2019 Giant bikes just went up in price today!- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    65

    Bonking ... not feelin' well 2019 Giant bikes just went up in price today!

    So I was looking at some bikes over the weekend and was clear on the prices at Giant, but today I was looking at them again and noticed the price was higher...so I chatted with one of their representatives and he said: "Due to the current climate surrounding imported goods across industries, there has been a price increase of certain models effective today" "Many factors have contributed to this change. I'm sorry for any inconvenience".....

    So the Anthem Advanced Pro 29 0 went from $11,500 to $12,075 and the Pro 29 1 from $5,000 to $5,500. The Anthem 29 2 from $2,800 to $2,940. Not sure if the new Trance models or any others went up as well, I was looking only at the Anthems....in any case if they were trying to get one leg up over the competitors, that just went out of the door....I know is not a big increase, but still....

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: G-Choro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by snakemau View Post
    So I was looking at some bikes over the weekend and was clear on the prices at Giant, but today I was looking at them again and noticed the price was higher...so I chatted with one of their representatives and he said: "Due to the current climate surrounding imported goods across industries, there has been a price increase of certain models effective today" "Many factors have contributed to this change. I'm sorry for any inconvenience".....

    So the Anthem Advanced Pro 29 0 went from $11,500 to $12,075 and the Pro 29 1 from $5,000 to $5,500. The Anthem 29 2 from $2,800 to $2,940. Not sure if the new Trance models or any others went up as well, I was looking only at the Anthems....in any case if they were trying to get one leg up over the competitors, that just went out of the door....I know is not a big increase, but still....
    They are smoking crack if they think they can command those prices. Canyon did the same thing recently and raised their prices - by as much as $1000 in some cases.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,934
    Ouch!
    Trance Advanced Pro 29 0 just went up $400.

    On the other hand, Mediums and larges are limited stock, so maybe they're taking advantage of us.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    65
    Yep same with the Anthems, small and mediums Coming soon.....only large and x-large available only for the Pro 29 1, the 29 0 all coming soon....

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Deep Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    540
    Looks like about a 5% increase - in line with how other companies are responding to the tariffs. Rather than increasing the prices drastically on Chinese-made product, they just do a smaller increase over a wider swath of product.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    65
    Correct but then why advertise one price at launch and then change it when orders are in full swing? Should had the prices corrected to start....unless they just want to get more if sales are going well and use this tariff as excuse for the prices...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Deep Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    540
    Weren't the tariffs announced/put into effect between the time of launch and yesterday?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    74
    12k for a Giant......No thanks

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Thought View Post
    Weren't the tariffs announced/put into effect between the time of launch and yesterday?
    There has been talk for a while. My understanding - and I'm never 100% sure of anything - is that the tariffs in place now, on imports to the U.S. are on "first sale" value, whereas other countries levy it on "last sale". So, for U.S. import tariffs, if a foreign entity sells a ton of steel, carbon, zizzerzoff seeds, whatever, to his cousin, wife, holding company, distributor, or whatever for $1000 and that entity sells it to the U.S. for $10,000, the tariff is applied to the lesser amount.

    That is, the new cost would go from $10,000 to $10,250 on a 25% tariff on steel, or, effectively, a 2.5% tariff.

    The opposite is true on imports to countries from the U.S., where they generally apply the tariffs on the $10,000.

    Additionally, some exporters to the U.S. will lower their prices to maintain market share. But....apparently NOT Giant.

    The bottom line is that a 25% tariff on imports to the U.S. does not result in a 25% increase in the cost of the goods subject to the tariff.

    In this case, I suspect the 5% price increase, is about things other than JUST tariffs. There is still such a thing as inflation, after all. Prices go up, especially if demand is up with supply down.

  10. #10
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,247
    Hmmm... the U.S. site doesn't even show an Trance Advanced 0 any more, and the Advanced one went up to USD5565 from USD5300 IIRC.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,934

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Deep Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    There has been talk for a while. My understanding - and I'm never 100% sure of anything - is that the tariffs in place now, on imports to the U.S. are on "first sale" value, whereas other countries levy it on "last sale". So, for U.S. import tariffs, if a foreign entity sells a ton of steel, carbon, zizzerzoff seeds, whatever, to his cousin, wife, holding company, distributor, or whatever for $1000 and that entity sells it to the U.S. for $10,000, the tariff is applied to the lesser amount.

