. The shop said I can trade for a Fox when the Giant distributor has them if I don't like the DVO.
    Northern California is getting its first rain in several weeks today, so I'll report later on the bike, brakes, and shock.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1461.jpeg 
Views:	220 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	1314451
    Trade that dvo for a dpx2 as fast as you can before that deal evaporates and becomes forgotten. Sounds like you have a rad lbs. good on you for supporting them!

mtbr member
    It's about time they did that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    And any long backed 6ft 5" riders on the XL? how do you find it. Thanks..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by al8565 View Post
    And any long backed 6ft 5" riders on the XL? how do you find it. Thanks..
    I'm 6'2" - 34" inseam on an XL. If I were 3" taller the XL would not fit me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    I'm 6'2" - 34" inseam on an XL. If I were 3" taller the XL would not fit me.
    That is very helpful thank you, since you have the same inseam as me.

Currently bike is an XXL Camber, and suspect I need to stay on an XXL then. Rules out Giant, probably a Trek Fuel EX now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    How is the T3 lighter than the T2? I know 2 piston vs 4 piston may be some of it but I'd think the other parts would more than make up for it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    hi, i have read that it is possible to increase travel/stroke (42.5mm to 45mm) of the fox dps rear shock.
    I am little confused about how this can be done. Some say that you need to cut something others say open the shock and remove the spacer inside.
    Could someone please describe this process.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Both are saying the same thing. If you take your air can off the shock and remove the volume spacer you will see a black alloy ring that can move up and down the damper rod between the top of the shock and the flat alloy washer that sits inside the volume spacer. That is what needs to be removed. Easiest option is to get a competent suspension shop to remove it cause trying to cut it without damaging the damper rod looks to be very tricky

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    thanks for the explanation, i thought it has to do only with the volume spacer.
    So if this black alloy ring removed then the stroke changes to 45mm.
    Is this will affect the rear travel as well the rocker arm movement ?
    Is it safe to do it ?

mtbr member
    Yes, stroke changes to 45mm from 42.5mm as the spacer is 2.5mm thick. This means the rear wheel travel goes from 115mm to ~122mm. The rocker moves 2.5mm further down to full bottom out, but the starting position is unchanged. Depending on your frame size, the seat stay bridge can get quite tight to the seat tube. IIRC from another thread there is something like 3mm clearance on a size M frame at full bottom out with the 45mm stroke shock. This might not be enough to stop the bridge hitting the seat tube under big compressions when the rear triangle flexes. Another member on an XL Trance 29 has done this and he said the increased travel isnít super noticeable, but upgrading to a DPX2 shock (or a Super Deluxe in my case) has made the 115mm travel feel like more than it is. For me, removing the spacer is not a risk I want to take for the size frame I have and the riding I do

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    thanks for the information

mtbr member
    What sag are you guys running on the DPX2 shock?
    2020 Giant Trance Advanced Pro 1

mtbr member
    25% or 10.6mm

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thinking of getting some new grips/pedals for my 29 2 (the black/olive green one). What colors would you guys suggest? Probably go with Deity so they would match. I have green Compound v1 on there now and they're alright. Thinking black, green again, or maybe blue/purple?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edvurd View Post
    Thinking of getting some new grips/pedals for my 29 2 (the black/olive green one). What colors would you guys suggest? Probably go with Deity so they would match. I have green Compound v1 on there now and they're alright. Thinking black, green again, or maybe blue/purple?
    black but it's subjective. I don't think of grips as an item worth gaining attention, so i keep it as stealth as possible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yeah I'm generally with you on that, just thinking of having a bit of color in there as it doesn't have much as is.

mtbr member
    Grips in any color other than black or dark gray are going to look dirty real soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Black ESI chunky silicone grips, you can thank me later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Finally finished my new 2020 Trance 3 29:

Trance 29 3 Frame
    Answer Protaper carbon bars
    FiffyFifty 50 mm stem
    Descendant carbon Cranks
    Stans Sentry/Hope Pro4 wheels
    Shimano XT shifter/derailleur
    Oneup Switch Oval 28t
    Sram 10-50 cassette 10-42
    Deore M6000 brakes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Trance 29-unnamed.jpg  

2020 Giant Trance 29
    2018 Jamis Dragonslayer
    2018 Orbea Alma
    1998 Trek 930

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I've been rocking the Protaper Carbon bars on 2 bikes for over a year. Did you get them from bikewagon? I see they still have some for a great deal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by DarnGood View Post
    I've been rocking the Protaper Carbon bars on 2 bikes for over a year. Did you get them from bikewagon? I see they still have some for a great deal.
    Yes, via Amazon. I have the flat bar version on my Alma, love them. Cheap and good.
    Gman
    2020 Giant Trance 29
    2018 Jamis Dragonslayer
    2018 Orbea Alma
    1998 Trek 930

3 on the tree
    Quote Originally Posted by Grodyman View Post
    Finally finished my new 2020 Trance 3 29:

Trance 29 3 Frame
    Answer Protaper carbon bars
    FiffyFifty 50 mm stem
    Descendant carbon Cranks
    Stans Sentry/Hope Pro4 wheels
    Shimano XT shifter/derailleur
    Oneup Switch Oval 28t
    Sram 10-50 cassette 10-42
    Deore M6000 brakes
    In my opinion, the best looking Trance in the 2020 lineup, that color is beautiful! If I end up with a Trance, I'll put upgrades on the 3 frame as well.

I'm curious, how is XT the shifting using a SRAM cassette?
    Smog builds character.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamthief View Post
    In my opinion, the best looking Trance in the 2020 lineup, that color is beautiful! If I end up with a Trance, I'll put upgrades on the 3 frame as well.

I'm curious, how is XT the shifting using a SRAM cassette?
    The XT drivetrain works great. May have been a mistake to go with the 11 speed as it seems to be phasing out.
    2020 Giant Trance 29
    2018 Jamis Dragonslayer
    2018 Orbea Alma
    1998 Trek 930