2019 Trance 29- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Trance 29

mtbr member

2019+ Trance 29

Since this is such a new bike for Giant, maybe it's time to separate it out as a new thread.

Regarding weight:
    vitalmtb has a "claimed weight" of 26 or 27 pounds, without pedals.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/gui...ws/3273/expand
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 09-25-2019 at 05:57 AM.

NedwannaB
    Invalid link

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Invalid link
    Weird. New link posted.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The link is still broken. Anyone know when these will be in the shops? I need to replace my stolen Tantrum and the Trance is looking like a possibility.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Link works for me, a did yesterday as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Link works for me too.

I can't afford the top end one and I'm not worthy anyway. My shop says carbon models are maybe 5 weeks out for me. Hopefully it happens sooner. However, My shop built a medium Alloy model yesterday, and I gave it it's maiden voyage today.

I really liked it. I'm just an average rider, and this was only my 5th dirt ride since having ACL surgery right before last Thanksgiving. I also do not have a lot of good FS rides on other bikes to compare much. If this Alloy model had been speced with wider rims, I probably would have bought it as is. Instead, I'll be waiting for the Trance Adv Pro 29 2 model.

Brakes hadn't been bedded in, but I didn't have any trouble with them. Everything seemed to work well, and the shifting of the NX Eagle was really good. (yeah the cassette is big and heavy) Shock and fork felt fine, but I would need to be a lot more careful when I'm got my own bike to the settings to get them better for me.

I thought it climbed well and descended well. I felt the it steered well too. I can compare this to a Transition Smuggler that I did a short demo on (before my knee was really ready). I felt that both bikes were good climbers actually. The steeper STA on both felt good to me. Both bike probably weighed similar even though the Smuggler was carbon. However, I found that there was something (to me) that felt odd or off with the steering while JRA flats and a bit on the DHs. So even though the alloy Giant may have a similar shorter offset to the one on the Smuggler, the Trance 29 never felt weird, and it actually felt quite natural to me. Basically my next bike is going to be a Trance 29. I like it more than any of the other bikes I have ridden (small list = grain of salt). But it felt way more natural than the Smuggler, and more familiar than the Anthem SX which I bought before surgery and then oddly decided to sell. (nothing really wrong with it) But I like 29er, and have been on this wheelsize for something like 10 years.

NedwannaB
    Re-sub’d! 👍😎

NedwannaB
    Anthem SX as in 27.5? I’ve been eyeing one of last years models sitting in lbs rack until seeing the Trace 29 in mech stand that they were putting together. 😜

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes, Anthem SX 27.5. Main complaint was 23mm internal rims, and it wasn't a 29er. Other than that, it was a fine bike.

Today I was supposed to ride the Transition Scout, but it didn't show so I was forced to ride the Trace 29 again. LOL Felt great again today. With less travel than other bikes I think it could get overwhelmed easier, but for me I think it's going to be great. For $3K I think this is a bike that would make a lot of people happy (if they don't care about riding boutique brands).

NedwannaB
    Where you demo’g those bikes if I may ask?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My LBS in Dublin CA.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    My LBS in Dublin CA.
    Interesting. My Giant lbs up here in Novato has Transition as-well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My shop doesn't have a lot of demos of anything. The Scout I was going to ride is the owners. I was going to get a RM Instinct, but now I'm definitely getting the Trace 29. (not that is tons better, but I think it will make me happy)

I really should have taken a picture of the blue alloy frame. It looks great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ive always wanted a blue bike

mtbr member
    I was really excited about this bike when I heard it was coming out. I want a short travel 29er. I ride a 2016 Trance now. Giant has always offered such great value, as in you get more bike for your money. The geometry sounds perfect for me too. Seems like Giant nailed it.

But, I have to say that I am disappointed in the build kits. I would have liked to see a better outfitted aluminum version in the US. If you want something that shifts better than SRAM NX, and has wheels that are wider than 25mm then you have to buy the $5k advanced model. For $5k, you might as well buy a Trail 429 or a Tallboy. Or save some money and get a Fuel EX8. The Fuel has a 54T hub, 30mm internal rims, and GX eagle for basically the same money as the aluminum trance 29. Did Giant not do a market analysis? Boutique pricing from a mainstream company, epic fail in my opinion.

Does anybody know anything about the wheels the aluminum version is speced with? It only took me a year of riding to blow up the wheels that came on my current trance.
    '16 Giant Trance

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ActivNva View Post
    Or save some money and get a Fuel EX8. The Fuel has a 54T hub, 30mm internal rims, and GX eagle for basically the same money as the aluminum trance 29.
    Meh...the Fuel EX8 is a pretty boring bike. Both the Fuel and Trance have house-brand wheels, those Bontrager Line Comp 30's are not an upgrade over the Giant wheels...they're both heavy aluminum wheels. Sure the 30mm width might be nice. Really, the only upgrade is the GX Eagle vs NX Eagle and for the $250 price difference you can swap that yourself. Boutique pricing? Seems pretty in line with the market to me. The 2019 Stumpjumper is $3k with essentially an SLX build. Again, seems right in line with the Alu Trance.

mtbr member
    The line comp 30s come with a 54T hub. The giant branded wheels that came on my current trance came had an 18T hub. I am running DT swiss wheels now with the 54T upgrade.

And that is a good point about swapping out the NX parts immediately. It's not that big of a deal, but I still wish the sold a better speced aluminum model. The 27.5 trance 2 is speced with slx (which I would prefer) and the Giant AM wheels for less money. I've had a set of the AM wheels and the hub is not as bad as the performance tracker. That hub grenaded on me in a little over 1,000 miles. It free spins in both directions...

And honestly even though i am more interested in the new trance, the fuel is a solid bike. I rented one for a weekend in New Mexico and liked it. It climbs really well and goes down almost as well as my 27.5 trance. My LBS is trek and giant. All my friends ride fuels and love them. It's nice that you can run plus wheels on it if you want too. I've got a friend who swaps wheelsets depending on where we are going.
    '16 Giant Trance

NedwannaB

Did somebody say blue?

My shop doesn't have a lot of demos of anything. The Scout I was going to ride is the owners. I was going to get a RM Instinct, but now I'm definitely getting the Trace 29. (not that is tons better, but I think it will make me happy)

I really should have taken a picture of the blue alloy frame. It looks great.
    *Disclaimer-No enhancements were injured in this pic!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Trance 29-fd53bb0d-8b95-4cf7-a52d-feae74bd43dc.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Nice Blue

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    yikes thats much darker then i thought. black will do then i guess

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by fishywishy View Post
    yikes thats much darker then i thought. black will do then i guess
    Pretty bright actually. Similar to the Niner RIP9 if that makes sense. I think the black one has some green in it. Unless you’re talking carbon.

mtbr member
    I got a couple rides on the Adv 1 model. I’m 5 11 and the lrg was a perfect fit. I was a little skeptical when first saw the specs but all that faded away once I got on the bike. The minion tires, 50mm stem and 780 bars were a great fit for the bikes intention. I hit fast flowing to high speed baby heads and you do not feel you are on a 115 bike. It would leave the ground at a moments notice and loved to jib and play all over the trail. The dpx piggyback shock worked perfectly in the back and helped provide great support. Went in with a little negativity about the guide t brakes especially coming off Code RSC brakes but they worked great and I had no issues and basically forgot about them. The bike has a very neutral feel to it and I felt right at home within the first 100 yards of trail. I’m glad they steepened the seat angle over previous bikes definitely helped put you in a better climbing position. Now I am basing this info of a couple rides so just initial impressions, but from what I rode this bike was a blast to ride and I had a constant smile! If you are looking for a fun trail bike it is def worth taking one out for a demo👍🏻

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikers Only View Post
    I got a couple rides on the Adv 1 model. I’m 5 11 and the lrg was a perfect fit. I was a little skeptical when first saw the specs but all that faded away once I got on the bike. The minion tires, 50mm stem and 780 bars were a great fit for the bikes intention. I hit fast flowing to high speed baby heads and you do not feel you are on a 115 bike. It would leave the ground at a moments notice and loved to jib and play all over the trail. The dpx piggyback shock worked perfectly in the back and helped provide great support. Went in with a little negativity about the guide t brakes especially coming off Code RSC brakes but they worked great and I had no issues and basically forgot about them. The bike has a very neutral feel to it and I felt right at home within the first 100 yards of trail. I’m glad they steepened the seat angle over previous bikes definitely helped put you in a better climbing position. Now I am basing this info of a couple rides so just initial impressions, but from what I rode this bike was a blast to ride and I had a constant smile! If you are looking for a fun trail bike it is def worth taking one out for a demo👍🏻
    How do you think the bike handled in chunky stuff? Also does the green paint look like the 2018 reign advanced 1?.

Cheers

mtbr member
    That blue above looks super off, here is a pic I took from a shop in town.

2019 Trance 29-20180811_145722-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Anyone try fitting a 275+ ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BradOlsen84 View Post
    How do you think the bike handled in chunky stuff? Also does the green paint look like the 2018 reign advanced 1?.

Cheers
    Never saw the reign but it looks like the trance its probably darker. It felt pretty stable in some light chunk I think due to the shorter offset. Hopefully will get one out in to some good gnar soon.

mtbr member
    With a Minion 2.8

2019 Trance 29-img_0668.jpg2019 Trance 29-img_0667.jpg2019 Trance 29-img_0670.jpg

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Naolin View Post
    That blue above looks super off, here is a pic I took from a shop in town.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180811_145722 (1).jpg 
Views:	2656 
Size:	174.4 KB 
ID:	1212323
    Looks pretty similar. Probly different lighting/angle? But whatever dude...

NedwannaB
    Is that a 27.5+ Minion?
    Last edited by JMac47; 08-16-2018 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thx for the blue pic. the color def looked off before.

any idea of the bb height with 29er wheels?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thank you!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    or with the 2.8

thx for the blue pic. the color def looked off before.

any idea of the bb height with 29er wheels?

banned
    Jul 2015
    No BB height listed? Does anyone know the frame only weight?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    they only list the bb drop. i guess you could compare it to other brands but it would be nice if they just stated it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I think BB drop is the better way to compare it across brands. You never know how brands measure bottom bracket height...is it sagged at 20%, 30%, not sagged? It'd be nice if there was a standard for that, but for now I think BB drop is about as good as you're gonna get.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    hmm. I just did a roll out to measure my 2.8 rocket ron. Would give a bb height of 12.53. this seem a bit too low.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Wish the carbon 1 and 2 models had alloy rear ends with either a lower cost or better spec. The Adv Pro 2 in the matte silver has my eye. So many good bikes in this category though.

banned
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 2m2hs View Post
    I think BB drop is the better way to compare it across brands. You never know how brands measure bottom bracket height...is it sagged at 20%, 30%, not sagged? It'd be nice if there was a standard for that, but for now I think BB drop is about as good as you're gonna get.
    Just a basic estimate would be nice. If it was too difficult the majority of bike companies wouldn't list it. One would think that bike companies measure the BB height from their suggested sag point.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Just ordered a TRANCE ADVANCED PRO 29ER 1...

