Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: 2019 Trance 29

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I'll repost my initial experience just to reinforce what I think was the right choice on your part:

"I'm in the process of demo-ing 29ers and rode a Yeti SB100, medium, GX Comp build. It came in at 29.2 pounds with XT Trail pedals. A section of a climb that my previous best time of 27:17 came out at 25:53 on this. But, the downhill section was not so nice. The front end tended to ricochet all over the place. I have that review on the Yeti SB100 forum. I plan to demo the SB130.

Yesterday, I got my hands on the Trance 29-2. It comes in at a whopping 32.2 pounds in this build, with the only mod being that it has 2.4" Conti Trail Kings....which actually saves some weight!

I set it up at 11mm of sag, and used slightly less than the recommended pressure on the Fox Rhythm fork (68psi). The Trail King 2.4" is a legit 2.4" and I ran the front at 19psi, rear at 22psi. It sure looks like 2.6" tires would fit fine on this frame.

A couple of things:
    I was pretty tired after 5 days of hard, but short, one hour rides in a row.
    I was also pretty disheartened by the massive weight of this bike, and that affected my initial enthusiasm....negatively.

Toward the end of the ride, I was beginning to "get into" riding it, though.
    The 100mm of travel on the SB100 felt like 100mm of fairly stiff travel.
    The 115mm of travel on the Trance really did feel like more. It is going to "bob" more than the SB100, if you mash the pedals, but if you are relatively smooth (like average or better) I really don't think this is an issue. I would generally only ride this bike in the fully open position.

Toward the end of my ride, on the last 25+ minutes of climb, the times I've posted are:

SB5c: 27:17
    SB100: 25:53
    29-2: 26:35

So, this led sled of a Trance build was only 32 seconds slower than the SB100, and faster than my completely dialed in - 6 pounds lighter - SB5c. That impresses the SH*T out of me, frankly!

Also, with the "Lower end" Fox Rhythm it descended really well. It felt more smooth and confident (the extra 1.5 degrees of slackness in the HTA, maybe) than the SB100.
    All in all, I'm thinking good thoughts about this bike. If you have the 29-2, you have one hell of a good "bang for the buck" piece of kit."

I ended up buying and modifying a Trance Advanced 29 Pro 1 - and then immediately laid down a dozen or so PR's. And I have nothing against Yeti, as I have an SB5c, but I'd own a stock 29 2 alloy before I'd get a higher end SB100.
    That's awesome - I've been following your posts while waiting for my frame to arrive. While I never had a chance to demo and SB100, I have no regrets from the initial shakedown ride on the Giant.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by rotorwind View Post
    Lots of good info here. I've demo'd the Trance 3 times and still trying to decide between it and the tallboy. Like the Trance better on rough stuff and docents. Like the way the tallboy climbs and turns.

I'm a bigger guy 225 pounds so the converstation about the shock pressures with heavier riders is concerning. Does Giant publish a max rider weight? I couldnt find one.

thanks

I'm pretty sure the limit is 300lbs (believe that is what someone told me) anyways.. you'll be fine (imho) I'm 6'3" 260lbs and riding a Trance Advanced 2 (2018) just set the sag properly for your weight..

will stuff wear quicker?? maybe .. but the bike will be fine..

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by atarione View Post
    I'm pretty sure the limit is 300lbs (believe that is what someone told me) anyways.. you'll be fine (imho) I'm 6'3" 260lbs and riding a Trance Advanced 2 (2018) just set the sag properly for your weight..

will stuff wear quicker?? maybe .. but the bike will be fine..
    Sounds food. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alpine Rider (Italy)
    actual rear travel is 125mm, measured by german magazine "Bike".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 30x26 View Post
    actual rear travel is 125mm, measured by german magazine "Bike".
    Care to elaborate? What magazine? Site? DPS and DPX2?

mtbr member
    every mfg measures travel differently. I haven't seen said article, but many MFG's list the vertical travel only and don't tell you the total travel of the axle path. You can measure travel a few different ways, but needless to say very few bikes are the actual dead nuts stated travel amount.

That being said, it seems odd that this would be true. Giant sold this with a fairly non-standard rear travel figure (115mm). It would seem strange to have an actual 125 if they were already ok with bucking the 100-120-130-140mm step trend.

Alpine Rider (Italy)
    Care to elaborate? What magazine? Site? DPS and DPX2?
    vertical travel at the rear axel , it was an aluminium trance 1 with float performance elite.

