Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Trance 29

mtbr member

2019 Trance 29

Since this is such a new bike for Giant, maybe it's time to separate it out as a new thread.

Regarding weight:
    vitalmtb has a "claimed weight" of 26 or 27 pounds, without pedals.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/gui...ws/3273/expand
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 08-10-2018 at 07:15 AM.

NedwannaB
    Invalid link
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Invalid link
    Weird. New link posted.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The link is still broken. Anyone know when these will be in the shops? I need to replace my stolen Tantrum and the Trance is looking like a possibility.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Link works for me, a did yesterday as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Link works for me too.

I can't afford the top end one and I'm not worthy anyway. My shop says carbon models are maybe 5 weeks out for me. Hopefully it happens sooner. However, My shop built a medium Alloy model yesterday, and I gave it it's maiden voyage today.

I really liked it. I'm just an average rider, and this was only my 5th dirt ride since having ACL surgery right before last Thanksgiving. I also do not have a lot of good FS rides on other bikes to compare much. If this Alloy model had been speced with wider rims, I probably would have bought it as is. Instead, I'll be waiting for the Trance Adv Pro 29 2 model.

Brakes hadn't been bedded in, but I didn't have any trouble with them. Everything seemed to work well, and the shifting of the NX Eagle was really good. (yeah the cassette is big and heavy) Shock and fork felt fine, but I would need to be a lot more careful when I'm got my own bike to the settings to get them better for me.

I thought it climbed well and descended well. I felt the it steered well too. I can compare this to a Transition Smuggler that I did a short demo on (before my knee was really ready). I felt that both bikes were good climbers actually. The steeper STA on both felt good to me. Both bike probably weighed similar even though the Smuggler was carbon. However, I found that there was something (to me) that felt odd or off with the steering while JRA flats and a bit on the DHs. So even though the alloy Giant may have a similar shorter offset to the one on the Smuggler, the Trance 29 never felt weird, and it actually felt quite natural to me. Basically my next bike is going to be a Trance 29. I like it more than any of the other bikes I have ridden (small list = grain of salt). But it felt way more natural than the Smuggler, and more familiar than the Anthem SX which I bought before surgery and then oddly decided to sell. (nothing really wrong with it) But I like 29er, and have been on this wheelsize for something like 10 years.

NedwannaB
    Re-subd! 👍😎

NedwannaB
    Anthem SX as in 27.5? Ive been eyeing one of last years models sitting in lbs rack until seeing the Trace 29 in mech stand that they were putting together. 😜

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes, Anthem SX 27.5. Main complaint was 23mm internal rims, and it wasn't a 29er. Other than that, it was a fine bike.

Today I was supposed to ride the Transition Scout, but it didn't show so I was forced to ride the Trace 29 again. LOL Felt great again today. With less travel than other bikes I think it could get overwhelmed easier, but for me I think it's going to be great. For $3K I think this is a bike that would make a lot of people happy (if they don't care about riding boutique brands).

NedwannaB
    Where you demog those bikes if I may ask?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My LBS in Dublin CA.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    My LBS in Dublin CA.
    Interesting. My Giant lbs up here in Novato has Transition as-well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My shop doesn't have a lot of demos of anything. The Scout I was going to ride is the owners. I was going to get a RM Instinct, but now I'm definitely getting the Trace 29. (not that is tons better, but I think it will make me happy)

I really should have taken a picture of the blue alloy frame. It looks great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ive always wanted a blue bike

mtbr member
    I was really excited about this bike when I heard it was coming out. I want a short travel 29er. I ride a 2016 Trance now. Giant has always offered such great value, as in you get more bike for your money. The geometry sounds perfect for me too. Seems like Giant nailed it.

But, I have to say that I am disappointed in the build kits. I would have liked to see a better outfitted aluminum version in the US. If you want something that shifts better than SRAM NX, and has wheels that are wider than 25mm then you have to buy the $5k advanced model. For $5k, you might as well buy a Trail 429 or a Tallboy. Or save some money and get a Fuel EX8. The Fuel has a 54T hub, 30mm internal rims, and GX eagle for basically the same money as the aluminum trance 29. Did Giant not do a market analysis? Boutique pricing from a mainstream company, epic fail in my opinion.