Will update when it comes in my LBS.

mtbr member
    The jump from the advanced 2 to the advanced 1 is $700, and the only difference is GX over NX. Retail for GX eagle is a little over $400 (chain, shifter, derailleur, cassette) from SRAM's website. Am I missing something?
    '16 Giant Trance

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Am I missing something?
    Differences in the forks and shocks. I have no idea how much $ that would account for.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The jump from the advanced 2 to the advanced 1 is $700, and the only difference is GX over NX. Retail for GX eagle is a little over $400 (chain, shifter, derailleur, cassette) from SRAM's website. Am I missing something?
    The Advanced 1 has the DPX2 shock vs. the DPS on the 2. You'd also have to get the XD driver to upgrade to the GX cassette. Relatively minor overall, but probably worth the $700.00 difference if those things matter to you. If you don't ride 20+ minute descents then the DPS is probably fine. Having the XD driver will allow you to run any of the light(er) Eagle cassettes if you want (GX, XO or XX1) which is nice if you care about weight at all...by all accounts the NX Eagle cassette is a boat anchor.

mtbr member
    Ok, that makes a lot more sense. I totally missed the suspension changes. I still wish they had an aluminum option with the same build kit as the advanced 1.
    '16 Giant Trance

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ok, that makes a lot more sense. I totally missed the suspension changes. I still wish they had an aluminum option with the same build kit as the advanced 1.
    They do every where but North America.. no idea why.

mtbr member
    I'm looking pretty hard at the Pro 29 0 for next spring....

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    What country are you based in mate? Here in Canada we only get the Pro 29 1 D:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by K_GIANT_98 View Post
    What country are you based in mate? Here in Canada we only get the Pro 29 1 D:
    Estados Unidos
    I don't think these or the Pro 1 will be available here for a while, but they should be widely available by the time I'm serious. Probably next April or so. Very interested in the DVO Fork/shock setup and I'm running out of time to spend all of the children's inheritance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Anyone seen / got photos of one in XL? Some Giants look a touch ungainly in barn gate size so was hoping they'd broken the curse

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i tested a trance 2 29 in xl today. the blue looks very nice. but holy crap its 32 lbs...parking lot and curb test felt good, didnt really notice the weight. the xl reach felt a smidge short. a rough bb measurement came to 13 7/8". i think it could fit max a 2.5 maxxis in the back.

mtbr member
    You also get slightly higher quality parts in the performance grip fork (same crown and stanchions as factory but with out kashima) on the Adv 1. Having ridden both you could def feel the difference in the suspension. The dpx2 felt more composed and felt like you had more travel. You save weight with the other parts and the shifting def has a crisper feel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You also get slightly higher quality parts in the performance grip fork (same crown and stanchions as factory but with out kashima) on the Adv 1. Having ridden both you could def feel the difference in the suspension. The dpx2 felt more composed and felt like you had more travel. You save weight with the other parts and the shifting def has a crisper feel.
    Yesterday I´ve also had a look at the specs and found out that the Advanced 1 has only a aluminum riser... that´s in my opinion a little bit of a shame for a bike in this price class...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    They do every where but North America.. no idea why.
    If it's like last year then it's not even North America as Canada got the aluminum 1 models with the good parts.
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/trance-1-ge
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/anthem-1

The paint job on that Anthem 1 is awesome. Inspired by Val Kilmer's helmet in Top Gun, no doubt.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My LBS in Dublin CA.
    Must be my go to shop as well...Dublin Cyclery?? Robert and his guys are [email protected] AWESOME !

NedwannaB
    i tested a trance 2 29 in xl today. the blue looks very nice. but holy crap its 32 lbs...
    Same relative weight as an alloy EX7-8. And other brands in their similar model lines.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    i tested a trance 2 29 in xl today. the blue looks very nice. but holy crap its 32 lbs...parking lot and curb test felt good, didnt really notice the weight. the xl reach felt a smidge short. a rough bb measurement came to 13 7/8". i think it could fit max a 2.5 maxxis in the back.
    How tall are you?

banned
    Jul 2015
    I test rode a Large Trance 2 yesterday and even with a reach 18mm longer than my previous bike, the seated reach is shorter due to the steeper seat tube. The shop added 10psi above my body weight in the Float DPS and the rear wallowed like nothing I'm used to. I didn't check the sag numbers and I'm not used to that much of rear movement coming from a Yeti, But I could also be way to low on PSI. Just a quick parking lot ride.

WillWorkForTrail
    I was at my local shop yesterday, and a box marked Trance 29 2 (L) came in on a truck. When they get it built up, I'll ride it around and see how it feels. I really need an XL, but they won't be stocking one of those.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Trance 29er vs Genius 2019? Anybody got the chance to test ride both? I'm leaning towards the Genius but the price tag will surely be higher at same level specs...

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailRider50 View Post
    Trance 29er vs Genius 2019? Anybody got the chance to test ride both? I'm leaning towards the Genius but the price tag will surely be higher at same level specs...
    I've not ridden the Trance 29 yet, but when I do I'll follow up with you. For what it's worth, I rode a Genius this year at a demo, so it would be a 2018, but having just been redone, I doubt the 2019 will change much other than possibly some spec stuff. The twinlock works as advertised, and the bike pedaled really well up hill. After some of the bikes I'd ridden on the trail where I demoed this, I was super excited about that. Unfortunately, when it came time to point the bike downhill, I was totally put off by it. The bike was vague, and never felt like it tracked intuitively working through chunky stuff at high speeds, and dodging trees. It was a complete turn off.

Now - let me tell you what I've discovered since regarding the Genius. Apparently even the high end Spark and Genius bikes come with sub-par wheels. I've been told by several riders lighter than me that the stock wheels on the 2018 Scott bikes have a tremendous amount of flex in them. That alone would account for the off-putting sensation I had going down hill. So in theory, I would say to you, the Genius is probably a great bike, if you budget to buy a good set of wheels for it when you buy the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Anyone know max change ring size that could fit on the bike? Can't close up pictures would help.

Brs

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I've not ridden the Trance 29 yet, but when I do I'll follow up with you. For what it's worth, I rode a Genius this year at a demo, so it would be a 2018, but having just been redone, I doubt the 2019 will change much other than possibly some spec stuff. The twinlock works as advertised, and the bike pedaled really well up hill. After some of the bikes I'd ridden on the trail where I demoed this, I was super excited about that. Unfortunately, when it came time to point the bike downhill, I was totally put off by it. The bike was vague, and never felt like it tracked intuitively working through chunky stuff at high speeds, and dodging trees. It was a complete turn off.

Now - let me tell you what I've discovered since regarding the Genius. Apparently even the high end Spark and Genius bikes come with sub-par wheels. I've been told by several riders lighter than me that the stock wheels on the 2018 Scott bikes have a tremendous amount of flex in them. That alone would account for the off-putting sensation I had going down hill. So in theory, I would say to you, the Genius is probably a great bike, if you budget to buy a good set of wheels for it when you buy the bike.
    ...and the wheels are pretty bloody heavy too!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Compare the 2's? 2019 Trance 29 2 vs 2019 Trance 27.5 2 Not looking for spec sheet differences just wondering how guys who have ridden both would compare the feel/capability of the two?

With the Trance 2 being considered one of the best values out there and the 29 model only being $200 more in Canada it would be nice to hear some opinions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sore Legs View Post
    Compare the 2's? 2019 Trance 29 2 vs 2019 Trance 27.5 2 Not looking for spec sheet differences just wondering how guys who have ridden both would compare the feel/capability of the two?

With the Trance 2 being considered one of the best values out there and the 29 model only being $200 more in Canada it would be nice to hear some opinions.

https://youtu.be/s_6389ExO1g?t=1

even though this is the "advanced" the geometry is the same

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Don't really understand why are they speccing some of the Trance 29ers with the eagle and a 30 tooth chain ring, should be 32t for all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nicknzl View Post
    Don't really understand why are they speccing some of the Trance 29ers with the eagle and a 30 tooth chain ring, should be 32t for all.
    Well, maybe not for all. 12-15% grade at 2900 meters elevation is the top of climbs in my neighborhood. You can do it on 32, but 30 tooth is much less painful.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Yeah I guess it all depends where you ride. I've got X01 11 speed at the moment and I rarely use the 42t... I'd never use the 50t with a 30t chain ring.

banned
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by nicknzl View Post
    Yeah I guess it all depends where you ride. I've got X01 11 speed at the moment and I rarely use the 42t... I'd never use the 50t with a 30t chain ring.
    I always use a 50t with a 30t chainring. I ride once a week on average and where I ride you climb about half your ride. I also have patella tendinitis in one knee, so everyone is different and several bike manufacturers spec Eagle with a 30t chainring. Yeti and Pivot to name two off my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    I always use a 50t with a 30t chainring. I ride once a week on average and where I ride you climb about half your ride. I also have patella tendinitis in one knee, so everyone is different and several bike manufacturers spec Eagle with a 30t chainring. Yeti and Pivot to name two off my head.
    Have you tried an oval chainring? I've found it easier on my 66 year old knees!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I demoed the Trance 29er 2 on the weekend and was pleasantly surprised

LBS will do it for $3200.00 AUS

Great price and great bike for weekend warriors or someone who can't get out and ride very often

WillWorkForTrail
    I stopped by my LBS yesterday and did a parking lot ride on their shiny new AL Trance 2. Predictably, since it was a Large, it felt a bit small. The geometry made using the dropper an absolute necessity to really get the front wheel up and keep it there - a product of the steep seat angle, I'm guessing. On the whole the bike didn't feel bad, and they have an alley that's almost as good as a short fire road descent behind the shop, and the bike was well behaved going up and down that. It was good enough I'd look for a demo ride so I could try it on trails, but it didn't strike me as a bike I fell in love with riding around the parking lot, which has happened to me before.

mtbr member
    Well it's better that the bike performs well on the trails and not parking lot

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus;[URL="tel:13817678"
    13817678[/URL]]I stopped by my LBS yesterday and did a parking lot ride on their shiny new AL Trance 2. Predictably, since it was a Large, it felt a bit small. The geometry made using the dropper an absolute necessity to really get the front wheel up and keep it there - a product of the steep seat angle, I'm guessing. On the whole the bike didn't feel bad, and they have an alley that's almost as good as a short fire road descent behind the shop, and the bike was well behaved going up and down that. It was good enough I'd look for a demo ride so I could try it on trails, but it didn't strike me as a bike I fell in love with riding around the parking lot, which has happened to me before.
    How tall are you Cotharius? I'm 6'0 with 34" inseam, currently riding a perfectly fitted Anthem 29er in L but from the geometry specs of the new Trance 29er, I'm wondering if I'd better order an XL. Local LBS won't have an XL on floor anytime soon, and won't let anybody ride the only L he has in store, but just siting on it left me with a too small feeling....

mtbr member
    *Disclaimer-No enhancements were injured in this pic!
    I recognize that shop!

