2019 Trance 29 - Page 7- Mtbr.com
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 1,201 to 1,384 of 1384

Thread: 2019 Trance 29

Big B's Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I'm going to throw something out there I was hesitant about before. There were a lot of comments about rebound damping on the DPX2 maybe being a bit light for heavier guys running higher air pressure. I thought, maybe I'm just strange and like my rebound a little faster than most people. But apparently that's not the case. I'm running 300PSI in the shock, and had the opportunity to mess with a ShockWiz. The only recommendation it made was....speed up my rebound more. The ShockWiz was set for balanced tuning. I thought I'd throw it out there because, I, like others, thought it might be a bit silly of Giant and Fox to ship these bikes with a tune that wasn't going to work for larger riders on an XL frame, but it seems the electronics think the factory tune works for high pressures.
    your'e running 300psi??? wow I thought I was getting up there at 280, and Im 5 pounds heavier than you, what rebound setting are you running -4, -5?
    I dig dirt!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    Smoking price on the same shock I have on my bike. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-FOX-Fa...EAAOSwHuRdgpQZ

FWIW, that's a chunk under dealer cost.
    I haven't followed every bit of the thread, but will the 45mm shock will increase the rear travel to 120 and still clear the rear triangle at the seat tube on a Large?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
    I haven't followed every bit of the thread, but will the 45mm shock will increase the rear travel to 120 and still clear the rear triangle at the seat tube on a Large?
    Someone earlier said they did it with a large and had "plenty of clearance", but you might want to find that post and contact him to get a measurement. I think anything less than 6mm would be risky.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaFred View Post
    your'e running 300psi??? wow I thought I was getting up there at 280, and Im 5 pounds heavier than you, what rebound setting are you running -4, -5?
    Yep. I haven't actually counted where my rebound is yet. I'm still riding and tuning based on feedback from the shockwiz. It does like the 300 psi air pressure though, but still thinks my rebound is too slow, and indicates some packing problems on the rear end. I'll try and post what what I end up with setting wise when I get it tuned and figured out. I can tell you I'm about 20 seconds faster over a 3 mile loop with the air pressure up and the rebound faster. Mind you, lots of pump rollers on this loop, so a stiffer rear end being faster makes those more efficient, doesn't really surprise me to be a lot faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iyamdman View Post
    The Stack for the Giant and Evol tune is the same : Medium/Medium, but I needed a more progressive compression so they added the next level up volume spacer.
    Glad you like the shock, looks trick on the bike. One clarification... It's not the same tune entirely. The Evil dpx2 has a digressive medium rebound tune. This means that, compared to the giant factory shock, at the same rebound setting, the shock will rebound slower in the first 20-30% of it's travel. Rebound from deep stroke impacts will be largely the same, although likely 10% slower then the RLA019 tune (linear rebound) with regards to deep stroke (high speed) rebound as well. It's difficult to impossible to make changes to low speed without impacting high speed on these air shocks.

The change to the oil is interesting. Do you know what brand of oil they used by chance? Comparing suspension fluids is about the CST, it's difficult to compare across brands. Either way, it's safe to assume it is genuinely thicker which would increase the damping on both compression and rebound across the board.

Mind telling me what your weight and shock settings are?

Yep. I haven't actually counted where my rebound is yet. I'm still riding and tuning based on feedback from the shockwiz. It does like the 300 psi air pressure though, but still thinks my rebound is too slow, and indicates some packing problems on the rear end. I'll try and post what what I end up with setting wise when I get it tuned and figured out. I can tell you I'm about 20 seconds faster over a 3 mile loop with the air pressure up and the rebound faster. Mind you, lots of pump rollers on this loop, so a stiffer rear end being faster makes those more efficient, doesn't really surprise me to be a lot faster.
    Could you remind me what shock you have and what compression/rebound setting you are typically running? I'm only running about 225psi in my dpx2, but I like you, find that I'm always running less rebound damping then I'd expect.

The one other thing I have noticed is that there seems to be a delicate balance between my compression settings and my rebound. Meaning that if I try to add more compression damping by either flipping the climb lever to medium, or by adding a few clicks of LSC, I start feeling like my rebound is off and I've been sent hunting for a new setting while on the trail.

It seems like this bike has a specific spot it the travel it likes to be around otherwise the back end can feel like it's hanging up. Sometimes I'll get thrown off and think it's rebound, but in reality, it's compression that's off. That's how I sorta discovered that on the stock dps, I preferred to ride it in medium. On the DPX2, I generally leave it in open and use the open mode adjust lsc to dial in the amount i want.

If you're thinking of long shocking the bike then I'd suggest searching for my posts in this thread. I have an XL, it fits but the clearance seems to diminish as you go to smaller frames.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If you're thinking of long shocking the bike then I'd suggest searching for my posts in this thread. I have an XL, it fits but the clearance seems to diminish as you go to smaller frames.
    yes, that would be the plan. I'd like to get the extra 5mm of travel if it will clear.

WillWorkForTrail

Could you remind me what shock you have and what compression/rebound setting you are typically running? I'm only running about 225psi in my dpx2, but I like you, find that I'm always running less rebound damping then I'd expect.
    DPX2 shock, I run it wide open the majority of the time (long singletrack climbs I'll use the climb mode, locked it out once on a road climb) and I'll only be able to tell you what settings I typically run after I count clicks for where I ended up, which I might get to do today, because I know how many clicks from where I had been I ended up. If that makes sense. In other words, when I was tuning using the seat of my pants, I wasn't counting how many clicks I was from one side or the other of open or closed.

mtbr member
    I believe that's a Performance model. Black, with compression adjust. The Factory DPX2 has the Kashima coating.

mtbr member
    Double post.

WillWorkForTrail
    Looks like I've landed at 6 clicks from full open rebound on the shock with 300 PSI.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Has anybody proven settings for the shock and fork suspension for a rider with about 92kg or 203lbs (with gear)?
    Im riding the Trance 29 2 alloy model.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    What are your guys thoughts on this leftover 2019 Giant Trance 2? Is there a way to upgrade the internals of the fork? What parts would you think to upgrade over time?
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bid...984284278.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kally View Post
    Has anybody proven settings for the shock and fork suspension for a rider with about 92kg or 203lbs (with gear)?
    Im riding the Trance 29 2 alloy model.
    It also varies by riding style, personal preferences and terrain, so "proven settings" for someone else likely will be off for you. Start at the recommended settings and don't be hesitant to try experimenting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGenErik1 View Post
    What are your guys thoughts on this leftover 2019 Giant Trance 2? Is there a way to upgrade the internals of the fork? What parts would you think to upgrade over time?
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bid...984284278.html
    That fork will accept a FIT4 damper, but the Grip damper is very good. Rest of the bike can be done as normal

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I am looking at the Giant Trance line. I am very close to pulling the trigger on a 2019 Trance 2 27.5, but it is a 7 hour round trip for it. It would be brand new, pretty decently discounted.

My local shop has a 2019 Trance 2 29er in stock, and it has two demos on it totaling around 1 hour of ride time, on easy local trails. I was looking for the higher suspension travel of the 27.5, and my friends have told me the 27.5 is more nimble in the tight New England woods, but the 29er is available for $800 off and carries the lifetime warranty since it was a dealer demo bike. I want to go ride both the 27.5 and 29er to see what feels best for me, but I wanted to hear your opinions.

Also is it worth the price jump for a brand new 2020 bikes to get the 12 speed gearing?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Bob View Post
    That fork will accept a FIT4 damper, but the Grip damper is very good. Rest of the bike can be done as normal
    Thanks for the info, I feel like its a good platform to build on without breaking the bank initially.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGenErik1 View Post
    Thanks for the info, I feel like its a good platform to build on without breaking the bank initially.
    I based my purchase on a Pro 29 1 on riding this bike in a demo. I would do nothing at all for a while, at least. Just ride it. Possibly replace the rear tire with something that rolls better, but only if YOU think it's necessary.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    What do you think of this wheelset https://www.actionsports.de/en/dt-sw...8e2e3aedc2f23f ? Does anyone know the circles? Or staying on the 30mm channel is it better to install DT Swiss XM481 rims?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio0624 View Post
    What do you think of this wheelset https://www.actionsports.de/en/dt-sw...8e2e3aedc2f23f ? Does anyone know the circles? Or staying on the 30mm channel is it better to install DT Swiss XM481 rims?
    Looks like a nice wheelset.

"Does anyone know the circles? Or staying on the 30mm channel is it better to install DT Swiss XM481 rims?"

If that is code for, "Is anyone familiar with these rims"? Not me.
    And "staying with 30mm inner width" is it better to install XM481 rims? I'd say no. Just get these.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Hey folks,
    I really love my Trance 29 2, but I got one issue:
    I'm feeling really uncomfortable on flow trails where I got some speed and when there is not a lot of weight on my front wheel.
    My front wheel is slipping away quite often in this case.
    On technical trails, where I got a lot of weight on my front wheel, I do not have this issue.
    Does anybody has the same issue know how to solve this problem?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Obvious answer. Weight the front more even at higher speed. Pretty much the same as most modern bikes that you're trying to ride fast. Gotta weight the front.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

JT1
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Hey folks,
    I'm feeling really uncomfortable on flow trails where I got some speed and when there is not a lot of weight on my front wheel.
    On technical trails, where I got a lot of weight on my front wheel, I do not have this issue.
    In addition to shifting your body position, you could try wider bars or/and a longer stem, both of which would shift your weight forward.

Keep on Rockin...
    Hey folks,
    What was your last bike?

Is this an issue specific to this Trance?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hey folks,
    I feel like this is an issue of ‘sizing up’ that is not talked about...Too much reach to properly weight the front in general trail conditions. But easily solved with more body english.

Other non-technique options without changing parts:
    - Lower stem stack height
    - Soften the fork LSC a click,
    - Decrease shock sag %
    - Adjust tire pressure

I prefer a low stack height, so I drop stem 10-15mm, use low rise (10mm) bars and run 0-1 clicks LSC keeping the front plush and free to dive a little for ‘everyday’ riding.
    And then just dial in a 2-3 clicks LSC for ‘racing’ when speeds are higher and I need more support from the fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluman8 View Post
    I feel like this is an issue of ‘sizing up’ that is not talked about...Too much reach to properly weight the front in general trail conditions. But easily solved with more body english.