Does anybody know anything about the wheels the aluminum version is speced with? It only took me a year of riding to blow up the wheels that came on my current trance.
    '16 Giant Trance

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ActivNva View Post
    Or save some money and get a Fuel EX8. The Fuel has a 54T hub, 30mm internal rims, and GX eagle for basically the same money as the aluminum trance 29.
    Meh...the Fuel EX8 is a pretty boring bike. Both the Fuel and Trance have house-brand wheels, those Bontrager Line Comp 30's are not an upgrade over the Giant wheels...they're both heavy aluminum wheels. Sure the 30mm width might be nice. Really, the only upgrade is the GX Eagle vs NX Eagle and for the $250 price difference you can swap that yourself. Boutique pricing? Seems pretty in line with the market to me. The 2019 Stumpjumper is $3k with essentially an SLX build. Again, seems right in line with the Alu Trance.

mtbr member
    The line comp 30s come with a 54T hub. The giant branded wheels that came on my current trance came had an 18T hub. I am running DT swiss wheels now with the 54T upgrade.

And that is a good point about swapping out the NX parts immediately. It's not that big of a deal, but I still wish the sold a better speced aluminum model. The 27.5 trance 2 is speced with slx (which I would prefer) and the Giant AM wheels for less money. I've had a set of the AM wheels and the hub is not as bad as the performance tracker. That hub grenaded on me in a little over 1,000 miles. It free spins in both directions...

And honestly even though i am more interested in the new trance, the fuel is a solid bike. I rented one for a weekend in New Mexico and liked it. It climbs really well and goes down almost as well as my 27.5 trance. My LBS is trek and giant. All my friends ride fuels and love them. It's nice that you can run plus wheels on it if you want too. I've got a friend who swaps wheelsets depending on where we are going.
    '16 Giant Trance

NedwannaB

Did somebody say blue?

My shop doesn't have a lot of demos of anything. The Scout I was going to ride is the owners. I was going to get a RM Instinct, but now I'm definitely getting the Trace 29. (not that is tons better, but I think it will make me happy)

I really should have taken a picture of the blue alloy frame. It looks great.
    *Disclaimer-No enhancements were injured in this pic!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Trance 29-fd53bb0d-8b95-4cf7-a52d-feae74bd43dc.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Nice Blue

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    yikes thats much darker then i thought. black will do then i guess

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by fishywishy View Post
    yikes thats much darker then i thought. black will do then i guess
    Pretty bright actually. Similar to the Niner RIP9 if that makes sense. I think the black one has some green in it. Unless youre talking carbon.

mtbr member
    I got a couple rides on the Adv 1 model. Im 5 11 and the lrg was a perfect fit. I was a little skeptical when first saw the specs but all that faded away once I got on the bike. The minion tires, 50mm stem and 780 bars were a great fit for the bikes intention. I hit fast flowing to high speed baby heads and you do not feel you are on a 115 bike. It would leave the ground at a moments notice and loved to jib and play all over the trail. The dpx piggyback shock worked perfectly in the back and helped provide great support. Went in with a little negativity about the guide t brakes especially coming off Code RSC brakes but they worked great and I had no issues and basically forgot about them. The bike has a very neutral feel to it and I felt right at home within the first 100 yards of trail. Im glad they steepened the seat angle over previous bikes definitely helped put you in a better climbing position. Now I am basing this info of a couple rides so just initial impressions, but from what I rode this bike was a blast to ride and I had a constant smile! If you are looking for a fun trail bike it is def worth taking one out for a demo👍🏻

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikers Only View Post
    I got a couple rides on the Adv 1 model. Im 5 11 and the lrg was a perfect fit. I was a little skeptical when first saw the specs but all that faded away once I got on the bike. The minion tires, 50mm stem and 780 bars were a great fit for the bikes intention. I hit fast flowing to high speed baby heads and you do not feel you are on a 115 bike. It would leave the ground at a moments notice and loved to jib and play all over the trail. The dpx piggyback shock worked perfectly in the back and helped provide great support. Went in with a little negativity about the guide t brakes especially coming off Code RSC brakes but they worked great and I had no issues and basically forgot about them. The bike has a very neutral feel to it and I felt right at home within the first 100 yards of trail. Im glad they steepened the seat angle over previous bikes definitely helped put you in a better climbing position. Now I am basing this info of a couple rides so just initial impressions, but from what I rode this bike was a blast to ride and I had a constant smile! If you are looking for a fun trail bike it is def worth taking one out for a demo👍🏻
    How do you think the bike handled in chunky stuff? Also does the green paint look like the 2018 reign advanced 1?.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    That blue above looks super off, here is a pic I took from a shop in town.

