2019 Trance 29 - Page 9- Mtbr.com
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Results 1,601 to 1,609 of 1609

Thread: 2019 Trance 29

Keep on Rockin...
    nvmd

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Its not a pad material issue, the noise is from the pads knocking around in the caliper. I removed the pads and opened up the pad spring metal tab and the loose pads are better now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Doesn't the Trance 29 come with 180 front and back? My Pro 1 did.
    whoops, you're right, my bad. 180mm rotors. They just look like 160mm's next to my GF's Liv Intrigue E+ with huge rotors.

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    So I have an update on my latest suspension upgrade which was a Diaz Suspension Designs Runt for my Fox 34 Rhythm. I was going to increase the travel to 140mm as well but decided against it for a number of reasons.

I wish I have had a chance to ride a top level fork such as a Pike Ultimate or Fox 34 Factory for comparison but the increase in performance for me was amazing. I normally run my fork at 60psi with the single default token installed. The Runt makes the Air spring a 2 chamber arrangement and the 40 psi I now run in the low chamber gives it really good sensitivity with proper midstroke support from the 75psi I run in the high chamber.

It's pretty much made the fork perform way better in all situations.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DANIEL42 View Post
    So I have an update on my latest suspension upgrade which was a Diaz Suspension Designs Runt for my Fox 34 Rhythm. I was going to increase the travel to 140mm as well but decided against it for a number of reasons.

I wish I have had a chance to ride a top level fork such as a Pike Ultimate or Fox 34 Factory for comparison but the increase in performance for me was amazing. I normally run my fork at 60psi with the single default token installed. The Runt makes the Air spring a 2 chamber arrangement and the 40 psi I now run in the low chamber gives it really good sensitivity with proper midstroke support from the 75psi I run in the high chamber.

It's pretty much made the fork perform way better in all situations.
    I can provide some context for you. The 34 Factory (fit4) wasn't a huge upgrade over the 34 rhythm in my opinion. In contrast, the pike ultimate is one hell of a fork and blows any version of the 34 out of the water, especially with the new 2021 air spring. The 34 factory fit4 is a smidge better and lets you get closer to what I would consider ideal, but it's still not perfect and the 34 flexes a bit too much for my 175lb weight and riding style. I've heard the 34 grip 2 damper fixes most of this shortcoming in damping, but the chassis flex is still there for aggressive riders.

That being said, the 34 is a great fork. The shortcoming of the 34 rhythm is that it's a bit of a struggle to get the right support from the air spring matched up with the right amount of HSC/LSC compression. I find that I either need to run the air spring a bit too firm in order to lighten the compression a smidge, or I need to run the air spring a bit too soft, and compensate with compression. It's not a huge amount off of where I want it, and the overall impact puts the fork maybe 10-15% off of what I would consider optimum. Said another way, I don't really start notcing the shortcomings of the rhythm until so much is going on and I'm riding so hard, that it starts to become difficult really determine what component is causing the shortcoming.

So if you're happy with the air tuning that the runt is getting you, and you're able to get the air spring and compression adjuster in a spot that makes it good for you, be confident that you have a good product for your usage.

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Thanks for your feedback about your fork experiences.

Hopefully it gives other people wanting more performance from their Fox 34 Rhythm a cheaper upgrade option.

Although I am a light rider, the reports of the 34s flexing was the reason I did not increase the travel. I am riding my trance where having an All Mountain/Enduro classed bike would be ideal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    Fwiw, I have a XD driver freehub body for the Giant TRX wheelsets if anyone wants it. I'll let it go for substantially less then MSRP. This will allow those of you with trance 29's that came with NX and SX eagle to run GX eagle and above and Sram 11 speed.

I converted my TRX wheelset to the dt swiss star ratchet system as MarinCRO explained. Not an overly cheap process, but far less expensive then a new hub in back.

I have to come back to the topic again.
    @minimusprime: did you upgrade from pawl to ratchet?

I have a TRX wheelset on a Giant Trance 29 Advance Pro 1 2019 with SRAM XD. I think it's a DT Swiss 370 hub.

Is it possible to switch from Pawl to ratchet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daruss View Post
    I have to come back to the topic again.
    @minimusprime: did you upgrade from pawl to ratchet?

I have a TRX wheelset on a Giant Trance 29 Advance Pro 1 2019 with SRAM XD. I think it's a DT Swiss 370 hub.

Is it possible to switch from Pawl to ratchet?
    Yes it is. I have converted mine.

The only gotcha is that the giant TRX hub shell has the seal for the ratchet system attached to the xd/hg free hub driver and not the hub shell like a standard 240/350. The impact to those of us doing the conversion is that the seal sorta just sits in the channel on the free/hub body and and doesn't attach positively to either the hub or hte free hub. In application, this hasn't been a problem for me.

The hub is a bit louder then a normal star ratchet, especially so in the bike stand. Once coasting down the trail it's not significantly louder then a normal 350/240, but it does sound different.

Overall, I don't see many negatives to this, other then the fact that you have to do a bit more often cleaning/re-greasing then you otherwise would on a normal 350. It is not however, cheap. Because of my affiliation with my LBS, I pay cost for things... It still was not cheap to do.

mtbr member
    I've got a rs zeb on order for my megatower, which means I'm moving my 36 grip 2 to my trance 29. I'm currently making my own custom 130mm air shaft for it.

Related news, if anyone is interested in a 130mm 44 offset, 2020 fox 34 factory with a luftkappe installed and a fresh lower leg service performed, and about 300 miles on it, let me know.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789