2019 Trance 29-screenshot_20190204-000635.jpg

2019 Trance 29-screenshot_20190204-001439.jpg

mtbr member
    vertical travel at the rear axel , it was an aluminium trance 1 with float performance elite.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190204-000635.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	1236506

Name:	Screenshot_20190204-001439.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	1236508
    Interesting. I should try to measure that on mine, but I'm not sure how accurately I can do it.
    I'm glad it was sehr gut!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for sharing part of the German magazine test. Interesting content. I've translated the score sheet to English below. I'm interested in what models the Canyon, Scott and Intense bikes were. I'd be keen on seeing the page for the Scott. Particularly if it is a Spark 900 series bike as I am trying to decide between the Trance and the Spark and have not found much in the way of comparison on the web.
    2019 Trance 29-2019-02-05_0-07-07.jpg

Alpine Rider (Italy)
    bergamot contrail elite, canyon neuron 9.0sl, gt sensor expert, giant trance 1 alu, radon skeen trail 10, scott spark 920, specialided stumpjumper short travel comp carbon, superior xf 999tr , intense primer expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    every mfg measures travel differently. I haven't seen said article, but many MFG's list the vertical travel only and don't tell you the total travel of the axle path. You can measure travel a few different ways, but needless to say very few bikes are the actual dead nuts stated travel amount.

That being said, it seems odd that this would be true. Giant sold this with a fairly non-standard rear travel figure (115mm). It would seem strange to have an actual 125 if they were already ok with bucking the 100-120-130-140mm step trend.
    I too am skeptical that the actual travel would be 125mm and not 115mm. Doesnt mean it's not true, I am simply skeptical. Most people were hoping for/expecting Giant's new 29er would be in the 130mm vacinity, so I wouldn't think they would want to publish it was 115mm if it was actually more.

Pretty hard to measure, but I imagine current owners will do their best to try...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If anyone has access to one of those stands that goes into the hollow crank spindle it would be easy to measure.
    OG Ripley v2

Alpine Rider (Italy)
    no stand needed. put the bike upside down , handlebar and saddle touching the ground. adjust saddle so that axels are at the same height. measure distance of rear axle from ground, deflate and compress shock, measure again. add a few mm to the difference (inner bumper not compressed...)
    "bike" measures bikes from years into their own laboratory, i consider them a reliable source. another bike gave an unexpected result: canyon nerve has 140mm instead of 130.

mtbr member
    I joined the club over the weekend. I ended up picking up an XL advance pro 2 from my LBS (shout-out to The Path Bike Shop) and started swapping parts over.

I weighed it fresh out of the shop with no pedals. XL Adv Pro 2 29 - 28.6 lbs

I bought a few things at the shop to swap to this bike, and had a few things sitting around. Currently, my build is at 28.36 with pedals. I've got some plans for the future that will bring that weight down 27.7 with the 2.3 minions installed. My plan is for this to be my trail bike, XCO race bike and xc marathon bike. I'll keep another carbon wheelset around with 600-700g tires so that for xc race days, it will be just under 27lbs.

I'm not fully done rearranging things and doing little things like applying frame protection in key areas, so no photos yet. Unfortunately it's raining buckets here in socal so I may not even be able to ride it this week.

Build:
    Frame: XL - Adv Pro 2 - Grey
    Fork: Fox 34 Rhythm 130mm
    Wheels: Stock TRX 1 29
    Tires: Stock Dual Compound DHF/DHR - 2.3 (Will be replaced with 3c Tires)
    Brakes: Guide Ultimate
    Seatpost: Giant Contact Switch S - Wolftooth Lever
    Seat: WTB Silverado Pro
    Crankset: Truvativ Descendent 6k Eagle Dub (Will be replaced by Carbon Truvative - 150g)
    Shifter: X01 Eagle
    Derailleur: GX Eagle
    Cassette: GX Eagle
    Chain: GX Eagle
    Handlebar: Raceface Six6 - 780mm, 31.8, 19mm Rise
    Stem: ODI Flight Control - 50mm (Will get changed to syntance Megaforce 2 -70g)
    Grips: ESI Chunky

Long/Short Term plans:
    -Fox 34 Factory - 130mm Fork
    -Fox DPX 2 Factory
    -Truativ Descendent Carbon Eagle Dub Crankset
    -Syntace Megaforce 2 Stem
    -X01 Eagle Cassette

Can't wait to ride this thing...

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    How do you plan on getting DPX2? I have the same bike and would love to get one but donít know how to track one down in that size. Also - what did you do to swap from NX to GX. Saw you have stock wheel set and didnít think the hub was compatible. I also have the grey. Looks awesome

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vicjoe View Post
    How do you plan on getting DPX2? I have the same bike and would love to get one but donít know how to track one down in that size. Also - what did you do to swap from NX to GX. Saw you have stock wheel set and didnít think the hub was compatible. I also have the grey. Looks awesome
    I had the cash on-hand to buy the Pro 1 model, but I just couldn't love the green. While the suspension upgrade seemed some what worth it, it was the performance version of the fork so it wasn't the fit 4 damper, and the performance version of the shock so 3 position compression instead of discrete LSC. Ultimately this move will cost me more, but the grey color looks so damn good.