2019 Trance 29-20180811_145722-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Anyone try fitting a 275+ ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BradOlsen84 View Post
    How do you think the bike handled in chunky stuff? Also does the green paint look like the 2018 reign advanced 1?.

Cheers
    Never saw the reign but it looks like the trance its probably darker. It felt pretty stable in some light chunk I think due to the shorter offset. Hopefully will get one out in to some good gnar soon.

mtbr member
    With a Minion 2.8

2019 Trance 29-img_0668.jpg2019 Trance 29-img_0667.jpg2019 Trance 29-img_0670.jpg

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Naolin View Post
    That blue above looks super off, here is a pic I took from a shop in town.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180811_145722 (1).jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	174.4 KB 
ID:	1212323
    Looks pretty similar. Probly different lighting/angle? But whatever dude...

NedwannaB
    Is that a 27.5+ Minion?
    Last edited by JMac47; 08-16-2018 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thx for the blue pic. the color def looked off before.

any idea of the bb height with 29er wheels?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thank you!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    or with the 2.8

thx for the blue pic. the color def looked off before.

any idea of the bb height with 29er wheels?

mtbr member
    No BB height listed? Does anyone know the frame only weight?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    they only list the bb drop. i guess you could compare it to other brands but it would be nice if they just stated it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I think BB drop is the better way to compare it across brands. You never know how brands measure bottom bracket height...is it sagged at 20%, 30%, not sagged? It'd be nice if there was a standard for that, but for now I think BB drop is about as good as you're gonna get.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    hmm. I just did a roll out to measure my 2.8 rocket ron. Would give a bb height of 12.53. this seem a bit too low.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Wish the carbon 1 and 2 models had alloy rear ends with either a lower cost or better spec. The Adv Pro 2 in the matte silver has my eye. So many good bikes in this category though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2m2hs View Post
    I think BB drop is the better way to compare it across brands. You never know how brands measure bottom bracket height...is it sagged at 20%, 30%, not sagged? It'd be nice if there was a standard for that, but for now I think BB drop is about as good as you're gonna get.
    Just a basic estimate would be nice. If it was too difficult the majority of bike companies wouldn't list it. One would think that bike companies measure the BB height from their suggested sag point.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Just ordered a TRANCE ADVANCED PRO 29ER 1...

Will update when it comes in my LBS.

mtbr member
    The jump from the advanced 2 to the advanced 1 is $700, and the only difference is GX over NX. Retail for GX eagle is a little over $400 (chain, shifter, derailleur, cassette) from SRAM's website. Am I missing something?
    '16 Giant Trance

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Am I missing something?
    Differences in the forks and shocks. I have no idea how much $ that would account for.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The jump from the advanced 2 to the advanced 1 is $700, and the only difference is GX over NX. Retail for GX eagle is a little over $400 (chain, shifter, derailleur, cassette) from SRAM's website. Am I missing something?
    The Advanced 1 has the DPX2 shock vs. the DPS on the 2. You'd also have to get the XD driver to upgrade to the GX cassette. Relatively minor overall, but probably worth the $700.00 difference if those things matter to you. If you don't ride 20+ minute descents then the DPS is probably fine. Having the XD driver will allow you to run any of the light(er) Eagle cassettes if you want (GX, XO or XX1) which is nice if you care about weight at all...by all accounts the NX Eagle cassette is a boat anchor.

mtbr member
    Ok, that makes a lot more sense. I totally missed the suspension changes. I still wish they had an aluminum option with the same build kit as the advanced 1.
    '16 Giant Trance

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ok, that makes a lot more sense. I totally missed the suspension changes. I still wish they had an aluminum option with the same build kit as the advanced 1.
    They do every where but North America.. no idea why.

mtbr member
    I'm looking pretty hard at the Pro 29 0 for next spring....

