2019 Trance 29 - Page 7- Mtbr.com
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 1,201 to 1,248 of 1248

Thread: 2019 Trance 29

Big B's Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I'm going to throw something out there I was hesitant about before. There were a lot of comments about rebound damping on the DPX2 maybe being a bit light for heavier guys running higher air pressure. I thought, maybe I'm just strange and like my rebound a little faster than most people. But apparently that's not the case. I'm running 300PSI in the shock, and had the opportunity to mess with a ShockWiz. The only recommendation it made was....speed up my rebound more. The ShockWiz was set for balanced tuning. I thought I'd throw it out there because, I, like others, thought it might be a bit silly of Giant and Fox to ship these bikes with a tune that wasn't going to work for larger riders on an XL frame, but it seems the electronics think the factory tune works for high pressures.
    your'e running 300psi??? wow I thought I was getting up there at 280, and Im 5 pounds heavier than you, what rebound setting are you running -4, -5?
    I dig dirt!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    Smoking price on the same shock I have on my bike. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-FOX-Fa...EAAOSwHuRdgpQZ

FWIW, that's a chunk under dealer cost.
    I haven't followed every bit of the thread, but will the 45mm shock will increase the rear travel to 120 and still clear the rear triangle at the seat tube on a Large?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
    I haven't followed every bit of the thread, but will the 45mm shock will increase the rear travel to 120 and still clear the rear triangle at the seat tube on a Large?
    Someone earlier said they did it with a large and had "plenty of clearance", but you might want to find that post and contact him to get a measurement. I think anything less than 6mm would be risky.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaFred View Post
    your'e running 300psi??? wow I thought I was getting up there at 280, and Im 5 pounds heavier than you, what rebound setting are you running -4, -5?
    Yep. I haven't actually counted where my rebound is yet. I'm still riding and tuning based on feedback from the shockwiz. It does like the 300 psi air pressure though, but still thinks my rebound is too slow, and indicates some packing problems on the rear end. I'll try and post what what I end up with setting wise when I get it tuned and figured out. I can tell you I'm about 20 seconds faster over a 3 mile loop with the air pressure up and the rebound faster. Mind you, lots of pump rollers on this loop, so a stiffer rear end being faster makes those more efficient, doesn't really surprise me to be a lot faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iyamdman View Post
    The Stack for the Giant and Evol tune is the same : Medium/Medium, but I needed a more progressive compression so they added the next level up volume spacer.
    Glad you like the shock, looks trick on the bike. One clarification... It's not the same tune entirely. The Evil dpx2 has a digressive medium rebound tune. This means that, compared to the giant factory shock, at the same rebound setting, the shock will rebound slower in the first 20-30% of it's travel. Rebound from deep stroke impacts will be largely the same, although likely 10% slower then the RLA019 tune (linear rebound) with regards to deep stroke (high speed) rebound as well. It's difficult to impossible to make changes to low speed without impacting high speed on these air shocks.

The change to the oil is interesting. Do you know what brand of oil they used by chance? Comparing suspension fluids is about the CST, it's difficult to compare across brands. Either way, it's safe to assume it is genuinely thicker which would increase the damping on both compression and rebound across the board.

Mind telling me what your weight and shock settings are?

Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Yep. I haven't actually counted where my rebound is yet. I'm still riding and tuning based on feedback from the shockwiz. It does like the 300 psi air pressure though, but still thinks my rebound is too slow, and indicates some packing problems on the rear end. I'll try and post what what I end up with setting wise when I get it tuned and figured out. I can tell you I'm about 20 seconds faster over a 3 mile loop with the air pressure up and the rebound faster. Mind you, lots of pump rollers on this loop, so a stiffer rear end being faster makes those more efficient, doesn't really surprise me to be a lot faster.
    Could you remind me what shock you have and what compression/rebound setting you are typically running? I'm only running about 225psi in my dpx2, but I like you, find that I'm always running less rebound damping then I'd expect.

The one other thing I have noticed is that there seems to be a delicate balance between my compression settings and my rebound. Meaning that if I try to add more compression damping by either flipping the climb lever to medium, or by adding a few clicks of LSC, I start feeling like my rebound is off and I've been sent hunting for a new setting while on the trail.

It seems like this bike has a specific spot it the travel it likes to be around otherwise the back end can feel like it's hanging up. Sometimes I'll get thrown off and think it's rebound, but in reality, it's compression that's off. That's how I sorta discovered that on the stock dps, I preferred to ride it in medium. On the DPX2, I generally leave it in open and use the open mode adjust lsc to dial in the amount i want.

