Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 201 to 255 of 255

Thread: 2019 Trance 29

  1. #201
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowmenace View Post
    51mm. Just got the dvo sapphire to match yesterday with the 44 offset. Will have a report this weekend on the difference.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I just can't imagine the variance in offset would feel significant. But, I've been surprised before.

  2. #202
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Trance_Rider View Post
    I just wonder who has the better carbon fiber ? That is one thing i'm sure some are better than other. Yeti looks like they have the best
    Their new lifetime warranty is something of a reaction to a significant number of breakages. I like how they differentiate the Turq and their mid modulus version, but if you aren't buying a 2019 new I'd be concerned.

  3. #203
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MarinCRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    989
    Does anyone know the weight of Advanced 1 frameset with DPX2? I'm currently thinking of selling my Switchblade frameset with X2 and the wheels and getting Advanced Pro 1 but replacing gearing with XX1 Eagle and brakes with Magura MT7 plus carbon cockpit.
    I wonder would it be possible to have the bike under 12kg with Forekaster & Ardent Race 29x2.35.

    What I gather is that the frameset in XL is about 2.7kg with shock and Pro 0 build is 12.2 according to Pinkbike, but that's with slightly heavier brakes, X01 instead of XX1 and 400gr heavier tires (compared to Forekaster/AR 2.35 which are 720-750gr/piece).

    I'm guessing frameset is pretty much equal in weight between Pro 0 and Pro 1 builds as is the fork and there could be slight difference in wheels (100gr max IMO).

  4. #204
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I just can't imagine the variance in offset would feel significant. But, I've been surprised before.
    Yeah. But hoping to like the sapphire compared to the Pike. Missing the mrp coil I had on my ripley ls. Considered getting another coil 140mm with 41mm offset.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #205
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,239
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    Does anyone know the weight of Advanced 1 frameset with DPX2? I'm currently thinking of selling my Switchblade frameset with X2 and the wheels and getting Advanced Pro 1 but replacing gearing with XX1 Eagle and brakes with Magura MT7 plus carbon cockpit.
    I wonder would it be possible to have the bike under 12kg with Forekaster & Ardent Race 29x2.35.

    What I gather is that the frameset in XL is about 2.7kg with shock and Pro 0 build is 12.2 according to Pinkbike, but that's with slightly heavier brakes, X01 instead of XX1 and 400gr heavier tires (compared to Forekaster/AR 2.35 which are 720-750gr/piece).

    I'm guessing frameset is pretty much equal in weight between Pro 0 and Pro 1 builds as is the fork and there could be slight difference in wheels (100gr max IMO).
    If you look back at previous posts, weights are given for final builds. If it helps, I'll repeat mine:
    "Got the medium Pro 1, replaced the crankset with a Next SL I already had, 2.4" Addix Nobby Nics front and back, 820mm Next SL handlebars (thought they'd be too wide, but kind of like them after one ride!) 50mm Race Face stem, as the cockpit seemed just a bit short. Staying with the SL saddle, for now. Got a deal on an I9 270 24 spoke wheelset and put the XO1 1295 cassette on it. XT Trail pedals. Rotor BB. (The BB and crankset came off my older Pivot)...the Pro 1 dub BB/Cranks went on the Pivot. Put on a 30 tooth Absolute Black oval ring."

    "Total weight is 26.64, with pedals but I'll add some more sealant,as it's only 2 oz each.
    Weight without pedals is 25.76 lbs."
    26.62 lbs of course, is 12.11 kg, and I could have done more to bring down the weight.

    GaelP has his XL down to 26.2 lbs. or 11.91 Kg.

    I think the best bang for the buck is a built up Pro 1. It's $3500 less that the zero. You can bring the weight way down for considerably less, especially if you have components to transfer.

    You'd have to get the weight of the DVO Vs. the DPX2. Other than that, the frames should weigh the same.

  6. #206
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MarinCRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    989
    Thanks, did you weigh your stock wheels?

  7. #207
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,239
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    Thanks, did you weigh your stock wheels?
    No. Previous posts suggest they are about 1790 grams. My I9's are 1560. Those, I weighed.