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    What country are you based in mate? Here in Canada we only get the Pro 29 1 D:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by K_GIANT_98 View Post
    What country are you based in mate? Here in Canada we only get the Pro 29 1 D:
    Estados Unidos
    I don't think these or the Pro 1 will be available here for a while, but they should be widely available by the time I'm serious. Probably next April or so. Very interested in the DVO Fork/shock setup and I'm running out of time to spend all of the children's inheritance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Anyone seen / got photos of one in XL? Some Giants look a touch ungainly in barn gate size so was hoping they'd broken the curse

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i tested a trance 2 29 in xl today. the blue looks very nice. but holy crap its 32 lbs...parking lot and curb test felt good, didnt really notice the weight. the xl reach felt a smidge short. a rough bb measurement came to 13 7/8". i think it could fit max a 2.5 maxxis in the back.

mtbr member
    You also get slightly higher quality parts in the performance grip fork (same crown and stanchions as factory but with out kashima) on the Adv 1. Having ridden both you could def feel the difference in the suspension. The dpx2 felt more composed and felt like you had more travel. You save weight with the other parts and the shifting def has a crisper feel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikers Only View Post
    You also get slightly higher quality parts in the performance grip fork (same crown and stanchions as factory but with out kashima) on the Adv 1. Having ridden both you could def feel the difference in the suspension. The dpx2 felt more composed and felt like you had more travel. You save weight with the other parts and the shifting def has a crisper feel.
    Yesterday Ive also had a look at the specs and found out that the Advanced 1 has only a aluminum riser... thats in my opinion a little bit of a shame for a bike in this price class...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    They do every where but North America.. no idea why.
    If it's like last year then it's not even North America as Canada got the aluminum 1 models with the good parts.
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/trance-1-ge
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/anthem-1

The paint job on that Anthem 1 is awesome. Inspired by Val Kilmer's helmet in Top Gun, no doubt.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My LBS in Dublin CA.
    Must be my go to shop as well...Dublin Cyclery?? Robert and his guys are F@CKIN AWESOME !

NedwannaB
    i tested a trance 2 29 in xl today. the blue looks very nice. but holy crap its 32 lbs...
    Same relative weight as an alloy EX7-8. And other brands in their similar model lines.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    i tested a trance 2 29 in xl today. the blue looks very nice. but holy crap its 32 lbs...parking lot and curb test felt good, didnt really notice the weight. the xl reach felt a smidge short. a rough bb measurement came to 13 7/8". i think it could fit max a 2.5 maxxis in the back.
    How tall are you?

mtbr member
    I test rode a Large Trance 2 yesterday and even with a reach 18mm longer than my previous bike, the seated reach is shorter due to the steeper seat tube. The shop added 10psi above my body weight in the Float DPS and the rear wallowed like nothing I'm used to. I didn't check the sag numbers and I'm not used to that much of rear movement coming from a Yeti, But I could also be way to low on PSI. Just a quick parking lot ride.

WillWorkForTrail
    I was at my local shop yesterday, and a box marked Trance 29 2 (L) came in on a truck. When they get it built up, I'll ride it around and see how it feels. I really need an XL, but they won't be stocking one of those.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Trance 29er vs Genius 2019? Anybody got the chance to test ride both? I'm leaning towards the Genius but the price tag will surely be higher at same level specs...

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailRider50 View Post
    Trance 29er vs Genius 2019? Anybody got the chance to test ride both? I'm leaning towards the Genius but the price tag will surely be higher at same level specs...
    I've not ridden the Trance 29 yet, but when I do I'll follow up with you. For what it's worth, I rode a Genius this year at a demo, so it would be a 2018, but having just been redone, I doubt the 2019 will change much other than possibly some spec stuff. The twinlock works as advertised, and the bike pedaled really well up hill. After some of the bikes I'd ridden on the trail where I demoed this, I was super excited about that. Unfortunately, when it came time to point the bike downhill, I was totally put off by it. The bike was vague, and never felt like it tracked intuitively working through chunky stuff at high speeds, and dodging trees. It was a complete turn off.