If you're thinking of long shocking the bike then I'd suggest searching for my posts in this thread. I have an XL, it fits but the clearance seems to diminish as you go to smaller frames.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If you're thinking of long shocking the bike then I'd suggest searching for my posts in this thread. I have an XL, it fits but the clearance seems to diminish as you go to smaller frames.
    yes, that would be the plan. I'd like to get the extra 5mm of travel if it will clear.

WillWorkForTrail

Could you remind me what shock you have and what compression/rebound setting you are typically running? I'm only running about 225psi in my dpx2, but I like you, find that I'm always running less rebound damping then I'd expect.
    DPX2 shock, I run it wide open the majority of the time (long singletrack climbs I'll use the climb mode, locked it out once on a road climb) and I'll only be able to tell you what settings I typically run after I count clicks for where I ended up, which I might get to do today, because I know how many clicks from where I had been I ended up. If that makes sense. In other words, when I was tuning using the seat of my pants, I wasn't counting how many clicks I was from one side or the other of open or closed.

mtbr member
    I believe that's a Performance model. Black, with compression adjust. The Factory DPX2 has the Kashima coating.

mtbr member
    Double post.

WillWorkForTrail
    Looks like I've landed at 6 clicks from full open rebound on the shock with 300 PSI.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Has anybody proven settings for the shock and fork suspension for a rider with about 92kg or 203lbs (with gear)?
    Im riding the Trance 29 2 alloy model.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    What are your guys thoughts on this leftover 2019 Giant Trance 2? Is there a way to upgrade the internals of the fork? What parts would you think to upgrade over time?
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bid...984284278.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kally View Post
    Has anybody proven settings for the shock and fork suspension for a rider with about 92kg or 203lbs (with gear)?
    Im riding the Trance 29 2 alloy model.
    It also varies by riding style, personal preferences and terrain, so "proven settings" for someone else likely will be off for you. Start at the recommended settings and don't be hesitant to try experimenting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGenErik1 View Post
    What are your guys thoughts on this leftover 2019 Giant Trance 2? Is there a way to upgrade the internals of the fork? What parts would you think to upgrade over time?
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bid...984284278.html
    That fork will accept a FIT4 damper, but the Grip damper is very good. Rest of the bike can be done as normal

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I am looking at the Giant Trance line. I am very close to pulling the trigger on a 2019 Trance 2 27.5, but it is a 7 hour round trip for it. It would be brand new, pretty decently discounted.

My local shop has a 2019 Trance 2 29er in stock, and it has two demos on it totaling around 1 hour of ride time, on easy local trails. I was looking for the higher suspension travel of the 27.5, and my friends have told me the 27.5 is more nimble in the tight New England woods, but the 29er is available for $800 off and carries the lifetime warranty since it was a dealer demo bike. I want to go ride both the 27.5 and 29er to see what feels best for me, but I wanted to hear your opinions.

Also is it worth the price jump for a brand new 2020 bikes to get the 12 speed gearing?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Bob View Post
    That fork will accept a FIT4 damper, but the Grip damper is very good. Rest of the bike can be done as normal
    Thanks for the info, I feel like its a good platform to build on without breaking the bank initially.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGenErik1 View Post
    Thanks for the info, I feel like its a good platform to build on without breaking the bank initially.
    I based my purchase on a Pro 29 1 on riding this bike in a demo. I would do nothing at all for a while, at least. Just ride it. Possibly replace the rear tire with something that rolls better, but only if YOU think it's necessary.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    What do you think of this wheelset https://www.actionsports.de/en/dt-sw...8e2e3aedc2f23f ? Does anyone know the circles? Or staying on the 30mm channel is it better to install DT Swiss XM481 rims?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio0624 View Post
    What do you think of this wheelset https://www.actionsports.de/en/dt-sw...8e2e3aedc2f23f ? Does anyone know the circles? Or staying on the 30mm channel is it better to install DT Swiss XM481 rims?
    Looks like a nice wheelset.

"Does anyone know the circles? Or staying on the 30mm channel is it better to install DT Swiss XM481 rims?"

If that is code for, "Is anyone familiar with these rims"? Not me.
    And "staying with 30mm inner width" is it better to install XM481 rims? I'd say no. Just get these.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Hey folks,
    I really love my Trance 29 2, but I got one issue:
    I'm feeling really uncomfortable on flow trails where I got some speed and when there is not a lot of weight on my front wheel.
    My front wheel is slipping away quite often in this case.
    On technical trails, where I got a lot of weight on my front wheel, I do not have this issue.
    Does anybody has the same issue know how to solve this problem?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Obvious answer. Weight the front more even at higher speed. Pretty much the same as most modern bikes that you're trying to ride fast. Gotta weight the front.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

JT1
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Hey folks,
    I'm feeling really uncomfortable on flow trails where I got some speed and when there is not a lot of weight on my front wheel.
    On technical trails, where I got a lot of weight on my front wheel, I do not have this issue.
    In addition to shifting your body position, you could try wider bars or/and a longer stem, both of which would shift your weight forward.

