2018 Trance 3 overkill and heavy?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2018

2018 Trance 3 overkill and heavy?

Hi all,
    Right now I mostly ride 5-6 miles of rough dirt roads(w/ washboards) to jeep trails in high desert forest. The trails get rocky, with loose rocks and small-medium boulders. I currently ride it with a '96 Cannondale F500 HT(front shock pretty much blown), but would like more comfort on the washboards/rocky sections and bounce around less.

I found a good deal on 2018 Trance 3 for $1380. It seems to have lowish components, but could be a good deal. I don't mind upgrading parts later if it's the right bike for my needs. I also don't mind spending a bit more for a different bike it it meets my needs better, especially if has better components. On test ride, fit seemed pretty good. I didn't get to test on long climbs, which is other style of riding I like.

-I like riding to jeep and singletrack trails on dirt roads whenever possible, mix of flats and hills. If not, drive to a trailhead.
    -I like climbing a lot, rocky, technical mostly, but used to do very long climbs up gravel fire roads and ride down singletrack trails w/ tight switchbacks
    -I ride descents pretty slow and mellow, but want FS for comfort and added safety/ability.

I wonder if Trance is overkill, too heavy or not good enough climber for my needs?
    The Suntour Aion 35 does not lock, will that affect climbing?
    Whatcha think?

If bike is overkill, would something like a 2018 Camber be a better fit for my needs and better climber? There is also a 2018 Camber comp for $1899 and a 2018 Stumpjumper comp for $2000. Test rode both, but only parking lot and they aren't available to demo.

Thanks & Peace.
    Last edited by Kind_Karma; 10-08-2018 at 07:54 AM.

mtbr member
    That's a great deal on the Trance 3.

I have a Trance 2 and live in the flats of North Texas. Its way more bike than I need for the trails I normally ride, but it's perfect for the escapes I make in the summer to the mountains. My thinking is, I would rather have more bike than I need most of the time, than too little bike some of the time.

I have found my Trance 2 to be an adequate climber when I need it. I'm sure other bikes would be much better, but then they couldn't handle the fun parts later like my Trance can.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Cool, thank you for your sharing feedback and experience.
    Do you ever lockout suspension for climbs?
    This lower model doesn't have lockout, which kinda thre me off when I did a test ride.

Thanks & Peace.

mtbr member
    I have never locked mine out. I did a 7 mile and 3500 foot climb on a trail in New Mexico. While I did a lot of hike a bike, I don't think a hard tail would have made a difference for me that day.

I concentrate on my cadence on the big climbs and don't get a lot of pedal bob.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

WillWorkForTrail
    The Trance is very much a trail bike. It sounds like you might do better with a more XC oriented bike. If you're ok with spending some more time and looking at the used market, maybe look at the Anthem? It has suspension more aimed at your needs. The Trance is really more of a get rowdy bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Yeah, I was wondering about that. I ride rough road and trails, but don't bomb downhills. Are XC bikes plush enough to push through rocky sections and rock gardens without rattling my brain?

I rode yesterday and further realized that I love technical climbing most. I want to get better at popping up rock slabs at low speed and exploring "off trail". I don't know if trail or XC would be better for that?

Thanks & Peace.

WillWorkForTrail
    An XC bike - an Anthem for instance, at least the new one, is 110mm of rear travel and 130 front. Some of the older ones will be 100mm on both ends. Even that will be more than enough to take the edge off some chunk. And it may be easier to "pop up rock slabs" with less suspension to load at low speeds.

Giant has a LOT of demo's going on right now. Well, they pretty much always do. See if you can find a demo happening somewhere near you and go test ride a couple of bikes you think you might be interested in. I can tell you that based on what you're saying, XC seems more the way forward for you, but at the same time I've reached a point where I typically have stopped recommending XC bikes for anyone who isn't expressly interested in XC racing, because Trail bikes are SO good, and truly much more durable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Honestly coming from the old cannondale any of those bikes are going to feel really good if they fit and you take some time to get it dialed in. Might be a little more travlel than you need but I think once you learn to ride them you will be happy with any of them.

I do think the Giant Maestro suspension is probably a better pedaling bike than the other 2 but i haven't ridden any modified single pivots in a long time. I had a Giant Anthem for a long time and really loved that bike. Agree on above if your LBS could find or get you similar deal on Anthem sounds like it would perfect for your needs.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!