Regarding shock, I'll source that through my LBS. I haven't quite figured out exactly how to accomplish it but I've got a few ideas. One, having my LBS call fox to figure out what parts limit the travel of the dpx2 on the trance and the evil the following MB by 2.5mm (see below).

If all else fails, I'll buy one of those, take it apart and make it myself. I've done that before in the past so I'm confident I can get that done. I'm open to other options (and brands) to be sure but I figure I have the best shot at getting a dpx2 to work since they accomplished that on the pro 1 model already.

I know a few locals with in the know knowledge of this stuff that are involved in testing suspension for the major brands, including Giant. So I'm hoping to be able to pump them for info.

If all else fails, lots of beers and time looking at the shocks taken apart in my garage will have to suffice.

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/col...e-following-mb

Edit... if absolutely all else fails, i'll just order up a topaz t2 from DVO... it is available directly from them off their website. http://dvosuspension.com/product/topaz-2/

Edit #2... I forgot to mention the rear hub driver. These are dt370 hubs, so any driver compatible with those will work with these.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I had the cash on-hand to buy the Pro 1 model, but I just couldn't love the green. While the suspension upgrade seemed some what worth it, it was the performance version of the fork so it wasn't the fit 4 damper, and the performance version of the shock so 3 position compression instead of discrete LSC. Ultimately this move will cost me more, but the grey color looks so damn good.

Regarding shock, I'll source that through my LBS. I haven't quite figured out exactly how to accomplish it but I've got a few ideas. One, having my LBS call fox to figure out what parts limit the travel of the dpx2 on the trance and the evil the following MB by 2.5mm (see below).

If all else fails, I'll buy one of those, take it apart and make it myself. I've done that before in the past so I'm confident I can get that done. I'm open to other options (and brands) to be sure but I figure I have the best shot at getting a dpx2 to work since they accomplished that on the pro 1 model already.

I know a few locals with in the know knowledge of this stuff that are involved in testing suspension for the major brands, including Giant. So I'm hoping to be able to pump them for info.

If all else fails, lots of beers and time looking at the shocks taken apart in my garage will have to suffice.

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/col...e-following-mb

Edit... if absolutely all else fails, i'll just order up a topaz t2 from DVO... it is available directly from them off their website. http://dvosuspension.com/product/topaz-2/

Edit #2... I forgot to mention the rear hub driver. These are dt370 hubs, so any driver compatible with those will work with these.
    Thanks for clarifying on the wheelset/hub compatiblity. Maybe it was the aluminum model wheelsets that had the hub compatibility issue for upgrading to GX. Hadn't considered the Topaz 2 purchase. Thanks for the link. Wonder how this compares to the DPX2

mtbr member
    I imagine the DPX 2 is readily available. After all, if you damage the original, there must be a replacement available from fox. I have the Pro 1, but I thought the Rhythm fork was fine and, when I demo'd the 29 2, I was meticulous in setting up the DPS and thought it worked really well, at my 150 pounds. Nice job getting the weight down.

monster member
    I joined the club over the weekend. I ended up picking up an XL advance pro 2 from my LBS (shout-out to The Path Bike Shop) and started swapping parts over. ....

Can't wait to ride this thing...
    Congrats! You'll love it. Don't wait for perfect weather, just take it out for a mud ride. :-) Please post up when you change to an XD drive, because I'd like to do the same thing after putting a season or so on my current NX cassette.

For the shock, I'd be amazed if in a few months or so we couldn't just order a shock of whatever style we want through Giant, Fox, or DVO for a Giant Trance.

Also, as you take stuff off, if it's convenient I'm curious of weights for stuff that isn't posted. (I know the SRAM NX and GX stuff is already posted everywhere.) Like the bar. Is it really pretty heavy?

I guess for my part I can throw some things in the ring that I haven't posted yet:
    Saddle, Giant Contact Neutral...................................... 307g.
    Bolt + lock washer for mounting saddle onto seatpost......16g/pair. M6x30
    Bolt + washer for front brake caliper..............................22g/pair. M6x39
    Stock lock-on grips............................................. ........90g/pair. (With lock-ons, no bar-end caps)
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    [QUOTE=Wheelspeed;13974700]Congrats! You'll love it. Don't wait for perfect weather, just take it out for a mud ride. :-)

Mud riding in SoCal = NO BUENO.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspeed View Post
    Congrats! You'll love it. Don't wait for perfect weather, just take it out for a mud ride. :-) Please post up when you change to an XD drive, because I'd like to do the same thing after putting a season or so on my current NX cassette.

For the shock, I'd be amazed if in a few months or so we couldn't just order a shock of whatever style we want through Giant, Fox, or DVO for a Giant Trance.

Also, as you take stuff off, if it's convenient I'm curious of weights for stuff that isn't posted. (I know the SRAM NX and GX stuff is already posted everywhere.) Like the bar. Is it really pretty heavy?