The new trance 29 looks very good. If I were in the market for a new trail bike I'd give it a hard look for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailRider50 View Post
    How tall are you Cotharius? I'm 6'0 with 34" inseam, currently riding a perfectly fitted Anthem 29er in L but from the geometry specs of the new Trance 29er, I'm wondering if I'd better order an XL. Local LBS won't have an XL on floor anytime soon, and won't let anybody ride the only L he has in store, but just siting on it left me with a too small feeling....
    I'm 6'3"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hi All,
    Has anyone out there ridden an XL Trance yet? I'm in the market to replace my stolen bike and am considering a new Trance 29 but would like to test ride or at least hear from a few people before ordering anything. Are they showing up in shops anywhere yet?

My previous bike was a Tantrum Meltdown (bought from kickstarter) which, while it did have its downsides, I really liked. Unfortunately they are difficult to come by. Usually I've built my bikes from a frame but now I'm also also considering buying a full bike so I can ride until winter. Also, my son works in a shop that sells Giant and I'd like to give them my business.

If it matters I'm 6' 2" and ride mainly in MN and WI and am also considering a Pole Evolink 131.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by finnlander View Post
    Hi All,
    Has anyone out there ridden an XL Trance yet? I'm in the market to replace my stolen bike and am considering a new Trance 29 but would like to test ride or at least hear from a few people before ordering anything. Are they showing up in shops anywhere yet?

My previous bike was a Tantrum Meltdown (bought from kickstarter) which, while it did have its downsides, I really liked. Unfortunately they are difficult to come by. Usually I've built my bikes from a frame but now I'm also also considering buying a full bike so I can ride until winter. Also, my son works in a shop that sells Giant and I'd like to give them my business.

If it matters I'm 6' 2" and ride mainly in MN and WI and am also considering a Pole Evolink 131.
    XL's are hard to come by, sometimes even at demos. But you've got me curious about the Tantrum - what did you perceive as downsides to that?

For what it's worth, I'm thinking about a long travel Tantrum, and then if that's too much for some stuff, getting a Trance 29 as a shorter option for those trails.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    There is a big demo coming up this Saturday with a bunch of brands. Thats the best chance of demoing one around here until next spring. There's a chance of a trip to Outerbike in October too as Bentonvile is "only" 9 hours straight south.

My Tantrum was a fun bike and it climbed great but it's heavy. Mine was a moderately high end build and was well over 30 lbs. Maybe version 2 will shed some weight. I'd still love to get mine back and am hoping that someday soon it is found.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    XL's are hard to come by, sometimes even at demos. But you've got me curious about the Tantrum - what did you perceive as downsides to that?

For what it's worth, I'm thinking about a long travel Tantrum, and then if that's too much for some stuff, getting a Trance 29 as a shorter option for those trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Just want to chime in here as I now have 4 demo rides on the new 2019 Trance Advanced Pro 29er. I have spent a lot of time on the Ripley LS, Revolver with 120 fork, Tallboy, Blur, Hightower, and SB 4.5. I have ridden the new Trance 29 mostly on Northern Utah singletrack such as Park City and a couple downhill flow trails. The bike really amazed me with its versatility. It climbs well, pedals well, reacts to hard accelerations well, and boy does it descend! In my opinion, it is more stable than the SB 4.5 and Hightower especially in rocky terrain as the revised Maestro suspension is so active. The new Trance also has better geometry numbers as well giving the bike a more stable feel. I honestly think its the most versatile bike out there right now in this class. I ordered the Advanced Pro "0" build with DVO. Cant wait till it arrives!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for the write-up Play Time, how do you find it handles tight twisty stuff and low-speed technical terrain? I very interested in this bike as I feel it the travel numbers are perfect for my not so aggressive local terrain, while still having the chops to deal with more aggressive destinations I might travel too. However, the slack head angle makes me think it might feel sluggish on more plodding trails, or trails with tons of twists and turns, the sort of trail where an XC bike would be considered ideal. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Rattles - The Revolver that I just sold had a 1124 WB and ~ 70 deg HT angle and the new Trance Advanced 29 (medium) has a 1176 WB and 66.5 deg HT angle... so I had the same concerns! It took me a few tight switchbacks to adjust my riding and I dropped the bars ~ 5-10 mm (they were mounted way too high) then the bike felt very natural, well balanced, and agile but so forgiving. I have gone through a lot of slow speed rock gardens, tight trees, and switchbacks with no issues at all. The new Maestro is so active through rocky sections and handles braking bumps better than most. I would recommend demoing this bike if you can. Giant has quite a few Advanced Pro 1 29ers on their truck and also call the Giant dealers to see what demos they have. Its a great "do everything" bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    What's the BB Height?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzman View Post
    What's the BB Height?
    That's the million dollar question for me. I had my shop call Giant. Who ever they spoke to pulled a bike from the rack and measured it while on the phone.

I was told it measured at 33.8cm (13.3") I personally find this hard to believe for a few of reasons.
    1.There aren't many bikes with BB heights this high (for the travel).
    2. Giant (in my experience) has traditionally had lower BB compared to the competition.
    *3. If you use their Geo numbers. The bb drop is 1.4". So if you do the math. (29.1/2)-1.4 = 13.15"

* I used a tire diameter of 29 2.3 maxxis minion (speced on the front of the trance) from an mtbr article. Here.

I'm not saying I'm right but that's the best I have to go on at this point.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    BBD based off a size medium:

New Trance Advanced Pro 29 - 35mm
    Hightower - 33mm
    Ripley LS - 33mm
    Norco Revolver - 33mm

mtbr member
    Hi.

I'm tall 6,3" so I need an XL frame.
    I live in Italy and Giant Italy has said that they don't gone have any XL Trance for testing. Too bad.
    That's not the first time that someone says that the new Trance XL size seems too short.
    I'm really confused about the bike sizing, I've tried an XL Evil MB The Following that have a 470mm reach (Trance 480mm) and the feeling was really good going up and down.

Did someone tried both bikes, MB The Following and Trance 29?
    Any advice? Thanks.
    ------------------------------------
    MTB Connection - Ride together
    https://www.mtbconnection.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Just got the advanced pro 1 in XL

Comes in at 13.25kg with DMR V12 pedals. So around 12.9kg sans pedals.

2019 Trance 29-img_20180923_100120-edited.jpg2019 Trance 29-img_20180923_102047-edited.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    GaelP - I have 2 demos on The Following MB XO build and 4 demos on the new Trance Advanced 29er. To be honest, I did not like the Following MB at all. In my opinion, it did not pedal that well and lacks the acceleration snap that I want, it handled technical climbs well but not hardpack and fire roads... the bike felt slow, boring, and dead. The bike did descend ok but it lacked the stability that the new Trance 29er has. The Following MB felt overwhelmed in rocky terrain as the suspension is not as active as the new Trace. The longer wheelbase of the Trance helps here too. The new Trance 29 pedals, climbs, and descends better. If weight is a consideration, the Following MB is a pretty heavy bike! Its the heaviest bike by far that I demoed so far. Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    lchenco - Sweet! I demoed this model a few times. I ordered the "0" build with DVO a few weeks ago... I am number 6 on the list and was told it may ship next week or first week of October. Now go get that thing dusty/muddy :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by lchenco View Post
    Just got the advanced pro 1 in XL

Comes in at 13.25kg with DMR V12 pedals. So around 12.9kg sans pedals.

Name:	IMG_20180923_100120 - Edited.jpg 
Views:	1819 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	1217505Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180923_102047 - Edited.jpg 
Views:	1074 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	1217508
    Ordered the same bike, can you please confirm max front chain Ring size. Might want to throw it on a trainer this winter.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have had mine for about a week and a half. I changed out a few parts to get it to 26lbs 2 oz in size XL. The weight is without flat kit and hadn't installed the bottle cage yet. Otherwise, everything else was ready to ride including pedals and garmin mount.

Changed
    Wheels - I9 trail 270 with conti X-king 2.3 tires
    Drive train - XO1 with Raceface Next SL crank and wolftooth oval 32t ring
    bar/stem - Crank bros colbalt 11 bar, syntace F109 60mm stem
    Saddle - fabric line 134mm
    Dropper lever - Wolftooth 1x remote
    2019 Trance 29-img_2423.jpg2019 Trance 29-img_2425.jpg

Keep on Rockin...
    Availability on frame only?

And, though I don't weight my bikes, I am interested in how much certain parts weight - and in this case, wonder how much the frame alone (or with shock) weighs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim83 View Post
    I have had mine for about a week and a half. I changed out a few parts to get it to 26lbs 2 oz in size XL. The weight is without flat kit and hadn't installed the bottle cage yet. Otherwise, everything else was ready to ride including pedals and garmin mount.

Changed
    Wheels - I9 trail 270 with conti X-king 2.3 tires
    Drive train - XO1 with Raceface Next SL crank and wolftooth oval 32t ring
    bar/stem - Crank bros colbalt 11 bar, syntace F109 60mm stem
    Saddle - fabric line 134mm
    Dropper lever - Wolftooth 1x remote

Name:	IMG_2423.JPG 
Views:	324 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	1217548Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2425.JPG 
Views:	578 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	1217547
    Impressive. Also because compared to the original wheel set the weight is quite the same as the new one, 1650 gr. Is it right?

mtbr member
    Ordered the same bike, can you please confirm max front chain Ring size. Might want to throw it on a trainer this winter.

Cheers
    Amazing bike. Looks great in XL. If I'll take it probably I'll change the brakes (I've got a bad feeling with the sSam brakes), and probably the rear hub. I think there are only 18 points engagement. Do you confirm it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    MTB yumyum has a review up.

https://youtu.be/JktBp5GQ42M

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    MTB yumyum has a review up.

https://youtu.be/JktBp5GQ42M
    Last few videos I've seen of this guy, seems to say very similar things about each bike. Needs more compare/contrast between bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GaelP View Post
    Impressive. Also because compared to the original wheel set the weight is quite the same as the new one, 1650 gr. Is it right?
    Giant claims 1769g for the stock wheelset and I will have to see if I still have pics of my wheels on a scale but I believe they were around 1600g with tape and valves.