- Decrease shock sag %
    - Adjust tire pressure

I prefer a low stack height, so I drop stem 10-15mm, use low rise (10mm) bars and run 0-1 clicks LSC keeping the front plush and free to dive a little for ‘everyday’ riding.
    And then just dial in a 2-3 clicks LSC for ‘racing’ when speeds are higher and I need more support from the fork.
    yes, yes, yes and more yes to this post. I was going to come in here and likely type way too many words to respond to kally's post but this one nails it.

Move your stem down in 5mm increments until you find a balance. You'll notice that most EWS and DH racers are constantly moving their stem up and down for the particular track they are racing. We as hobbiests won't generally do this and we'll find a happy medium and just set and forget.

I have been able to find a happy medium stem position and like you, I had to end up dropping my stem by 10mm from my initial starting point on the trance in order to ensure I had my weight on the front end.

Now, like Bluman8 mentions, I am able to just dial in a bit of compression damping to either end of the bike if I am going to be riding flow trails or if the situation dictates it.

mtbr member
    Using various mechanical means of "weighting the front" is a bit like getting weight onto the front of your skis. You could mount your bindings 6" forward, or you could just press your shins against your boots.

Don't get me wrong. Build your bike out however you want, and I'm not suggesting that these options - lower stack and such - are a bad thing, but I think it misses the point that you can control your body position to do these things while keeping the advantages of a more neutral "body position" build.

One of the results of using a dropper early on was that, if you get lazy and put your weight on the seat while cornering, you're going to take the weight off the front. The key is, don't get lazy. Put the weight where you want it without building the bike around positioning your body for you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Using various mechanical means of "weighting the front" is a bit like getting weight onto the front of your skis. You could mount your bindings 6" forward, or you could just press your shins against your boots.

Don't get me wrong. Build your bike out however you want, and I'm not suggesting that these options - lower stack and such - are a bad thing, but I think it misses the point that you can control your body position to do these things while keeping the advantages of a more neutral "body position" build.

One of the results of using a dropper early on was that, if you get lazy and put your weight on the seat while cornering, you're going to take the weight off the front. The key is, don't get lazy. Put the weight where you want it without building the bike around positioning your body for you.
    Disagree. But agree with always improving your technique, the rewards are always far greater. It’s about optimisation of the variables (including someone’s time to learn better technique)....

- Everythjng is on a spectrum and eventually even better technique is compensating for a “non-optimal” setup or geo.... I.e. anyone still riding a pre-modern geo bike.

- The key is to find the optimal setup (bike fit) that gives you the neutral body position that suits you, your tastes, riding style, deficiencies and injuries/disfunctions.

Everyones bike absolutely should be built around positioning their body for them.... that is exactly the point buying the right size bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Longer stem.

- Decrease shock sag %
    - Adjust tire pressure

I was told because of my short inseam, to get a small frame. I ended sizing up and getting a medium. Even sizing up, it was a little tall, but the reach was too short and my body position was a little too far back.

I got a $35 RaceFace Aeffect 35 stem - 60mm long. The stock stem on a medium frame was 45mm.

I got this stem because it was cheep, strong (forged) and not too heavy. It was cheep enough that if it was the length ended up being wrong, it was not a big loss.

The extra 15mm of length really helped the bike for me. Particularity on a steep slow climbs, it really helps keep the front of the bike on the ground and made the steering less twitchy. On the downhill runs, it put a little more weigh on the front and made it a little more stable for me.
    Last edited by Iyamdman; 10-11-2019 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Spelink

WillWorkForTrail
    This won't surprise anyone on this thread that owns a Trance 29, but I just wanted to drop in a post it. I rode some trails I know really well yesterday, but trails I don't ride very often anymore simply because they tend to be so crowded. It was the first time I've ridden there since I got the Trance. The Trance made those trails so much more fun than my old Anthem - mostly because I could play on all the stuff that puts you in the air and not have to worry about the frame breaking. So much fun...

mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Tool Kit for Trance Advanced Pro 29 - 2

I put together a Tool Kit specifically for my Trance Advanced Pro 29 -2.

You can find it here:

https://forums.mtbr.com/tooltime/too...r-1118271.html

2019 Trance 29-img_0591-101-j-s.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    How high is the bottom bracket? I would want to run a works angled headset to slacken the fork and steepen the seat tube angle. Looks like it would be win/win for this bike. But what about the bottom bracket height? Is it high enough for this experiment?

mtbr member
    Why do you want to change the angles on the bike? Giant got it pretty spot on in my experience. Having said that, it is quite low to begin with. I had to fit 170mm cranks to counter the pedal strikes I was getting, so lowering it further may not be a great idea

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    How high is the bottom bracket? I would want to run a works angled headset to slacken the fork and steepen the seat tube angle. Looks like it would be win/win for this bike. But what about the bottom bracket height? Is it high enough for this experiment?
    I'd say you'd want to run shorter cranks than you think if you lower the BB too much. Maybe you could get around that if you put a longer fork on with a slightly less angled headset to achieve the same angle without dropping the BB so much, but that's going to take away the steeper seat angle some as well.

What geo numbers are you trying to achieve? Is there a bike out there that has numbers like what you want? Frequently, if there is, it's better to go on and get that bike rather than trying to make another bike hit those numbers by compromising one place or another. I have to be honest - if you haven't ridden this bike yet, maybe just get a demo and try it. This bike really is very, very good, maybe the best bike below 130mm rear travel I've ever ridden.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've owned several Works headsets on various bikes. How exactly is it going to steepen the seat angle?

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I've owned several Works headsets on various bikes. How exactly is it going to steepen the seat angle?
    Had to reread his comment aswell. Seems "counterintuitive", no?
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Marin Hawk Hill 2.5

mtbr member
    It does steepen because as you make the front end slacker, you make tip the bike forwards, lowering the front end, BB and making STA steeper.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    ~ 335 mm.

Personally I don’t feel the T29 has a low BB. The 26” Anthem X is 320 mm, so you should be all good from BB height prospective.

The more interesting questions that I’m keen to know is what angleset fits Giant’s overdrive headtube and what angle can you get?

mtbr member
    ~ 335 mm.

Personally I don’t feel the T29 has a low BB. The 26” Anthem X is 320 mm, so you should be all good from BB height prospective.

The more interesting questions that I’m keen to know is what angleset fits Giant’s overdrive headtube and what angle can you get?
    Giant's website is down, which is annoying. It seems to be down a lot lately. Pretty nuts for such a large company.

Anyway, the trance 29 uses (i believe, don't quote me on the nomenclature here, website is down so i can't verify the marketing lingo) overdrive 2. Overdrive one is the stupid standard they made for a short period of time that was 1-1/4" - 1-1/2" tapered. OD2 is a standard 1-1/8" to 1-1/2 tapered steer tube.

Long story short, you can just use any normal headset that is appropriate for this frame (zero stack, can't remember the ID/OD, but it's the most standard headset these days that's not internal).

Regarding the angle set, I have also considered it. It would have a slight hit to the BB height and a slight steepening of the seat tube angle. W/e it does to the STA is going to be so minute it won't matter imo. If you end up doing it, please let me know what you think. It's been one of the questions in the back of my head. I do love how the trance has super precise steering and as a result, feels like a trail scalpel. However, sometimes in high speed chunk, it can feel a bit frantic and part of me wonders if a -1 degree headset would calm it down slightly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Giant's website is down, which is annoying. It seems to be down a lot lately. Pretty nuts for such a large company.

Anyway, the trance 29 uses (i believe, don't quote me on the nomenclature here, website is down so i can't verify the marketing lingo) overdrive 2. Overdrive one is the stupid standard they made for a short period of time that was 1-1/4" - 1-1/2" tapered. OD2 is a standard 1-1/8" to 1-1/2 tapered steer tube.

Long story short, you can just use any normal headset that is appropriate for this frame (zero stack, can't remember the ID/OD, but it's the most standard headset these days that's not internal).

Regarding the angle set, I have also considered it. It would have a slight hit to the BB height and a slight steepening of the seat tube angle. W/e it does to the STA is going to be so minute it won't matter imo. If you end up doing it, please let me know what you think. It's been one of the questions in the back of my head. I do love how the trance has super precise steering and as a result, feels like a trail scalpel. However, sometimes in high speed chunk, it can feel a bit frantic and part of me wonders if a -1 degree headset would calm it down slightly.
    Other way around, OD2 is the stupid 1-1/2 and 1-1/4 size. They mostly use OD 1-1/2 & 1-1/8 size now. But I’m more interested the angleset for my old Reign.

I’m keen to keep my T29 “as designed” for now. But agree with you, imo the STA change would barely be noticable. Quick calc indicates headtube would drop 3-4mm for -1 HA change, so likely less than +0.5 STA change.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    2019 Trance 29-img_1534.jpg

After ordering it back in February - I finally have an XL Trance 29! Donor bike can also be seen in the photo, a L 2019 Trance 29 1 gave up almost all of its parts to the 2020 Trance Advanced 29 2, I've also added a Syncros front mud guard, a Mud Hugger front guard to the rear of the bike - clears beautifully without being cut down at all.

Just need to look at some frame protection as the paint on this is so pretty!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Willdat? View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1534.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	295.2 KB 
ID:	1287099

After ordering it back in February - I finally have an XL Trance 29! Donor bike can also be seen in the photo, a L 2019 Trance 29 1 gave up almost all of its parts to the 2020 Trance Advanced 29 2, I've also added a Syncros front mud guard, a Mud Hugger front guard to the rear of the bike - clears beautifully without being cut down at all.

Yeah, that's a really nice color!

JT1
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1534.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	295.2 KB 
ID:	1287099

Gorgeous bike, congratulations!

My 2019 Trance Advanced 29 Pro 2 came in a similar color and, because it served as a demo bike before it found its way to my home, came with significant frame protection. Not sure of the manufacturer, but clear in most spots and some pattern in other spots.