Keep on Rockin...
    Hey folks,
    What was your last bike?

Is this an issue specific to this Trance?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hey folks,
    I feel like this is an issue of ‘sizing up’ that is not talked about...Too much reach to properly weight the front in general trail conditions. But easily solved with more body english.

Other non-technique options without changing parts:
    - Lower stem stack height
    - Soften the fork LSC a click,
    - Decrease shock sag %
    - Adjust tire pressure

I prefer a low stack height, so I drop stem 10-15mm, use low rise (10mm) bars and run 0-1 clicks LSC keeping the front plush and free to dive a little for ‘everyday’ riding.
    And then just dial in a 2-3 clicks LSC for ‘racing’ when speeds are higher and I need more support from the fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluman8 View Post
    I feel like this is an issue of ‘sizing up’ that is not talked about...Too much reach to properly weight the front in general trail conditions. But easily solved with more body english.

- Decrease shock sag %
    - Adjust tire pressure

I prefer a low stack height, so I drop stem 10-15mm, use low rise (10mm) bars and run 0-1 clicks LSC keeping the front plush and free to dive a little for ‘everyday’ riding.
    And then just dial in a 2-3 clicks LSC for ‘racing’ when speeds are higher and I need more support from the fork.
    yes, yes, yes and more yes to this post. I was going to come in here and likely type way too many words to respond to kally's post but this one nails it.

Move your stem down in 5mm increments until you find a balance. You'll notice that most EWS and DH racers are constantly moving their stem up and down for the particular track they are racing. We as hobbiests won't generally do this and we'll find a happy medium and just set and forget.

I have been able to find a happy medium stem position and like you, I had to end up dropping my stem by 10mm from my initial starting point on the trance in order to ensure I had my weight on the front end.

Now, like Bluman8 mentions, I am able to just dial in a bit of compression damping to either end of the bike if I am going to be riding flow trails or if the situation dictates it.

mtbr member
    Using various mechanical means of "weighting the front" is a bit like getting weight onto the front of your skis. You could mount your bindings 6" forward, or you could just press your shins against your boots.

Don't get me wrong. Build your bike out however you want, and I'm not suggesting that these options - lower stack and such - are a bad thing, but I think it misses the point that you can control your body position to do these things while keeping the advantages of a more neutral "body position" build.

One of the results of using a dropper early on was that, if you get lazy and put your weight on the seat while cornering, you're going to take the weight off the front. The key is, don't get lazy. Put the weight where you want it without building the bike around positioning your body for you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Using various mechanical means of "weighting the front" is a bit like getting weight onto the front of your skis. You could mount your bindings 6" forward, or you could just press your shins against your boots.

Don't get me wrong. Build your bike out however you want, and I'm not suggesting that these options - lower stack and such - are a bad thing, but I think it misses the point that you can control your body position to do these things while keeping the advantages of a more neutral "body position" build.

One of the results of using a dropper early on was that, if you get lazy and put your weight on the seat while cornering, you're going to take the weight off the front. The key is, don't get lazy. Put the weight where you want it without building the bike around positioning your body for you.
    Disagree. But agree with always improving your technique, the rewards are always far greater. It’s about optimisation of the variables (including someone’s time to learn better technique)....

- Everythjng is on a spectrum and eventually even better technique is compensating for a “non-optimal” setup or geo.... I.e. anyone still riding a pre-modern geo bike.

- The key is to find the optimal setup (bike fit) that gives you the neutral body position that suits you, your tastes, riding style, deficiencies and injuries/disfunctions.

Everyones bike absolutely should be built around positioning their body for them.... that is exactly the point buying the right size bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Longer stem.

- Decrease shock sag %
    - Adjust tire pressure

I was told because of my short inseam, to get a small frame. I ended sizing up and getting a medium. Even sizing up, it was a little tall, but the reach was too short and my body position was a little too far back.

I got a $35 RaceFace Aeffect 35 stem - 60mm long. The stock stem on a medium frame was 45mm.

I got this stem because it was cheep, strong (forged) and not too heavy. It was cheep enough that if it was the length ended up being wrong, it was not a big loss.