Now - let me tell you what I've discovered since regarding the Genius. Apparently even the high end Spark and Genius bikes come with sub-par wheels. I've been told by several riders lighter than me that the stock wheels on the 2018 Scott bikes have a tremendous amount of flex in them. That alone would account for the off-putting sensation I had going down hill. So in theory, I would say to you, the Genius is probably a great bike, if you budget to buy a good set of wheels for it when you buy the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Anyone know max change ring size that could fit on the bike? Can't close up pictures would help.

Brs

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I've not ridden the Trance 29 yet, but when I do I'll follow up with you. For what it's worth, I rode a Genius this year at a demo, so it would be a 2018, but having just been redone, I doubt the 2019 will change much other than possibly some spec stuff. The twinlock works as advertised, and the bike pedaled really well up hill. After some of the bikes I'd ridden on the trail where I demoed this, I was super excited about that. Unfortunately, when it came time to point the bike downhill, I was totally put off by it. The bike was vague, and never felt like it tracked intuitively working through chunky stuff at high speeds, and dodging trees. It was a complete turn off.

Now - let me tell you what I've discovered since regarding the Genius. Apparently even the high end Spark and Genius bikes come with sub-par wheels. I've been told by several riders lighter than me that the stock wheels on the 2018 Scott bikes have a tremendous amount of flex in them. That alone would account for the off-putting sensation I had going down hill. So in theory, I would say to you, the Genius is probably a great bike, if you budget to buy a good set of wheels for it when you buy the bike.
    ...and the wheels are pretty bloody heavy too!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Compare the 2's? 2019 Trance 29 2 vs 2019 Trance 27.5 2 Not looking for spec sheet differences just wondering how guys who have ridden both would compare the feel/capability of the two?

With the Trance 2 being considered one of the best values out there and the 29 model only being $200 more in Canada it would be nice to hear some opinions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sore Legs View Post
    Compare the 2's? 2019 Trance 29 2 vs 2019 Trance 27.5 2 Not looking for spec sheet differences just wondering how guys who have ridden both would compare the feel/capability of the two?

With the Trance 2 being considered one of the best values out there and the 29 model only being $200 more in Canada it would be nice to hear some opinions.

https://youtu.be/s_6389ExO1g?t=1

even though this is the "advanced" the geometry is the same

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Don't really understand why are they speccing some of the Trance 29ers with the eagle and a 30 tooth chain ring, should be 32t for all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nicknzl View Post
    Don't really understand why are they speccing some of the Trance 29ers with the eagle and a 30 tooth chain ring, should be 32t for all.
    Well, maybe not for all. 12-15% grade at 2900 meters elevation is the top of climbs in my neighborhood. You can do it on 32, but 30 tooth is much less painful.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Yeah I guess it all depends where you ride. I've got X01 11 speed at the moment and I rarely use the 42t... I'd never use the 50t with a 30t chain ring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nicknzl View Post
    Yeah I guess it all depends where you ride. I've got X01 11 speed at the moment and I rarely use the 42t... I'd never use the 50t with a 30t chain ring.
    I always use a 50t with a 30t chainring. I ride once a week on average and where I ride you climb about half your ride. I also have patella tendinitis in one knee, so everyone is different and several bike manufacturers spec Eagle with a 30t chainring. Yeti and Pivot to name two off my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    I always use a 50t with a 30t chainring. I ride once a week on average and where I ride you climb about half your ride. I also have patella tendinitis in one knee, so everyone is different and several bike manufacturers spec Eagle with a 30t chainring. Yeti and Pivot to name two off my head.
    Have you tried an oval chainring? I've found it easier on my 66 year old knees!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I demoed the Trance 29er 2 on the weekend and was pleasantly surprised

LBS will do it for $3200.00 AUS

Great price and great bike for weekend warriors or someone who can't get out and ride very often

WillWorkForTrail
    I stopped by my LBS yesterday and did a parking lot ride on their shiny new AL Trance 2. Predictably, since it was a Large, it felt a bit small. The geometry made using the dropper an absolute necessity to really get the front wheel up and keep it there - a product of the steep seat angle, I'm guessing. On the whole the bike didn't feel bad, and they have an alley that's almost as good as a short fire road descent behind the shop, and the bike was well behaved going up and down that. It was good enough I'd look for a demo ride so I could try it on trails, but it didn't strike me as a bike I fell in love with riding around the parking lot, which has happened to me before.