2019 Trance 29-2019-giant-trance-advanced-pro-2.jpg

mid-apocalypse
    My Advanced 1 arrives in 4 days. About to pee my pants in anticipation. I'll report back when I receive it if I actually peed myself, and bike weight.

Hoping that these old XX cranks I have kicking around fit without issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TooMuchCoffeeMan View Post
    Hoping that these old XX cranks I have kicking around fit without issue.
    Are they DUB?

If not, you'd need a new BB.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 10-23-2019 at 06:22 AM.

mtbr member
    It's even better if they're not haha
    Just get the aluminium machined thread in BB from Aliexpress and you're golden.
    It takes either Shimano 24mm spindle or GXP (with a shim) and you can just replace 6805-2RS bearings when it's time.

Something like this:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3302...chweb201603_52

The cost is half of the SRAM or Shimano pressfit BB and new bearings are easily replacable and cheap, there's less chance of creaking and you don't need any BB press or extractor, just screw it together using regular BB wrench.

DUB is POS with proprietary and too small bearings.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    It's even better if they're not haha
    Just get the aluminium machined thread in BB from Aliexpress and you're golden.
    It takes either Shimano 24mm spindle or GXP (with a shim) and you can just replace 6805-2RS bearings when it's time.

Something like this:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3302...chweb201603_52

The cost is half of the SRAM or Shimano pressfit BB and new bearings are easily replacable and cheap, there's less chance of creaking and you don't need any BB press or extractor, just screw it together using regular BB wrench.

DUB is POS with proprietary and too small bearings.

Hmmm. That looks interesting.

So, assuming you've got experience with that BB, does the tightening/torquing of each sleeve/cup hold it tight together? Do you thread lock it?

I've had zero issues with my Shimano cranks and PF BBs, but at times wanted to try a SRAM BB but stayed away due to the whole bearing issue.

I suppose it does not work the the newer SRAM DUB?

Who's got legs that strong where a 24mm spindle isn't enough?

mtbr member
    Ive used a wheels mfg thread together pressfit to GXP conversion on another frame. I am not a huge fan of the thread together conversions in general. They absolutely do come loose over time and must be checked, if you forget to check them, they can oval out your pressfit frame and trash the frame. That almost happened to me.

I honestly have zero issues with dub. I was not a PF30 or bb30 fan at all, however dub has proven to be reliable, maintenance free and a moderate to significant performance improvement over GXP (weight) without a cost hit.

mtbr member
    Ah yes!

"Crankset :For shinnano 24/24mm crankset"

I love Shinano. When I was in NYC, I got a genuine Bolex watch for $10!

mid-apocalypse
    Picked up my 2020 Advanced 1 after work yesterday and took it straight up for a quick ride. 28.50lbs with Stan's in the tires and all of the reflectors and shit still attached for a size large. Sorry had 5 minutes to prep for the ride. Stan's is 50g a scoop... Probably just north of 28 without the crap on it, I'll reweigh later at some point.

Advertised standover is accurate at a relatively tall 30". Pleasantly surprised at the fairly tall by modern standards bottom bracket height.

Contact saddles seem to have gotten a bit more tolerable over the years. 210g, super light. Same as a WTB Volt titanium.
    Bar could still look more like a Raceface, but even with slightly less sweep than ideal it's pretty much fine.
    Even the ribbed grips are pretty good.
    Color is very black. Thing looks like a shadow sitting there. The little green highlight on top tube is a deep green metallic.

I'm used to a full blown enduro rig (Reign) so pedalling was mind blowing. I've never gotten to the top of the trail feeling so fresh and pain free, on any bike. It was a miracle of baby Jesus.

Descending was a hoot. My Reign is like an F1, it gets the times on the clock, but it's weight forward full gas all the time. Slack and long will do that.

The Trance is very neutral in comparison, you can steer it just fine from anywhere. Very quick to change direction, very predictable and immediately just plain easy and fun to ride. More like a sports car than an F1.

mid-apocalypse
    Sitting at 29.29lbs as is with Mallet DH pedals (480g boat anchors), tire sealant, water bottle cage and pump mount. So...if a pound is 454g... Advanced 1 should be ~28lbs flat stock.

I've got some Rekons laying around here which will drop another 1/2 pound. I've also got some old XX cranks which is good for another 1/2- 3/4lb. Carbon bar is somewhere in the future too, another 1/4lb. That'll put total weight in the 27's.

I'd imagine the average build for an Advanced 1 after changing out to preferred bar and stem and with more reasonable pedal choice will be in the 28's.

Forgot to mention during the first ride impression the seat tube angle is definitely steep, contrary to what I'd seen in reviews. The new dropper design has a forward offset head which may be the cause. But plan accordingly if you're worried about your ETT (seated reach) being too short.

Also, the Level brakes are fine. They lack the swing link mechanical advantage so it's just brute force pulling on the levers. Feels like old school Hayes. But they stop fine. A strong hand full of brake is enough to endo. Consistent braking point, power level about as expected from Sram. I think I'm going to throw a 200mm rotor in the front and keep them.

Ride lots...
    Quote Originally Posted by kxfracer108 View Post
    I am looking at the Giant Trance line. I am very close to pulling the trigger on a 2019 Trance 2 27.5, but it is a 7 hour round trip for it. It would be brand new, pretty decently discounted.

My local shop has a 2019 Trance 2 29er in stock, and it has two demos on it totaling around 1 hour of ride time, on easy local trails. I was looking for the higher suspension travel of the 27.5, and my friends have told me the 27.5 is more nimble in the tight New England woods, but the 29er is available for $800 off and carries the lifetime warranty since it was a dealer demo bike. I want to go ride both the 27.5 and 29er to see what feels best for me, but I wanted to hear your opinions.

Also is it worth the price jump for a brand new 2020 bikes to get the 12 speed gearing?
    I didn't see a reply to this, so here's my opinion based on owning a 2019 Trance 29 2:

The 2019 Trance 29 2 has 12 speed gearing -- NX eagle. No need to go to a 2020 model for that.

While I have no experience with a 27.5 Trance, the 2019 29er version is no slouch. Don't be mislead by the seemingly low rear wheel travel of 115mm. I read several reviews before I got mine that the 29er "punches above its weight" and I can confirm that. It definitely feels like a 130/130 bike.
    Last edited by dsully575; 10-27-2019 at 12:11 PM. Reason: typos
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

mtbr member

2019 Giant Advanced 0 29er review --- 1 year

I wouldnt of taken the time to do this, except today was the second time my dvo sapphire developed a clunk on repatitive compression.

I got the bike in early November last year and have put on , close to 1500kms of rock filled xc trails and some smother xc stuff. For comparison i have a 2018 giant anthem adv 0 29er and a reign adv 0 27.5. I have to say, theres a part of me that loves the bike. But theres a bigger part of me that hates it with a passion. XL non dropper 170mm cranks 140 sapphire

Ill start with the good.. Brakes, Bars, XO 12 speed, change your chain as soon as it gets dirty or stretched. geometry other then ridiculously low bb height. Wheels, fabulous, one spoke is all i have had to replace.

Tires: i changed the minions to bontrager xr4's 2.4, saved a pound and are cheeper and better imo then the maxxis.

Dropper post, dont really use it where i ride. I had a carbon giant non slr and broke it, so i put a thomson non dropper/

The bad...... 3 dvo topaz2 rear shocks. first one was leaking bubbles from the negative chamber thingy. second one had no platform after about 300kms. The third and final is okayish. I weigh 210 suited up. I have to run 270 psi to get roughly 30% sag in the middle postioin and at times it just blows through the travel for no apparent reason. zero volume spacers. I am trying to get the 42.5 fox, but they are sold out in Canada. I have found a rs deluxe on pb and will be trying that.

Rear triangle, cracked near the chainring before the chainstay protector. no problem getting warranty

Front fork, had it raised by dvo canada to 140mm, to help raise the bb a bit, was working uniquely. I have had floats, lyrics, pikes, sc32, sids laufs and nothing has ever felt like the dvo. unfortuntly after about 4 months of riding it started developing a clunk in everything but the firmest 2 postions. lifting the front end to 140 did help the bb clearance a bit i think....

Bottom Bracket Clearance.... At the time i got this bike i was riding a sworks enduro 29er, think 2016 or 17 non swat box, non boost. So comparison for bb height and my actual skill and abilities will be with that. After setting up the trance i rode the same rocky xc course at Agreement Forest in Ontario just outside of Milton. Think XC boulder fields, not much elevation, soapy sweaty rocks with humidity, and countless rock gardens and chances for pedal strikes. With the sworks i would have 1 to 5 pedal strikes a ride, nothing enough to remember and usually my fault. With the trance set up stock with 175mm cranks and 130mm sapphire, pedal strikes were abundant with a literal sense of danger.

countless pedal strikes on the trance on trails i ride daily with the sworks. After a shock change and raising the front end 10mm and putting on a dumb ass dub xx1 170mm crank wiht oval 28t the rock strikes dropped 25 percent but were still overwhelming at times.

The rear shock by this time had been replaced again. loosing anywhere from 10 to 60 psi over 2 to 4 days, in both chambers. the piggy back chamber being so small and such a high volume iit s impossible to deal with, i pump up to about 260psi then let it out and check again. sometimes it drops to 220 , others it drops to 170, so i have no clue what im actually running it at.

Apparently, my new rear shock is the newer re=valved version, but at the recommended psi , just leaning my chest on the seat falls below the emblem. as of today the shock is pumped up to 270. the firm setting is basically full lockout. The middle setting stays high enough in its travel that pedals strikes are 10 percent worse then the sworks. rebound is two clicks from closed on the rear. make it s little pogostick like but at least im not killing myself with pedal strikes.

Today was the last smashed xt pedal on the camels back. I have ordered a trek fuel ex 9.9. lets hope its more capable than the giant.

I dont know how to post pics. There is some pics on the giant facebook group i have posted over the year under Steve Kn****ton.

If anyone is interested in the bike , its an xl adv pro 0 29er with xx1 170 crank and 140mm sapphire, 2 rear shocks and will be sold with brand new bontrager line 30;s as im keeping the giant carbon wheels. 4800 cdn. comes with extra set of alum bontrager xxx 29er xc wheels, 1350 grams, makes the bike a rocketship on xc race courses.