I guess for my part I can throw some things in the ring that I haven't posted yet:
    Saddle, Giant Contact Neutral...................................... 307g.
    Bolt + lock washer for mounting saddle onto seatpost......16g/pair. M6x30
    Bolt + washer for front brake caliper..............................22g/pair. M6x39
    Stock lock-on grips............................................. ........90g/pair. (With lock-ons, no bar-end caps)
    A few of the weights from my Trance 2 Allow

Stem: Giant Contact SL - 160grs or so.
    Bar: Giant Contact Trail Rise 780mm - 330grs
    Saddle: Giant Contact Neutral - 309grs

I did post the weights on the stock wheels somewhere in this thread.

I did not weight the other components like fork, dropper, brakes or crankset only things that came out "easily"

I did think about lightening up a bit more but other than the bar, I can't see much weight savings without spending big bucks... like crankset, fork, brakes.

The Giant dropper has a very decent weight too from what I have read. Not much heavier than a Fox Transfer.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    no stand needed. put the bike upside down , handlebar and saddle touching the ground. adjust saddle so that axels are at the same height. measure distance of rear axle from ground, deflate and compress shock, measure again. add a few mm to the difference (inner bumper not compressed...)
    "bike" measures bikes from years into their own laboratory, i consider them a reliable source. another bike gave an unexpected result: canyon nerve has 140mm instead of 130.
    Well, if it does measure out to 125mm that would explain why a lot of reviews say it rides bigger then it's numbers!

EDIT: and if so, maybe they are marketing geniuses. With the abundance of bikes out there, it's hard to differentiate, yet "short travel 29er that punches bigger than its numbers" certainly creates a nice little niche. It certainly caught my attention, lol
    Last edited by RAG2; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:31 PM.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG2 View Post
    Well, if it does measure out to 125mm that would explain why a lot of reviews say it rides bigger then it's numbers!
    It does pedal like a 115mm bike for sure!

Giant did a good job with the suspension on this bike.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    It does pedal like a 115mm bike for sure!

Giant did a good job with the suspension on this bike.
    And maybe/probably that's all that should matter! Can't wait to get on one for a demo...

mtbr member
    I finally completed my trance last night. This is the first time I've really gone OCD and spent tons of time getting everything perfect. I must have cut the rear brake line 4 separate times to get it to perfectly line up with the rear derailleur cable.

One thing I did notice is that there does seem to be some more room for rear wheel travel when the shock is totally bottomed out. This suggests to me that similarly to the previous generation trance 27.5, this bike could be long shocked with a 165x45mm travel shock. I'm guessing that the adv pro 1 and the pro 0 are using 165x45mm shocks with a travel reducing spacer in them. This creates the opportunity for this to get left out on accident and potentially long shock the bike from the factory on accident. With a 3-3.5/1 leverage ratio, this would put you damn close to 125mm.

Either way, it should be fairly simple to get a 45mm stroke shock and limit the travel which would open up shock options on this frame substantially. I'm going to have my lbs look into it.

WillWorkForTrail
    I thought I'd chime in. No pictures, because I'm lazy and not in front of a computer enough to take time to post them (too busy building trail) but my Trance 29 Advanced 1 came in last week. I had the shop take the minions off of it, and put some 2.6 Rekon EXO TR alphabet soup tires on it. With a set of 1Up pedals and large size Ergon grips, my XL weighs 28 lbs 5 oz ready to rip. And rip it does. I've had two chances to ride it and get some basic tuning done, and it's only getting better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I thought I'd chime in. No pictures, because I'm lazy and not in front of a computer enough to take time to post them (too busy building trail) but my Trance 29 Advanced 1 came in last week. I had the shop take the minions off of it, and put some 2.6 Rekon EXO TR alphabet soup tires on it. With a set of 1Up pedals and large size Ergon grips, my XL weighs 28 lbs 5 oz ready to rip. And rip it does. I've had two chances to ride it and get some basic tuning done, and it's only getting better.
    What width do the Rekons come in at? I'm guessing that even if they are right at 2.6" there's still plenty of room.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Thinking of taking the plunge on a Trance 29 2, budget is tight. One point that is putting me off is the NX group. Taking a look at a Orbea Occam TR h10 with full GX for £200 more in a couple of weeks. Local BS is Giant and Orbea dealer is a few hours away.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doktor19 View Post
    Thinking of taking the plunge on a Trance 29 2, budget is tight. One point that is putting me off is the NX group. Taking a look at a Orbea Occam TR h10 with full GX for £200 more in a couple of weeks. Local BS is Giant and Orbea dealer is a few hours away.

Cheers
    Buy the bike you like more. Don't worry about GX Vs. NX. GX is lighter, but NX works fine. Invest the £200 and then take the £180 you have after the market crash in two years and buy a GX cassette.

edit: just looked at the Orbea Occam TR M10 - didn't see an h10. If weight really is an issue, for $2999, on sale, I don't see how you can beat it. It's probably 3 pounds lighter than the Giant.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 1 Week Ago at 02:23 PM.

