2019 Trance 29 sizing med vs lg- Mtbr.com
    surly inbred

2019 Trance 29 sizing med vs lg

I'm interested in feedback from others on sizing as I will likely be picking up an advanced pro 2 soon. I've scrolled through the monster Trance thread & it seems most folks are sizing up. I am 5' 10" with a measured 31" inseam (32"pants inseam) & a wingspan of 5' 9". Currently ride a medium Krampus & the fit is fine (have always ridden med's). so leaning towards a medium Trance.

Gracias

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    L is 462 reach with a 50mm stem. You can drop to a 40mm stem like on the M if needed.

Your M is 426 reach with a 70mm stem.

mtbr member
    I'm just under 5'9" tall and use a 50mm stem on my Medium Trance Pro 29. Have you ridden either size?
    I also have a shorter inseam, closer to 29" and have 1.54" of seat tube showing on the stock dropper.
    My inclination would be to go to a large, but you could go either way.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 04-07-2019 at 06:07 AM.

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Your M is 426 reach with a 70mm stem.
    I'm on the legacy Krampus, so reach is 421.6

Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Have you ridden either size?
    ...but you could go either way.
    Not yet, it is a significant road trip that I've not managed to line up yet. Having not been on full squish in a number of years, I'm a bit concerned that a Large with new style geo will feel too long for my local riding which can often be tight & twisty. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
    I'm a bit concerned that a Large with new style geo will feel too long for my local riding which can often be tight & twisty. Thanks
    The difference in wheelbase between the M and L is 0.8".
    I went from a Pivot 5.7 to an SB5 with a longer wheelbase. I was able to make tight, climbing switchbacks more easily on the longer SB5 with different geometry. A longer bike in the exact same geometry may not be quite as maneuverable, but compared to your current bike it may be more maneuverable.
    Sadly, the only way to be sure is to sit on both bikes and see what feels best. I'd shy away from deciding based on .8" of wheelbase difference, though.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Id say youre a large, but it could go either way. Its not a big bike. My XL wheelbase is 2 inches YES, 2 FREAKING INCHES shorter than my XL Ripmo.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I currently ride a XL Trance Advanced 2 (27.5) I stand 6'3" .. in the 27.5 the L frame felt like a clown bike all cramped reach was way too short.. hated it test rode it for ~2mins and said NOPE.. Rode the XL and it was perfect..

However I also rode the 29er Trance and I felt like the Large size was going to be better vs the XL in that case.. but I had kinda already decided on the 27.5 so.. I cut the rides short on the 29. But I would guess many people would say i was crazy and XL is the right size on the 29 as well for me?? whatever.. ideally if you can test ride both it would be best.