The extra 15mm of length really helped the bike for me. Particularity on a steep slow climbs, it really helps keep the front of the bike on the ground and made the steering less twitchy. On the downhill runs, it put a little more weigh on the front and made it a little more stable for me.
    Last edited by Iyamdman; 1 Week Ago at 11:52 AM. Reason: Spelink

WillWorkForTrail
    This won't surprise anyone on this thread that owns a Trance 29, but I just wanted to drop in a post it. I rode some trails I know really well yesterday, but trails I don't ride very often anymore simply because they tend to be so crowded. It was the first time I've ridden there since I got the Trance. The Trance made those trails so much more fun than my old Anthem - mostly because I could play on all the stuff that puts you in the air and not have to worry about the frame breaking. So much fun...

mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Tool Kit for Trance Advanced Pro 29 - 2

I put together a Tool Kit specifically for my Trance Advanced Pro 29 -2.

You can find it here:

https://forums.mtbr.com/tooltime/too...r-1118271.html

2019 Trance 29-img_0591-101-j-s.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    How high is the bottom bracket? I would want to run a works angled headset to slacken the fork and steepen the seat tube angle. Looks like it would be win/win for this bike. But what about the bottom bracket height? Is it high enough for this experiment?

mtbr member
    Why do you want to change the angles on the bike? Giant got it pretty spot on in my experience. Having said that, it is quite low to begin with. I had to fit 170mm cranks to counter the pedal strikes I was getting, so lowering it further may not be a great idea

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    How high is the bottom bracket? I would want to run a works angled headset to slacken the fork and steepen the seat tube angle. Looks like it would be win/win for this bike. But what about the bottom bracket height? Is it high enough for this experiment?
    I'd say you'd want to run shorter cranks than you think if you lower the BB too much. Maybe you could get around that if you put a longer fork on with a slightly less angled headset to achieve the same angle without dropping the BB so much, but that's going to take away the steeper seat angle some as well.

What geo numbers are you trying to achieve? Is there a bike out there that has numbers like what you want? Frequently, if there is, it's better to go on and get that bike rather than trying to make another bike hit those numbers by compromising one place or another. I have to be honest - if you haven't ridden this bike yet, maybe just get a demo and try it. This bike really is very, very good, maybe the best bike below 130mm rear travel I've ever ridden.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've owned several Works headsets on various bikes. How exactly is it going to steepen the seat angle?

Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I've owned several Works headsets on various bikes. How exactly is it going to steepen the seat angle?
    Had to reread his comment aswell. Seems "counterintuitive", no?
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    It does steepen because as you make the front end slacker, you make tip the bike forwards, lowering the front end, BB and making STA steeper.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    ~ 335 mm.

Personally I don’t feel the T29 has a low BB. The 26” Anthem X is 320 mm, so you should be all good from BB height prospective.

The more interesting questions that I’m keen to know is what angleset fits Giant’s overdrive headtube and what angle can you get?

mtbr member
    ~ 335 mm.

Personally I don’t feel the T29 has a low BB. The 26” Anthem X is 320 mm, so you should be all good from BB height prospective.

The more interesting questions that I’m keen to know is what angleset fits Giant’s overdrive headtube and what angle can you get?
    Giant's website is down, which is annoying. It seems to be down a lot lately. Pretty nuts for such a large company.

Anyway, the trance 29 uses (i believe, don't quote me on the nomenclature here, website is down so i can't verify the marketing lingo) overdrive 2. Overdrive one is the stupid standard they made for a short period of time that was 1-1/4" - 1-1/2" tapered. OD2 is a standard 1-1/8" to 1-1/2 tapered steer tube.

Long story short, you can just use any normal headset that is appropriate for this frame (zero stack, can't remember the ID/OD, but it's the most standard headset these days that's not internal).

Regarding the angle set, I have also considered it. It would have a slight hit to the BB height and a slight steepening of the seat tube angle. W/e it does to the STA is going to be so minute it won't matter imo. If you end up doing it, please let me know what you think. It's been one of the questions in the back of my head. I do love how the trance has super precise steering and as a result, feels like a trail scalpel. However, sometimes in high speed chunk, it can feel a bit frantic and part of me wonders if a -1 degree headset would calm it down slightly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Giant's website is down, which is annoying. It seems to be down a lot lately. Pretty nuts for such a large company.

Anyway, the trance 29 uses (i believe, don't quote me on the nomenclature here, website is down so i can't verify the marketing lingo) overdrive 2. Overdrive one is the stupid standard they made for a short period of time that was 1-1/4" - 1-1/2" tapered. OD2 is a standard 1-1/8" to 1-1/2 tapered steer tube.

Long story short, you can just use any normal headset that is appropriate for this frame (zero stack, can't remember the ID/OD, but it's the most standard headset these days that's not internal).