I hope this information helps. If you are a lighter rider , riding where a 12 inch bb height is okay, this would be a great bike, i love it for xc trails. the DVO is shit for 200 pound riders and i think the bb drop is too much for non flow trails imo

hope everything made sense....
    If I wanted to objectify a women I'd do it on my terms not theirs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    maynard---If you need less than 32T as you changed to on the Giant the Fuel EX will not take even a 30T w/o the chain rubbing the stay in several gears----I nixed the bike when I saw this in person and bought Pivot T429-----hard to understand this limitation

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Incoherent post for the most part.

What I got was the shock is crap and you had a bunch of pedal strikes. Think those two are related? Hmmmmm ...

I rode my XL Trance on some of the rockiest trails around in Phoenix. No pedal strike issues for me.

Good luck with the Fuel.

mid-apocalypse
    Bottom bracket on the Trance is 13 1/4" with modest 2.3 tires. 115mm at 25% sag and it makes for a fairly tall BB by today's standards.

Bottom bracket on that Reign 0 for instance is far from lowest on the market at 12 5/8" with beefy 2.4 tires. 160mm travel at 30% drops it quite a bit lower.
    Last edited by TooMuchCoffeeMan; 10-30-2019 at 09:11 PM.

mid-apocalypse
    Btw "If I wanted to objectify a women I'd do it on my terms not theirs" is a bizarre signature, Maynard. I hope you don't mean what it sounds like.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Occasional pedal strikes were an issue the first month or so with my Trance until I got used to the clearance compared to an older geometry 29. No issues now.

mtbr member

140mm fork on Trance advanced 1

I changed the airspring on my fork to 140mm recently.

Can't recommend it enough. All but eliminated pedal strikes and was the main reason for doing it but changing the fluids and relubing has made it a more supple fork (plus I left only 1 spacer in) and presumably adds more grip too.

The other big advantage is that it feels more stable at speed and the steering is only maginally heavier. No wheel flop or problems on tight switchbacks.

Also appears to have fixed my front wheel weighting issues and I am cornering faster without concern of front wheel washout. I had recently moved saddle forward, put on a 60mm stem (from 50mm (its a L)) so can't completely rule out some effect of these changes - but riding with these changes on the 130mm fork didn't really feel that different.

In the past I've noticed that I've been more confident with higher handlebars so maybe the 10mm increase has been enough for me to unconsciously weight the front wheel more - maybe. Previously I was using alot of body english to ensure the front wheel wouldn't wash out and was still getting some shift in the loose stuff (DHRII 2.4F, Rekon 2.4R) even when really concentrating on the front wheel. Not anymore.

So these changes appear to have fixed my biggest gripes with the bike - the need to 'ride' the front wheel and pedal strikes = goes downhill faster, corners faster, climbs tech faster.

Seriously thinking about removing the spacer to overstroke the shock.....
    Love isn't blind... its retarded.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by V-Tach View Post

Can't recommend it enough. All but eliminated pedal strikes and was the main reason for doing it but changing the fluids and relubing has made it a more supple fork (plus I left only 1 spacer in) and presumably adds more grip too.

The other big advantage is that it feels more stable at speed and the steering is only maginally heavier. No wheel flop or problems on tight switchbacks.

Also appears to have fixed my front wheel weighting issues and I am cornering faster without concern of front wheel washout. I had recently moved saddle forward, put on a 60mm stem (from 50mm (its a L)) so can't completely rule out some effect of these changes - but riding with these changes on the 130mm fork didn't really feel that different.

In the past I've noticed that I've been more confident with higher handlebars so maybe the 10mm increase has been enough for me to unconsciously weight the front wheel more - maybe. Previously I was using alot of body english to ensure the front wheel wouldn't wash out and was still getting some shift in the loose stuff (DHRII 2.4F, Rekon 2.4R) even when really concentrating on the front wheel. Not anymore.

So these changes appear to have fixed my biggest gripes with the bike - the need to 'ride' the front wheel and pedal strikes = goes downhill faster, corners faster, climbs tech faster.

For pedal strikes, if you run 30% sag, increasing fork length by 10mm is only going to translate into a little over 1/8th of an inch increase in BB height. You'd probably get more by putting 2.6" tires on. Also, a longer fork will take weight off the front.
    OTOH, you can't argue with success! Whatever it did, you like it more.

I took the spacers out of the fork right off the bat as a personal preference. It doesn't "overstroke" the fork, it just changes the progressivity of the travel.

mtbr member
    25% sag and 170mm cranks sorted out my pedal strike issues. But I must agree with V-Tach on the fork servicing. The foam rings in my fork were dry after 50 hours of use from new. Paired with an air can service and the bike is loads more supple. Going to a 0.6cm shock volume spacer also helped improve the ride quality on my Trance 1. Getting the bike setup right (bar height, stem height, pressures and suspension clicks) is key for this bike in my experience

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

trance 29 first ride

new toy keep on Giant bikes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Trance 29-img_3930.jpg  

2019 Trance 29-img_3924.jpg  

mtbr member
    I know. Some of those changes and effects seem counterintuitive. Maybe I should have just said 140mm travel change is good, no real downsides, experiment with the rest! Remember a little over an 1/8th of an inch is pretty close to 5mm which is the difference in crank size people often change to decrease pedal strike

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I know. Some of those changes and effects seem counterintuitive. Maybe I should have just said 140mm travel change is good, no real downsides, experiment with the rest! Remember a little over an 1/8th of an inch is pretty close to 5mm which is the difference in crank size people often change to decrease pedal strike
    Looking into the possibility of going to 140 on my Trance 2, but getting some conflicting info on whether the Fox Rhythm fork can go past 130 in 29er format. Mine is labeled "34 29/27.5+". Anyone have any first hand info?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Looking into the possibility of going to 140 on my Trance 2, but getting some conflicting info on whether the Fox Rhythm fork can go past 130 in 29er format. Mine is labeled "34 29/27.5+". Anyone have any first hand info?
    Got some time and called Fox. The newer Rhythm 34 can be extended to 140 and 150.

mtbr member
    Go for it and report back!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Anyone interested in a DVO Topaz 2 shock to fit their Trance 29?

I had one fitted to my Trance 29 2, I recently sold the bike (with the original Fox shock reinstalled).

The shock was fitted to the Trance about 6 months ago, but I also purchased a YT Capra 29er at around the same time. I ended up using the Capra about 90% of the time, so the shock hasn't had much use at all.

I'm in New Zealand but will ship it globally. I'm looking for $250NZD which is about $160USD. Shipping to the USA/EU would be approx $30USD I think but I'd need to confirm. Might be a bargain for someone, haven't seen many for sale on their own.

PM me if you are interested and I'll send you a link to the website I have it listed with pictures etc. Hopefully this is all within the forum rules - but there aren't many places where Trance 29 owners hang out!

mtbr member
    Dropped you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by PetrolHead209 View Post
    Anyone interested in a DVO Topaz 2 shock to fit their Trance 29?

I had one fitted to my Trance 29 2, I recently sold the bike (with the original Fox shock reinstalled).

The shock was fitted to the Trance about 6 months ago, but I also purchased a YT Capra 29er at around the same time. I ended up using the Capra about 90% of the time, so the shock hasn't had much use at all.

I'm in New Zealand but will ship it globally. I'm looking for $250NZD which is about $160USD. Shipping to the USA/EU would be approx $30USD I think but I'd need to confirm. Might be a bargain for someone, haven't seen many for sale on their own.

PM me if you are interested and I'll send you a link to the website I have it listed with pictures etc. Hopefully this is all within the forum rules - but there aren't many places where Trance 29 owners hang out!

mtbr member
    Few updates on my Trance

New saddle - (SQ Lab 611 Active) - excellent and even better for MTB than my 610 Active that I transfered to my city bike.

New brakes (SRAM Code RS), got an excellent deal on them, I think they're great upgrade over Guide T's.

mtbr member
    Those SQ Lab saddles are amazing. Zero pressure in the tender bits. Love mine.

I did a tyre swap in the week, went from a 2.35 Forekaster (back) and a 2.3 Minion DHF to a set of Rekons (2.4 rear and 2.6 front). They roll really well and the grip is also excellent. Running the front at 1.4 bar and it definitely filters out a lot of the noise coming off the trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Has anyone had a problem with the Giant Contact Switch dropper post? Often I have to get my hands on the remote lever register, but yesterday I could no longer block the saddle after lowering it. I had to completely invite the register nut to go home.

WillWorkForTrail
    Has anyone had a problem with the Giant Contact Switch dropper post? Often I have to get my hands on the remote lever register, but yesterday I could no longer block the saddle after lowering it. I had to completely invite the register nut to go home.
    I haven't had any problems. Sounds like you might have an issue with the cable though. Of course, even if it's a problem with the post, a new cartridge or parts for the Giant post are very inexpensive.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I am not sure what issues you are having, but my Giant Dropper was junk, so much so that I broke it twice and giant sent me a whole brand new one. The saddle would twist internally, not allowing the dropper to work. I was able to trade the brand new dropper in and get credit towards a fox transfer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Has anyone placed a longer travel dropper post on a Small Trance 29er?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Yesterday I set the register and cleaned the seatpost now seems to work.
    Last edited by sergio0624; 11-12-2019 at 07:41 AM.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    FYI, you need a new translator.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

- Decrease shock sag %
    - Adjust tire pressure

yes, yes, yes and more yes to this post. I was going to come in here and likely type way too many words to respond to kally's post but this one nails it.

Move your stem down in 5mm increments until you find a balance. You'll notice that most EWS and DH racers are constantly moving their stem up and down for the particular track they are racing. We as hobbiests won't generally do this and we'll find a happy medium and just set and forget.

I have been able to find a happy medium stem position and like you, I had to end up dropping my stem by 10mm from my initial starting point on the trance in order to ensure I had my weight on the front end.

