2018 Giant Trance Jr. vs 2019 XS Stance for an 11 year old- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018

2018 Giant Trance Jr. vs 2019 XS Stance for an 11 year old

So my little shredder is moving off his 24" bike. He's an all mountain rider (he'd ride downhill in a park all day if left to his own devices, but we don't live near a park, so he has to be able to climb). He's right at 5' and 90 pounds. I'm set on Giant for a couple of reasons (mainly a deal I have with the local dealer).

I'm, personally feeling the Trance Jr. more, but he seems to like the new Stance for some reason. Anyone have thoughts on comparisons on these two bikes?

Also, any word on when the new 2019 Stances will ship to stores?

mtbr member
    Giant Trance Jr.:
    1x11 but only 380% range cassette + one could argue if 30/42 is a reasonable climbing gear on a kids bike

no dropper post

rim width unknown, I doubt they are 35mm internal width (would actually be too wide for the 2.3 tires)

The Stance got a dropper post and better low gear although a 2x10 drivetrain is kinda awkward for jumping (chain slap)

For some reason Giant decided not to post any reach or stack measurements for the Trance which makes a size comparison to the Stance kinda difficult although STAND OVER HEIGHT is much better at the Trance

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    Giant Trance Jr.:
    1x11 but only 380% range cassette + one could argue if 30/42 is a reasonable climbing gear on a kids bike

no dropper post

rim width unknown, I doubt they are 35mm internal width (would actually be too wide for the 2.3 tires)

The Stance got a dropper post and better low gear although a 2x10 drivetrain is kinda awkward for jumping (chain slap)

For some reason Giant decided not to post any reach or stack measurements for the Trance which makes a size comparison to the Stance kinda difficult although STAND OVER HEIGHT is much better at the Trance
    We would probably convert to 1X eventually and will also need to get some shorter cranks most likely. It's weird because the Giant website says there's only one model stance for 2019 (and only lists one price), but the dealer I spoke with said there will still be a Stance 1 and Stance 2 (priced around 1500 and 1700 respectively, I believe).

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    As an aside: did the Trance Jr. just sell like crap or what? There is almost ZERO information out there from people who have actually ridden it or whose kids have ridden it. My google skills are pretty good, but I can find almost no user experiences with the Trance Jr., just people trying to sell them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Any more input on the Trance Jr anyone? Is it legit? Looking at it for my son and XS wife to share (only way I can talk her into upgrading her XS Kona Tika).

I find high end JR gear often fits my wife better than the womens stuff, Volkl's JR ski line for example. Many manufacturers often just give a sticker/paint job on a much lesser model but some offer the real deal scaled down. I'm a beginner with the MTB stuff and wouldn't know the difference and was happy to see Hogfly make this thread.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    As I said in my previous post: good luck finding someone who has ridden the Trance Jr. I've been researching buying one for like 6 months, and I've yet to find a single review or post of someone who has ridden one or whose kid has ridden one.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Just analyzing the rear suspension, Trance Jr is Maestro and the Stance is FlexPoint. Which will you pick? I'll take Maestro over any flex system.

Finding a Trance Jr is another story, have you checked offerings from other brands?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Just analyzing the rear suspension, Trance Jr is Maestro and the Stance is FlexPoint. Which will you pick? I'll take Maestro over any flex system.

Finding a Trance Jr is another story, have you checked offerings from other brands?
    Oh. There are tons of Trance Juniors out there (albeit, not sitting in shops ready to test ride). You can get them from the Giant website on closeout right now for around 1600, I believe. What seems to be impossible to find is anyone who has extensive experience with the bike. Evidently Giant made a bunch of them, but no one rides them, hah.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I hired one for my 11 yr old to ride on lift accessed trails here in NZ. He has a well specified hardtail with discs and rides well. He loved the bike, air suspension at both ends so I could set it up for his weight (about 30kg). Run the tyre pressure low. Great bike. One caveat, that thing weighs a ton, must be at least 35 lbs. The rental guy almost dislocated his shoulder getting it down from a wall display. I wouldn't want to pedal it uphill. Great fit however.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    my GF is 4"11 on a XS Trance 4,

the Trance 4 has a lower stand-over than the Stance which is why we went that direction.
    And is surprisingly has a lower stand-over height than every LIV bike (pique, hail etc).

All i did was put a 40mm stem and narrower Funn 710mm bars with 9 degree a backsweep to tighten up the cockpit.The bike fits her like a glove now.

she weigh's just a tad more than your son and all we had to do on the fork is order a soft negative spring for $10. the 34mm Aion is a very underrated fork! Also the new PCS RC2 damper is a direct drop in which would add Low and High speed compression adjustment

soft spring:
    https://www.srsuntour.com/products/c...nt=38395294414

anyways something to think about

edit:

2018 Trance standover height XS: 697mm Small: 701mm
    2018 Stance standover height XS: 691mm Small: 694mm

it actually looks like the lowered the stand-over height on the 2018 Stance, not sure about the 2019 (2017 was 700mm+)

If he fits on an XS or S Trance 4 thats the route i would go.
    He may be able to to get away with a size small with a 35mm stem and the bike would serve him well for another 3+ years or until he reaches 5"9 +.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thank you for that info Maclgallant. I went with your advice and bought my son a Trance 4 in size small. I realize it's not ideal being a size big for him but it should be not too bad by spring when he get's to try it. I'm hiding iit until Christmas, it will be painful for him waiting for the snow to melt.

I'll do a 35mm stem, flat bar and fork spring as suggested, keep the factory stuff for later. Again thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sore Legs View Post
    I'm hiding iit until Christmas, it will be painful for him waiting for the snow to melt.
    will be even more painful if you tell him he must have grown to at least 5'2" in height till spring
    or the bike will be sold again!
    Last edited by Steel Calf; 09-26-2018 at 11:47 PM.