Regarding the angle set, I have also considered it. It would have a slight hit to the BB height and a slight steepening of the seat tube angle. W/e it does to the STA is going to be so minute it won't matter imo. If you end up doing it, please let me know what you think. It's been one of the questions in the back of my head. I do love how the trance has super precise steering and as a result, feels like a trail scalpel. However, sometimes in high speed chunk, it can feel a bit frantic and part of me wonders if a -1 degree headset would calm it down slightly.
    Other way around, OD2 is the stupid 1-1/2 and 1-1/4 size. They mostly use OD 1-1/2 & 1-1/8 size now. But I’m more interested the angleset for my old Reign.

I’m keen to keep my T29 “as designed” for now. But agree with you, imo the STA change would barely be noticable. Quick calc indicates headtube would drop 3-4mm for -1 HA change, so likely less than +0.5 STA change.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    2019 Trance 29-img_1534.jpg

After ordering it back in February - I finally have an XL Trance 29! Donor bike can also be seen in the photo, a L 2019 Trance 29 1 gave up almost all of its parts to the 2020 Trance Advanced 29 2, I've also added a Syncros front mud guard, a Mud Hugger front guard to the rear of the bike - clears beautifully without being cut down at all.

Just need to look at some frame protection as the paint on this is so pretty!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Willdat? View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1534.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	295.2 KB 
ID:	1287099

After ordering it back in February - I finally have an XL Trance 29! Donor bike can also be seen in the photo, a L 2019 Trance 29 1 gave up almost all of its parts to the 2020 Trance Advanced 29 2, I've also added a Syncros front mud guard, a Mud Hugger front guard to the rear of the bike - clears beautifully without being cut down at all.

Yeah, that's a really nice color!

JT1
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Willdat? View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1534.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	295.2 KB 
ID:	1287099

Gorgeous bike, congratulations!

My 2019 Trance Advanced 29 Pro 2 came in a similar color and, because it served as a demo bike before it found its way to my home, came with significant frame protection. Not sure of the manufacturer, but clear in most spots and some pattern in other spots.

2019 Trance 29-2019-giant-trance-advanced-pro-2.jpg

mid-apocalypse
    My Advanced 1 arrives in 4 days. About to pee my pants in anticipation. I'll report back when I receive it if I actually peed myself, and bike weight.

Hoping that these old XX cranks I have kicking around fit without issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TooMuchCoffeeMan View Post
    Hoping that these old XX cranks I have kicking around fit without issue.
    Are they DUB?

If not, you'd need a new BB.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 15 Hours Ago at 06:22 AM.

mtbr member
    It's even better if they're not haha
    Just get the aluminium machined thread in BB from Aliexpress and you're golden.
    It takes either Shimano 24mm spindle or GXP (with a shim) and you can just replace 6805-2RS bearings when it's time.

Something like this:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3302...chweb201603_52

The cost is half of the SRAM or Shimano pressfit BB and new bearings are easily replacable and cheap, there's less chance of creaking and you don't need any BB press or extractor, just screw it together using regular BB wrench.

DUB is POS with proprietary and too small bearings.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    It's even better if they're not haha
    Just get the aluminium machined thread in BB from Aliexpress and you're golden.
    It takes either Shimano 24mm spindle or GXP (with a shim) and you can just replace 6805-2RS bearings when it's time.

Something like this:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3302...chweb201603_52

The cost is half of the SRAM or Shimano pressfit BB and new bearings are easily replacable and cheap, there's less chance of creaking and you don't need any BB press or extractor, just screw it together using regular BB wrench.

DUB is POS with proprietary and too small bearings.

Hmmm. That looks interesting.

So, assuming you've got experience with that BB, does the tightening/torquing of each sleeve/cup hold it tight together? Do you thread lock it?

I've had zero issues with my Shimano cranks and PF BBs, but at times wanted to try a SRAM BB but stayed away due to the whole bearing issue.

I suppose it does not work the the newer SRAM DUB?

Who's got legs that strong where a 24mm spindle isn't enough?

mtbr member
    Ive used a wheels mfg thread together pressfit to GXP conversion on another frame. I am not a huge fan of the thread together conversions in general. They absolutely do come loose over time and must be checked, if you forget to check them, they can oval out your pressfit frame and trash the frame. That almost happened to me.

I honestly have zero issues with dub. I was not a PF30 or bb30 fan at all, however dub has proven to be reliable, maintenance free and a moderate to significant performance improvement over GXP (weight) without a cost hit.

mtbr member
    Ah yes!

"Crankset :For shinnano 24/24mm crankset"

I love Shinano. When I was in NYC, I got a genuine Bolex watch for $10!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567