Now, like Bluman8 mentions, I am able to just dial in a bit of compression damping to either end of the bike if I am going to be riding flow trails or if the situation dictates it.
    Hi guys,
    it's been a while since your answer but I have tried some of your tips long ago
    First thank you very much!
    The weather here is not very mtb friendly currently, so I am not finished with changing the setup, but these changes have made a quite big impact on my riding, although still not what I concider as the sweet spot:
    - lowering the bar for one spacer
    - reducing the tire pressure
    - adjusting the rebound of the fork
    - body position

I also found a very nice deal on a 10mm rise carbon bar on CRC, but found out too late, that the stem diameter is smaller than the 35mm on the Giant...

In summary I can say that every of your points have changed the flow trail behaviour of the bike to the better.
    Next time I want to lower the bar even more and see the difference.
    Again, thank you very much guys!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017

I did a tyre swap in the week, went from a 2.35 Forekaster (back) and a 2.3 Minion DHF to a set of Rekons (2.4 rear and 2.6 front). They roll really well and the grip is also excellent. Running the front at 1.4 bar and it definitely filters out a lot of the noise coming off the trail.
    I ran that same tire combo on my old trance adv 2 and it was a great set-up for trail riding. Less weight, less rolling resistance and they grip well if you roll the bike over compared to the minions.

mtbr member
    May 2008

i run a 2.35 forekaster front and 2.25 rekon rear. i swear my bike is 20% faster vs the DHF/DHR combo. .75lbs lighter, and WAY less rolling resistance. The rekon was stellar in the summer, but is falling off in grip for the fall. Any leaves/slight mud and the braking performance is poor. It fills with mud very easy so it makes climbing under power a little tricky. Killer tire for loose over hardpack or just hardpack.

mtbr member
    We don’t get much serious wet weather riding here, so the Rekon is looking like a winner more and more. Though last weekend’s ride was on some damp clay and I was not wanting for grip anywhere compared to my buddy who was running 2.35 Ikons and who was skating everywhere

mtbr member
    Shameless plug for myself. I'm going to move my XL t29 advanced down the road. If anyone in this thread is interested and is located in socal, az, nv area, let me know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Hey guys,
    Has anybody made some optical customization regarding the look of his blue Trance 29 2?
    Somehow the just blue look is starting to bore me, but I am lacking inspiration what I could change and what would look and fit nicely.

Ride lots...
    Hey guys,
    Has anybody made some optical customization regarding the look of his blue Trance 29 2?
    Somehow the just blue look is starting to bore me, but I am lacking inspiration what I could change and what would look and fit nicely.
    I too thought the massive amounts of blue and black looked a little, too much. I love the blue, but it is a lot. I went with red component accents. I've done red/black Deity bars, red Deity seatpost collar, red/black fender, red bottle cage, red grips, red bar ends and red valve stem caps. I'll be going to a red Deity stem and pedals soon. Red hubs someday would be nice too. (The red Garmin mount is going away soon. I had that from a previous bike. It was not purchased to go with the red color scheme here)

I also considered the lime(?) green color most manufacturers have. Don't like orange. Don't like yellow. Purple is too close to blue. Silver/grey wouldn't pop enough.

2019 Trance 29-trance.jpg

2019 Trance 29-trance2.jpg

mtbr member
    Just scored a 165x42.5 RockShox Super Deluxe off eBay for my Trance 29 1. Looking forward to mounting it up!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Anyone ride a Trance for XC marathon type stuff?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowdownthehill View Post
    I am riding regional amateur "winter league" races with mine. Not very long tracks, around 30-40km with 400-800m elevation however.

It performs very well, can't say how much faster I'd be on a "proper" XC bike but I don't really care because this one is a lot of fun and still very quick without having to worry about parts breaking or bike not being suited for rougher parts of the track.

I love that I can ride the same bike everywhere I like to ride basically and it doesn't feel out of it's place anywhere.

I do think however that it would really benefit from having 2 different wheelsets and tires - one light for XC and marathon duty and one more rugged for fooling around

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    FYI:

My new Trance Advanced Pro 29 2 XL came with 170mm cranks instead of 175mm like it’s specced on Giant’s (dutch) website.. not complaining but I wish I knew that before I ordered my Invisiframe crank protection.

mtbr member
    Trim the crank guards to fit and they will work fine

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slowdownthehill View Post
    I recently raced a 4 day stage race on mine, swapped wheels to some Roval Control SL's I had with XC tyres. To be honest it was fine, although I did miss the remote lock out a bit.
    On anything even remotely technical the speed difference between the XC bikes was huge
    2019 Trance 29
    2018 Epic
    Procaliber- sold
    ASR-C- sold
    ARC Carbon- sold
    SB-95C- play bike- sold

mtbr member
    RockShox Super Deluxe finally arrived for my Trance 29 1. Fairly easy to get a base setting dialed. Hope to go for a test ride this weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I can confirm the OneUp 210 mm dropper can be slammed (ie completely dropped) into the XL advanced frame. Easiest upgrade ever!

WillWorkForTrail
    I can confirm the OneUp 210 mm dropper can be slammed (ie completely dropped) into the XL advanced frame. Easiest upgrade ever!
    Sweeet! The mechanic at my LBS has one slammed in his M frame Reign - I've been seriously considering trying this for myself with the Trance. Thank you for confirming this works, now I just need to confirm I can use all that travel.

mtbr member
    Has anyone got their bike weighing down to the low 27 pound range? I weighed a new 20 Pro 0 today at my LBS 28.35. Size Large.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    Has anyone got their bike weighing down to the low 27 pound range? I weighed a new 20 Pro 0 today at my LBS 28.35. Size Large.
    What are you willing to sacrifice/compromise? Dropper post? lighter tires? $$$$$ on super light weight wheels?

My pro 2 is approaching that number and I could still go even lighter with tires/bar/stem/wheels/cranks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heythorp View Post
    What are you willing to sacrifice/compromise? Dropper post? lighter tires? $$$$$ on super light weight wheels?

My pro 2 is approaching that number and I could still go even lighter with tires/bar/stem/wheels/cranks.
    My current bike is 26.25 pounds with a 5.95 pound frame weight before Invisiframe. I know the piggy back shock on the Trance adds weight and switching out my step cast fork adds weight, but just gauging the Giant frame weight and what’s possible. Adding/ conceding the extra pound using all my current light weight parts is expected and okay.

Formerly of Kent

2019 Trance 29

My current bike is 26.25 pounds with a 5.95 pound frame weight before Invisiframe. I know the piggy back shock on the Trance adds weight and switching out my step cast fork adds weight, but just gauging the Giant frame weight and what’s possible. Adding/ conceding the extra pound using all my current light weight parts is expected and okay.
    I’d say that’s a very respectable weight for that kind of bike. Based on what you describe, at least.

The only possible swap MIGHT be a shock like the McLeod for the piggy back shock. Nearly every review I’ve seen suggests it’s an improvement for many bike-rider combos that might otherwise require a custom tuned shock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Page 3 has a lot on weight. 26.5 has been reported

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    My medium 19 Pro 0 was 27.44 lbs stock with 170mm cranks and crankbro candy 1 pedals. Probably ~27.2 now after a change to syntace bar and stem.

WillWorkForTrail
    My Adv Pro 1 is 28lbs 5 oz - that's basically stock with one up pedals and Ergon grips, except I have 2.6 Rekons on it rather than minions.

mtbr member
    My XL Pro1 is 12.7kg with XTR trail pedals and 800gr tires (NN 2.35), bottle cage with tool included. Without pedals and bottle cage it's around 12.2kg, so 26.84lbs I guess including all around frame protection.

That's with SQLab saddle that's slightly heavier than stock, X1 carbon cranks with alu ring (little under 200gr savings) and one piece Syncros Hixon copy bars (around 200gr saved).

mtbr member
    Page 3 has a lot on weight. 26.5 has been reported
    Thanks all. Looks like the frame weight is similar to what I have SB100 and 26.5 can easily be achieved, even with a Pike Ultimate.

mtbr member
    yeah, my XL is around 27.8 with a DHF 2.3 and a dhr2 2.3 in back. That's with pedals, bottle cages etc. The DPX2 that I have on my bike is like 200g heavier then the stock DPS. If you're counting grams, stick with the stock DPS or a macleod. The performance of the piggy back is there, but it's a notable weight increase over stock for a performance increase that only shows up in certain types of riding/features.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have a 165x45 Super Deluxe rtc for sale if anyone riding an XL would like it.
    Not sure the clearance on piggyback would clear smaller frames.

I was riding it for a few weeks and enjoyed it quite a bit, but then I destroyed the frame. Luckily their composite confidence is legit, and they replaced the frame within a week. I decided to just go back to the DPX2 to match the fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    To expand a bit on last post:
    I have had the Adv 1 since Feb/March and simply loved it! Racing pedal-filled enduro tracks on it or even xc relays, it was my go-to for fun stuff that didn't require the Jekyll (or now 2020 Enduro).
    I snagged a longer stroke shock and tried it out. I was constantly upset when mounting said shocks because the washers were a pain to get flush and mount, but performance on both shocks is great (super deluxe definitely has more rebound damping available, plus lsc knob).

I think the first crack occurred on trail ride when front wheel kicked a rock up near the rubber guard. Paint chipped a bit on the edge, but the glued-on nature of said guard prevented me from seeing if there was any further damage underneath. I couldn't feel anything.

Then doing a mild descent not too hard since I was just two months post collarbone repair, some (rock I assume) kicked up, stuck itself on the down tube, stopped my cranks pedaling and sent me flying OTB. Of course it was on the same shoulder, which scared me. But I could move, and muscles only tightened up for the weekend. Sadly, the bike didn't fare as well.
    2019 Trance 29-trancesmash1.jpg
    2019 Trance 29-trancesmash2.jpg

Pulled the rubber rock guard off and it all popped back into place, minus a hole or two.

2019 Trance 29-trancesmash3.jpg

But, Giant shipped me a new frame and i built it up 6 days after crash. Luckily it was the color I wanted, but they didn't offer as an EP.
    2019 Trance 29-newtrance1.jpg
    2019 Trance 29-newtrance2.jpg
    2019 Trance 29-newtrance3.jpg

JT1
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    My Adv Pro 1 is 28lbs 5 oz - that's basically stock with one up pedals and Ergon grips, except I have 2.6 Rekons on it rather than minions.
    My Adv Pro 2 is about the same weight, 28 lbs and a few ounces. I did change out the bars for a OneUP carbon version, the dropper for a OneUp, and a friend gave me an XX1 derailleur and shifter (yeah, lucky me. He upgraded to AXS).