mtbr member
    Well it's better that the bike performs well on the trails and not parking lot

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus;[URL="tel:13817678"
    13817678[/URL]]I stopped by my LBS yesterday and did a parking lot ride on their shiny new AL Trance 2. Predictably, since it was a Large, it felt a bit small. The geometry made using the dropper an absolute necessity to really get the front wheel up and keep it there - a product of the steep seat angle, I'm guessing. On the whole the bike didn't feel bad, and they have an alley that's almost as good as a short fire road descent behind the shop, and the bike was well behaved going up and down that. It was good enough I'd look for a demo ride so I could try it on trails, but it didn't strike me as a bike I fell in love with riding around the parking lot, which has happened to me before.
    How tall are you Cotharius? I'm 6'0 with 34" inseam, currently riding a perfectly fitted Anthem 29er in L but from the geometry specs of the new Trance 29er, I'm wondering if I'd better order an XL. Local LBS won't have an XL on floor anytime soon, and won't let anybody ride the only L he has in store, but just siting on it left me with a too small feeling....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    *Disclaimer-No enhancements were injured in this pic!
    I recognize that shop!

The new trance 29 looks very good. If I were in the market for a new trail bike I'd give it a hard look for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailRider50 View Post
    How tall are you Cotharius? I'm 6'0 with 34" inseam, currently riding a perfectly fitted Anthem 29er in L but from the geometry specs of the new Trance 29er, I'm wondering if I'd better order an XL. Local LBS won't have an XL on floor anytime soon, and won't let anybody ride the only L he has in store, but just siting on it left me with a too small feeling....
    I'm 6'3"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hi All,
    Has anyone out there ridden an XL Trance yet? I'm in the market to replace my stolen bike and am considering a new Trance 29 but would like to test ride or at least hear from a few people before ordering anything. Are they showing up in shops anywhere yet?

My previous bike was a Tantrum Meltdown (bought from kickstarter) which, while it did have its downsides, I really liked. Unfortunately they are difficult to come by. Usually I've built my bikes from a frame but now I'm also also considering buying a full bike so I can ride until winter. Also, my son works in a shop that sells Giant and I'd like to give them my business.

If it matters I'm 6' 2" and ride mainly in MN and WI and am also considering a Pole Evolink 131.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by finnlander View Post
    Hi All,
    Has anyone out there ridden an XL Trance yet? I'm in the market to replace my stolen bike and am considering a new Trance 29 but would like to test ride or at least hear from a few people before ordering anything. Are they showing up in shops anywhere yet?

My previous bike was a Tantrum Meltdown (bought from kickstarter) which, while it did have its downsides, I really liked. Unfortunately they are difficult to come by. Usually I've built my bikes from a frame but now I'm also also considering buying a full bike so I can ride until winter. Also, my son works in a shop that sells Giant and I'd like to give them my business.

If it matters I'm 6' 2" and ride mainly in MN and WI and am also considering a Pole Evolink 131.
    XL's are hard to come by, sometimes even at demos. But you've got me curious about the Tantrum - what did you perceive as downsides to that?

For what it's worth, I'm thinking about a long travel Tantrum, and then if that's too much for some stuff, getting a Trance 29 as a shorter option for those trails.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    There is a big demo coming up this Saturday with a bunch of brands. Thats the best chance of demoing one around here until next spring. There's a chance of a trip to Outerbike in October too as Bentonvile is "only" 9 hours straight south.

My Tantrum was a fun bike and it climbed great but it's heavy. Mine was a moderately high end build and was well over 30 lbs. Maybe version 2 will shed some weight. I'd still love to get mine back and am hoping that someday soon it is found.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    XL's are hard to come by, sometimes even at demos. But you've got me curious about the Tantrum - what did you perceive as downsides to that?