You can upgrade the freehub body and internals on the Giant wheel to the star ratchet system and alloy freehub to shave weight and get better engagement.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post

And, though I don't weight my bikes, I am interested in how much certain parts weight - and in this case, wonder how much the frame alone (or with shock) weighs.
    Frames were available last week in all sizes except large but it appears they are sold out already. It is a really cool color that is not available as a complete bike.

Not sure on frame weight, because of internal brake/cable routing I didn't care to strip it all the way down and weigh it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Hey I'm looking to get an XL and I was just wondering how tall you are? I'm 6'3" with an inseam of 36" and I'm trying to figure out if this bike will have enough reach for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Hey I'm looking to get an XL and I was just wondering how tall you are? I'm 6'3" with an inseam of 36" and I'm trying to figure out if this bike will have enough reach for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Cheers
    Not entirely sure, could maybe fit a 34? see the pic below
    2019 Trance 29-img_20180925_170219.jpg

Also fit some xt stoppers
    2019 Trance 29-img_20180925_212259.jpg

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    Last few videos I've seen of this guy, seems to say very similar things about each bike. Needs more compare/contrast between bikes.
    Maybe because geo and suspension on all the different bikes are getting pretty dialed? I follow his test reviews and he’s not always giving 5 Star catch phrase reviews!😎👍

Phil
    Apr 2007
    Giant claims 1769g for the stock wheelset and I will have to see if I still have pics of my wheels on a scale but I believe they were around 1600g with tape and valves.

You can upgrade the freehub body and internals on the Giant wheel to the star ratchet system and alloy freehub to shave weight and get better engagement.
    I have the TRX 1 wheels (from a 2019 Trance Advanced 2) and it has the 3-pawl internals. Not upgradeable (with star ratchet).

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by blkmrkt91 View Post
    I have the TRX 1 wheels (from a 2019 Trance Advanced 2) and it has the 3-pawl internals. Not upgradeable (with star ratchet).
    I will double check mine, but I was told it was the same hub as last year and if so, it is a DT based hub which can be uograded with a drive ring, star ratchets, seals, and freehub body. Not cheap and you need some specialized tools to remove the drive ring, but still cheaper than rebuilding a new hub on to the rim.

mtbr member
    Trance 29er looks interesting. I only had a brief parking lot ride when my friend was testing one.
    It was Aluminium 2 I believe (NX, alu wheels, Fox Rythm).

Interestingly, I expected it to be heavier than it was considering everything on it was "heavy" and it had Minion DHF/DHR2 set of tires plus some big flat pedals.

Bike sans pedals weighs around 13.7kg, so that would mean that the frame and shock amount to 3kg which is quite decent for aluminium L sized bike. Carbon should drop another 200-300gr and matte version could drop another 200-300gr so in theory Advanced Pro should weigh around 2500-2600gr with shock.

Size L was however quite small for me and I'd definitely go for XL (I'm 188cm) and everyone over 185cm should go for XL IMO).

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hey Marin, do your LBS in Croatia has them in stock already? What is the street price for aluminum 2?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    NBD (and first forum post). Just getting back into mountain biking after a long time off, and tbh I was never an avid biker to begin with. Thought I wanted to get back into it more for some adventurous exercise, and picked up a Fathom 29 2 a month or so ago for cruising hills around my house. Great bike, but I didn't expect to quickly fall in love with mountain biking the way I have, and also didn't realize how much great terrain there is super close to my house. Only took a little exploring and riding to figure out I wanted to go in a different direction. Brought this home today.

GetFileAttachment , on Flickr

Phil
    Apr 2007
    I will double check mine, but I was told it was the same hub as last year and if so, it is a DT based hub which can be uograded with a drive ring, star ratchets, seals, and freehub body. Not cheap and you need some specialized tools to remove the drive ring, but still cheaper than rebuilding a new hub on to the rim.
    Still not doable on the TRX-1 hubs unless you are willing to do some machining on the hub, but that's kinda sketchy ha.

Looks like the TRX-0 hubs are DT350 internal equivalent so it'd be super easy to swap out for a better engaging star ratchet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Just to add the info: Shock size is 165x42.5

mtbr member
    Isn't it supposed to be 165x40mm? They say that you should run approximately 11mm sag.

It isn't too bad though... 40mm stroke for 115mm travel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    You could be right. I had been searching for it and found it here, but he could totally be wrong, I havent seen it in print. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc86ghvEAXA

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I ordered the Pro "0" build which comes with DT240 hubs. The Pro 1 build should come with DT350 hubs. The wheels this year are top notch. I get killer team deals on Enves but I am keeping this wheelset on!
    Still not doable on the TRX-1 hubs unless you are willing to do some machining on the hub, but that's kinda sketchy ha.

Looks like the TRX-0 hubs are DT350 internal equivalent so it'd be super easy to swap out for a better engaging star ratchet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I now have ~ 8 rides on the new Trance Pro 1 29er. Today, I couldn't believe how fast the bike was. I set multiple PR's up, down, and on the flats. With 25% sag, the bike accelerates quickly but still very active and plush. You can just stay on the power through the chunk and the bike just floats through. Its no wonder Tristan Uhl placed second on this bike at Downieville. I was grinning quite a bit today with how fast the bike was and also how much fun it was. The bike is very confident inspiring on jumps and high speed berms. You guys need to demo this bike!!!

mtbr member

This upgrade is really interesting, thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by play time View Post
    I ordered the Pro "0" build which comes with DT240 hubs. The Pro 1 build should come with DT350 hubs. The wheels this year are top notch. I get killer team deals on Enves but I am keeping this wheelset on!
    I see you're riding in Park City. I'm looking REEEEEL hard at the 29er 0 also....very interested in the DVO suspension. I'd be very interested to hear your take on going up/down Sweeny's-John's and general buff trails in the area. Who did you order from?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I just wonder who has the better carbon fiber ? That is one thing i'm sure some are better than other. Yeti looks like they have the best

Phil
    Apr 2007
    The Pro 1 build comes with the TRX 1 wheelset, so again, it is not the 350 equivalent. It's the 370 equivalent. The TRX 0 does have the star ratchet though...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The Pro 1 build comes with the TRX 1 wheelset, so again, it is not the 350 equivalent. It's the 370 equivalent. The TRX 0 does have the star ratchet though...
    As mentioned before, it can be converted to a star ratchet system. The carbon TRX 1 is a DT 360 3 paw hub. The only thing that makes it 3 paw are the drive ring and freehub body. You need their 3 paw drive ring tool, star ratchet drive ring tool, and all the star ratchet part to convert it. I have already done this on 4 other older wheels and did pull the freehub body on the current TRX 1 to double check that it is the same. Below are pics of the internal drive ring for the 3 paw and all the parts/tools needed to convert it to star ratchet.

There is no machining needed for this conversion. Just a vice, 2 tools, and parts.

2019 Trance 29-img_2449.jpg2019 Trance 29-img_2448.jpg

mtbr member
    So lucky XL guys that already have this Trance 29, how does it performs?
    The bike is not too short?
    In the climbs do you feel like Nino Schurter?

Phil
    Apr 2007
    As mentioned before, it can be converted to a star ratchet system. The carbon TRX 1 is a DT 360 3 paw hub. The only thing that makes it 3 paw are the drive ring and freehub body. You need their 3 paw drive ring tool, star ratchet drive ring tool, and all the star ratchet part to convert it. I have already done this on 4 other older wheels and did pull the freehub body on the current TRX 1 to double check that it is the same. Below are pics of the internal drive ring for the 3 paw and all the parts/tools needed to convert it to star ratchet.

There is no machining needed for this conversion. Just a vice, 2 tools, and parts.

Name:	IMG_2449.JPG 
Views:	218 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	1218925Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2448.JPG 
Views:	194 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	1218926
    Oh wow. This is awesome news. Going to make the upgrade ASAP. I had "learned" from a Youtuber that it was not doable without some machining. My bad... Thanks for clarifying!

Phil
    Apr 2007
    Just got off the phone with a DT Rep and they highly recommend not doing the conversion for the 3-pawl to star ratchet system because while the parts fit, apparently theres no proper way to fully seal/protect the star ratchet and the bearing. It's doable, but apparently is prone to slipping and quicker wear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I see you're riding in Park City. I'm looking REEEEEL hard at the 29er 0 also....very interested in the DVO suspension. I'd be very interested to hear your take on going up/down Sweeny's-John's and general buff trails in the area. Who did you order from?
    After demoing The Following MB, Ibis Ripley LS (3 times), Blur, Hightower, SB 4.5, Trail 429, and the new Trance Pro 29er (maybe 8 times), I think the versatility of the new Trance 29er is hard to beat. I have ridden the new Trance 29er from downhill flow trails at Deer Valley with a lot of high speed berms and jumps to a lot of xc trails with a lot of climbing such as Park City, local ski resorts, and bench trails. I love to climb and descend and this bike can do both. Utah offers a lot of diverse riding so I wanted one bike to cover it all. The "0" build with DVO is everything that I want, including the new TRX wheelset with the DT240 hubs. I ordered my "0" build from Bikers Edge in Kaysville Utah. Try to demo the new Trance if you can... especially the Pro 1 build and higher. Ask more questions as they come up!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    If you demo, I like ~ 25% sag which is ~ 11mm and make sure the bars aren't set-up too high... I had to lower mine 15mm which made the bike feel much better

mtbr member
    After demoing The Following MB, Ibis Ripley LS (3 times), Blur, Hightower, SB 4.5, Trail 429, and the new Trance Pro 29er (maybe 8 times), I think the versatility of the new Trance 29er is hard to beat. I have ridden the new Trance 29er from downhill flow trails at Deer Valley with a lot of high speed berms and jumps to a lot of xc trails with a lot of climbing such as Park City, local ski resorts, and bench trails. I love to climb and descend and this bike can do both. Utah offers a lot of diverse riding so I wanted one bike to cover it all. The "0" build with DVO is everything that I want, including the new TRX wheelset with the DT240 hubs. I ordered my "0" build from Bikers Edge in Kaysville Utah. Try to demo the new Trance if you can... especially the Pro 1 build and higher. Ask more questions as they come up!
    Thanks. I think I'll be getting the Pro 0 also. Probably March or so. Once the weather clears, I'll see if I can get Go-Ride to loan me one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks. I think I'll be getting the Pro 0 also. Probably March or so. Once the weather clears, I'll see if I can get Go-Ride to loan me one.
    I know Bikers Edge in Kaysville has some Pro 1 builds with the DPX2's that are mediums and X-larges that you can demo. They might have other sizes too.

mtbr member
    Have you tried also the aluminium version? I would like to take the carbon 1 but probably the budget will be too high for me, so I'll go to the aluminium 1.

mtbr member
    I know Bikers Edge in Kaysville has some Pro 1 builds with the DPX2's that are mediums and X-larges that you can demo. They might have other sizes too.
    Thanks, once the snow melts from this round of storms!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaelP View Post
    Have you tried also the aluminium version? I would like to take the carbon 1 but probably the budget will be too high for me, so I'll go to the aluminium 1.
    I'm sure the aluminum is a great value, but I only have a limited number of years to spend the children's' inheritance!