  8. #208
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    52
    Patiently awaiting my 0 frame (seems like the Canadian distributor had to go to factory orders - no frameset stock in the country, very jealous that you guys are already getting them

    I've poured over the weights - your target should be easily obtainable with careful decisions. My calculated weight on an XL build is sub 25lbs with dropper and sub 24lbs high-posting (under 11kg). We do fine without big trail tires around here, and testing out some light-trail carbon wheels.

    Sadly, I don't think I can confirm those weights for another 8 weeks - grr

    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    Does anyone know the weight of Advanced 1 frameset with DPX2? I'm currently thinking of selling my Switchblade frameset with X2 and the wheels and getting Advanced Pro 1 but replacing gearing with XX1 Eagle and brakes with Magura MT7 plus carbon cockpit.
    I wonder would it be possible to have the bike under 12kg with Forekaster & Ardent Race 29x2.35.

    What I gather is that the frameset in XL is about 2.7kg with shock and Pro 0 build is 12.2 according to Pinkbike, but that's with slightly heavier brakes, X01 instead of XX1 and 400gr heavier tires (compared to Forekaster/AR 2.35 which are 720-750gr/piece).

    I'm guessing frameset is pretty much equal in weight between Pro 0 and Pro 1 builds as is the fork and there could be slight difference in wheels (100gr max IMO).

  9. #209
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    1
    Hi,
    Did anybody compared, teste the new trance 29 to trek fuel ex or stumpjumper st 29? I am deciding between these bikes, trance 29 adv pro 1, trek fuel ex 9.8 2019, or 29 stump st 2019 expert. I have 194 cm 6í35Ē, 91kg.

    It is very hard to find these bikes in XL size, so far I have just tried a geometry of fuel ex 8 in XL and it did not like it much - sadlle to high, handlebar to low. I feel more comfortable on my old tallboy c1. Giant seems to have higher stack and higher rise, but still availble only in medium at lbs. It is only a pitty that giant used a for the trx 1 wheelset these no upgradable hubs with low number of engagement points, but otherwise the bike looks great.

  10. #210
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    68
    Post ride report. Bike didnít feel much different with the dvo sapphire. (Compared to the Pike RCT). But man is it beautiful. Getting use to the slacker head angle. At times it feels a little floppy but man does it handle the downs amazing! Climbs like an animal and has become my favorite bike. Next time I head to he bike shop, Iíll weigh it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #211
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowmenace View Post
    Post ride report. Bike didnít feel much different with the dvo sapphire. (Compared to the Pike RCT). But man is it beautiful. Getting use to the slacker head angle. At times it feels a little floppy but man does it handle the downs amazing! Climbs like an animal and has become my favorite bike. Next time I head to he bike shop, Iíll weigh it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Right on. Thanks.

    Other than the offset not feeling much different, how do the forks compare?

  12. #212
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    68
    The dvo is definitely plusher. But you can get some of that plushness with the mrp tamp control. I prefer the mrp ribbon and get some of that with negative air pressure.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #213
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,588
    Cool. Thanks

  14. #214
    Zak
    Zak is offline
    Discernibly Turgid
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    219
    Just unboxed my medium Pro 0 - stock build it weighed 26lbs flat with no pedals and no sealant in the tires (it comes with 2 small bottles). The medium does come with a short 390mm 125mm drop Reverb. I weighed a few things in case anyone is interested:

    DVO Saphire fork with maybe 1.5" of extra steerer - 1985g
    Saddle - 215g
    TRX0 29" wheels with tape and valves - 1730g

    I'm swapping in some preferred parts and shorter cranks - if anyone is interested I'll have the following stock parts for sale:

    Descendant carbon bars 800mm, 35mm clamp
    Descendant stem 40mm
    Guide RSCs with or without 180mm centerline rotors
    Reverb (125mm drop, new shifter style remote)
    Saddle
    X01 Dub 175mm cranks with chainring and BB

  15. #215
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    Just unboxed my medium Pro 0 - stock build it weighed 26lbs flat with no pedals and no sealant in the tires (it comes with 2 small bottles). The medium does come with a short 390mm 125mm drop Reverb. I weighed a few things in case anyone is interested:

    DVO Saphire fork with maybe 1.5" of extra steerer - 1985g
    Saddle - 215g
    TRX0 29" wheels with tape and valves - 1730g

    I'm swapping in some preferred parts and shorter cranks - if anyone is interested I'll have the following stock parts for sale:

    Descendant carbon bars 800mm, 35mm clamp
    Descendant stem 40mm
    Guide RSCs with or without 180mm centerline rotors
    Reverb (125mm drop, new shifter style remote)
    Saddle
    X01 Dub 175mm cranks with chainring and BB
    Thanks for the info on the Pro 0, component weights, DVO and so on. Good info.

  16. #216
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowmenace View Post
    The dvo is definitely plusher. But you can get some of that plushness with the mrp tamp control. I prefer the mrp ribbon and get some of that with negative air pressure.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It sure looks like the green DVO would go good with my Pro 1....hmmmm....

  17. #217
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    It sure looks like the green DVO would go good with my Pro 1....hmmmm....
    I love that green color on the Pro 1. It is beautiful! I wouldíve gone for that color except I only needed a frame. And the frame only option is super unique. 3 different colors from different angles.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #218
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,239
    Yeah the frame only color is sweet!

  19. #219
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    24
    The Sapphire is heavier if that matters to you. I have done many back to back tests and found both the Fox and Sapphire to be plush. If you want, you can pull that Grip damper out and replace with the Fit4 damper... thats what I am doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    It sure looks like the green DVO would go good with my Pro 1....hmmmm....

  20. #220
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,239
    Quote Originally Posted by play time View Post
    The Sapphire is heavier if that matters to you. I have done many back to back tests and found both the Fox and Sapphire to be plush. If you want, you can pull that Grip damper out and replace with the Fit4 damper... thats what I am doing.
    I'd be interested to know how that works out. At least the decals on it match!

  21. #221
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,588
    BB size on the Trance Pro frame?

    I thought it was a press fit BB92. Correct?
    (So a Shimano BB94 should fit.)


    Also, internal seat post size, and is there a manual to be found to help with Giant's recommendations in terms of cable routing/installation?


    Unless I'm missing something, Giant's website is conspicuously devoid of info needed to build up a frame. Most of that stuff I can figure out on my own, but still...
    Last edited by Miker J; 1 Week Ago at 01:26 PM.

  22. #222
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    BB size on the Trance Pro frame?

    I thought it was a press fit BB94. Correct?


    Also, internal seat post size, and is there a manual to be found to help with Giant's recommendations in terms of cable routing/installation?


    Unless I'm missing something, Giant's website is conspicuously devoid of info needed to build up a frame. Most of that stuff I can figure out on my own, but still...
    I thought it was a BB92, pressfit, of course. I transferred a Rotor pressfit 4130 bottom bracket from my old Pivot 5.7 carbon (non-boost pf92 with 41mm cups - forgive me if my terminology is off) over to the Giant Pro frame and put the Giant Dub BB and crank on the Pivot without issues. The Giant now runs my old Next SL crankset with a 30 tooth Absolute Black oval - boost (3mm offset, I believe) and I have no issues at all with the setup.

    I just measured the shell width. It's hard to get an exact measure with the crank on, but I got 92.34mm (so I'd say PF92).

    Seatpost size is listed at 30.9mm

  23. #223
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    59
    From above weights looks like it could come down to ~25lbs with a set of xc wheels, carbon dropper and Fox 130 . . Cool!

    Not sure I can get past that slack head angle though. I like my fast tight corners. Anyone have some experience with that? Can you get used to it?

  24. #224
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,239
    Quote Originally Posted by NTZeek View Post
    From above weights looks like it could come down to ~25lbs with a set of xc wheels, carbon dropper and Fox 130 . . Cool!

    Not sure I can get past that slack head angle though. I like my fast tight corners. Anyone have some experience with that? Can you get used to it?
    What are you on now that makes 66.5 degrees seem particularly slack? That's the same as my 2016 Yeti SB5c. Actually, the SB5 with a 160 on it is probably closer to 65.5.
    I'm not saying you're wrong, I just find it to be a curious observation.
    It's slack compared to an XC race bike, but those aren't exactly known for railing high speed turns.

  25. #225
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,588
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I thought it was a BB92, pressfit, of course. I transferred a Rotor pressfit 4130 bottom bracket from my old Pivot 5.7 carbon (non-boost pf92 with 41mm cups - forgive me if my terminology is off) over to the Giant Pro frame and put the Giant Dub BB and crank on the Pivot without issues. The Giant now runs my old Next SL crankset with a 30 tooth Absolute Black oval - boost (3mm offset, I believe) and I have no issues at all with the setup.

    I just measured the shell width. It's hard to get an exact measure with the crank on, but I got 92.34mm (so I'd say PF92).

    Seatpost size is listed at 30.9mm
    Cool, thanks.

    Never gave it any thought but the Shimano bottom bracket BB94 is still for the BB92. As to not confuse anyone I'm going to edit my post above.

  26. #226
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    What are you on now that makes 66.5 degrees seem particularly slack?
    Good point! My 2010 Mach 4 is probably 71 ish. Your comment was the first time I connected the wobble I feel in fast corners with my steep head tube. Iíve tried a lot of bikes this summer, trying out the Trance 29 next.

    I felt like the Trail 429 handles slow and fast corners well at 67.3(I think)

    Now that I think of it, the longer wheelbase and slacker headtube are a bit more than ideal for me, but I dislike the 4-5 lb weight penalty of the trail 429. Looking forward to trying out the Trance.
    Last edited by NTZeek; 1 Week Ago at 08:49 PM. Reason: Clarity

  27. #227
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,239
    Quote Originally Posted by NTZeek View Post
    Good point! My 2010 Mach 4 is probably 71 ish. Your comment was the first time I connected the wobble I feel in fast corners with my steep head tube. Iíve tried a lot of bikes this summer, trying out the Trance 29 next.

    I felt like the Trail 429 handles slow and fast corners well at 67.3(I think)

    Now that I think of it, the longer wheelbase and slacker headtube are a bit more than ideal for me, but I dislike the 4-5 lb weight penalty of the trail 429. Looking forward to trying out the Trance.
    I would hesitate to judge a bike by one, or two measurements. I went from a Pivot 5.7c to a longer wheelbase and slacker HTA Yeti SB5c with a 160 fork, and it turned out that I could maneuver through tight climbing switchbacks better on the longer, slacker bike. Not what the numbers would have suggested.

    I think, in years past, when bike designs changed by one or two factors, the numbers would tell the story more than today, when numerous design features (HTA, STA, chainstay length, reach/stack, choice of shock/fork, etc.) might differ simultaneously. The effect of all of the changes just need to be experienced through test rides.

    You may not like the Trance....I'd be very interested to hear your assessment after the test ride.

  28. #228
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    59
    Thanks, for the thoughtful reply. I have one reserved in Salt Lake City at summit cycles this Friday. Traveling 7 hours to try it out . Will post.

  29. #229
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    52
    Yea, there's so much changing in the geo you can't judge by head angle alone anymore. The FC/RC balance, offset, and head angle all play together - along with greater bar leverage (wide bars, short stems). I started racing on a 72.5deg 29r, and hated how a low offset fork felt on it. Then moved to 69 deg and high offset (everything else kept the same). Now I'm on a long reach, short stem bike - 68deg and 44 offset, and it's amazing. That same fork on a steeper/shorter bike would have felt like trash (I know, I tried a 38 offset Reba before Fox came out with 51). It's all part of a handling package - you just have to see if you like where it's going. What I noticed on a quick parking lot demo of the Trance is slightly more initial flop with high steering input (eg: bar turning) and an excellent line holding stability on lean dominant turning. The later is the bread and butter of fast mtb riding. If your trails are old school (narrow, tight, flat corners that require a lot of steering input) you may not like it as much. But if you have trails you can carve, it's a night and day improvement over the old geo.