WillWorkForTrail
    What width do the Rekons come in at? I'm guessing that even if they are right at 2.6" there's still plenty of room.
    There's plenty of room. My gut, looking at the tires, was that they might be an honest 2.5 in width, but I got a second yesterday after I got the plugs changed in the car and threw a set of calipers on them - 2.489. But - they look like the size tire the bike was intended to run. Everyone agrees the size looks right on this bike. Also, having about 20 miles on the bike with those tires on it, I'd say so far they work really well. I'll hold off judgement until it's drier here as to whether they really out-roll some of the other stuff I've ridden, but they certainly work well on damp roots and trails that stay slick this time of year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Good call on the Rekon 2.6s...I was thinking those would be ideal medium-weight tires with better rolling resistance. While I love DHR/DHF combo on my 140mm and 160mm bikes (in the WT itterations)...I'd be looking for slightly lighter and faster rolling combos on a rig like this, for most conditions anyways. The Rekon 2.6s, or 2.6 in front and tougher 2.4 out back ought to be ideal. Alternatively, I'd be okay with a pair of Forkasters for all but the loosest conditions.

mtbr member
    There's plenty of room. My gut, looking at the tires, was that they might be an honest 2.5 in width, but I got a second yesterday after I got the plugs changed in the car and threw a set of calipers on them - 2.489. But - they look like the size tire the bike was intended to run. Everyone agrees the size looks right on this bike. Also, having about 20 miles on the bike with those tires on it, I'd say so far they work really well. I'll hold off judgement until it's drier here as to whether they really out-roll some of the other stuff I've ridden, but they certainly work well on damp roots and trails that stay slick this time of year.
    This may be your experience as well, My 29x2.3" alphabet non-DD DHR2's were under 2.3", but after a few days at max pressure and dropping the pressure back down, they come in at 2.3".

monster member

Cheers
    Most parts you're worried about being NX are parts that you'll replace someday anyway. Certainly can use the NX through the muddy spring to put some wear on the chain and cassette before changing. I had XT stuff on my old bike, so was used to crisp shifting, but I'm not minding the NX that came on my new one. I'll upgrade some of the wear-parts as they get some miles on them. I wouldn't choose the type of bike simply by NX or GX.
    Have fun!

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspeed View Post
    Most parts you're worried about being NX are parts that you'll replace someday anyway. Certainly can use the NX through the muddy spring to put some wear on the chain and cassette before changing. I had XT stuff on my old bike, so was used to crisp shifting, but I'm not minding the NX that came on my new one. I'll upgrade some of the wear-parts as they get some miles on them. I wouldn't choose the type of bike simply by NX or GX.
    Agreed... but just a reminder that should he want to go GX he has to factor a different hub or freewheel. He can go XT/XTR with the same, though.
    Check my Site

WillWorkForTrail
    This may be your experience as well, My 29x2.3" alphabet non-DD DHR2's were under 2.3", but after a few days at max pressure and dropping the pressure back down, they come in at 2.3".
    I've wondered about that, but not sure exactly when the shop installed them. They'd likely been on the bike for at least a week when I measured, but probably only at 20-25 PSI. I've been shocked to be able to get my front tire down that low, and the rear is only a little higher. I used to run 26f 28r on my old bike with 2.4/2.25.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Flow Mountain Bike have just received an Advanced 0 for a long term test

https://flowmountainbike.com/tests/j...ed-pro-29er-0/

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Tech View Post

Cant wait! Sounds like they feel there are lots of people (like me) that already have a trail bike and might want to lean this short travel bike a little more toward the xc and light trail spectrum, so they are gonna modify it with some lighter kit. Exactly what I'd like to see!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Cant wait! Sounds like they feel there are lots of people (like me) that already have a trail bike and might want to lean this short travel bike a little more toward the xc and light trail spectrum, so they are gonna modify it with some lighter kit. Exactly what I'd like to see!
    Exactly what I'm doing, as my Trance 29er pro 1 is my one and only MTB, so I use it for short XC racing, marathon XC races, general trail riding, and enduro type riding.

I leaned my pro 1 out for xc riding by swapping over to an ardent race / ikon tyre combo, plus race face next R carbon bar, X01 carbon crankset, X01 cassette, xtr pedals.
    Now its very similar to the pro 0 model, for a lot less $$

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by snowfly View Post
    Exactly what I'm doing, as my Trance 29er pro 1 is my one and only MTB, so I use it for short XC racing, marathon XC races, general trail riding, and enduro type riding.

I leaned my pro 1 out for xc riding by swapping over to an ardent race / ikon tyre combo, plus race face next R carbon bar, X01 carbon crankset, X01 cassette, xtr pedals.
    Now its very similar to the pro 0 model, for a lot less $$
    Pretty good $/gram value in those maneuvers you did...depending on how much you can sell the parts for.

I will also consider wheelset, carbon dropper and brakes (been wanting the Trickstuff Piccola anyways), but
    Value ($/gr) starts to get a little rough on these upgrades.

monster member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Tech View Post

Sounds cool. No sense choosing wheels or fork that make it lose its all-around goodness though. For keeping its all-around capabilities, I think InVeloVeritas (page 5 here) may have already beat them to the punch! :-)
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I am thinking about putting 2.6s on my trance as well, most likely Bontrager XR4s, anyway, have you notice if the bike is any less "agile" with the slightly wider tire? That is my only concern as I have been pleasantly surprised how agile the bike feels and I don't want to lose that.

Thanks!

I've wondered about that, but not sure exactly when the shop installed them. They'd likely been on the bike for at least a week when I measured, but probably only at 20-25 PSI. I've been shocked to be able to get my front tire down that low, and the rear is only a little higher. I used to run 26f 28r on my old bike with 2.4/2.25.

mtbr member
    I got my second ride on the trance 29 advanced last night. The first ride was a classic socal trail called San Juan Trail. I made some estimations on suspension setup and turned out to be off base which made the bike harsh. The below photos are from that ride. I digress, I'm starting to dial into the setup and I'll post my settings when I get home tonight and can write them down.

A few notes from my initial build. I transferred over my speedtuned exile carbon wheels from my hightower to this build initially just to do a better comparison to my hightower. This allowed me to ride the bike with the same tire setup (2.5 3c DHF Front - 2.3 3c DHR rear) and do a more direct comparison to the frame/suspension performance of both bikes. On my second ride last night, I swapped to the trx 1 wheels with a 2.3 DHF on front, the 2.5 DHF is way overkill for this bike and made it feel a bit monster trucky.

I digress, the ride last night was gnarly. I was the "slow guy" in this group and on the least capable bike by spec, both of which are sorta rare for me. The trails were incredibly steep to the point of grabbing the brakes as hard as I could, and rubbing the tire with my ass because it was so steep. The other guys were on hightower LTs, nomads, sentinals etc. Incredibly, the trance held it's own and I didn't feel like it was holding me back at all. This bike is damn near as capable as my hightower LT was and it continues to blow my mind. I definitely rode to the bikes limit several times in terms of chunk. For example, there were several rollers steep/large enough to hit chain ring and mandatory drops, into steep chutes that would have been too steep to walk down.

Loving this bike... Definitely going to take some more weight off of it and continue to hone in on the perfect trail/xc slayer.

2019 Trance 29-img_20190208_110528.jpg

2019 Trance 29-img_20190208_110542.jpg

2019 Trance 29-img_20190208_123256.jpg

2019 Trance 29-img_20190208_135121.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Name:	IMG_20190208_110528.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	440.2 KB 
ID:	1238062
    That color looks killer

Nice ride

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by ejabbale View Post
    I am thinking about putting 2.6s on my trance as well, most likely Bontrager XR4s, anyway, have you notice if the bike is any less "agile" with the slightly wider tire? That is my only concern as I have been pleasantly surprised how agile the bike feels and I don't want to lose that.

Thanks!
    So, hereís what I can tell you. I personally dislike minions, theyíre basically downhill tires and way overkill for the pedally trails I ride most of the time. Even when I have long descents, I donít feel like they offer much more in the way of usable grip to me over other tires Iíve used. So, I had my shop swap the tires at brand new, I never even set eyes on the bike with minions on it. That said, this bike does not feel at all sluggish in the handling department.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ejabbale View Post

Thanks!
    I think a lot of people will want to change out tires for their intended use with this bike, which is fine...tires are tires. I ran the 2.3" DHF up front for a long time, and it's okay. Pretty skinny. I just weighed one I have...950grams, so not light. For a front tire, the casing is a little tougher than I need on a short travel bike.

I'm in the process of ordering a couple sets of tires to lighten up my current bike, which I will be transferring over to the Trance 29er if I pull the trigger. I'll probably get a set of skinnier tires and pair of larger volume, leaning towards middle weight tires and ideally little tougher casing on back tire. For the larger volume, I'm leaning 2.4 Rekon rear and 2.6 Forekaster front, and probably Ardent Race R/Forekaster 2.35 F for skinnier, which I've ran before and liked. Below are the contenders (with claimed weights) I think would be good candidates to lighten this bike up a little:

Rear:
    Rekon 2.25 Exo (670), Ardent Race Exo 2.35 (745), Vittoria Barzo TNT 2.35 (745g), Forekaster 2.35 exo (735), Rekon 2.4 exo 60TPI (800g), XR4 2.4 (850).

Front:
    Forekaster 2.35 (745),Butcher Control 2.3 (810g), Vittoria Goma 2.4 non-tnt (780), vittoria Morsa non-tnt 2.3 (big for 2.3, 830g), XR4 w.4 (850), rekon 2.6 (780g), Forekaster 2.6 (840)

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Hoping for feedback from owners who have made chain ring changes since they got their new Trance. Has anyone tried or could verify if the wider diameter of an SRAM Oval or AB Oval 34 tooth chain ring would clear the chain stays on the aluminum Trance 29 frame?

I am planning to pickup a Trance 29 2 when I get back home to Nepal in a couple of months. I plan to slowly upgrade it to drop the weight for climbing long Himalayan climbs and then bombing back down again. I want to buy a larger chain ring while I am here in the US for a couple months. Based upon my terrain and personal preferences from past bikes I want a 34 tooth. I also want to give oval chain rings a try as 1000-3000 foot climbs are pretty common here. Thus the question above as I can't measure the frame clearance myself as the frame is on the opposite of the world.
    Last edited by ridermtb; 5 Days Ago at 12:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ridermtb View Post
    Hoping for feedback from owners who have made chain ring changes since they got their new Trance. Has anyone tried or could verify if the wider diameter of an SRAM Oval or AB Oval 34 tooth chain ring would clear the chain stays on the aluminum Trance 29 frame?

I am planning to pickup a Trance 29 2 when I get back home to Nepal in a couple of months. I plan to slowly upgrade it to drop the weight for climbing long Himalayan climbs and then bombing back down again. I want to buy a larger chain ring while I am here in the US for a couple months. Based upon my terrain and personal preferences from past bikes I want a 34 tooth. I also want to give oval chain rings a try as 1000-3000 foot climbs are pretty common here. Thus the question above as I can't measure the frame clearance myself as the frame is on the opposite of the world.
    I have installed a 34t aluminium chainring, no issue with a chainstay clearance(but I do not have an oval), 34t is ideal for my riding style. I have also changed the front brake rotor to 203mm and guide brakes feels really great and powerfull now. I am wating for a new saddle, wtb silverado pro, right now :-).

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thank you both for the replies, I am sure that I am overthinking it. I'm going to give them a shot and see what I think.

So, hereís what I can tell you. I personally dislike minions, theyíre basically downhill tires and way overkill for the pedally trails I ride most of the time. Even when I have long descents, I donít feel like they offer much more in the way of usable grip to me over other tires Iíve used. So, I had my shop swap the tires at brand new, I never even set eyes on the bike with minions on it. That said, this bike does not feel at all sluggish in the handling department.
    I think a lot of people will want to change out tires for their intended use with this bike, which is fine...tires are tires. I ran the 2.3" DHF up front for a long time, and it's okay. Pretty skinny. I just weighed one I have...950grams, so not light. For a front tire, the casing is a little tougher than I need on a short travel bike.

I'm in the process of ordering a couple sets of tires to lighten up my current bike, which I will be transferring over to the Trance 29er if I pull the trigger. I'll probably get a set of skinnier tires and pair of larger volume, leaning towards middle weight tires and ideally little tougher casing on back tire. For the larger volume, I'm leaning 2.4 Rekon rear and 2.6 Forekaster front, and probably Ardent Race R/Forekaster 2.35 F for skinnier, which I've ran before and liked. Below are the contenders (with claimed weights) I think would be good candidates to lighten this bike up a little:

Rear:
    Rekon 2.25 Exo (670), Ardent Race Exo 2.35 (745), Vittoria Barzo TNT 2.35 (745g), Forekaster 2.35 exo (735), Rekon 2.4 exo 60TPI (800g), XR4 2.4 (850).

Front:
    Forekaster 2.35 (745),Butcher Control 2.3 (810g), Vittoria Goma 2.4 non-tnt (780), vittoria Morsa non-tnt 2.3 (big for 2.3, 830g), XR4 w.4 (850), rekon 2.6 (780g), Forekaster 2.6 (840)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridermtb View Post

I'm surprised that you'd want a 34 tooth oval for climbing at the altitudes there. What are you looking at in that regard? I have an Advanced Pro 29 1 down to just over 26 pounds with a 30 tooth AB and it's perfect. I live in the Wasatch and most climbs start at 7000 feet ending at about 10,000 feet. A 34 tooth would be pretty uncomfortable on the climb, and I don't need the speed because of gravity.

mtbr member
    Warp, are saying that you went with an xt 11spd drivetrain?

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by jhtopilko View Post
    Warp, are saying that you went with an xt 11spd drivetrain?
    Yes. I sold the NX and put a Shimano XT M8000 group on it.
    Exact set up:
    - Shimano XT RD-M8000 Rear Derailleur, medium cage.
    - Shimano XT CS-M8000 cassette, 11-42t
    - Shimano Ultegra 11sp chain
    - Shimano XTR SL-M9000 shifter.
    - Truvativ Descendant 6K DUB crankset, 30t chainring (Stock on Trance 29 2)

The NX uses a Shimano-type freewheel, the cassette weighs a ton and I don't need the 50t cog. Our place is very flat and the 30-42 serves me well.

