2020 Giant Trance 29 3- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

2020 Giant Trance 29 3

I have my eye on this bike to replace my very old 2nd gen Santa Cruz Nomad size Large. I'm getting back into rideing after having to take a few years off due to health issues. I have taken the nomad out a few times recently and pretty stoked to get back into it. I think its time to replace the old bike. I'm 6 foot and 32" inseam and I'm leaning towards the size large Trance. Looking for a bike that climbs and decends well. Reviews seem good and it fits my budget. I'm a portly 230lbs right now,will the Fox Float DPS hold up my big butt? Just looking for advice on frame size and if the shock can take it.

mtbr member
    I'm 250 and have a 2016 Trance 2 and it has held up well over multiple seasons of use. I don't ride crazy, but do enjoy a month of bike park riding in Angel Fire each summer. The only thing I have replaced were the rims, wanted to run 2.6" tires and have better hubs too.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Lu View Post
    I have my eye on this bike to replace my very old 2nd gen Santa Cruz Nomad size Large. I'm getting back into rideing after having to take a few years off due to health issues. I have taken the nomad out a few times recently and pretty stoked to get back into it. I think its time to replace the old bike. I'm 6 foot and 32" inseam and I'm leaning towards the size large Trance. Looking for a bike that climbs and decends well. Reviews seem good and it fits my budget. I'm a portly 230lbs right now,will the Fox Float DPS hold up my big butt? Just looking for advice on frame size and if the shock can take it.
    At 6 foot, frame size might be a matter of preference, but I'd lean you towards the XL. I'm 6'3" and feel like the XL could be just a touch longer - thinking about a little longer stem, but haven't done it. Can't speak about the shock and weight, as my Trance 29 has the DPX2, which works very well for me. I bottomed the fork out on a 2 wheeled landing off a drop the other day, but still had a touch of travel left on the shock, so I thought that was pretty good.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Can't comment on weight, but I'd be careful with sizing. For this particular bike, I'd say you're on the L/XL cusp. I'm 6'2 and was running an XL when I owned the new Trance; it's not a big bike. A lot depends on your limb length.

Be sure to test-fit before you buy.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    im 6'2", 205lbs, 36in inseam and ride a large. i feel an XL would be sluggish

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for the responses guy's. So far I have only researched this bike on the web and had a recommendation from my son who rented one last year,and loved it. I will try to test fit the two sizes. I was leaning towards the large because compared to my old bike its quite longer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Lu View Post
    Thanks for the responses guy's. So far I have only researched this bike on the web and had a recommendation from my son who rented one last year,and loved it. I will try to test fit the two sizes. I was leaning towards the large because compared to my old bike its quite longer.
    Keep in mind the seat angle is way steeper than your current bike which will contribute to the trance seeming shorter than currently guessed at when seated.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    TCX advanced SX

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Looking to replace my first generation RIP9 RDO with a Trance 29 3. Seems like a hell of a good deal for the frame and kit. Just trying to decide which color. The Neon Red is appealing, but is probably a little too loud, considering I already have a Race Red F-150. Matte Sand Beige looks nice in the photos. Looks similar to Corvette Pewter without the metallic. Hard to decide with no bikes in stock locally to view in person. Opinions?

Lots of pictures in the article here: https://off.road.cc/content/news/fir...-stack-up-4663

mtbr member
    At 6í 34.5Ē inseam, no chance I would ride an XL. I test rode a 19 and 2020 0 model around the streets today. One had a 40mm stem and felt noticeably shorter than the other with a 50mm stem, felt perfect for me. I thought the bikes pedaled and accelerated well in the 10 min test rides I had.

mtbr member
    I'm the same with 35" inseam and I ride a large 2019 2.

TCX advanced SX

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm 6'3" with a 36" inseem. I'll be going XL. I need all the stack height I can get, and stand-over clearance has never been an issue at my height. I prefer using front-center and reach/stack as primary metrics for bike fit. The trails I ride are mostly tight and twisty with punchy climbs, but I've found the slightly longer geometry doesn't really get in the way, while inspiring more confidence in the rough and fast stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I ended up getting a Large Advanced Pro 29 in Charcoal color a week and a half ago. Rode it 5 times last week,could not be happier. I am a shitty climber,but this bike makes me look like a hero Descending, its hard to believe its such a small travel bike. Great Bike!

mtbr member
    The stack height will see you wanting a higher rise bar.

TCX advanced SX

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jhtopilko View Post
    The stack height will see you wanting a higher rise bar.

I swear some of these bike companies must have midgets.. excuse me, I mean little people... dictating the stack height on XL frames. I don't recall seeing people ever complain about stack height being too high on any XL trail bikes. That's one metric that Specialized gets right on their frames. Anyways, I'm going to ask the dealer to not cut down the steer tube, assuming they don't come that way from the factory.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
    I swear some of these bike companies must have midgets.. excuse me, I mean little people... dictating the stack height on XL frames. I don't recall seeing people ever complain about stack height being too high on any XL trail bikes. That's one metric that Specialized gets right on their frames. Anyways, I'm going to ask the dealer to not cut down the steer tube, assuming they don't come that way from the factory.
    You're right and it's extremely rare for stack heights to be high enough. I have a 40mm rise on my large, which has the same head tube as the medium.

TCX advanced SX