For what it's worth, I'm thinking about a long travel Tantrum, and then if that's too much for some stuff, getting a Trance 29 as a shorter option for those trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Just want to chime in here as I now have 4 demo rides on the new 2019 Trance Advanced Pro 29er. I have spent a lot of time on the Ripley LS, Revolver with 120 fork, Tallboy, Blur, Hightower, and SB 4.5. I have ridden the new Trance 29 mostly on Northern Utah singletrack such as Park City and a couple downhill flow trails. The bike really amazed me with its versatility. It climbs well, pedals well, reacts to hard accelerations well, and boy does it descend! In my opinion, it is more stable than the SB 4.5 and Hightower especially in rocky terrain as the revised Maestro suspension is so active. The new Trance also has better geometry numbers as well giving the bike a more stable feel. I honestly think its the most versatile bike out there right now in this class. I ordered the Advanced Pro "0" build with DVO. Cant wait till it arrives!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for the write-up Play Time, how do you find it handles tight twisty stuff and low-speed technical terrain? I very interested in this bike as I feel it the travel numbers are perfect for my not so aggressive local terrain, while still having the chops to deal with more aggressive destinations I might travel too. However, the slack head angle makes me think it might feel sluggish on more plodding trails, or trails with tons of twists and turns, the sort of trail where an XC bike would be considered ideal. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Rattles - The Revolver that I just sold had a 1124 WB and ~ 70 deg HT angle and the new Trance Advanced 29 (medium) has a 1176 WB and 66.5 deg HT angle... so I had the same concerns! It took me a few tight switchbacks to adjust my riding and I dropped the bars ~ 5-10 mm (they were mounted way too high) then the bike felt very natural, well balanced, and agile but so forgiving. I have gone through a lot of slow speed rock gardens, tight trees, and switchbacks with no issues at all. The new Maestro is so active through rocky sections and handles braking bumps better than most. I would recommend demoing this bike if you can. Giant has quite a few Advanced Pro 1 29ers on their truck and also call the Giant dealers to see what demos they have. Its a great "do everything" bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    What's the BB Height?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzman View Post
    What's the BB Height?
    That's the million dollar question for me. I had my shop call Giant. Who ever they spoke to pulled a bike from the rack and measured it while on the phone.

I was told it measured at 33.8cm (13.3") I personally find this hard to believe for a few of reasons.
    1.There aren't many bikes with BB heights this high (for the travel).
    2. Giant (in my experience) has traditionally had lower BB compared to the competition.
    *3. If you use their Geo numbers. The bb drop is 1.4". So if you do the math. (29.1/2)-1.4 = 13.15"

* I used a tire diameter of 29 2.3 maxxis minion (speced on the front of the trance) from an mtbr article. Here.

I'm not saying I'm right but that's the best I have to go on at this point.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    BBD based off a size medium:

New Trance Advanced Pro 29 - 35mm
    Hightower - 33mm
    Ripley LS - 33mm
    Norco Revolver - 33mm

mtbr member
    Hi.

I'm tall 6,3" so I need an XL frame.
    I live in Italy and Giant Italy has said that they don't gone have any XL Trance for testing. Too bad.
    That's not the first time that someone says that the new Trance XL size seems too short.
    I'm really confused about the bike sizing, I've tried an XL Evil MB The Following that have a 470mm reach (Trance 480mm) and the feeling was really good going up and down.

Did someone tried both bikes, MB The Following and Trance 29?
    Any advice? Thanks.
    ------------------------------------
    MTB Connection - Ride together
    https://www.mtbconnection.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Just got the advanced pro 1 in XL

Comes in at 13.25kg with DMR V12 pedals. So around 12.9kg sans pedals.

2019 Trance 29-img_20180923_100120-edited.jpg2019 Trance 29-img_20180923_102047-edited.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    GaelP - I have 2 demos on The Following MB XO build and 4 demos on the new Trance Advanced 29er. To be honest, I did not like the Following MB at all. In my opinion, it did not pedal that well and lacks the acceleration snap that I want, it handled technical climbs well but not hardpack and fire roads... the bike felt slow, boring, and dead. The bike did descend ok but it lacked the stability that the new Trance 29er has. The Following MB felt overwhelmed in rocky terrain as the suspension is not as active as the new Trace. The longer wheelbase of the Trance helps here too. The new Trance 29 pedals, climbs, and descends better. If weight is a consideration, the Following MB is a pretty heavy bike! Its the heaviest bike by far that I demoed so far. Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    lchenco - Sweet! I demoed this model a few times. I ordered the "0" build with DVO a few weeks ago... I am number 6 on the list and was told it may ship next week or first week of October. Now go get that thing dusty/muddy :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by lchenco View Post
    Just got the advanced pro 1 in XL

Comes in at 13.25kg with DMR V12 pedals. So around 12.9kg sans pedals.

Name:	IMG_20180923_100120 - Edited.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	1217505Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180923_102047 - Edited.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	1217508
    Ordered the same bike, can you please confirm max front chain Ring size. Might want to throw it on a trainer this winter.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have had mine for about a week and a half. I changed out a few parts to get it to 26lbs 2 oz in size XL. The weight is without flat kit and hadn't installed the bottle cage yet. Otherwise, everything else was ready to ride including pedals and garmin mount.

Changed
    Wheels - I9 trail 270 with conti X-king 2.3 tires
    Drive train - XO1 with Raceface Next SL crank and wolftooth oval 32t ring
    bar/stem - Crank bros colbalt 11 bar, syntace F109 60mm stem
    Saddle - fabric line 134mm
    Dropper lever - Wolftooth 1x remote
    2019 Trance 29-img_2423.jpg2019 Trance 29-img_2425.jpg

Keep on Rockin...
    Availability on frame only?

And, though I don't weight my bikes, I am interested in how much certain parts weight - and in this case, wonder how much the frame alone (or with shock) weighs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim83 View Post
    I have had mine for about a week and a half. I changed out a few parts to get it to 26lbs 2 oz in size XL. The weight is without flat kit and hadn't installed the bottle cage yet. Otherwise, everything else was ready to ride including pedals and garmin mount.

Changed
    Wheels - I9 trail 270 with conti X-king 2.3 tires
    Drive train - XO1 with Raceface Next SL crank and wolftooth oval 32t ring
    bar/stem - Crank bros colbalt 11 bar, syntace F109 60mm stem
    Saddle - fabric line 134mm
    Dropper lever - Wolftooth 1x remote

Name:	IMG_2423.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	1217548Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2425.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	1217547
    Impressive. Also because compared to the original wheel set the weight is quite the same as the new one, 1650 gr. Is it right?

mtbr member
    Ordered the same bike, can you please confirm max front chain Ring size. Might want to throw it on a trainer this winter.

Cheers
    Amazing bike. Looks great in XL. If I'll take it probably I'll change the brakes (I've got a bad feeling with the sSam brakes), and probably the rear hub. I think there are only 18 points engagement. Do you confirm it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    MTB yumyum has a review up.

https://youtu.be/JktBp5GQ42M

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    MTB yumyum has a review up.

https://youtu.be/JktBp5GQ42M
    Last few videos I've seen of this guy, seems to say very similar things about each bike. Needs more compare/contrast between bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GaelP View Post
    Impressive. Also because compared to the original wheel set the weight is quite the same as the new one, 1650 gr. Is it right?
    Giant claims 1769g for the stock wheelset and I will have to see if I still have pics of my wheels on a scale but I believe they were around 1600g with tape and valves.

You can upgrade the freehub body and internals on the Giant wheel to the star ratchet system and alloy freehub to shave weight and get better engagement.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Availability on frame only?

And, though I don't weight my bikes, I am interested in how much certain parts weight - and in this case, wonder how much the frame alone (or with shock) weighs.
    Frames were available last week in all sizes except large but it appears they are sold out already. It is a really cool color that is not available as a complete bike.

Not sure on frame weight, because of internal brake/cable routing I didn't care to strip it all the way down and weigh it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Hey I'm looking to get an XL and I was just wondering how tall you are? I'm 6'3" with an inseam of 36" and I'm trying to figure out if this bike will have enough reach for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Hey I'm looking to get an XL and I was just wondering how tall you are? I'm 6'3" with an inseam of 36" and I'm trying to figure out if this bike will have enough reach for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Cheers
    Not entirely sure, could maybe fit a 34? see the pic below
    2019 Trance 29-img_20180925_170219.jpg

Also fit some xt stoppers
    2019 Trance 29-img_20180925_212259.jpg

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    Last few videos I've seen of this guy, seems to say very similar things about each bike. Needs more compare/contrast between bikes.
    Maybe because geo and suspension on all the different bikes are getting pretty dialed? I follow his test reviews and hes not always giving 5 Star catch phrase reviews!😎👍

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast