2018 Trance Advanced 2 27.5 - feedback appreciated- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017

2018 Trance Advanced 2 27.5 - feedback appreciated

My LBS is closing out Giant and has some deals. I threw a leg over an XL 2018 Trance Advanced 2 (27.5 version on sale at $3150) and was impressed, cockpit/reach a good fit. Carbon frame & wheels, only 28 lbs, felt nimble. 11-speed SLX. Seat dropper felt smooth although the position of the control (top of handlebar) felt a bit odd.

I have some reservations about the RS Revelation fork on the í18 Advance 2 - how do they compare to a RS Pike or some of the Fox 34 forks? While the bike seems like a great package/value overall, itíd be very spendy to upgrade to a Pike or similar level fork later. The shop also has a 27.5" 2019 Trance 2 on sale at $2565 (2018 & 2019 seem to have the same geometry). Rides nice, but at 31 lbs not as light as the Advanced. They donít have an XL Trance 2 29er in stock. From reading forums & bike sites, it looks like 29ers are being promoted by the industry and are out-selling 27.5 bikes, hence the deeper deals Iím seeing on the 27.5ís.

I ride in chunky, hilly NW terrain and my days of jumping are long since past. I value climbing & light handling over downhill bombing. Not interested in direct sale brands, want to work with a LBS. Max budget of $3k-ish. Any pros/cons on the Trance and particularly the Advanced 2 spec are appreciated!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I have a 2017 Trance advance 2. It is a good all around bike, playful, climbs surprisingly well and handles the chunky stuff. The 17 model had a Yari fork which works okay for a 200+ lb rider. I have not ridden revelation fork. For around $3k, it is a good value.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks dcr1. Yeah, I'm kind of on the fence because of the Revelation shock that Giant spec'd on the '18. The Yari they spec'd on the '17 sounds like a better bet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I have a 2017 Trance Advanced 2. I never rode the bike with the Yari because I had a Pike from my previous Trance and immediately swapped forks.

The Yari has the same chassis as a Lyrik. Think Enduro fork on a budget. Instead of the Charger2 damper in the Lyrik, Yari gets the simpler, budget minded Motion Control damper. Still a fine performing damper, just slightly less refined and less tunable. You can upgrade a Yari with the Charger2 damper upgrade kit. I did this upgrade to the Yari on my hardtail, along with the DebonAir air spring. Now it is basically a 130mm Lyrik.

The Revelation fork..... same story, except it is a Pike chassis with the Motion Control damper. A "trail" fork. Not as burly and stiff as an "enduro" fork. Lighter weight, but not as much so as a "XC" fork. As with the Yari, you can upgrade the Revelation with the Charger2 upgrade kit. Afterwards, you will basically have a Pike, at a much lower cost than buying an entire fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks erb16, good info on upgrading the fork's internals.