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Plenty of complaints about the paint chipping, but that frame breaking the way it did is not normal. I haven't seen any others yet. Any other evidence of this perhaps being a problem?

WillWorkForTrail
    Plenty of complaints about the paint chipping, but that frame breaking the way it did is not normal. I haven't seen any others yet. Any other evidence of this perhaps being a problem?
    I haven't seen any other breaks. I've got the same frame, so we'll see. At any rate, I'm confident if it does break, Giant has my back, just like every other frame of theirs I've had.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I doubt it is 'a thing.' I'd imagine that most frames wouldn't take such a direct hit with a big object, especially if it was already cracked. It is a light frame for what you can do to it. And, yeah, that service makes me feel happy and confident.

JT1
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JT1 View Post
    My Adv Pro 2 is about the same weight, 28 lbs and a few ounces. I did change out the bars for a OneUP carbon version, the dropper for a OneUp, and a friend gave me an XX1 derailleur and shifter (yeah, lucky me. He upgraded to AXS).
    OK, with the XX1 installed, my bike is now 27.5 lbs. Lucky me!

mtbr member
    Good on giant to make it right with that frame, not surprised, but good to hear they handled it well. I'm not sure many of the bikes in this segment and weight class would survive a hit like that in that area. I know my megatower would, but it's overbuilt and tips the scales to prove it. I think the sb100, ripley, trance 29 are on the lower end of frame weights these days for harder hitting trail bikes. That being the case, they may fail a minute amount faster then say the santa cruz lower link bikes, pivots, gorilla gravity and 30-31 lb trail bikes. However I think you end up slicing it pretty thin. I've seen plenty of aluminum bikes die with the same type of hit. YMMV.

Jealous of that blue color, but without the ep option on that frame color it was a non-starter for me as well.

mtbr member
    First ride on the Super Deluxe equipped Trance 29 1 today. Only 16km, but the new shock is much more supportive than the Fox DPS. I needed to drop the rear pressure a few PSI as I was not using full travel and the shock was loosening up (was an unused take off part). I hit a couple of staircases at the end of the ride and the bike was a lot more composed and did not unsettle the bike at all compared to the DPS. I’m properly impressed.

Current settings for my 78kg (geared up) body are:
    247PSI
    3 clicks of rebound
    One volume spacer
    Compression tune is M
    Rebound tune is L
    Lockout is 380

I’m considering taking the shock for a Tractive Tune at the local Vorsprung agent. But it is so good at the moment. Anyone got experience with the tune and how is can improve a shock?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Does anyone know if the bikes shipped to the dealers have the fork steerer tubes cut or uncut from the factory? Just wondering because I'm a little concerned about the low stack height, and would like extra spacers under the stem if possible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
    Does anyone know if the bikes shipped to the dealers have the fork steerer tubes cut or uncut from the factory? Just wondering because I'm a little concerned about the low stack height, and would like extra spacers under the stem if possible.
    I've always wondered. I'm pretty sure my 2019 was cut before I bought it

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    TCX advanced SX

mtbr member
    They're cut but come with approximately 4 to 5cm of spacers so you can adjust your stack height.
    However, you're better off using riser bars since using all the stack on the steerer shortens the reach and it's especially noticable on modern slacked out bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Latest mods.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    They're cut but come with approximately 4 to 5cm of spacers so you can adjust your stack height.
    However, you're better off using riser bars since using all the stack on the steerer shortens the reach and it's especially noticable on modern slacked out bikes.
    Thanks! I called a Giant dealer yesterday morning and he also said the forks typically come to them cut for the frames' headtube length with a star nut installed, but they are usually long enough for a lot of spacers under the stem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
    Thanks! I called a Giant dealer yesterday morning and he also said the forks typically come to them cut for the frames' headtube length with a star nut installed, but they are usually long enough for a lot of spacers under the stem.
    Keep in mind most manufacturer say to only use 30mm of spacers under the stem. Need more than that get riser bars and/or stem with some rise to it.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Does anyone know the weight difference between the aluminum frame and the carbon frame?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Does anyone know the weight difference between the aluminum frame and the carbon frame?
    I would say it's about a 1 pound difference. I believe I saw earlier in this post that someone weighed a carbon frame and it was under 6 pounds with shock (like 5.8 or something). Not sure which size that is, but that's a very competitive weight for a trail bike frame. For reference, a GG Trail Pistol carbon frame is 6.5 pounds, without the shock, but that's a very burly carbon layup.

I have not seen anyone weigh an alloy frame yet, but from the complete bike weights I've seen, I'm guessing it's a little under 7 pounds for all sizes. Again, a very competitive weight.

A lot of the new alloy trail bike frames are well over 8 pounds. Now granted these bikes have a little more travel, but...
    A medium Ibis Ripmo AF (alloy) is listed at 8.25 lbs with shock, whereas the carbon Ripmo weighs 6.1 lbs with shock. Devinci lists their alloy Troy at 9.1 pounds (!!), compared to their carbon Troy at 7.3 pounds (!). Trek lists the frame weight of a medium Fuel EX alloy frame at 7.41 pounds (I'm guessing with shock and stupid knock block headset), whereas the carbon version is listed at 6.01 pounds. The Fuel would be one of the closest competitors to the Trance 29.

mtbr member
    Difference on 27.5 model was about 200-300 grams.

mtbr member
    Is anyone running a coil rear shock?

TCX advanced SX

Zak
    Discernibly Turgid
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jhtopilko View Post
    There aren’t any coil shocks that are 165mm eye to eye.

mtbr member
    Ttx 22m 165x45

TCX advanced SX

mtbr member
    Three rides done now with the Super Deluxe equipped Trance 29 1 and I am loving it! The bike stays up further in its' stroke whilst pedaling. This has helped my climbing comfort and allowed me to clear a few techy climbs at a local spot that i always battled with. I also feel no need to use the lockout switch at all. Downhill is just plain ridiculous. The bike is so composed and just begs for speed. I thought this would be a marginal upgrade, but it has turned out to be an excellent one. For those looking to take the plunge the shock code is 06T72397148

WillWorkForTrail

If you're looking at a coil, I'd highly recommend you get a good progressive spring for it, because the Trance needs it. It has a very linear suspension design, and as such the damping and progression of whatever shock you put on it are going to be important to how the bike rides.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

If I was ever going to, it would be a Push Industries ElevenSix

Zak
    Discernibly Turgid
    Jul 2004
    Ttx 22m 165x45

I stand corrected - I'm literally SHOCKED that they make that - not many applications for that size. I'm a coil guy on my big bike but I wouldn't put one on my Trance unless it had some way to avoid bottom out, it's pretty linear. I'm running a 45mm stroke Super Deluxe now and liking that a lot more than the DVO, will likely have Vorsprung tune it if I keep the bike. My Reign 29 is getting a Storia though!

mtbr member
    Zak, I was surprised to see it as well. When I did, I thought if I had an income at the moment I'd want it for spring.

TCX advanced SX

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Replaced my deluxe rt3 with a super deluxe. Loving the ride now. Ive got the deluxe rt3 posted over on pb if anyone is interested. 165x42.5. Probably has ~50mi.
    https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2689451/

mtbr member
    Enough votes for the super deluxe for me to want to go that route.

TCX advanced SX

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    I stumbled into a good deal on one but I'm really glad I did. Coming off a reign it feels almost as capable but climbs so much better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Does anyone know what the suspension performance difference is on a 30T versus 30T front chainring? Sounds like most of the testing of the bike was done on the Advanced 0 which has a 32T chainring and was wondering if the read suspension works better with that set-up.

mtbr member
    Bigger chainring should give less anti squat.

TCX advanced SX

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So I haven't been on this thread for a long time. Just wanted to post up my sizing info. Not sure if I'm the only one who feels they have done something odd to get really comfortable. I have the Trance 29 2 model that came with 45mm stem stock.

5'9" and weigh about 190lbs
    I have a longer torso and shorter legs (30" inseam?)
    Running a Deva saddle pushed back to max setting.
    I'm now running an 80mm stem, and feel that this is the sweet spot for me. I just find it odd that I had to increase the stem length by 35mm!

I also changed from the stock bar to an SQLab 16* alloy bar and even trimmed it down to about 730mm. Super happy with it, even though that's crazy narrow these days.

Loving the bike. Fork could be tweaked a bit, but I'm not sure what it needs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    So I haven't been on this thread for a long time. Just wanted to post up my sizing info. Not sure if I'm the only one who feels they have done something odd to get really comfortable. I have the Trance 29 2 model that came with 45mm stem stock.

I'm now running an 80mm stem, and feel that this is the sweet spot for me. I just find it odd that I had to increase the stem length by 35mm!

I also changed from the stock bar to an SQLab 16* alloy bar and even trimmed it down to about 730mm. Super happy with it, even though that's crazy narrow these days.

What bike/build are you coming from. That may have influenced the mods you made to the Trance. OTOH, it makes sense to just do whatever you need to to get a comfortable fit.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 01-01-2020 at 05:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Got a Wahoo Kickr for Christmas and my plan was to hook up my Trance 29 Advance 1 to it for Zwift training during the winter. The Kickr doesn't seem to have much play, so wondering if it's bad for the carbon fibre frame and linkages to be mounted on a rigid trainer? I have an old 26" mountain bike I could use instead but would rather use the better bike if I don't need to be worried about damaging the frame.

monster member
    Quote Originally Posted by DocFPV View Post
    Got a Wahoo Kickr for Christmas and my plan was to hook up my Trance 29 Advance 1 to it for Zwift training during the winter. The Kickr doesn't seem to have much play, so wondering if it's bad for the carbon fibre frame and linkages to be mounted on a rigid trainer? I have an old 26" mountain bike I could use instead but would rather use the better bike if I don't need to be worried about damaging the frame.
    I've used my Trek Emonda which is a very lightweight CF frame on a Hammer for about 600 miles, w/o problem yet. But I always try to be gentle on it. If I had a different bike I could use on it, I'd choose that. I'd just try to make the ergonomics similar and use the older bike, then have the good bike ready to go w/o pulling it down from the exercise room, putting the wheel back on, and not worrying about hurting it, etc.

