2018 Giant Reign- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Reach has increased by 15mm, if this trend keeps up I'll be riding a small in a few years. I'm glad they kept the front at 160mm, I thought it might have increased to 170mm since the Trance now has 150mm.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm already on the small /medium cusp. The reach on these bikes is ridiculous. It certainly helps when standing and honking the pedals - there's the feeling of space and stability - but seated, the bikes just feel long.
    Giant is not the only guilty party here. BMC, santa cruz mondraker etc are just so long they are starting to feel unwieldy.
    Only cannondale and niner seem to have restrained themselves from going too slack too long and too low.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clone185 View Post
    Reach has increased by 15mm, if this trend keeps up I'll be riding a small in a few years. I'm glad they kept the front at 160mm, I thought it might have increased to 170mm since the Trance now has 150mm.
    you can downsize now and have a shorter seattube with the ability to run a 175 or 200mm dropper post, I'm on a 2015 Trance size L and the 2018 Reign M should fit me perfectly

mtbr member
    May 2004
    With the Anthem that results in full use of 440mm 27.2 OD seat post. There be a lot of extra comfort in that!! TT on the small is 590mm which what the medium RKT has.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    you can downsize now and have a shorter seattube with the ability to run a 175 or 200mm dropper post, I'm on a 2015 Trance size L and the 2018 Reign M should fit me perfectly
    I'm on a medium 2015 Reign. Based on reach it sits right in the middle of the new 2018 small and medium bikes, roughly 20mm either way. The 2018 Reign is now 80mm longer in the wheelbase compared to my old 2013 Reign and that's all in the front. I've been on my current bike for over two years now and still haven't managed to beat my times down my favourite track that I set on my 2013 bike. Longer, slacker might make them more stable at high speeds but it slows them down in tighter corners and they require more effort to get them back up to speed. I think my next bike will be a Trance.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    If you buy into the hype around LLS you should be even faster but I concur it's not the case. The new generation of longer bikes requires more effort. I think xc bikes can still benefit but AM bikes have pretty much been on the number for a few years.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    I'm already on the small /medium cusp. The reach on these bikes is ridiculous. It certainly helps when standing and honking pedals - there's the feeling of space and stability - but seated, the bikes just feel long.
    Giant is not the only guilty party here. BMC, santa cruz mondraker etc are just so long they are starting to feel unwieldy.
    Only cannondale and niner seem to have restrained themselves from going too slack too long and too low.
    Specialized Enduro reach still not that long. On both the 650B and 29, the medium reach is 430 mm (vs 459 mm on the new Reign) and the large is 450 mm (vs 473 mm). Stumpy is shorter again...

mtbr member
    Longer, slacker might make them more stable at high speeds but it slows them down in tighter corners and they require more effort to get them back up to speed. I think my next bike will be a Trance.
    I think it takes time getting used to slacker geometry and fully leverge it's advantages, a slacker headangle requires the rider to move more weight above the front wheel or you'll wash out in a tight corner as it happened to me when I switched from my old 68 140mm full suspension to the 66 140-160mm Trance SX in 2014.

I did a lot of testriding back then and considered the 65 HA of the Reign beeing too slack. The 160mm setting on the Trance gives me a 66 HA which I felt as optimal.

However last year I couldn't get comfortable on the new Trance either as they steepened the HA by 0.5 on the new frame which adds to a full degree if you factor in the additional travel (I ride 66 @160mm vs. 67 @150mm on the new Trance)

The 2015-2017 Reign sucked at riding uphill IMO, especially the 2015 model suffered from a too weak damper tune which was adressed in 2016 but the damper still required a lot of air pressure. I have my hope that Giant adressed these issues with the new frame as a lot of uphill riding is shown in the new promo video:

https://youtu.be/62pD_GerKp0

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'll take it that you reply is a general statement and your're not suggesting that I don't know how to ride my bike properly, I would have thought after 2 1/2 years I would have figured it out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I would have thought after 2 1/2 years I would have figured it out.
    I get your position here, I feel the same as you about my riding the same bike for 2 1/2yrs. Mine is a Kona 134 and compared to my old XC bike it is LL&S. It took me a few months to learn to turn it on the tight singletrack I ride. I'm still not fast compared to many guys around here, but it's not the bike. ha
    Following the race scene on Pinkbike and Redbull we see all the companies are moving the LL&S way. They are doing it cause their riders want it so they can ride competitively. My point is LLS is not a marketing fad being pushed on the consumer, rather it's an evolution to faster, better handling bikes. On your Reign the over-leveraged shock may be what keeps you from matching your times on the 2013? just guessing at what are so many many variables.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    There are probably several different factors that contribute to it, at the end of the day I'm only talking about 10 seconds over a 4 1/2 minute run so not a big deal just interesting.