Should you want to upgrade a Trance 29er 2 to GX, you need a new (XD compatible) freehub.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Yes. I sold the NX and put a Shimano XT M8000 group on it.
    Exact set up:
    - Shimano XT RD-M8000 Rear Derailleur, medium cage.
    - Shimano XT CS-M8000 cassette, 11-42t
    - Shimano Ultegra 11sp chain
    - Shimano XTR SL-M9000 shifter.
    - Truvativ Descendant 6K DUB crankset, 30t chainring (Stock on Trance 29 2)

The NX uses a Shimano-type freewheel, the cassette weighs a ton and I don't need the 50t cog. Our place is very flat and the 30-42 serves me well.

Should you want to upgrade a Trance 29er 2 to GX, you need a new (XD compatible) freehub.
    That makes sense. I've thought of putting my NX Eagle on my son's bike, because 42T is usually enough for me. And for the same reason, of having no XD drivers on any of the wheelsets in my possession. The cost of GX 11spd cassette is 186 CAD so it hasn't given me reason to consider it, when I only have one wheelset that I can easily get a driver for, my Hope PRO4s.
    TCX advanced SX

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Just about to take the plunge on a Trance 29 2 this week. Will keep it stock for now but would like to upgrade the cassette to GX in the future, does anyone know if this means a complete new wheel?

mtbr member
    Just about to take the plunge on a Trance 29 2 this week. Will keep it stock for now but would like to upgrade the cassette to GX in the future, does anyone know if this means a complete new wheel?
    No. You will need to order an XD driver for the rear freehub from giant through your local giant dealer. This should be about 50-70 dollars. Some giant dealers may have a set of TRX wheels on the rack that they can just swap for you as you buy the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Wheels on the Trance 2 Alloy are XCT not TRX. Guess I will need to check to see if this wheel supports the XD driver. Not found anything confirming it does.

mtbr member
    Wheels on the Trance 2 Alloy are XCT not TRX. Guess I will need to check to see if this wheel supports the XD driver. Not found anything confirming it does.
    I am not 100% sure on this but aren't the hubs basically DT Swiss 370s? If that is in fact the case then the freehub body should be pretty easy to source.

"El Whatever"
    Check on Giant's page if there are other models of bikes with XCT wheels and GX cassette.
    Check my Site

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by sptimmy43 View Post
    I am not 100% sure on this but aren't the hubs basically DT Swiss 370s? If that is in fact the case then the freehub body should be pretty easy to source.
    The TRX are DT370's. The XCT are more likely Formula

like these

2019 Trance 29-f_2016122009228248fquq.png
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikers Only View Post
    Just got a large frame weighed 5lbs 13oz with HS cups and rear axle

It really does looke awesome, especially in the sun.

Attachment 1220373

Attachment 1220374
    You get quite a bit of purple on this frame under certain light angles, yes?? If I go this route, I'm trying to picture what color bits (hubs, stem, chain ring, and maybe brakes/rotors) would look good. Purple maybe. And maybe green, but that looks to be a tough color to bling out...maybe best left to stand on own.

Otherwise, the I'd pair the Trance 1 with some green anodized bits...that would look good.
    Last edited by RAG2; 15 Hours Ago at 08:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Unless you have really good source, frame up build can be expensive. But I'm torn between this and a Pro1. The constructive criticism I have is that there's too big of a gap between Pro 1 and Pro 0. And value proposition on the Pro 1 isnt great; fortunately for Giant they seem to have nailed the bike design, making up for this somewhat. In any case, it would be nice to see the Pro 1 sit more equally between the 2 and 0 models...you either have to jump all the way into the DVO kit and associated price premium, or your stuck with fairly cheap components on the Pro 1. On the Pro 1, thinking it would cost them an extra $50 for a carbon bar vs aluminum, $125 for XO1 1295 cassette vs 1275, $75 Stylo Carbon cranks. Then mark it up $150 and have a $5600 offering, and much better value and placement amongst the range, and a little more price-competitive kit compared to other big brands...and you've saved a buncha weight, making this bike what it should be...a capable light-weight trail bike at a solid value.

Or, stepping a notch closer to the Pro 0, add the Performance "Elite" DPX2 and XO1 cranks...the elite version would probably cost them $25 more and the X01 cranks might cost them an extra $200, maybe $250, compared to the boat anchor cranks that come on it...adding in some additional markup, now your at $5,900. Shoot, even $6000 would be okay.

Instead, were having to swap out parts on our own, which is wasteful, and a PITA. I've only seen this bike twice in the wild, and both swapped out several parts...i dont think I've ever seen so many people buying a bike and swapping out parts. But that also attests to how much people like this platform...that they are willing buy a new bike knowing they will be extensively swapping out parts right away.
    Last edited by RAG2; 2 Hours Ago at 08:58 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456