EDIT- I'm about 195#.
    Have fun!

monster member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post

Did your bike ever weave and wobble as you peddled up a hill, like the steering is too fast? Now, with the bars cut much shorter, does it seem to steer too fast?

I ask because my bars are cut down to 760mm right now, but I want to cut more off. Just not a believer in the wide bar thing after trying them. But I don't want the bike to steer ridiculously quick.
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspeed View Post
    Did your bike ever weave and wobble as you peddled up a hill, like the steering is too fast? Now, with the bars cut much shorter, does it seem to steer too fast?

I ask because my bars are cut down to 760mm right now, but I want to cut more off. Just not a believer in the wide bar thing after trying them. But I don't want the bike to steer ridiculously quick.
    There's been a fair amount of discussion on this subject. One of the best recommendations I read was to just slide the grips inboard until they feel good, ride with them like that for a while and then you can decide how much to cut off based on that. Some bars are restrictive in how much can be cut off and it may be that you can only slide the grips/brakes/shifters so far before the bars thicken. This will help sort that out also.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DocFPV View Post
    I'd be wary of using a CF bike on a trainer.
    A friend of mine broke his Scott Scale on a trainer and they didn't honor the warranty. Bike broke on the chainstay and the shop said it's even written in the warranty conditions you're not supposed to be using it on a trainer. I was pretty shocked to hear this but trance is build much tougher than the Scale.

However, I'd still use old bike because there's no point in wearing out good bike for mundane training session on a trainer, get cheap low end drivetrain and don't wear out nice expensive one on a boring trainer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey @Wheelspeed, I fully agree with @MSU Alum. In fact I did this very thing. I do not feel like it steers too fast. I really like the way it is, and I'm happy with the stem and bar changes including the cut down. I really only cut about an inch off of each side. 2 inches total seems like a lot until you think about how it's only an inch off each side. Move your grips in a bit and go for a ride to see how YOU think it feels. Heck, you could move them in a lot, and then widen them until you like it best.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    What bike/build are you coming from. That may have influenced the mods you made to the Trance. OTOH, it makes sense to just do whatever you need to to get a comfortable fit.
    I didn't have a FS bike for quite a while. I was doing lots of rigid riding and HT. The Trance and my changes make me need to sell my HT, because I don't like the geo anymore.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I wish I would've read this entire thread before sending off my DPS to Fox.
    2019 Advanced Pro 2 carbon with the DPS. Have had the bike about 9 months. 165lb rider and was at approx 190psi with about 4-5 clicks up from slowest setting. Ran it fully open 98% of the time. Liked the feel, only bottomed it a couple of times. Ride mostly pan flat gulf coast trails but frequently travel to more gnarly terrain. In fact, rode XC in Fort Collins CO on Tuesday and then shredded Rainmaker at Trestle on Wednesday on the bike. NO ISSUES. Bike handled flawlessly and one of my 2 or 3 bottom outs happened at Trestle. I added about 4 lbs of pressure after the bottom and had no issues the rest of the time there.

Came back home and just wanted to play with it a little so I removed the orange .8 volume spacer and added the slightly larger red spacer. I dirt jump quite a bit and just wanted to see if I could get a more progressive feel. Had no issues at all, shock worked well. Regardless of pressure, sag, or spacer, I used every bit of travel on every ride. Even hopping curbs around the neighborhood.

The one thing I did notice over time was the three position switch seemed to come loose or less defined notches between the three settings. Sometimes when hitting a jump or hard hit, the switch would actually fall from the open position to the middle setting or slightly between the two.

One day, I gave her a bath and went out around the neighborhood hopping curbs. Hit a few and then the last one, upon landing, heard and felt a loud POP. I look down and oil is just foaming out of the shock around the switch. The switch was completely swinging free and would rotate a full 360 degrees. The shock seemed to retain pressure and I rode home a few blocks.

My shop sent it into Fox the week of December 9th. I asked if I could upgrade to the DPX2. The answer was no. There were no DPX2 shocks available for the bike because it was OEM. I could buy a fancy Kashima coat if I could find one but being that it would be off the shelf and not tuned for the bike, it may not work. I reached out to my local Giant rep and he was trying to find me a DPX2 that would work for it, so far no luck. So I just asked for a repair under warranty.

It is now January 14th and still no shock or answer from Fox on when it will be completed and returned. I am starting to get irritated. I am trying to be patient and I plan to use a ShockWiz to adjust my set up once I finally get it back.

My question is: has anyone had a similar problem and what the cause of the failure may have been? I rode it for nearly 2 months with the larger spacer in there and had no issues so I don't think it was that. Something was wrong with the switch. Secondly, how long does it take Fox on warranty repairs?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I can't comment on any problems with my shock. I have the same bike/shock as you and do plan on getting a 2nd shock to have one as a spare. I hope its not a problem with the red volume spacer,because I just put one in mine(I'm a tad chunkey). Have not tried it yet due to a snow dump here. Checked the Fox website and it lists that spacer for that shock.
    https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=568.
    I always run my shock in the middle position. Will see how it feels with red spacer. Hope you get your's back soon.

mtbr member

2019 Trance 29

Do any of you feel that the Trance fits really small? I did a quick parking lot test ride and it felt super short in the reach, like my eyeline was way out over the front wheel.
    I’m 6’ with 32” inseam and tested a large. I was thinking I’d need a 60mm+ stem for it to feel balanced.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I recently posted how I swapped the stock stem for an 80mm stem on my Trance. I'm 5'9" and riding a medium.

I would say if it felt small, than it is small. That doesn't mean the large wouldn't work for you with a stem swap though. Did you try sitting on an XL?

mtbr member
    6ft and 32" inseam definitely means it would feel different than my 6ft and 35" inseam. Try the xl for sure. Our seat heights would be way different for sure.

TCX advanced SX

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckman4 View Post
    Do any of you feel that the Trance fits really small? I did a quick parking lot test ride and it felt super short in the reach, like my eyeline was way out over the front wheel.
    I’m 6’ with 32” inseam and tested a large. I was thinking I’d need a 60mm+ stem for it to feel balanced.

I do feel like the XL is a bit shorter than I'd ideally have it. I think that's part of the reason Giant took the sizing on the new Reign as far as they did.

mtbr member
    I found that different bars and stems make a huge difference.
    Riser stem clamped closer to the frame and/or riser bars with modest backsweep makes huge difference compared to say stock bars with stem clamped all the way up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Talked to Fox today. Square edged o-ring was damaged which caused damper shaft damage. All repaired and shipped. At least I have an answer and a delivery date.

mid-apocalypse

Seated reach feels short maybe because the seat angle is steeper than expected with that new forward offset post.

Try standing up and checking the reach?

The seated reach is pretty standard. For comparisons sake TT (seated reach) is 630mm for a L Ripley, 619mm for a L Tallboy, 630mm for L Trance 29.

(I'd put 6' a bit out of L category and into XL size category though).

In all fairness though, all bikes with steep seat angles feel short when seated.

On a side note about the stock handlebar: I just took it off for comparison sake. Identical sweep to Raceface and Deity, and barely less upsweep. A nicely shaped stock bar.

The Deity carbon I swapped it out for has a lot more vertical compliance though.

Keep on Rockin...

No. I'm nearly 6' with very long levers. I run a 50mm stem (maybe could use a 60mm). Feels good to me.

mtbr member
    I'm so happy with my T29 Advanced 1. It's really an amazing do it all bike.
    Not that happy with Nobby Nic 2.35 tires however. They're simply too fragile for my riding and I've been getting punctures that can't be sealed with sealant lately. I switched to Nobby Nics 2.6 today since I had very good experience with them on my last bike.

Here are some photos, December and January have been pretty great here on the Adriatic coast with lots of sunny days and temperatures around 15-20 °C.

I can't say enough good things about the my modified TRX-1 wheels. They've stayed true and despite me weighing quite a lot and riding agressively on unforgiving terrain and some audible rim strikes, I haven't seen any damage on the rim bead and there are only some superficial scratches on the rim sides.

Here are so

mtbr member
    I'm so happy with my T29 Advanced 1. It's really an amazing do it all bike.
    Not that happy with Nobby Nic 2.35 tires however. They're simply too fragile for my riding and I've been getting punctures that can't be sealed with sealant lately. I switched to Nobby Nics 2.6 today since I had very good experience with them on my last bike.

Here are some photos, December and January have been pretty great here on the Adriatic coast with lots of sunny days and temperatures around 15-20 °C.

I can't say enough good things about the my modified TRX-1 wheels. They've stayed true and despite me weighing quite a lot and riding agressively on unforgiving terrain and some audible rim strikes, I haven't seen any damage on the rim bead and there are only some superficial scratches on the rim sides.

Here are so

Great bike!

Ride lots...
    I found that different bars and stems make a huge difference.
    Riser stem clamped closer to the frame and/or riser bars with modest backsweep makes huge difference compared to say stock bars with stem clamped all the way up.
    Yep. I switched to Deity stem and Deity bars with a 38mm rise. Fit is spot on now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I tried to browse through this thread but didn't find answer or any reviews didn't tell this exactly. Does 27.5+ (3.0") fit to frame? I know that Fox fork is 29/27.5+ model but how about back wheel? I'm about to order Trance 29er 1 model and I already have extra 27.5+ wheelset cause I currently own Specialized Fuse 29/27.5+ hardtail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Just picked up a Trance 2 and want to know where to start my air pressure in the fork and shock? I'd like a chart of pressure by rider weight. I didn't see it in the Giant Manual (which seemed pretty useless).