  30. #230
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,588
    Quote Originally Posted by InVeloVeritas View Post
    Yea, there's so much changing in the geo you can't judge by head angle alone anymore. The FC/RC balance, offset, and head angle all play together - along with greater bar leverage (wide bars, short stems). I started racing on a 72.5deg 29r, and hated how a low offset fork felt on it. Then moved to 69 deg and high offset (everything else kept the same). Now I'm on a long reach, short stem bike - 68deg and 44 offset, and it's amazing. That same fork on a steeper/shorter bike would have felt like trash (I know, I tried a 38 offset Reba before Fox came out with 51). It's all part of a handling package - you just have to see if you like where it's going. What I noticed on a quick parking lot demo of the Trance is slightly more initial flop with high steering input (eg: bar turning) and an excellent line holding stability on lean dominant turning. The later is the bread and butter of fast mtb riding. If your trails are old school (narrow, tight, flat corners that require a lot of steering input) you may not like it as much. But if you have trails you can carve, it's a night and day improvement over the old geo.
    Can you tell me how the steering/handling would change by increasing (or decreasing) the fork's offset?

    I'm deciding on what fork to get to go with the Trance frame I picked up. If I go with the DVO ID use the same offset that Giant specs, 44mm. If I go with sram I can go 42 or 46. It's NOT likely would feel the difference but as long as I have the choice...
    Last edited by Miker J; 4 Days Ago at 03:14 PM.

  31. #231
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Can you tell me how the steering/handling would change by increasing (or decreasing) the fork's offset?

    I'm deciding on what fork to get to go with the Trance frame I picked up. If I go with the DVO ID use the same offset that Giant specs, 44mm. If I go with sram I can go 42 or 46. It's likely would feel the difference but as long as I have the choice...
    A wild guess....faster more responsive (perhaps too responsive) with less offset.

    Oops, never mind!

    Edit: https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/fork-offs...e-trail-342679

    "A bike feels great when descending if it has steering that is stable at high speeds and when in the turns. You get that from having a large trail figure, something you can achieve either by running a shorter offset or making the head angle slacker."

    Less offset = more trail = slower steering, As InVeloVeritas just pointed out. And, as he also pointed out, it's unlikely to make a huge difference, I suppose.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 4 Days Ago at 01:16 PM.

  32. #232
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    36
    I might be having a brand new 2019 Trance Advanced 29 Pro 1 for sale in size medium. This was my third attempt at 29ers this year and although this attempt was by far the best one, I'm thinking 29ers aren't for me. Really fun bike though, poppy and playful with a suspension set up that feels way bigger than 115 in the rear. Anyway, did 2 short rides on it for a total of about 13 miles. So again, basically brand new right out of the box. The bike is flawless. Let me know if you'd like to snatch it up before I list it. And btw, that metallic green looks really good in person. At first I was a little worried but once I saw it I really liked it.

    Cheers!

  33. #233
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    68

    2019 Trance 29

    Quote Originally Posted by lotusoperandi View Post
    I might be having a brand new 2019 Trance Advanced 29 Pro 1 for sale in size medium. This was my third attempt at 29ers this year and although this attempt was by far the best one, I'm thinking 29ers aren't for me. Really fun bike though, poppy and playful with a suspension set up that feels way bigger than 115 in the rear. Anyway, did 2 short rides on it for a total of about 13 miles. So again, basically brand new right out of the box. The bike is flawless. Let me know if you'd like to snatch it up before I list it. And btw, that metallic green looks really good in person. At first I was a little worried but once I saw it I really liked it.

    Cheers!
    So sad. Iím the opposite. Always want to get a 27.5 bike and always end up back on the 29. You are right that is does not feel like a 115mm travel bike. Feels more like 125-130. Hopefully someone will pick up a hot bike. Unfortuanly for most,bike season is over and down here in the southwest itís not too hot. So we keep it pedaling. Good luck on your next sweet ride!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  34. #234
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Can you tell me how the steering/handling would change by increasing (or decreasing) the fork's offset?

    I'm deciding on what fork to get to go with the Trance frame I picked up. If I go with the DVO ID use the same offset that Giant specs, 44mm. If I go with sram I can go 42 or 46. It's likely would feel the difference but as long as I have the choice...
    You won't feel much of a difference between 42, 44, and 46mm. Lower offset increases the mechanical trail, which slows the steering and increases stability - but it takes a pretty big difference to notice. Going from 51 to 44 was barely perceivable at the parking lot level and on trail presents as better edge control in high-lean cornering and slightly more resistance to direct steering input. If you've ever ridden motos - it starts to feel more like that and less like a road bike

  35. #235
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,588
    Quote Originally Posted by InVeloVeritas View Post
    You won't feel much of a difference between 42, 44, and 46mm. Lower offset increases the mechanical trail, which slows the steering and increases stability - but it takes a pretty big difference to notice. Going from 51 to 44 was barely perceivable at the parking lot level and on trail presents as better edge control in high-lean cornering and slightly more resistance to direct steering input. If you've ever ridden motos - it starts to feel more like that and less like a road bike

    Thanks. This helps.