I'll try to get a ride on one at the demo day and see how it rides on the trail. The fact that the medium size should take a 150mm dropper post due to the new shock mount is something I'm keen on. The red one looks good so it will be interesting to see what models and colours are available in NZ

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Pinkbike's Matt Wragg seems to think the reach is spot on for the latest Giant releases:

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/bike-fas...r-opinion.html

The general consensus from the initial reviews as well seems to mention that even if the front is longer, moving from the older Reign to the 2018 one is seamless. Many words are also devoted to mentioning how it's supposed to turn better and pedal better.

For all intents and purposes, it seems this latest iteration of the Reign is more of an evolution. Since the last one was already ahead of its time, this should bode well for those looking for a race-ready rig.

And having a coil shock with a lockout on the new Reign Advanced? Well played, Giant, well played.

mtbr member
    My 2017 Reign 2, actually could be a little longer in the front & I'd like that length to be taken from the rear ^^

It's a super stable gnar shredder... My only gripe is that it could be a little more playful.

But, I'm definitely happy w/ how it tames the gnarliest of downs & really comes to life @Mach Chicken ;-)

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

banned
    May 2017
    Have a 2018 Reign 2 on order and want to throw some plus tires on it, anyone know if a 2.8 will fit in the back? Pretty sure a 2.6 will fit easy. Thanks.

banned
    May 2017
    Ended up installing 2.6's with plenty of room. IMO the reach is super short, in the stock setup my knees almost hit the bar when turning. Got a large at 6"1", think I should have gone with an XL. Put on a 80mm stem with 800mm wide bars to get enough room. Really wanted to stay with a 50mm stem or shorter, but no way it would fit.

Hill eater
    How are people enjoying their 2018 Reigns now after some time on them?
    I am looking at buying a 2018 on run out sale before the 2019 models come in.
    Do people think the Advanced 0 is worth the extra money over the Advanced 1 ?
    Is the lockout nice and firm for climbing with the coil on the 0?

banned
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    How are people enjoying their 2018 Reigns now after some time on them?
    I am looking at buying a 2018 on run out sale before the 2019 models come in.
    Do people think the Advanced 0 is worth the extra money over the Advanced 1 ?
    Is the lockout nice and firm for climbing with the coil on the 0?
    Did not work out for me, bike is not agile and was not fun for me going DH or uphill.

Probably more to do with the 27.5 wheelsize and the long chainstays, sold it for a Norco Range 29er which I really like so far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    hi guys! may i ask help. currently my bike is 2018 giant reign 1. 5, with 2019 fox 36 180mm grip2. can i ask help for the fork settings? my weight is 220 lbs plus gear maybe around 5lbs. i dont do jumps. just mild drops/ roots.
    what is a good base settings for the air psi, hsc , lsc and rebound?
    thank you

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jun4785 View Post
    hi guys! may i ask help. currently my bike is 2018 giant reign 1. 5, with 2019 fox 36 180mm grip2. can i ask help for the fork settings? my weight is 220 lbs plus gear maybe around 5lbs. i dont do jumps. just mild drops/ roots.
    what is a good base settings for the air psi, hsc , lsc and rebound?
    thank you
    You can find good starting point on FOX page:

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=938

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    Did not work out for me, bike is not agile and was not fun for me going DH or uphill.

Probably more to do with the 27.5 wheelsize and the long chainstays, sold it for a Norco Range 29er which I really like so far.
    Which has the same 435 CS length, or longer in XL. 80mm stem - sounds like you were between sizes...

mtbr member
    Found a 2018 Giant Reign Advanced 0 online for around 40% off...

Changing out tires.

The Shorty is definitely short in the width department... only around 61mm across.

Changed it out for a 2.5 3C MT Assegai... almost 65mm across & counting (stretching).

For the 58mm wide 2.4 HRII :meh: I'm replacing it with a Specialized Eliminator GRID 2.6 - which based on my prior 2.6 Butcher experience should measure around 63mm across.

Also changing the 125mm dropper for a 150mm version.

30t Chainring going on for the 34t... I'm weak on the climbs.

Frame protection to be installed as well.

May chuck a 50mm stem on aka personal preference.

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Does anyone have any info regarding bearing sizes and quantites for this generation of the Reign?