    That is, the new cost would go from $10,000 to $10,250 on a 25% tariff on steel, or, effectively, a 2.5% tariff.

    The opposite is true on imports to countries from the U.S., where they generally apply the tariffs on the $10,000.

    Additionally, some exporters to the U.S. will lower their prices to maintain market share. But....apparently NOT Giant.

    The bottom line is that a 25% tariff on imports to the U.S. does not result in a 25% increase in the cost of the goods subject to the tariff.

    In this case, I suspect the 5% price increase, is about things other than JUST tariffs. There is still such a thing as inflation, after all. Prices go up, especially if demand is up with supply down.
    Yes, there's been "talk" all summer, but the tariffs on bicycles weren't officially announced until last month, with the 10% part already having gone into effect on 9/24. It's likely that Giant set their 2019 pricing over the summer, just prior to launch, and then had to adjust due to these tariffs. Trek announced a similar increase and said in a letter to retailers that it was directly due to the tariffs.

    Regarding your application example:

    Wouldn't the manufacturer apply the tariff before they mark up the price? So in your example, 25% of $1000 is $250, which makes the manufacturer's cost now $1250. Marked up the 900% in your example, the final price is now $12,500, or ... a 25% increase.

    It's amusing that some people seem to not want to believe that these tariffs have affected pricing.

    Industry Execs: These tariffs will cause price increases for consumers

    United States Trade Commission: Don't care. F China.

    Mountain Bikers: But why are bikes more expensive now?! There HAS to be some reason!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,142
    I saw a blog post about this from Performamce Bike. Itís really supposed to effect the lower end Chinese bikes. That disproportionately effects low cost transportation bikes and childrenís bikes. I wonder if they are hitting the expensive bikes because those of us that can afford to buy them need to subsidize these nutty tariffs so poorer individuals can buy needed transport? If that is the case, I donít have a problem with it.

    https://blog.performancebike.com/what-the-new-tariffs-mean-for-cycling/

    Vote blue, folks.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    306
    margins on bikes aren't all that huge.. these tariffs are bound to raise prices for bikes..

    without getting political prices keep reflecting realities of cost to make things .. but wages have not remotely kept up with said realities..

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mLeier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    256
    Yikes! Just in the US or in Canada too?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by mLeier View Post
    Yikes! Just in the US or in Canada too?
    Canadian prices look unchanged, so are a pretty good deal (Giant always seems pretty favourable to Canada).

    For example, Anthem Advanced Pro 0:
    USA: $12075 USD
    Canada: $10999 CAD (so $8450 USD)

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swerny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,001
    Trance Advanced 29 0 is cheaper in Canada straight up than the USA...even with our dollar being $0.77 US

    Sweet for us Canadians
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSocko View Post
    12k for a Giant......No thanks
    12k for any pedal bike... No thanks!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: G-Choro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    571
    Wonder if prices go back down if/when tariffs are removed?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    Trance Advanced 29 0 is cheaper in Canada straight up than the USA...even with our dollar being $0.77 US

    Sweet for us Canadians
    Yeah the site shows $8699 Canadian. About $6700 U.S. as of today. Road trip!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    19
    I had preordered the Revolt two weeks prior, then saw the price increase. I had begged my LBS for a discount, if i had waited, i would have been begging just to go back to MSRP. Glad i made the jump, got the bike yesterday and love it. These prices are getting crazy.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,142
    If you haven't seen this already, Performance Bike wrote a blog piece on the tariffs. Basically, they don't know what will happen, and higher priced bike buyers are funding the entry-level bike buyers. Which is fair, as the proportion they pay is great compared to original bike cost. And it's assumed that they may not be able to afford the cost.

    https://blog.performancebike.com/wha...n-for-cycling/
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 195
    Last Post: 1 Week Ago, 11:06 AM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-17-2019, 07:01 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-02-2018, 03:25 PM
  4. 2019 Anthem 1 (27.5) vs 2019 Spark 950
    By squidattack in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-07-2018, 11:21 AM
  5. stump jumper 2019 expert or SC Bronson v3 s 2019
    By coming_in_hot in forum 27.5
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-03-2018, 09:49 AM

Members who have read this thread: 10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.