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tenbsmith View Post
    Just picked up a Trance 2 and want to know where to start my air pressure in the fork and shock? I'd like a chart of pressure by rider weight. I didn't see it in the Giant Manual (which seemed pretty useless).
    Where do you need pressure? Just measure sag to 25% and then just increase or decrease pressure so you get correct value where to start fine tuning your shocks.

mtbr member
    Fox Fork pressure:
    https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.p...orkairpressure

For the rear, start at your weight in pounds, 160 pounds = 160 psi and adjust from there.

mtbr member
    The rear takes quite a bit of pressure to get the 25% sag number. 160 PSI will be way too soft. I ran 246 PSI for 25% sag at 170lbs. You might also want to look at a smaller spacer in the rear as the high pressure number means the shock ramps up pretty fiercely. I went from the 0.8 spacer to the 0.6 and it made a nice change to how the rear of the bike behaved

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanx for the info. I won't get to playing with the bike until this weekend.

@The_Bob, 246 is a lot higher than 170, i'm surprised it took that much pressure to get 25% sag. If I extrapolate for a 240lb rider i'd be running 360psi, much higher than i've run in rear shocks in my limited experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tenbsmith View Post
    Thanx for the info. I won't get to playing with the bike until this weekend.

@The_Bob, 246 is a lot higher than 170, i'm surprised it took that much pressure to get 25% sag. If I extrapolate for a 240lb rider i'd be running 360psi, much higher than i've run in rear shocks in my limited experience.
    Yeah, it does need a fair bit of pressure to get the sag to 25%. I’ve since upgraded to a Super Deluxe, which also needed 247 PSI for 25%. I had a similar experience with a Scott Spark which I ran before the Trance 29.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    It seems the new large -ve chamber short stroke shocks need a lot more initial pressure. I’m 160lbs and have 235PSI in my topaz to get 28% sag on my T29.

mtbr member
    Just keep compression ratio's in mind. I certainly have noticed this as I've played with different shocks and air spring setups on the trance. My guess is that the reason that the trance is limited to 115mm has more to do with the compression ratio than it does the kinematics or the packaging of the frame.

At 225 psi, with a blue reducer and a 165x45 shock... it is very, very hard to use all of the travel. The shock definitely smashes into a wall at 42.5mm of stroke. I have to do some really insane riding or really screw up to actually use the extra travel of my long stroked trance 29. I'm talking to the point where I'm on the edge of having a massive wreck and I'm riding hard enough that I'm wondering if I've cracked the frame or wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Trance 29-1217142d1537400350-max-weight-fox-2018-float-dpx2-2018-09-19-16_33_59-2002-2019-air-volume-reduc.png  

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I understand the row and column headers, but what do the numbers in that table represent?

mtbr member
    I'd guess compression rate? The bigger the spacer is, shock needs more force to achieve full travel.
    Last edited by MarinCRO; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:19 PM.

mtbr member
    I'd guess compression rate? The bigger the spacer if, shock needs more force to achieve full travel.
    Nailed it. That number is the compression ratio of the air spring/volume from unloaded (un-sagged) to fully compressed at the stroke length of the listed shock.

From the looks of it, it appears that for the DPS and DPX2, the max compression ratio is around 4.0.

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=568

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Since the aluminum Trance 2 doesn't come with a downtube protector for whatever reason, does anyone know if the replacement part 3G9-4016-1 for the Advanced Pro will work?

Boozy
    Aug 2013

I am also running a 140mm air shaft on My trance pro 1. No Negatives at all, I have just long stroked the shock(removed the 2.5mm reducer) no test ride yet(too much Rain) , I can report back if anyone is interested?

mtbr member
    Please do! Interested to hear your feedback. What frame size are you running and how much clearance is there with the long stroked shock?

mtbr member
    Few updates on my Trance.

I'm very happy with the bike, especially TRX-1 wheels. They've been bulletproof despite me not being a featherweight. I've had numerous rim strikes and no apparent damage on the rims.

I'm not that happy with Nobby Nic 2.35 tires. They're very fast and offer decent grip but they've been very prone to ruptures and cuts , especially on knob/carcass interface. I've punctured the rear many times and they've been limiting how agressive one can ride the bike. I've changed them to Nobby Nic 2.6" that I've had great luck before on Pivot Switchblade (easily clocking around 3-4000km on one set) and they're far more comfortable, grippy and still roll very fast compared to Minions but offer better protection due to higher volume and stiffer sidewalls they have less chance of rim strike.

Chinese carbon one-piece handlebar is still in one piece and it's suprisingly comfortable, light and cheap.

SRAM Code RS are far better brakes than the stock Guide T's offering more power, higher fade resistance and more consistency.

Fox fork and shock are peforming admirably despite being "performance" level and I can't really fault them. I've increased the pressure in both fork and shock slightly since I started riding more agressively and I found that added pressure in the shock helped the climbs as well.

GX Eagle je fine, I can't say it's really good. It's has made some clunking noises recently like chain slipping and I have that annoying noise in 5th cog. I might change to Shimano 12s when it wears out as I've been hearing good things about it.

I got myself a new dropper - BikeYoke Revive and ZTTO dropper lever that's seems to be a copy of Wolftooth ReMote. I also 3D printed a piece in order to mount the dropper lever to SRAM matchmaker.
    I had to warranty my stock Giant post as it had issues with anodization wearing off and jerky action and it's seal wasn't very good at keeping mud and grime away.
    Revive is butter smooth in comparison, no bushing play and looks like a really quality piece of kit.

I'm still trying to find ideal handlebar grips. I've gone through few and I'm still unsure what to pick. Comfort 500 ones from Decathlon seem very nice with it's soft rubber ribs and they've been very comfy and don't require bar ends.
    I'm currently riding with Specialized silicone grips that are almost identical to ESI Chunkies but they felt better in the packaging than when I mounted them since they've lost that cushioning feeling after mounting them.

I also used "ergonomic" Ergon GA3 but I wasn't very happy with those and I moved them to my Canyon city bike.

Here are some photos:
    v

Great little tool that makes brake caliper alignment a breeze (AliExpress):

3D printed matchmaker adapter for ZTTO lever:

BikeYoke Revive:

ZTTO dropper remote, has a nice big bearing, quality machining.

Middle of January (and now February) - around 15-18 degrees Celsius, wonderful weather

mtbr member
    Nice update. I have a revive on my megatower that I have been quite happy with. I do agree that the fox performance stuff is rather faultless. I actually took my dpx2 off my trance to do a rebuild on it and put the stock dps back on the bike for a ride or two. I forgot how good even the DPS was on this bike. It's really 85ish% as good as my aftermarket dpx2 factory.

What's the deal with that break caliper alignment tool. I can't picture in my head how it works, although I'm interested. Always hard to adjust the brake calipers... especially since i usually have a beer or three in my by the time I'm that far into bike re-assembly.

mtbr member
    I ordered a super deluxe from pros closet.

TCX advanced SX

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm looking for some opinions between the aluminum T2 with the shimano slx 12 speed build compared to jumping up to the carbon.
    What is making my decision difficult is that the aluminum T2 just seems like such great value for the $$. Is the carbon that much lighter and really worth the extra money?
    My dealer has a 2019 advance 1 for $600 off but i keep going back to looking at the aluminum 2 shimano build.
    I have to admit I am a shimano fan
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    I'm looking for some opinions between the aluminum T2 with the shimano slx 12 speed build compared to jumping up to the carbon.
    What is making my decision difficult is that the aluminum T2 just seems like such great value for the $$. Is the carbon that much lighter and really worth the extra money?
    My dealer has a 2019 advance 1 for $600 off but i keep going back to looking at the aluminum 2 shimano build.
    Thanks
    The Advanced has the carbon wheels and the DPX2 shock. Brakes are not as good as the SLX bike in my opinion. Apparently the weight difference is less than a kilo. Personally I�d go for the Advanced for the better wheels and shock. Let us know what you end up doing

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree that the aluminum model is a great deal. I would have been very happy if I bought it except for the wheels. I didn't like that the wheels are only 25mm internal width. If that's not really a concern to you, then I say go for it. I ended up getting the Pro 2 instead, but it is a lot more money.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I agree with you on the wheels but maybe with the money I would save I could buy some decent 30mm internal wheels.
    I just noticed that the aluminum T2 with shimano they are now using 170mm crank arms. Giant must be listening to riders about the pedal strikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Then I don't see why you couldn't go that route. I don't even like blue, but I test rode that bike and the frame was super pretty. I think you would be stoked on that bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I changed the wheels in the aluminum model but I always took them from 25mm internal. In my opinion they work well with 2.3 tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    Thanks
    If I was on a budget (every previous giant I’ve owned) I would go with the aluminium and just upgrade the wheels, there’s plenty of good options out there. Generally The ALUXX SL frames are pretty light anyway and only weigh around 1/2kg more of the carbon frames.

The other option if you want the carbon wheels and the Shimano drivetrain is ask your dealer to swap the SLX onto the advanced. Others in here have also converted the TRX 1 (DT Swiss) hub to a star ratchet.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    If I was on a budget (every previous giant I’ve owned) I would go with the aluminium and just upgrade the wheels, there’s plenty of good options out there. Generally The ALUXX SL frames are pretty light anyway and only weigh around 1/2kg more of the carbon frames.

The other option if you want the carbon wheels and the Shimano drivetrain is ask your dealer to swap the SLX onto the advanced. Others in here have also converted the TRX 1 (DT Swiss) hub to a star ratchet.
    what are decent wheel options? i have the 2019 trance 29er 2

mtbr member
    Newmen A30 is fantastic wheelset. Light, strong and well priced.

JT1
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I quite like the Giant TRX 1s that came on my Advanced Pro 2. I've had no issues with the hubs and have seen no need to upgrade to star ratchet hubs, though I do confess to star ratchet hub envy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robhurlburt View Post
    I upgraded from the TRX1 to a pair of i9's with Torch hubs. In retrospect, it really was unnecessary, though it did allow me to pass a very good wheelset off to my adult son. The TRX1 is just fine, even if you don't replace the hub innards.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by robhurlburt View Post
    Depends on what you want in a wheel and your budget. I prefer straight pull hubs with, 28 spokes and around the 1800g mark for the wheelset, so I’d look at:

- Bontrager Elite 30
    - DT Swiss M 1700 Spline 30
    - Newman A.30

If you don’t mid J Bend hubs
    - Hunt Wheels - trail wide 30

If you want carbon rims maybe Light Bicycle on some DT Swiss 350 hubs. But if it was me I’d stick with Al rims.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567