2018 Giant Anthem Suspension Maintenance- Mtbr.com
    Gun
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016

2018 Giant Anthem Suspension Maintenance

Hello:

I just purchased a used 2018 Anthem Advanced Pro 29 1. I have never owned a full suspension bike before. Can anyone tell me what kind of maintenance and service I need to do on the suspension pivot points? Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Thanks,
    Gun
    Last edited by Gun; 02-28-2019 at 04:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Make sure they are torqued correctly. Donít spray high pressure water directly into them. Replace them when they wear out. Bigger issue I see is the rear shock hasnít been maintained properly.

Gun
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Grubetown,

Thanks for the information. The person I bought the bike from had the fork and shock serviced so I am good for a while. I am going to plan on having the fork and shock serviced annually just because they are so expensive to replace.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have a 2012 Anthem X 29er and also purchased used, back in 2016. Soon after purchasing the bike things were getting noisy in the BB area. I pulled the Maestro linkage apart and pried the seals off the cartridge bearings and all but one were bone dry. I repacked with quality grease and went on my way.

Two seasons later I repaced all the bearings. To my surprise the brand new giant bearings, 6 bearings for the lower link were all dry, out of the factory packaging. I replaced the top 4 bearings with "EnduroMax" which cost less and have plenty of their high quality synthetic lube.

Also had a similar experience with my 09 Trance many years ago so it appears Giant may be getting bearings from a lower quality source. They are all sealed but what is the point if there is little or no lube in them.

I would suggest checking the condition of the bearings. I pry the seals of with an exacto- knife. If dry pack with a quality synthetic waterproof grease. If they are rusted/dry, replace them with "EnduroMax" bearings.

Good luck with the bike!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yes the giant bearings are v low quality - don't even come with waterproof grease from the factory. Mine lasted a year, and the LBS damaged the paint replacing them... Even with the right tool!

Master of Beat
    I can't find what bearings are needed for an Anthem (2018 advanced in particular.) Are you guys just going to diant dealer and ordering? Also I see there used to be a nice maestro tool you can buy but its no longer made? Anyone have any info?