NedwannaB
    I'm sure the aluminum is a great value, but I only have a limited number of years to spend the children's' inheritance!
    Fortunately for me no inheritance to pass on so the aluminum model will be an easy choice!😬😎

Zak
    Discernibly Turgid
    Jul 2004

I just unboxed a small Advanced frame for my wife, it was 5.75lbs with HS cups, rear axle, and DVO T3 shock. Sparkly chameleon paint looks great in person!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    I just unboxed a small Advanced frame for my wife, it was 5.75lbs with HS cups, rear axle, and DVO T3 shock. Sparkly chameleon paint looks great in person!
    OOOOOH!
    Are you going to use a DVO fork for the build?
    Do the colors of the shock and frame match well? I may need to go this route for my pleasure unit!

Good frame pictures, please.

mtbr member
    Just got a large frame weighed 5lbs 13oz with HS cups and rear axle

It really does looke awesome, especially in the sun.

2019 Trance 29-697184c1-db26-4663-b08a-2505e0ce442e.jpg

2019 Trance 29-8b3b00ef-fa4a-492d-99ae-c95236e4127d.jpg

Phil
    Apr 2007

Name:	697184C1-DB26-4663-B08A-2505E0CE442E.jpg 
Views:	644 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	1220373

Name:	8B3B00EF-FA4A-492D-99AE-C95236E4127D.jpg 
Views:	523 
Size:	233.0 KB 
ID:	1220374
    holy molly.... YEAH! This paint job puts my 2019 trance advanced 2 black and red cheapo paint job to some serious shame. Are you gonna put some protective wrap on this beauty?

mtbr member
    My husband is pretty set on 27.5+ tires. Can anyone confirm if this bike will fit 27.5 x 2.8" tires? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Does anyone know how many points of engagement the stock Trance 29 2 has?

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by edvurd View Post
    Does anyone know how many points of engagement the stock Trance 29 2 has?
    Not a lot. But you'd only notice if you're used to high engagement hubs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mLeier View Post
    My husband is pretty set on 27.5+ tires. Can anyone confirm if this bike will fit 27.5 x 2.8" tires? Thanks.
    Your best bet would be to communicate with Giant, or talk to a Giant dealer. I thought it would work, but I don't see anything on their site regarding 27.5+ on the Pro models. The Giant Trance takes 27.5, but they don't mention +, as far as I can tell.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Why not get the regular non-29 trance then? I know it can fit 2.6 in the rear and most likely 2.8 up front. I don't think the trance necessarily needs 2.8s in the back..that maestro suspension is pretty plush as is.. 2.6/2.8 would be a nice combo on the 27.5 version. (or even 2.6 front and rear) If he wants a shorter travel plus bike that's a different story..

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

2.8 front 2.6 Rear

29er trance 2.0

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Trance 29-img_20181013_104840.jpg  

2019 Trance 29-img_20181013_105013.jpg  

2019 Trance 29-img_20181013_105031.jpg  

2019 Trance 29-img_20181013_105011.jpg  

2019 Trance 29-img_20181013_105019.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    29er trance 2.0

Cheers
    Cool. My concern with that is you're changing the geometry a bit.. would love to get a report on how it rides and if pedal strikes are an issue. Pretty sweet though if it works.

mtbr member
    29er trance 2.0

Cheers
    Is it the front tire mount correctly?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by derrapancio View Post
    No I mounted it horizontally.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    No I mounted it horizontally.
    That Rekon does look like it's mounted facing the wrong direction.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyfnz View Post
    That Rekon does look like it's mounted facing the wrong direction.
    Looks like it’s just put on backwards to show fitment because the bike it came off of had a bigger front brake rotor.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Name:	697184C1-DB26-4663-B08A-2505E0CE442E.jpg 
Views:	644 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	1220373

Name:	8B3B00EF-FA4A-492D-99AE-C95236E4127D.jpg 
Views:	523 
Size:	233.0 KB 
ID:	1220374
    Gonna have my frame next week. It is super unique. Changes color in the sun. I saw the paint jobs on the advanced 1. Giant seems to have stepped it up. Also love the muted logos unlike some pivots I’ve seen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowmenace View Post
    Gonna have my frame next week. It is super unique. Changes color in the sun. I saw the paint jobs on the advanced 1. Giant seems to have stepped it up. Also love the muted logos unlike some pivots I’ve seen.

Nice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derrapancio View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking it was backwards also.

But, thanks for the photo! Good to know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Can someone tell me, which size of the Giant Trance 29 you are riding. I am about 5'11 (180 cm, 87 cm leg inside lenght) and don't know which size would be the right one. I found this chart on the giant homepage and according to this table I would need a M, I thought L would be the right size for me.

https://images.giant-bicycles.com/b_...izingsheet.jpg

My dealer gets a bike not before end of december, so I cannot try it before.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I think that chart corresponds to the Trance 29 from a few years ago. At least on the US site they don't show a chart for the 19 Trance 29, though there is a chart for the 27.5 Trance. I live chatted with one of the droids told me that the regular Trance chart applies to the 29, even though they have different geometries. I take that with a grain of salt though. I'm 5'11" with 31" inside leg, and I went with the M when I got mine. That's what the shop recommended. I pedaled L and M around the parking lot, and didn't have a strong preference either way. M seemed to feel slightly better, but I'm not an experienced rider, and might be subject to confirmation bias. I have liked it on trail though, and feel good about the decision. That said, it seems like others have leaned towards saying it rides small.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I would go with a large and Worst case move your seat forward for a better STA.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daruss View Post
    Can someone tell me, which size of the Giant Trance 29 you are riding. I am about 5'11 (180 cm, 87 cm leg inside lenght) and don't know which size would be the right one. I found this chart on the giant homepage and according to this table I would need a M, I thought L would be the right size for me.

https://images.giant-bicycles.com/b_...izingsheet.jpg

I'm 5'8" tall and a medium trance 29 is perfect for me. I'd be a bit surprised if a large didn't work for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daruss View Post

https://images.giantbicycles.com/b_w...izingsheet.jpg

Im 5 11 with a 33 inseam and got a large as it fits great! I think M would be to small

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Why cant I find a size chart for this bike on their website? They have one for the Anthems and Trance 27.5

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I’’m 6’0 with 34’’ inseam, with rather long arms. Demoed a L but the cockpit felt too tight compared to my Anthem 29er. I ordered a XL.

Keep on Rockin...
    How's rear tire clearance on the 29 Trance? Enough to fit a real, plump 2.4"?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyfnz View Post
    Cool. My concern with that is you're changing the geometry a bit.. would love to get a report on how it rides and if pedal strikes are an issue. Pretty sweet though if it works.
    Wait, are those 27.5x2.8/2.6's on the 29er?
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 10-15-2018 at 11:14 AM.

mtbr member
    I just got back from the dealer's looking at a Trance 29 Pro 1

The side clearance in the frame (top rear of frame) was a massive 3.14". The 2.3" Maxxis tires on 30mm rims looked completely dwarfed with plenty of room left over. The bottom of the frame was too much trouble to measure, but it looked about the same. The fork looked good, too. I didn't measure it, as I'm interested in the DVO, not the Fox 34, but I'm thinking a 29x2.6 is reasonable.

The weight was with an XO1 crankset, not the Dub XO1 (which I think is a few ounces lighter), Guide RSC's, a 2.3 DHF in front 2.3 Minion SS on the back - without pedals this medium came in a 29lbs 12 oz. It belonged to one of the employees.

Keep on Rockin...
    I just got back from the dealer's looking at a Trance 29 Pro 1

The side clearance in the frame (top rear of frame) was a massive 3.14". The 2.3" Maxxis tires on 30mm rims looked completely dwarfed with plenty of room left over. The bottom of the frame was too much trouble to measure, but it looked about the same. The fork looked good, too. I didn't measure it, as I'm interested in the DVO, not the Fox 34, but I'm thinking a 29x2.6 is reasonable.

The weight was with an XO1 crankset, not the Dub XO1 (which I think is a few ounces lighter), Guide RSC's, a 2.3 DHF in front 2.3 Minion SS on the back - without pedals this medium came in a 29lbs 12 oz. It belonged to one of the employees.
    Cool. Thanks.

Keep on Rockin...
    Seat tube length...

Thinking about building this frame up.

About the only remaining issue I have is the seat tube length on the large is listed as 19". If you want to run a longer dropper post that's cutting it close.

Any one have a real life measurement of the real, effective seat tube length on a large? I mean running a straight edge from the top of the seat tube to the middle of the BB.

Thanks

Phil
    Apr 2007
    I used a 150mm OneUp dropper on my medium that's supposed to only be able to fit a 125mm dropper. OneUp somehow made their form factor smaller then the other brands. If 170mm is all you need, that one will definitely fit in the Large.

Seat tube length...

Thinking about building this frame up.

About the only remaining issue I have is the seat tube length on the large is listed as 19". If you want to run a longer dropper post that's cutting it close.

Any one have a real life measurement of the real, effective seat tube length on a large? I mean running a straight edge from the top of the seat tube to the middle of the BB.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Just an update: I have about 4 rides on my Pro 0 with DVO. I have tuned and retuned the suspension and its getting there. To remove a volume spacer out of the shock, it only takes 2 minutes on the side of the trail! I have talked to DVO a couple times with my concerns and I may have to send the suspension in to have it detuned for a lighter rider (I am 138-140 pounds). I will wait till Ronnie Jr. gets back in the country for his advice (he's the tuning guru for DVO). There is a ride feel that I miss that the Pro 1 with DPX2 and Fox shock offered... If I can't get the same ride quality that I am looking for, this bike is for sale and I will pick up a Pro 1.

mtbr member
    Just an update: I have about 4 rides on my Pro 0 with DVO. I have tuned and retuned the suspension and its getting there. To remove a volume spacer out of the shock, it only takes 2 minutes on the side of the trail! I have talked to DVO a couple times with my concerns and I may have to send the suspension in to have it detuned for a lighter rider (I am 138-140 pounds). I will wait till Ronnie Jr. gets back in the country for his advice (he's the tuning guru for DVO). There is a ride feel that I miss that the Pro 1 with DPX2 and Fox shock offered... If I can't get the same ride quality that I am looking for, this bike is for sale and I will pick up a Pro 1.
    Hope it works out. What's it weigh? Is it stock?

mtbr member
    Hi guys.

