2018 Trance Advanced 1 vs Trance Advanced 2--Looking for buying advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015

2018 Trance Advanced 1 vs Trance Advanced 2--Looking for buying advice

Hey guys,

Im down to two bikes as my first trail bike. I'm looking at the 2018 Trance advanced 1 & 2. Both share the same carbon frame and carbon wheels. I can get the advanced 1 for $4200 OTD and the advanced 2 for $3400 OTD. Is the one worth an additional $800? What do you think?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    the question is do you have a preference of drivetrains and suspensions, Sram or Shimano, and Fox Shox or Rock Shox. I heard good reviews on the gx and as well as the slx comps. If I were to pick one of the 2 I would go for the Advancd 1 as I prefer the Fox Suspensions as I have both of the 34 and DPX2 but factory version and I can live witht he GX drivetrain. to replace the Fork is alot more than $800 if I do not like the RS Rev RC fork.
    '18 SC Tallboy CC_Wife
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv_Kid
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '17 SC Bronson CC

mtbr member
    +1 on the revelation fork. If you can, the 2017 model is superior in many ways minus the tubeless setup and the tires but that can be personal preference (xc'esh riders might like the nobby nics better).

The 2017 advanced 2 has the yari fork, which is based off the lyric. The 2018 advanced 2 has the revelation RC, which is supposedly based off the pike however I have a revelation RL on my 29er and for aggressive trail riding, i'm going to say NO. The rebound dampening is so meh.

When I talked to Giant directly I asked them to try and sell me the 2018 advanced 2 model as I feel it's a downgrade from the 2017 model. They said the trade off for the fork is the tubeless setup and the HR2 tires. Is it justifiable to me? No, sorry...as to upgrade the fork later on would be another grand.

I am pretty much sold on the 2018 advanced 1. I'm not happy with the suspension being downgraded, but the tubeless setup and HR2 tires does attract me, and the fox performance elite is still quite good. I had the GX lineup when it first came out and wasn't all impressed with durability, so hopefully that has changed since then.

Go with the advanced 1.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by d4nt3ch View Post
    as to upgrade the fork later on would be another grand.
    Actually - you can upgrade the fork with the Charger 2 Damper Upgrade kit for right around $200. Then you have a slightly heavier Pike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I didn't understand why Giant went to the revelation fork on the 2018 trance adv 2. I have seen and read a few less than favorable reviews of the fork on that bike. I have a 2017 trance adv 2 and I am pretty happy with the Yari. I would be tempted to grab the 1. That is a pretty good price for a 2018 model. I am not sure if it is okay to mention shop names, but bicyclewarehouse has a few med 2017 trance adv 2 left over at a great price.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dcr1 View Post
    I have seen and read a few less than favorable reviews of the fork on that bike.
    Can you post a link to the bad review on this fork, please?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    The Rev fork gets knocked for being old tech open-bath. They work great till you reach some point (of fork speed) when a pressurized cartridge offers better control. That is why the Charger upgrade kit is popular.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Here is one I saw. I am not sure who this guy is, but he was not happy with the fork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFKlZE4YHKY

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dcr1 View Post
    Here is one I saw. I am not sure who this guy is, but he was not happy with the fork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFKlZE4YHKY
    Saw that one. He complained mightily about the fork - then realized that the demo bike was not set up right for his weight - then adjusted the fork - then said he liked it much better - then said he thought a $4000 bike should have a better fork like a Pike or Yari - then said he felt the fork felt under dampened. The Revalation and the Yari have the same damper and all three have the Debonair spring. He seems all over the place.

You mentioned that you saw a few negative reviews. Got any other links?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I would have to do some searching. Clint was pretty happy on his 1st ride on the 2018 trance 1. I would go for the 1. I just think it is a pretty complete package. $800 is nothing to sneeze at.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYZGwFw1lJk