    I edited my post to say I'd NOT likely notice the difference between the offsets.


    Factoring stem length into the front end feel probably plays a role. I think shorter stems feel twitchy at lower speeds and I wonder if shorter offsets are a better match with shorter stems.

    This bike, for a xc/trail bike, has a relatively slack HTA and long reach, which would mate well with a rather short stem. Maybe even a 40mm stem. That might suggest shorter offset forks would be a better match. Even going as low as 42mm might work well.

    As this bike is less enduro, and more xc/trail one would expect to spend more time riding it on relatively slower sections of trail. The slack HTA at 66 might feel floppy at those slow speeds so the shorter offset might benefit there ???

  36. #236
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Thanks. This helps.

    I edited my post to say I'd NOT likely notice the difference between the offsets.


    Factoring stem length into the front end feel probably plays a role. I think shorter stems feel twitchy at lower speeds and I wonder if shorter offsets are a better match with shorter stems.

    This bike, for a xc/trail bike, has a relatively slack HTA and long reach, which would mate well with a rather short stem. Maybe even a 40mm stem. That might suggest shorter offset forks would be a better match. Even going as low as 42mm might work well.

    As this bike is less enduro, and more xc/trail one would expect to spend more time riding it on relatively slower sections of trail. The slack HTA at 66 might feel floppy at those slow speeds so the shorter offset might benefit there ???
    Less Enduro then what? The 27.5?. Having ridden both I would say they are close to the same category on the downs. Only XC thing about the bike is that its 29er.

    I would rather have a new anthem and be out gunned on a few downs then have the trance 29er for easy trail riding. But each to their own.

    Anything within a few mm of stock offset will be just fine.

  37. #237
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    24
    Contact me!
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusoperandi View Post
    I might be having a brand new 2019 Trance Advanced 29 Pro 1 for sale in size medium. This was my third attempt at 29ers this year and although this attempt was by far the best one, I'm thinking 29ers aren't for me. Really fun bike though, poppy and playful with a suspension set up that feels way bigger than 115 in the rear. Anyway, did 2 short rides on it for a total of about 13 miles. So again, basically brand new right out of the box. The bike is flawless. Let me know if you'd like to snatch it up before I list it. And btw, that metallic green looks really good in person. At first I was a little worried but once I saw it I really liked it.

    Cheers!

  38. #238
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    24
    I would recommend demoing the Pro 1 from Bikers Edge in Kaysville.The Pro 1 has a DPX2 and better fork.
    Quote Originally Posted by NTZeek View Post
    Thanks, for the thoughtful reply. I have one reserved in Salt Lake City at summit cycles this Friday. Traveling 7 hours to try it out . Will post.

  39. #239
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,588
    Quote Originally Posted by BradOlsen84 View Post
    Less Enduro then what? The 27.5?. Having ridden both I would say they are close to the same category on the downs. Only XC thing about the bike is that its 29er.

    I would rather have a new anthem and be out gunned on a few downs then have the trance 29er for easy trail riding. But each to their own.

    Anything within a few mm of stock offset will be just fine.
    Comparing other bikes in general, the travel on this bike puts it in the trail bike category, I'd say.

  40. #240
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    4
    Just got my Trance 29 Advanced 1 in this week and I think I made a big mistake with frame size. I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam and I ordered a medium. My bike shop was 100% sure I was a medium so I went with that. Furthermore, on paper the bike should be longer than my previous large sized frame, but it feels small, even with the stem swapped out for a 50mm stem. First mistake was not trying before buying, but that wasn't an option where I live and I didn't want to wait until next summer so I just took the shop's word for it. Super nice guys and knowledgable, but I think without any of us trying this bike out, it's hard to give solid advice on frame size.

    What are my options at this point? Should I even bother asking my bike shop if they can help me out, or should I just try and sell the bike and order a size large? I feel like I spent too much money to not have the ideal frame size! Live and learn...

  41. #241
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by DocFPV View Post
    Just got my Trance 29 Advanced 1 in this week and I think I made a big mistake with frame size. I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam and I ordered a medium. My bike shop was 100% sure I was a medium so I went with that. Furthermore, on paper the bike should be longer than my previous large sized frame, but it feels small, even with the stem swapped out for a 50mm stem. First mistake was not trying before buying, but that wasn't an option where I live and I didn't want to wait until next summer so I just took the shop's word for it. Super nice guys and knowledgable, but I think without any of us trying this bike out, it's hard to give solid advice on frame size.

    What are my options at this point? Should I even bother asking my bike shop if they can help me out, or should I just try and sell the bike and order a size large? I feel like I spent too much money to not have the ideal frame size! Live and learn...
    Talk to the shop. They should help you out with this. At 5'11" with a 32" inseam I'd say your were borderline M and L and not solidly either one. While that does make their job harder, if you ordered what they recommended and it's not what you need, they do have some encouragement from a customer service point of view to help you out. If you haven't ridden the bike much, they may basically be able to sell it without losing any money, and simply order you the large.

  42. #242
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Thanks. This helps.

    I edited my post to say I'd NOT likely notice the difference between the offsets.


    Factoring stem length into the front end feel probably plays a role. I think shorter stems feel twitchy at lower speeds and I wonder if shorter offsets are a better match with shorter stems.

    This bike, for a xc/trail bike, has a relatively slack HTA and long reach, which would mate well with a rather short stem. Maybe even a 40mm stem. That might suggest shorter offset forks would be a better match. Even going as low as 42mm might work well.

    As this bike is less enduro, and more xc/trail one would expect to spend more time riding it on relatively slower sections of trail. The slack HTA at 66 might feel floppy at those slow speeds so the shorter offset might benefit there ???
    Yes, absolutely - the combination of long front centre and short stem are key to the positive effect of higher mechanical trail. Or to be more specific, in the days of shorter reach and long stems, high trail felt _awful_. Having come from that world it made me very hesitant to try it again - but the combination of changes is totally different.

    The point at which there are negative effects is when the terrain is really slow - eg: when you can't lean the bike. Our terrain around here is exclusively XC and modern geometry works. It's only it bar-banger tight trail that you start to notice it feeling slow.

    Floppy and twitchy steering are both very similar and very different from each other. Slack HA and low offset tends to increase the feeling of flop - that is, the sensation of the bars dropping in under high steering input. Steep HA and long offset with increase the twitchiness - that is, the ease of which the bars want to change direction under steering and lean. The big difference is that 'flop' goes away as you lean the bike to turn while twitchiness is always there and leads to instability as speed increases.

    My current bike is 68/44 and there are zero ill handling effects in an XC environment. I haven't had a chance to ride 66.5 beyond a parking lot test (still waiting for my frame) - but having come from steep bikes to where I am now, I have a solid sense of where it's going. There is likely a point of diminishing returns - but that line has been moving out as trail, bike, and riding style improve.

  43. #243
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    4
    How tall are you guys, and what size did you go with?

  44. #244
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Excellent. So far, I've picked out a Next handlebar, lighter stem (which is 50mm, as the medium felt a little short to me) and two 29x2.35 Nobby Nics (at 770 and 780 grams). That alone should drop a pound. I also have a spare RaceFace Next SL Crankset at 360 (!) grams, which should drop another half pound. That should drop the weight down close to to 26lbs (sans pedals) on the 29-1, for a measly $390.
    ....even found a green Absolute Black oval boost chainring.

    That should put me at GaelP's weight.
    Thanks to both of you (GaelP and play time) for all the helpful info!

    Looking hard at the I9 wheelset for another half pound.
    How tall are you?

  45. #245
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,239
    Quote Originally Posted by DocFPV View Post
    How tall are you?
    5'8" tall. 30-ish inch inseam.
    Medium frame. I put a 50mm stem on it.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 1 Day Ago at 06:24 AM.

  46. #246
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,588
    Quote Originally Posted by DocFPV View Post
    How tall are you guys, and what size did you go with?
    A hair under 6' with very long levers.

    Definitely a large for me.

  47. #247
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    2
    I'm 5'11, with a 33" inseam, and long arms (span is 6'2, longer than height).

    Currently ride a 2017 Trance Advanced 1, in medium, and when I purchased 12+ months ago could have gone either way with med/large.

    At a recent demo day, I tried the 2019 Trance 29er pro 1, first in medium, and the fit wasn't quite right, felt a little short, couldn't put my finger on it, either the geometry/sizing, reach not long enough, or position of seat and spaces under stem.

    Then jumped on a large, and felt better.
    I'm 98% sure that I'll go for the large, and perhaps replace the stock 50mm stem with 35 or 40mm stem.
    Bonus of large having a 150mm dropper too (medium only has 125mm dropper).

    First photo below shows the medium with my approx seat height (a lot of post showing).
    And second photo of the large, with my approx seat height, showing there is still some adjustment to go lower.

    2019 Trance 29-20181026_165113b.jpg

    2019 Trance 29-20181026_173131b.jpg

  48. #248
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    68
    Iím 5í7Ē. Got a medium and it has a 30mm stem. Fits great.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  49. #249
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    24
    I am 5'8" and ride a medium Pro 29 0
    Quote Originally Posted by DocFPV View Post
    How tall are you guys, and what size did you go with?

  50. #250
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    24
    Medium Pro 29 should come with 40mm stem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowmenace View Post
    Iím 5í7Ē. Got a medium and it has a 30mm stem. Fits great.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  51. #251
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by play time View Post
    Medium Pro 29 should come with 40mm stem.
    Mine is a custom build from the Frameset only.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  52. #252
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    1

    Looking for feedback

    2019 Trance 29-e05cf1a5-0426-4514-8b92-dff4af0ee96c.jpg

    Currently researching bikes for my first full suspension bike having had a GT avalanche 1.0 for 12 years. The trance 29 is on my short list and having seen a million rave reviews I've come across a review in Mountain Biking UK (MBUK) magazine see picture of page attached.

    I generally find that the journalists in MBUK generally prefer 140mm plus enduro style bikes so when I read they that consider the trance 29 to have squirm and flex that undermines the confidence of the bike I took it with a pinch of salt. What's confused me though is that they rated the Intense Sniper Trial higher, and suggested that twist in the back end of the Sniper helps to smooth out power delivery and takes the sting out of hard hits.

    Do any of you Trance 29 owners find the bike flexes too much?
    Have any of you compared both these bikes?

    Thanks

  53. #253
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    49
    Just picked up the trance 29 advanced 1. Looking swap out the fox front fork. If anyone with the DVO who would prefer the fox I would be interested in a trade. The bike will be in my hands by week end. So it's brand new.

    Brad

  54. #254
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    4
    So I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell my medium Trance 29 Advanced 1 to get a larger size. Thinking about other options like Santa Cruz Hightower, Evil The Following, Rocky Mountain Instinct...problem is none of them come with carbon rims for the same price. Has anyone demoed these other bikes and can say how they compare? For what you get for your money, doesn't seem to be a better deal than Giant that I can see.

  55. #255
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,239
    Quote Originally Posted by BradOlsen84 View Post
    Just picked up the trance 29 advanced 1. Looking swap out the fox front fork. If anyone with the DVO who would prefer the fox I would be interested in a trade. The bike will be in my hands by week end. So it's brand new.

    Brad
    Good luck, finding someone willing to swap a DVO Sapphire for a Fox Float Performance!
    I was thinking of swapping out my Fox Performance for something else also, but it's really not a bad fork at all. Not as nice as a DVO or MRP, and a bit heavier, but so far it has worked well for me. I just had to modify the number of tokens in it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-25-2018, 01:28 PM
  2. stump jumper 2019 expert or SC Bronson v3 s 2019
    By coming_in_hot in forum 27.5
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-03-2018, 09:49 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-05-2016, 10:29 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-16-2016, 09:58 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-31-2014, 10:59 AM

Members who have read this thread: 476

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.