Does someone compare this new Trance to the Intense Primer?
    In XL it seems that the stand over is higher (811 mm) compare to the Trance (785 mm) but the Intense frame design seems more sloping, that's strange. Any advice?

mtbr member
    For those interested the BB height with 29 wheels with a Minion DHF F DHR II R both 2.3 is 338mm with 27.5+ with 2 minion DHFs 2.8 is 325mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    For those interested the BB height with 29 wheels with a Minion DHF F DHR II R both 2.3 is 338mm with 27.5+ with 2 minion DHFs 2.8 is 325mm
    What rims are you using on the minion 2.8's? have you noticed more pedal strikes with the plus tire set up? I'm curious since thats the build i'm planning if i decide to go Trance 29.

mtbr member
    Regarding DVO, friend of mine got Reign SX '19 and it comes with Onyx SC 180mm.

The fork feels really nice, not sure how does Sapphire 34 compare though.

Pro 0 build is good but way too expensive.
    Generally, I'm not happy with component selection on the bikes considering the value for money.

TAP1 looks well rounded but comes with Performance level fork, Guide T and full GX Eagle for 5K plus aluminum cockpit.

T1 comes with basic shock which is not that good of a deal for 4k on aluminum bike.

In the end probably the best value is lowly T2 that's just as good and it's well rounded.
    The difference in price between the higher end models is almost double and you can upgrade certain things like even better wheelset than the carbon trx1, add x01 cassette later on when nx wears and so on...

The pricing and kit on this year's T29 is really off, while TAP0 is desirable and comes with good kit, it's price tag is hard to swallow and other models bar T2 are really lacking.

For comparison, friend of mine got himself 2018 T1 27.5 for less than 3k euros. Bike comes with GX Eagle and Performance Elite suspension (with DPX2 shock).

Sure, he got more basic alu wheelset, but T29 1 costs 1k more now and comes with performance not elite suspension, DPS shock but with carbon wheels....

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Found this review while searching around for more info on this bike. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN5tEfUrB5M

The first review I've seen that wasn't entirely glowing. Can those of you who've ridden or bought this bike speak to his complaint that the front end is twitchy and wants to fold under you while in the rough stuff, or tight cornering?

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattles View Post
    Found this review while searching around for more info on this bike. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN5tEfUrB5M

The first review I've seen that wasn't entirely glowing. Can those of you who've ridden or bought this bike speak to his complaint that the front end is twitchy and wants to fold under you while in the rough stuff, or tight cornering?
    Didn't make it more than a couple seconds through the video before this guy got automatic wanker status for the video description. 66.5 degrees is steep now? Next.

I got a pretty decent ride in on an Advanced 1 yesterday. Mind you the two bikes I own are a steel single speed (hardtail 120mm fork 69 degree head tube) and an older Anthem 29 (71 degree head tube). So, twitchy front end? No. Just. No. Fold under in rough stuff or tight cornering? I rode the bike on an XC loop, a flow loop, and a jump line or two. I didn't notice any desire for the wheel to fold under at all.

I've put a lot of time on a lot of demo bikes trying to find one I felt like was on point for what I ride most frequently and to make the range of climbing and sendy stuff I ride all work well (ie needs to climb well for a long time, needs to be able to handle getting rowdy) and while I'd found a couple, they were all $6K+ and building trail simply doesn't pay that well. I do think I see one of these bikes in my future though. It really wasn't hard to ride, even the first couple miles, and once I adjusted to it some, it was really very good.

mtbr member
    Offset does matter however, I remember owning 2013 Cannondale Trigger with 68.5 HA and 61mm offset. It felt quite a bit slacker than numbers would suggest.
    Therefore, 2 bikes with same HA but different offset could actually feel quite a bit different.

mtbr member
    May 2006

I won't discount what this guy is feeling, but I will posit that his analysis of the source is wrong. He was heading the right way when he questioned the bike being too small, but didn't go further and went back to the steering geometry instead. I think it's much more likely that he was undersized on that bike and overloading the front tire. He also questioned having the wrong pressure in the front tire - those things combined could be bouncing him off line and sending the wheel into odd angles. Really nothing to do with HA and offset at that point. Any time you turn a wheel past its tipping point, you're going to run into problems - but you'd never use that much steering lock at speed...
    I've ridden bikes at ~68 with 51 and 44 offset, and can tell you the 44 is less prone to folding in on itself (and neither want to spit you off the front the way and old school 72 ha does). I have not ridden a 66.5 bike, but the physics don't really support his hypothesis. I'll let you know when my frame finally arrives - they're talking Christmas :/

NedwannaB

Unbiased commentary wanted...

Ok throwing a wrench in the works here.....
    So, who has been on a late model 27.5 Trance(ie metric shock/trunnion rocker), had a taste of the koolaid with the new 29er, but decided to stick with the 27.5? Are you running 2.5/2.6 tires on the 27.5 version? Where does your riding style fit in? Agile, zippy “pop off” anything type trails? Or that new long, low slack “inspires confidence” at speed renegade? Are you a small(myself), med, or taller rider?

My lbs recommends the sm 27.5 Trance over a sm T29 version even though I fit both fine. I’ve had a sm Rip 9, Anthem 27.5 and currently ride an OG Ibis Ripley(which I would retool current trail setup for an xc type build)and a Stumjumper HT 29(which I would sell to get either of the Trance models).

I realize they’re abit off in the new geo nowadays but still, I’m not sure the wheel size affects me personally.

Discuss.

mtbr member
    I won't comment about the wheel size but trance can be built up light as the frame weight is pretty low but using fat 2.5-2.6 tires on such a bike is going to kill it's agility because you need wide rims, solid tires and all of that adds weight.

I'd argue T29 is more modern with slightly slacker HA and steeper ST and it's probably fair bit more efficient and you can get away with narrower tires.

WillWorkForTrail
    Ok throwing a wrench in the works here.....
    So, who has been on a late model 27.5 Trance(ie metric shock/trunnion rocker), had a taste of the koolaid with the new 29er, but decided to stick with the 27.5? Are you running 2.5/2.6 tires on the 27.5 version? Where does your riding style fit in? Agile, zippy “pop off” anything type trails? Or that new long, low slack “inspires confidence” at speed renegade? Are you a small(myself), med, or taller rider?

My lbs recommends the sm 27.5 Trance over a sm T29 version even though I fit both fine. I’ve had a sm Rip 9, Anthem 27.5 and currently ride an OG Ibis Ripley(which I would retool current trail setup for an xc type build)and a Stumjumper HT 29(which I would sell to get either of the Trance models).

I realize they’re abit off in the new geo nowadays but still, I’m not sure the wheel size affects me personally.

Discuss.
    I've demoed every version of the 27.5 Trance. My biggest problem with, not just the trance, but all 27.5 bikes I've demoed is that if I want to be lazy on a fast flat/shallow downhill and just stand there loose and catch my breath for a minute and let the bike roll, the 27.5 is slower than the 29er because, in spite of all the arguments that a 27.5 will accelerate faster, it decelerates more on the roots and crap in the trail than a 29er does, so I end up faster on the 29er every time.

My riding style is fast enough to have fun, I take the strange (more fun) lines in some places, faster lines in other places (sometimes faster/more fun happens on the same line) but I don't race, I don't consider myself fast, and I don't go out and try to beat goals or set PRs. Tall rider, XL or XXL every time.

Keep on Rockin...

Sounds like, the fork was divey.

Maybe needed more air or compression damping.

mtbr member
    I demo'd a Trance 29-2 alloy bike in a medium. I'm 5'8" tall, 66 years old, 150 pounds. I've been riding a 26.4 pound Yeti SB5c with 27.5x2.6 Nobby Nics and keeping track of climb times. Most of my riding is in Park City, Utah and Moab.

I'm in the process of demo-ing 29ers and rode a Yeti SB100, medium, GX Comp build. It came in at 29.2 pounds with XT Trail pedals. A section of a climb that my previous best time of 27:17 came out at 25:53 on this. But, the downhill section was not so nice. The front end tended to ricochet all over the place. I have that review on the Yeti SB100 forum. I plan to demo the SB130.

Yesterday, I got my hands on the Trance 29-2. It comes in at a whopping 32.2 pounds in this build, with the only mod being that it has 2.4" Conti Trail Kings....which actually saves some weight!

I set it up at 11mm of sag, and used slightly less than the recommended pressure on the Fox Rhythm fork (68psi). The Trail King 2.4" is a legit 2.4" and I ran the front at 19psi, rear at 22psi. It sure looks like 2.6" tires would fit fine on this frame.

A couple of things:
    I was pretty tired after 5 days of hard, but short, one hour rides in a row.
    I was also pretty disheartened by the massive weight of this bike, and that affected my initial enthusiasm....negatively.

Toward the end of the ride, I was beginning to "get into" riding it, though.
    The 100mm of travel on the SB100 felt like 100mm of fairly stiff travel.
    The 115mm of travel on the Trance really did feel like more. It is going to "bob" more than the SB100, if you mash the pedals, but if you are relatively smooth (like average or better) I really don't think this is an issue. I would generally only ride this bike in the fully open position.

Toward the end of my ride, on the last 25+ minutes of climb, the times I've posted are:

SB5c: 27:17
    SB100: 25:53
    29-2: 26:35

So, this led sled of a Trance build was only 32 seconds slower than the SB100, and faster than my completely dialed in - 6 pounds lighter - SB5c. That impresses the SH*T out of me, frankly!

Also, with the "Lower end" Fox Rhythm it descended really well. It felt more smooth and confident (the extra 1.5 degrees of slackness in the HTA, maybe) than the SB100.
    All in all, I'm thinking good thoughts about this bike. If you have the 29-2, you have one hell of a good "bang for the buck" piece of kit.

I had been looking at the Pro 29 0 and still may go that route, but I noticed that "Slim83" on page one got his Pro 29-1 down to 26 pounds 2 oz. That may be a better way for me to go, as I have a Next SL crankset available to swap in and really like the Ibis wheels I have on my SB5. I did notice the relative lack of engagement on the Giant hub, but there are only a few rides I'm on where that would impact me.

As a note, toward the end of this demo ride, in the last 7 minutes or so of climbing my enthusiasm continued to grow.

On my SB5: 7:16
    SB100: 6:54
    29-2: 6:38 (Interestingly, I passed a guy on an SB100).

NedwannaB
    I demo'd a Trance 29-2 alloy bike in a medium. I'm 5'8" tall, 66 years old, 150 pounds. I've been riding a 26.4 pound Yeti SB5c with 27.5x2.6 Nobby Nics and keeping track of climb times. Most of my riding is in Park City, Utah and Moab.

I'm in the process of demo-ing 29ers and rode a Yeti SB100, medium, GX Comp build. It came in at 29.2 pounds with XT Trail pedals. A section of a climb that my previous best time of 27:17 came out at 25:53 on this. But, the downhill section was not so nice. The front end tended to ricochet all over the place. I have that review on the Yeti SB100 forum. I plan to demo the SB130.

Yesterday, I got my hands on the Trance 29-2. It comes in at a whopping 32.2 pounds in this build, with the only mod being that it has 2.4" Conti Trail Kings....which actually saves some weight!

I set it up at 11mm of sag, and used slightly less than the recommended pressure on the Fox Rhythm fork (68psi). The Trail King 2.4" is a legit 2.4" and I ran the front at 19psi, rear at 22psi. It sure looks like 2.6" tires would fit fine on this frame.

A couple of things:
    I was pretty tired after 5 days of hard, but short, one hour rides in a row.
    I was also pretty disheartened by the massive weight of this bike, and that affected my initial enthusiasm....negatively.

Toward the end of the ride, I was beginning to "get into" riding it, though.
    The 100mm of travel on the SB100 felt like 100mm of fairly stiff travel.
    The 115mm of travel on the Trance really did feel like more. It is going to "bob" more than the SB100, if you mash the pedals, but if you are relatively smooth (like average or better) I really don't think this is an issue. I would generally only ride this bike in the fully open position.

Toward the end of my ride, on the last 25+ minutes of climb, the times I've posted are:

SB5c: 27:17
    SB100: 25:53
    29-2: 26:35

So, this led sled of a Trance build was only 32 seconds slower than the SB100, and faster than my completely dialed in - 6 pounds lighter - SB5c. That impresses the SH*T out of me, frankly!

Also, with the "Lower end" Fox Rhythm it descended really well. It felt more smooth and confident (the extra 1.5 degrees of slackness in the HTA, maybe) than the SB100.
    All in all, I'm thinking good thoughts about this bike. If you have the 29-2, you have one hell of a good "bang for the buck" piece of kit.

I had been looking at the Pro 29 0 and still may go that route, but I noticed that "Slim83" on page one got his Pro 29-1 down to 26 pounds 2 oz. That may be a better way for me to go, as I have a Next SL crankset available to swap in and really like the Ibis wheels I have on my SB5. I did notice the relative lack of engagement on the Giant hub, but there are only a few rides I'm on where that would impact me.

As a note, toward the end of this demo ride, in the last 7 minutes or so of climbing my enthusiasm continued to grow.

On my SB5: 7:16
    SB100: 6:54
    29-2: 6:38 (Interestingly, I passed a guy on an SB100).
    Surprised at the Trance # but not the performance! 👍😎

mtbr member
    Surprised at the Trance # but not the performance! 👍😎
    Yeah.
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a medium Pro 29 1. I was going to get the zero, but for way less than the $3500 difference, I can modify this really nicely!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I am selling my medium Pro 29 0 build now on eBay and pinkbike! $6900 on pinkbike and a little more on eBay.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    2019 Trance Pro 29 0 medium = 26.8 without pedals
    2019 Trance Pro 29 1 medium = 27.9 without pedals

mtbr member
    Excellent. So far, I've picked out a Next handlebar, lighter stem (which is 50mm, as the medium felt a little short to me) and two 29x2.35 Nobby Nics (at 770 and 780 grams). That alone should drop a pound. I also have a spare RaceFace Next SL Crankset at 360 (!) grams, which should drop another half pound. That should drop the weight down close to to 26lbs (sans pedals) on the 29-1, for a measly $390.
    ....even found a green Absolute Black oval boost chainring.

That should put me at GaelP's weight.
    Thanks to both of you (GaelP and play time) for all the helpful info!

Looking hard at the I9 wheelset for another half pound.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 10-23-2018 at 12:28 PM.

mtbr member
    So, the mid range Fox suspension is actually lighter than top end DVO?
    Considering the difference in weight between the parts of two bikes, Pro 0 should be around 700-800gr lighter not accounting for the suspension, but according to your numbers it's just 500gr difference.
    I wonder if it's possible to run Fox 34 SC at 130mm? That would drop another 300-400gr from the bike for weight weenies

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    No, the top "0" with DVO is lighter at 26.8 without pedals

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Honestly, when riding both bikes back to back numerous times, I can't tell the difference in weight. You can drop quite a bit of weight off the Pro 1 like the cranks and dropper. I personally can spin those DHF and DHR2's pretty fast and have set some PR's on different rides with them compared to my Rocket Ron/Ralph set-up on my XC/trail bike. I love the wider 30mm width rims and will never ride anything narrower. I have ridden 35mm rims with NN 2.6's on a Ripley LS but I still like a wider 2.3/2.4 on a 30mm rim.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Anyone happen to have some time on a Sniper Trail and this bike? The Intense and a few others have been on my short list to replace my Honzo carbon that I use for everything, this bike was only just recently pointed out and sounds like a great option.

Would be racing endurance XC races on it (not solely, looking for one to do it all), does it ride too heavy/plush or could a lightweight build with a couple sets of tires fit the bill as my do-it-all rig?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    does anyone know weight for 2019 Trance 29 2, large?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plonx View Post
    does anyone know weight for 2019 Trance 29 2, large?
    13.78kg without pedals.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    13.78kg without pedals.
    Is that the Pro 29 2, or the 29 2?
    As I recall, the regular alloy 29 2 was 32.2 lbs (14.6 Kg) with XT trail pedals which come in at .88 lb (400 gms).

I demo'd a 29.2 lb SB100 and based on riding the "lead alloy" 29 2, at 32.2 lbs, bought a Giant Trance Pro 29 1.

The hype is pretty accurate. If I were bigger, stronger, younger and needed to save money, I'd have been very happy on the alloy version. It really is a great bike-for-the-buck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Advanced 2

I bought a Trance 29 Advanced 2 and thought to write about it in order to add info to this already helpful thread. My main concern with the Trance 2 was the suspension would be very much substandard to the Trance 0 that many magazines have reviewed, plus I have seen the odd negative comment on the 2

Upon receiving the bike I set the suspension up according to the Fox instructions then went out with my Shockwiz set on playful to do some measurements and adjustments. In two rides and with some minor adjustments the fork scored 100% and the shock 96%. The results are below.

2019 Trance 29-fork2.jpg

2019 Trance 29-shock2.jpg

I have had the Shockwiz on a bunch of bikes and its nice to hit those scores with hardly any work. Below is the setup I settled on and I weigh 153 lbs including gear.

Fork

Added one volume spacer for a total of 2
    63 psi (33 mm, 25% sag)
    10 clicks rebound (from fully closed with the first click being one)

Fork Notes:

The fork has a sticker with recommend pressure of 70 psi for my weight but it seems to give up some small bump compliance. 63 psi felt much better.

I added one volume spacer so the fork would not bottom out. It uses all 130mm travel with the extra spacer.

Fox recommended rebound is 10 or 11 and for me 10 worked best.

Shock

153 psi (11mm, 25% sag)
    7 clicks rebound (from fully closed with the first click being one).

Shock Notes: Fox recommended rebound is 8 or 9 but I needed to use 7 to avoid a bouncing type feeling from the rear.

I am a past downhill and XC racer and with this setup I simply can not find a flaw with this bike. I still like to time myself and have a test loop that many people would call just plain nasty as it has so many rocks. With this bike I beat my personal best time set 2 years ago set using a bike with 140mm travel.

Aside from the minor suspension adjustments, I did swap the tires out to be Continental 2.3 Cross King and 2.3 Mountain King to lower rolling resistance and weight. Continental has revised their sidewall construction and these tire are now also real 2.3's in width. Ready to ride with a water bottle holder and pedals the bike weighed in at 29.1 lbs

My last two Trances bought in 2014 and 2016 were 27.5's. With my successful 2018 Anthem 29 purchase and now the 2019 Trance 29 I don't see buying another 27.5 in the future.

Giant said the testing they did with DVO was used to specify to Fox what they wanted in terms of internal suspension settings (guess shim stacks, valving and whatever else is inside). Something is going on here because the Fox suspension feels better than any other Fox I have owned including their Elite series. Of course some of it is due to the bike geometry and other factors relating to the bike as a whole. But whatever the reasons the entire package just works really well and I look forward to riding the bike much more.

In closing the Trance 29 Advanced 2 has a fun ride which easily surpasses all of the trail bikes I have owned over the past 19 years. Of course the Advanced 0 and 1 versions should work even better but the 2 is still an awesome bike to ride offering good value.

I spend a great deal of time researching products on the Internet and try to do my share and give back as well. Very happy with the Trance 29 2 and I hope the info helps out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryBee View Post
    I bought a Trance 29 Advanced 2 and thought to write about it in order to add info to this already helpful thread. My main concern with the Trance 2 was the suspension would be very much substandard to the Trance 0 that many magazines have reviewed, plus I have seen the odd negative comment on the 2

Upon receiving the bike I set the suspension up according to the Fox instructions then went out with my Shockwiz set on playful to do some measurements and adjustments. In two rides and with some minor adjustments the fork scored 100% and the shock 96%. The results are below.

Name:	Fork2.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	1222074

Name:	Shock2.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	1222075

I have had the Shockwiz on a bunch of bikes and its nice to hit those scores with hardly any work. Below is the setup I settled on and I weigh 153 lbs including gear.

Fork

Added one volume spacer for a total of 2
    63 psi (33 mm, 25% sag)
    10 clicks rebound (from fully closed with the first click being one)

Fork Notes:

The fork has a sticker with recommend pressure of 70 psi for my weight but it seems to give up some small bump compliance. 63 psi felt much better.

I added one volume spacer so the fork would not bottom out. It uses all 130mm travel with the extra spacer.

Fox recommended rebound is 10 or 11 and for me 10 worked best.

Shock

153 psi (11mm, 25% sag)
    7 clicks rebound (from fully closed with the first click being one).

Shock Notes: Fox recommended rebound is 8 or 9 but I needed to use 7 to avoid a bouncing type feeling from the rear.

I am a past downhill and XC racer and with this setup I simply can not find a flaw with this bike. I still like to time myself and have a test loop that many people would call just plain nasty as it has so many rocks. With this bike I beat my personal best time set 2 years ago set using a bike with 140mm travel.

Aside from the minor suspension adjustments, I did swap the tires out to be Continental 2.3 Cross King and 2.3 Mountain King to lower rolling resistance and weight. Continental has revised their sidewall construction and these tire are now also real 2.3's in width. Ready to ride with a water bottle holder and pedals the bike weighed in at 29.1 lbs

My last two Trances bought in 2014 and 2016 were 27.5's. With my successful 2018 Anthem 29 purchase and now the 2019 Trance 29 I don't see buying another 27.5 in the future.

Giant said the testing they did with DVO was used to specify to Fox what they wanted in terms of internal suspension settings (guess shim stacks, valving and whatever else is inside). Something is going on here because the Fox suspension feels better than any other Fox I have owned including their Elite series. Of course some of it is due to the bike geometry and other factors relating to the bike as a whole. But whatever the reasons the entire package just works really well and I look forward to riding the bike much more.

In closing the Trance 29 Advanced 2 has a fun ride which easily surpasses all of the trail bikes I have owned over the past 19 years. Of course the Advanced 0 and 1 versions should work even better but the 2 is still an awesome bike to ride offering good value.

I spend a great deal of time researching products on the Internet and try to do my share and give back as well. Very happy with the Trance 29 2 and I hope the info helps out.
    Great detailed review. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Is that the Pro 29 2, or the 29 2?
    As I recall, the regular alloy 29 2 was 32.2 lbs (14.6 Kg) with XT trail pedals which come in at .88 lb (400 gms).

I demo'd a 29.2 lb SB100 and based on riding the "lead alloy" 29 2, at 32.2 lbs, bought a Giant Trance Pro 29 1.

The hype is pretty accurate. If I were bigger, stronger, younger and needed to save money, I'd have been very happy on the alloy version. It really is a great bike-for-the-buck.
    Friend got one alloy T2 and that's what turned out for him. Could be that his was tubeless and without sealant, that could be it.

mtbr member
    Thanks to many of the people on this thread, I now have a really nice 29 Pro 1 build.

Got the medium Pro 1, replaced the crankset with a Next SL I already had, 2.4" Addix Nobby Nics front and back, 820mm Next SL handlebars (thought they'd be too wide, but kind of like them after one ride!) 50mm Race Face stem, as the cockpit seemed just a bit short. Staying with the SL saddle, for now. Got a deal on an I9 270 24 spoke wheelset and put the XO1 1295 cassette on it. XT Trail pedals. Rotor BB. (The BB and crankset came off my older Pivot)...the Pro 1 dub BB/Cranks went on the Pivot. Put on a 30 tooth Absolute Black oval ring.

Width of the NoNi's on the 27mm id I9 270 rims, 2.38" each.
    Width of the DHF on the stock 30mm id rims is 2.30 and the DHR II is 2.35".
    I'm sure they'll all stretch, some. I expect the NoNi's will end up at 2.4".

Total weight is 26.64, with pedals but I'll add some more sealant,as it's only 2 oz each.
    Weight without pedals is 25.76 lbs.

On my first ride, I blew away some climbing PR's.

On my 26.4 lb SB5c....47:28
    On a demo SB100.......45:50
    On this Giant..............43:16

On the whole route went from a PR of 1hr:17 to tonight's 1hr:13. The downhills are traffic dependent, of course.
    Went with recommended 11mm sag and had a little too much air in the fork for my 150 lbs. Will go with 58 psi next try. The downhill felt quiet, controlled and composed!
    Ran 18 psi up front and 20 on the back with the NoNi's and could probably drop a couple of psi per tire for these trail conditions.

Someone was asking about BB height. Looks like a bit over 13"....let's call it 13.1" on this build.
    Just for those who are curious, the SL saddle is 200 grams. And, surprisingly comfortable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Trance 29-resize-giant.jpg  

Last edited by MSU Alum; 10-24-2018 at 08:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

2019 Trance 29

So it’s finally built up. Just ordered the frame and did some part swapping.
    Color is amazing!

Frame - Tranced Advanced
    Fork - RS Pike RCT3 130mm
    Wheelset - Bontrager Line Elite 30
    Tires F - DHF 2.35, R - Minnion SS
    Full X01 Eagle 12sp drivetrain
    Brakes - Guide RSC
    Crank - Descendant carbon 170mm
    Pedals - Xtr trail
    Dropper - RaceFace 125mm
    Saddle -Volt Pro
    Stem - Syntace 35mm
    Handlebars - Spank vibracore 760mm

Will get some better pictures when I get it on the trail this weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by buggravy View Post
    NBD (and first forum post). Just getting back into mountain biking after a long time off, and tbh I was never an avid biker to begin with. Thought I wanted to get back into it more for some adventurous exercise, and picked up a Fathom 29 2 a month or so ago for cruising hills around my house. Great bike, but I didn't expect to quickly fall in love with mountain biking the way I have, and also didn't realize how much great terrain there is super close to my house. Only took a little exploring and riding to figure out I wanted to go in a different direction. Brought this home today.

GetFileAttachment , on Flickr
    Is it the Trance 29 2 model? What's the weight?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mirkomen77 View Post
    It appears to be the Trance 29 2 (not the Pro). It's the alloy version. I demo'd it in a medium and it was 31.3 lbs without pedals. Don't let the weight scare you, though. That bike climbed faster than my Mega-million dollar SB5c at 26.4 lbs, and descended more confidently than the Yeti SB100 GX Comp build.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    As MSU Alum confirmed it is the T29 2, also in size medium, so the weight must be the same. I didn't weigh it when I bought it, and normally would offer to go weigh it just to confirm, but it's hanging upside down in my garage and I just had rotator cuff surgery, so it ain't moving for a bit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    It appears to be the Trance 29 2 (not the Pro). It's the alloy version. I demo'd it in a medium and it was 31.3 lbs without pedals. Don't let the weight scare you, though. That bike climbed faster than my Mega-million dollar SB5c at 26.4 lbs, and descended more confidently than the Yeti SB100 GX Comp build.
    Thanks. Some other user wrote it was 13.78kg without pedals. Anyway it is pretty in line with other brands models in the same price range (Fuel EX 7 2019 another one I am interested in, at 14.28kg without pedals)

Weight aside, I am concerned with the rear shock not being DVO as that is the basic model, and 115 instead of 130 travel of the Fuel.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Some other user wrote it was 13.78kg without pedals. Anyway it is pretty in line with other brands models in the same price range (Fuel EX 7 2019 another one I am interested in, at 14.28kg without pedals)

Weight aside, I am concerned with the rear shock not being DVO as that is the basic model, and 115 instead of 130 travel of the Fuel.
    I am not going to say anything bad about the DVO. I was interested, and then for various reasons, not, but that's me. I ended up with the DPX2 which I think is very good, but I was very impressed with the base shock/rear suspension. You just need to ride them and see what works best for you. I hit Moab regularly, and 115 rear on this should work for me.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 10-31-2018 at 08:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    The Fox DPX2 is just as good as the DVO! That is from someone that has a lot of ride time on both. For my lightweight body, I actually get along better with the Fox. Heck, I even like that green on the Pro 1 better than mine :-(

I have a 2019 Pro 29 0 with DVO for sale on pinkbike.com

I am not going to say anything bad about the DVO. I was interested, and then for various reasons, not, but that's me. I ended up with the DPX2 which I think is very good, but I was very impressed with the base shock/rear suspension. You just need to ride them and see what works best for you. I hit Moab regularly, and 115 rear on this should be for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    LOVE that green!

What crank length are you using?

Thanks to many of the people on this thread, I now have a really nice 29 Pro 1 build.

Got the medium Pro 1, replaced the crankset with a Next SL I already had, 2.4" Addix Nobby Nics front and back, 820mm Next SL handlebars (thought they'd be too wide, but kind of like them after one ride!) 50mm Race Face stem, as the cockpit seemed just a bit short. Staying with the SL saddle, for now. Got a deal on an I9 270 24 spoke wheelset and put the XO1 1295 cassette on it. XT Trail pedals. Rotor BB. (The BB and crankset came off my older Pivot)...the Pro 1 dub BB/Cranks went on the Pivot. Put on a 30 tooth Absolute Black oval ring.

Width of the NoNi's on the 27mm id I9 270 rims, 2.38" each.
    Width of the DHF on the stock 30mm id rims is 2.30 and the DHR II is 2.35".
    I'm sure they'll all stretch, some. I expect the NoNi's will end up at 2.4".

Total weight is 26.64, with pedals but I'll add some more sealant,as it's only 2 oz each.
    Weight without pedals is 25.76 lbs.

On my first ride, I blew away some climbing PR's.

On my 26.4 lb SB5c....47:28
    On a demo SB100.......45:50
    On this Giant..............43:16

On the whole route went from a PR of 1hr:17 to tonight's 1hr:13. The downhills are traffic dependent, of course.
    Went with recommended 11mm sag and had a little too much air in the fork for my 150 lbs. Will go with 58 psi next try. The downhill felt quiet, controlled and composed!
    Ran 18 psi up front and 20 on the back with the NoNi's and could probably drop a couple of psi per tire for these trail conditions.

Someone was asking about BB height. Looks like a bit over 13"....let's call it 13.1" on this build.
    Just for those who are curious, the SL saddle is 200 grams. And, surprisingly comfortable.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowmenace View Post
    So it’s finally built up. Just ordered the frame and did some part swapping.
    Color is amazing!

Frame - Tranced Advanced
    Fork - RS Pike RCT3 130mm
    Wheelset - Bontrager Line Elite 30
    Tires F - DHF 2.35, R - Minnion SS
    Full X01 Eagle 12sp drivetrain
    Brakes - Guide RSC
    Crank - Descendant carbon 170mm
    Pedals - Xtr trail
    Dropper - RaceFace 125mm
    Saddle -Volt Pro
    Stem - Syntace 35mm
    Handlebars - Spank vibracore 760mm

Will get some better pictures when I get it on the trail this weekend.

Nice.

I just picked up a frame and am working on building it up.

What offset does your Pike have?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Nice.

I just picked up a frame and am working on building it up.

What offset does your Pike have?
    51mm. Just got the dvo sapphire to match yesterday with the 44 offset. Will have a report this weekend on the difference.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast