2018 Giant Anthem Advanced Pro 29- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

2018 Giant Anthem Advanced Pro 29

I just picked up my 2018 Anthem Advanced Pro 29. This bike is amazing! The short srtoke link, large vol can and short chain stay has transformed this bike! (I have ridden 4 generation of the Anthem, 26, 26, 29, 27.5 and back to 29) and this is the most fun bike I have ever owned.

With a few changes the bike is at 22.2lbs in a Med. size (inc. pedals, cage, Garmin mount etc)

2018 Giant Anthem Advanced Pro 29-screen-shot-2017-11-14-2.10.40-pm.jpg

mtbr member

Looks good

mtbr member
    Vey nice looking ride - and wicked light!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Please post some updates as to your thoughts on the bike after you get some time in on it. I'm considering selling my Epic and getting one of these for next year.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That really is a fantastic bike! I test rode the 1 (parking lot only, so thatís not exactly a test) but I certainly couldnít find any glaring, immediate faults.

The Pro 1 weighed 25 lbs on the bike shop scale.

Sure am tempted, but when bikes get into this price range, I start thinking custom-made hardtail of some sort- for where/how I ride.

ĎMr Giantí Clint Gibbs has a couple of nice videos on the 2018 Anthem Pro 0 on YouTube.

Curious to hear any updates thoughts/experiences as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Couldn't agree more. Great XC bike. Very active suspension for 90mm.

What changes did you make to get the weight down? Mine was over slightly over 23lbs out of the box without pedals.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Another data point - I have the 2018 anthem pro 29 0 in the small frame size. Stock bike was 21.5 pounds with 2-3 oz of sealant per tire (and no reflectors :-)). With pedals (xtr9000) and a different grip and bar cut to 740mm, it went to 22.1 pounds. Bike was weighed at the shop. 23 pounds with no pedals seems a bit high for a 0 model even in the largest size. I would double check the scale. I have seen others say that the pro 29 1 weights 23 pounds out of the box for medium.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Do any of you owners know if the Anthem 29er can take a 2.3Ē tire in the rear?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Should not be a problem for 2.3" width tires. Picture shown with factory Ikon 2.2" tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Giant Anthem Advanced Pro 29-img_1795.jpg  

2018 Giant Anthem Advanced Pro 29-img_1796.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Above and beyond, bikeguy! Thanks.

I know wider tires on an XC/race bike might seem peculiar, but I ask because of some of the rocky jeep-trail type stuff that I ride where a little wider tire can sometimes be nice.
    2018 Specialized Diverge Expert
    2018 Giant Anthem Pro 29 1

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I got a Pro 1 to demo over this past weekend. Really impressed with how this bikes rides. Very planted and responsive feeling suspension but the bike still felt very playful and pedaling was responsive when out of the saddle and hammering. Anyone wanna buy a nice used Epic? The demo bike had a few tweaks from stock. Tioga Spyder saddle, Racing Ralph 2.25 Snakeskins, 700mm flat carbon bar (still Giant Contact SLR), and XT pedals. Medium frame. 23.8 lbs. Bike was pretty dirty too so maybe subtract a few hundred more grams of mud if you're really nitpicking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sducomb View Post
    I got a Pro 1 to demo over this past weekend. Really impressed with how this bikes rides. Very planted and responsive feeling suspension but the bike still felt very playful and pedaling was responsive when out of the saddle and hammering. Anyone wanna buy a nice used Epic? The demo bike had a few tweaks from stock. Tioga Spyder saddle, Racing Ralph 2.25 Snakeskins, 700mm flat carbon bar (still Giant Contact SLR), and XT pedals. Medium frame. 23.8 lbs. Bike was pretty dirty too so maybe subtract a few hundred more grams of mud if you're really nitpicking.
    What year is your Epic and what are the reasons you like the Anthem over the Epic?

I was out Sunday for a recovery ride and ran into the Giant Demo van. They had Anthem Pro 29 1 I got to test. This was a small frame so just a bit too small for me. Still compared to my 21.5lbs geared hardtail it was pretty nice. Very push on the downhills and still good on the climbs. Loved the ability to lock front and rear suspension so I could stand and hammer like my single speed. I could not really explore the seated climbing due to the frame size, but it did seem like it was very little compromise vs my hardtail. Sadly I did not have the time to wait for the medium to return to ride that, but I am starting to think I should start saving money for one of these. Still the Epic is sort of the benchmark for FS XC race bikes so it is interesting to know how the compares.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    What year is your Epic and what are the reasons you like the Anthem over the Epic?.
    My Epic is a 2014 Carbon Comp frame with a totally custom build up.

Reasons for wanting to upgrade are:
    1) My Epic is 4 years old and I'd like to sell it while it still has some decent value.
    2) I mostly focus on racing NUE and there were times in races where the older geometry of Epic definitely felt a bit outclassed on tough descents.
    3) I want Eagle for the big and technical climbs in the NUE races I do.
    4) The multi link suspension is much smoother and more responsive than the older Epic design. The Epic definitely feels like more of a softened hard tail compared to the Anthem. But, the Anthem didn't feel any slower or less firm when putting in hard XC race efforts. Also, it of course has the full lockout option.
    5) My Epic is 24lbs and there's really nothing else I can do to lighten it at this point. I would like a little bit lighter bike for XC racing. I'm eyeing up an Anthem 0.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I just purchased a Medium Pro 1 and absolutely love it. Mine weighed in at 24.5 pounds bone stock with Time 8 pedals and a carbon cage. I ended up installing a Wren 70mm stem and a Enve SWP bar on it and after cutting the steer tube to where I want it, It is now down to just under the 24# mark. I plan on putting a set of Sram XX1 cranks and LB carbon flyweight wheels within the next couple of weeks. I'm hoping this will get just under the 23# range.

mtbr member
    I really want this bike. Your praise is not helping! The Jet 9 has Eagle now and I just got a new gravel bike. The marriage can take no more this year!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Choro View Post
    I really want this bike. Your praise is not helping! The Jet 9 has Eagle now and I just got a new gravel bike. The marriage can take no more this year!
    Definitely curious to see what our team pricing will be on them. Also, I think I'd stay away from Niner until all the restructuring and sale is complete. No telling what it could do to existing warranties and parts availability.

mtbr member
    Definitely curious to see what our team pricing will be on them. Also, I think I'd stay away from Niner until all the restructuring and sale is complete. No telling what it could do to existing warranties and parts availability.
    I own the jet now and upgraded it to eagle this year. Probably wasn't totally clear on that. Basically I've already spent a lot of coin and no team pricing will be low enough...

Unless someone out there is interested in buying a super slick Jet 9 RDO, that now has eagle on it, from me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Choro View Post
    I own the jet now and upgraded it to eagle this year. Probably wasn't totally clear on that. Basically I've already spent a lot of coin and no team pricing will be low enough...

Unless someone out there is interested in buying a super slick Jet 9 RDO, that now has eagle on it, from me.

I saw the pricing this afternoon. You might wanna find yourself a good divorce lawyer soon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I saw the pricing this afternoon. You might wanna find yourself a good divorce lawyer soon.
    Or he can learn to live with New-Bike-Lust. I've done that, and they say it's the source of what little character I have.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    Or he can learn to live with New-Bike-Lust. I've done that, and they say it's the source of what little character I have.
    I like this! Used to be so good at delayed gratification.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Has anybody put a dropper on one yet - any issues with cable routing? I'm worried about dropper lever taking up same bar space as shock lock-outs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I put a ks dropper on it and it works great. I was worried Iíd have to take off the lock out, but it all fit on the bars pretty seamlessly. I was reluctant to put a dropper on, but it has made the bike come alive for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KO21 View Post
    I put a ks dropper on it and it works great. I was worried Iíd have to take off the lock out, but it all fit on the bars pretty seamlessly. I was reluctant to put a dropper on, but it has made the bike come alive for me.
    Great news. Any pics of the bar set-up?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by john_bikeguy View Post
    Another data point - I have the 2018 anthem pro 29 0 in the small frame size. Stock bike was 21.5 pounds with 2-3 oz of sealant per tire (and no reflectors :-)). With pedals (xtr9000) and a different grip and bar cut to 740mm, it went to 22.1 pounds. Bike was weighed at the shop. 23 pounds with no pedals seems a bit high for a 0 model even in the largest size. I would double check the scale. I have seen others say that the pro 29 1 weights 23 pounds out of the box for medium.
    what height and inseam are you mate?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Medium Pro1. 3/4" cut from steer tube. xtr pedals, no cage, no sealant. 24lbs 6oz.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Clink View Post
    Great news. Any pics of the bar set-up?
    Here you go, now I realize what a mess my garage is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Giant Anthem Advanced Pro 29-anthen-29-picture-2.jpg  

2018 Giant Anthem Advanced Pro 29-anthem-29-picture.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Here you go, now I realize what a mess my garage is.
    Brilliant, thanks. Does anybody know if it is available frame only?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Clink View Post
    Brilliant, thanks. Does anybody know if it is available frame only?
    Itís not. I had the anthem advanced 0 from last year and moved most of my parts to the 2018 frame. Made it easier to sell that bike with new parts that were less expensive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Giant website shows $100.00 increase in price now. Whatís another hundred when youíre spending $4,900.00??? LOL

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    They increased a lot of the costs of bikes at the new year due to an increase in shipping costs. Dealers are paying more for product as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    +1. Sign o' the times, I guess.

Pretty sure I'll have one of these eventually.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
    I know wider tires on an XC/race bike might seem peculiar, but I ask because of some of the rocky jeep-trail type stuff that I ride where a little wider tire can sometimes be nice.
    Ditto. Those pics are helpful, but I'm curious about the front end on the Anthem 29? Not trying to turn the thing into 29+ bike, but I would think you could go at least 2.4" on this? Anyone have any idea?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Tire width at the fork

Quote Originally Posted by Rider51 View Post
    Ditto. Those pics are helpful, but I'm curious about the front end on the Anthem 29? Not trying to turn the thing into 29+ bike, but I would think you could go at least 2.4" on this? Anyone have any idea?

Hi,

I havenít tried wider tires myself. I measured 2.75 inches of clearance at the narrowest points on the Fox 32 float shocks used on the Anthem 0 (this was about 1/3 down from where the tread starts on my tires). 2.4 inch tires should work but need to be a bit careful if you also run low air pressure+wide rims+hammer the trails. The shock is common enough that you hopefully can get some good feedback from Fox or someone that has tried themselves.

mtbr member
    Thanks for responding John. Lots of decisions to make. Trying to find the right bike for me, my riding style, before plunking down over $4k (or more) for a new bike.

mtbr member
    I'm seriously considering one of these, I'm a huge fan of Giant's Maestro suspension design. I currently have a 2015 Trance 1 which I love. I've been getting into longer XC and marathon races lately and while the Trance does fine it is a bit more bike than I need for most of the courses.

Any thoughts on the Anthem Advanced Pro 29 1 vs the Anthem 29 1? The component spec is exactly the same...wondering if the carbon frame is worth an additional $1100+?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by azmtbkr81 View Post
    I'm seriously considering one of these, I'm a huge fan of Giant's Maestro suspension design. I currently have a 2015 Trance 1 which I love. I've been getting into longer XC and marathon races lately and while the Trance does fine it is a bit more bike than I need for most of the courses.

Any thoughts on the Anthem Advanced Pro 29 1 vs the Anthem 29 1? The component spec is exactly the same...wondering if the carbon frame is worth an additional $1100+?
    Great question. But from someone who's ridden carbon, I for one could never go back to aluminium. Def i'd pay for the carbon. I have a mate with that exact bike, its insanely nice in the flesh too. The bike, not the guy. LOL

mtbr member
    What I find equally interesting is that the price for the Anthem 29, and Anthem Advanced 29 is almost identical. But it brings up the age old question. Do you want the better spec'd frame, or better components?

I would agree this bike should excel at XC endurance or marathon races, or just anyone who likes to go fast for a while really, but isn't planning on hitting every rock garden or jump head on.

As I said in another thread, the lines have blurred between an XC Endurance bike and a short travel trail bike so much, I would think you could ride this bike on almost any trail, unless you truly plan on hitting a lot of jumps and rock gardens head on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider51 View Post
    What I find equally interesting is that the price for the Anthem 29, and Anthem Advanced 29 is almost identical. But it brings up the age old question. Do you want the better spec'd frame, or better components?

I would agree this bike should excel at XC endurance or marathon races, or just anyone who likes to go fast for a while really, but isn't planning on hitting every rock garden or jump head on.

As I said in another thread, the lines have blurred between an XC Endurance bike and a short travel trail bike so much, I would think you could ride this bike on almost any trail, unless you truly plan on hitting a lot of jumps and rock gardens head on.
    With the geometry changes in the Anthem, that's a fair call.

mtbr member
    Good advice, thank you both. I've never owned a carbon bike so maybe I don't know what I am missing, although I have to say I think Giant makes the best aluminum bikes in the industry. I actually prefer Shimano drivetrains but in this case, for the type of riding I want to do in the mountains of Arizona, Utah, and Colorado , the added gear on the Eagle drivetrain makes a big difference. Tough call. It's great that Giant offers so many different frame and component combos, just makes it tough to pick.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You'll prefer SRAM when you try the good stuff!

mtbr member
    I prefer SRAM too, the Eagle X01 really impressed me the two times I tried it, no doubt. Having said that, any gearing today, is better than gearing was just 5 years ago. So if you're comparing it to that, and don't test ride the Eagle, you'll be impressed by almost anything new of quality.

As to aluminum vs. carbon, that's an age old question. You really need to ride both and test it. I am sold on carbon, but I'm older, I appreciate the small amount of comfort you get from carbon. But it's not a huge deal. Giant's Aluxx really is a nice alloy material. So if you are good with aluminum, that Anthem 29-1 with the SRAM Eagle is an astounding deal at $3,825. You'd be hard pressed to find another bike of this quality, with those components, and carbon wheels, at this price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Has anyone experimented with a 120mm front fork yet?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    2018 Advanced Pro1
    Stock except...
    Hope Carbon Seatpost / WTB Silverado Team Saddle
    Niner RDO Carbon Bars (cut to 760mm)
    XTR Pedals
    23.6lbs

next easy drop in 1/2 lbs or so - go to the liteskin Racing Ralph/Rocket Ron / or even Thunderburt (rear only) depending on conditions.

First time on Maxxis Ikons... they seem painfully slow on my pavement/gravel commute - hoping I 'll like them more when the singletrack opens up here in Minnesota.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Can anyone respond with your weight & lbs pressure in rear/front fork? I'm having trouble utilizing sag suggestions and am curious. I also come from years of hardtail riding so anything not locked out feels like a waste of energy!
    That will change when the trails open up though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I am 170lbs. I set my pressures at 70f and 110r. After a few rides I am at 65f and 130r.
    I ride my hardtail and my dually both. You will find that your riding style will change a little when on your Anthem.
    Set your fork to go downhill, but set your rear to take out the trail chatter when pedalling. If you go too low pressure in the rear you will feel it start to wallow in the corners. Just bump it up a bit. Whenever you up the pressure think about giving some more rebound damping.
    I hate the Ikon's. I have a set of Schwalbe's to go on.
    This bike is very active. More so than any other dually I have owned. I will be using the lockout regularly.

mtbr member
    Finally rode one of these. Holy smokes! This was probably the best bike I have ever ridden. Wow!

As noted before, I'm always shopping, always in the long process of trying to figure out what's next, but if anyone ever shied away from one of these thinking it was a pure XC racer, I'd say this bike is nothing like the old Anthem X with it's angles. Depending on who you are, especially if you don't bomb trails like they're Enduro, this could be your only bike, just adding bigger tires and a dropper if you weren't racing it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I was really impressed with it as well.

Kind of hoping that maybe there will be a year-end discount on the 2018's; not sure if Giant is into that or not.

mtbr member
    They have done that in years past. IIRC new models tend to be announced around Memorial day, and you'll see about a 10% drop on current models.

For me this works really well with Giant, because they are a pretty conservative company, with changes from year to year mostly incremental, calculating. But your guess is as good as mine what their 2019 models will be like, and what price drops we may see on 2018 leftovers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Giant is conservative but the next step will be more 29 wheels which is a substantial change.

mtbr member
    I too think it's a very good chance we'll see a Trance in a 29 version for 2019, and we very well could see a more trail oriented Anthem as a 29er. It was a little surprising to see Giant almost completely drop 29ers a couple years back, but now that they've cracked the nut of making a 29er feel much more compliant and nimble (the Anthem 29 an impossibly amazing bike!), it stands to reason we'll see more of them.

What usually happens is every year carbon bikes get a little cheaper is the biggest thing, with components and sometimes wheels improving a little. If you look at current models, you can kinda presume that a bike will sort of appear somewhere between two models, but around the same price as the less expensive from last year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Generally when Giant does model year end sales, it's to clear out stock for the new models. That may not happen this year. The new Anthem Pro's have been hot sellers and several common sizes in the Pro 1 are already sold out.

chasing simplicity
    Also, one thing that may unfortunately keep prices high is high value of foreign currency compared to US dollar. Iíve actually noticed some price increases of late on a few different makes/models just since January. Some $100 or more in a couple cases. Havenít tracked Giant though.
    Never underestimate an old man with a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    several common sizes in the Pro 1 are already sold out.
    There are only four sizes available, and I have yet to see any size other than the Small ever listed as Limited Stock OR Out Of Stock, so I have a little trouble believing that statement.

mtbr member
    That is one of the advantages of being the biggest bike company in the world (plus making so many bikes for others), you have a much better grasp to what's likely to be in demand, for your bikes, and for other brands. You also have the ability to absorb short losses better when having to cut prices on older bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Anthem Pro 29er vs Anthem X 29er

I've been riding Anthem for a lot of years... ridden every Anthem variation from 26" to 29" .. I've been on the AnthemX Adv 29er for a few years and have really enjoyed the bike.

October last year I picked up a Pro 29er 0. Hands down its a better bike in every way.

My AnthemX Adv Spec...
    size M
    Full XTR 11spd, with SRAM XX1 casette
    Light Bicycle carbon wheels
    10.2kg

My Medium Pro 29er 0 spec is stock except for bars and saddle.. I use XTR pedals and it weighs in at 10.4kg. Its probably the least amount I've ever customised a bike. I was a little hesitant about the Level brakes as I've never had a good experience with SRAM brakes in the past ... but I have to say they are as good as the current XTR brakes if not having a bit more power.

The Pro 29er is a little heavier but Eagle is heavier than XTR 11spd.. to be honest the bike actually feels like it accelerates better and its far more agile than the old bike that overall, it "feels" much lighter.

The old AnthemX always required a bit of effort in the tight singletrack.. not so with the Pro 29er .. the shorter stays and updated geo makes an incredible difference. The bike is really agile but also very stable so they've struck a good balance I think.

The fox suspension was a bit of a pain to get right .. I found getting the balance between front and back to be difficult. The stepcast I find really sensitive to small changes in PSI.. but after a lot of fiddling I've settled on the following settings .. I'm ~78kg ready to ride.
    Fork - ~68PSI (23mm sag), 5 clicks rebound from full open, 2 clicks LSC.
    Shock - 10mm sag .. 4 clicks rebound from full open. I only really use all the rear travel on bigger hits.
    The lockout is good but I'd prefer the fork to have a little more give .. I think I'd use it more if it did.

Wheels are solid .. stiff .. only thing I was disappointed by was that they came with the 18point ratchet even when the Giant website says they come with the 36point ratchet. I upgraded this as I find the 18point has too much free play before kicking in.

The IKON tyres were a surprise .. I have used Schwalbe for years ..RaRa rear and RoRo front .. but I thought I'd give these a go and I'm not sure I'll go back .. they have a really nice round profile and I find them really predictable on turn in and braking.

Overall really happy with the bike .. a big improvement over the AnthemX !

2018 Giant Anthem Advanced Pro 29-bike.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Giant Anthem Advanced Pro 29-img_1108.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretski72 View Post
    I've been riding Anthem for a lot of years...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike.JPG 
Views:	353 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	1197061
    Can you link me to the ratchet upgrade you used? I have the lower spec'd carbon wheels on my SS and would like to upgrade mine as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

2018 Anthem Pro1

2018 Giant Anthem Advanced Pro 29-img_7307.jpg

(and yes, I've corrected the saddle angle!)

Advanced Pro1 Medium (22.8lbs / 10.34kg)

I put a Hope Pro Seatpost and Niner RDO Flat Bar (cut to 760mm)... I don't know what it actually saved in weight, but it did a bit.

I flipped the stem as well for a little more aggression. (anyone know the different between Giant Contact SL vs. SLR Stem in grams? probably negligible...)

XTR Pedals (which i might mention are the 3rd set in a year... and after about 300miles one has vertical play in the spindle again... grrrr)

Loving the bike, not loving guessing on suspension setup - I've been racing hardtail since I've been racing - so I just don't know what to expect.

I'm 170lbs/77.1kg race gear.

Right now I have 165 psi in rear shock (having a hard time measuring sag... maybe 20-25% ish? Maybe I just match my weight with PSI in this case?

90 psi in the front fork. Probably a little stiff.

I haven't bottomed either out, but I also haven't raced the bike yet (Thursday local hammer session will be the first!!! :-)

Next upgrade?
    -engagement seems poor, interested previous post mentioned that
    -the Stylo crank is probably a bit heavy by XC standards

Overall this bike feels really good and I'm looking forward to getting the hang of handling compared to the hardtail. The hardtail just seemed suuuuuuuper quick in the tight twisty stuff... this feels a little bit more sluggish.

2.2" Ikons at 20-25psi from the 2.35 RaRa at 18lbs is also a huge change but the Full Sus makes up for it.

Climbing technical on a FS is amazing... wow - I can't wait to race/climb through the technical sections with this bike.

Double lockout - I love it, but I also use this bike as commuter, gravel grinder and occasional road trainer for a challenge while I ride with friends. I need to practice using it in single-track for brief moments at a time.

HAPPY RIDER HERE!
    Last edited by Andrew.c.urban; 05-08-2018 at 12:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Do you know what the 10% Sag equates in PSI? You happen to match my weight - I'll probably try your settings. Measuring and seeing proper sag on the rear shock has been tough for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    DT Swiss Star Superlight Ratchet Kit | Chain Reaction Cycles

This is what I used .. the giant hubs are just DT SWISS 240s. Simple to change over.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hi Andrew... 10mm is not the same as 10% on a rear shock due to the leverage ratio.. for the 29er Pro it has 90mm rear travel but the shock stroke is only 37mm. So 10% is only 3.7mm .. I'm running about 10mm which is about 28% sag. Sounds like a lot I know and took me a while to settle on that (its around 140-145PSI) but this is what I found gave me the best balance and I still don't use all the travel on most rides. If I remember the "kool aid" Giant was spinning when the bike was released I think they mention that with the change in leverage the rear shock doesn't need to be run at such high pressures making the shock more responsive and the rebound damping more sensitive .. I must admit I can notice changes in 1 click either way on the rebound which on other bikes I'd generally need to change at least 2 clicks to get some difference. So maybe there's some science to it all ;-)

Don't forget to measure your sag with your compression dials set to fully open.

mtbr member
    Before ordering a DT star ratchet check your hubs. I think the XCR0 are the only wheels that use the DT internals. The XCR1 use a standard pawl hub. So unless you bought the Advanced Pro 29 0, you've got a pawl hub.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Yup, noticed that this morning. Do you know if the XCR1 is a rebranded 340 hub?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by the_riddler View Post
    Yup, noticed that this morning. Do you know if the XCR1 is a rebranded 340 hub?
    Well thatís disappointing. Even the PXCR-1 alloy rim wheels that came on my old 2015 Anthem X had the DT 240 internals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Apparently Giant feels their typical customer will be more sold on carbon rims than decent hubs. Meh... I'll probably sell my wheels and build a set of Stans/Hopes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    (its around 140-145PSI)
    Thank You!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by the_riddler View Post
    Apparently Giant feels their typical customer will be more sold on carbon rims than decent hubs. Meh... I'll probably sell my wheels and build a set of Stans/Hopes.
    Giant is a little behind the times on their carbon rims too. Only 21mm internal width on both the XCR1s and XCR0's when most others are going to 23-25mm internal widths. It's one of the reasons why I bought an Advanced Pro 1 this year versus a 0. Figured I'd rather spend the difference on wheels that are more what I want. I'm building up a set of Chinese carbon rims (25mm internal) with DT 240s (36t star) and CX-Ray spokes.

Redbird1998
    Mar 2008
    Mine is stock except XX1 eagle cranks. Bike weighs 24 and 6 oz. with eggbeater pedals and a carbon bottle cage. I don't know how some are claiming 23.5 stock even without pedals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Giant Anthem Advanced Pro 29-img_3687.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee View Post
    Medium Pro1. 3/4" cut from steer tube. xtr pedals, no cage, no sealant. 24lbs 6oz.
    I use a park scale. Not a bathroom scale. Pro 1 not a Pro 0
    My rears hock seems to be leaking oil. Pressure stays the same, anyone else have a problem?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I donít think thatís an issue. Mine also weeped a little oil in the beginning. Eventually stopped. As long as you donít see oil physically dripping down I wouldnít be concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Hi Andrew... 10mm is not the same as 10% on a rear shock due to the leverage ratio.. for the 29er Pro it has 90mm rear travel but the shock stroke is only 37mm. So 10% is only 3.7mm .. I'm running about 10mm which is about 28% sag. Sounds like a lot I know and took me a while to settle on that (its around 140-145PSI) but this is what I found gave me the best balance and I still don't use all the travel on most rides. If I remember the "kool aid" Giant was spinning when the bike was released I think they mention that with the change in leverage the rear shock doesn't need to be run at such high pressures making the shock more responsive and the rebound damping more sensitive .. I must admit I can notice changes in 1 click either way on the rebound which on other bikes I'd generally need to change at least 2 clicks to get some difference. So maybe there's some science to it all ;-)

Don't forget to measure your sag with your compression dials set to fully open.
    Awesome! Thanks! Our of curiosity - are you trail riding/racing - what type of terrain and riding are you doing?

My main goal is XC races 1-4 hours in length 2-4,000 elevation. Elite/Expert Category.

A side note - I did a nice ride in Duluth, MN and this bike was fantastic for an all day trail style ride - check it out --> https://www.strava.com/activities/1604609831
    2018 Giant Anthem Advanced Pro 29-screen-shot-2018-06-06-12.23.21-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Would like to know how tall are you? I am 5'6 thinking about S or M.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Hi, I am also 5í6Ē. My legs are a bit short vs upper torso so I picked the small frame size because of stand over height. To compensate for reach, I bought an 80mm stem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hi, I am also 5í6Ē. My legs are a bit short vs upper torso so I picked the small frame size because of stand over height. To compensate for reach, I bought an 80mm stem.
    Do you mind tell me what is your inseam? I am riding 2017 giant anthem 27.5 size S feeling okay.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Hi, my inseam is 29-30Ē

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    hey guys sorry to hijack this thread but the Anthem Advance 2 27.5 is high on my list for my next bike. I know the anthem leans more towards a xc bike but has anyone ridden it on moderate to rough single tracks. Nothing enduro but decent climbs, descents, rough trail, twisty etc?

I don't think I need a 150mm travel trail bike where I ride predominately. I really like the specs on the Anthem and when I demo'd one and a Trance the Anthem just felt better to me. Seemed to want to go with each pedal stroke.

Thanks in advance for any input.

J-

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Hi rieeÖ did your rear shock stop leaking ?. Mine does the same and not sure how long it is expected to do this etc until it becomes a problem
    I use a park scale. Not a bathroom scale. Pro 1 not a Pro 0
    My rears hock seems to be leaking oil. Pressure stays the same, anyone else have a problem?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quite a while, or so it seemed. IDK where it all came from because it never leaked any air. I will send it for service after the season is over but for now it seems to be working alright.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    No worries...I only have about 100k's on mine , all working fine also so hopefully it will stop
    . Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Picking up a 2018 Anthem Pro 29 1 this weekend.

20% off of MSRP; didnít think I would find anything better than that.

Many California dealers are offering 20% off several models right now. That is a good deal where I live.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by GA2018 View Post
    No worries...I only have about 100k's on mine , all working fine also so hopefully it will stop
    . Cheers
    I was at a race and about half way through I realised that I didn't have any rebound damping. I guess all the oil did leak out. It also developed a slight knocking sound. I find it unusual that no air has leaked out. Sent the shock away and 1 week later I just got it back, seems to be fixed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I was at a race and about half way through I realised that I didn't have any rebound damping. I guess all the oil did leak out. It also developed a slight knocking sound. I find it unusual that no air has leaked out. Sent the shock away and 1 week later I just got it back, seems to be fixed.
    Ummmm, that's not good. I think I will take my one back to shop. I have put another 6ok's on mine and its still leaking. Thanks for the info, much appreciated !

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Ummmm, that's not good. I think I will take my one back to shop. I have put another 6ok's on mine and its still leaking. Thanks for the info, much appreciated !
    Yep... my one also has a slight knock on the downstroke

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
    Picking up a 2018 Anthem Pro 29 1 this weekend.

20% off of MSRP; didnít think I would find anything better than that.

Many California dealers are offering 20% off several models right now. That is a good deal where I live.
    That's a great deal.

...meanwhile I've been trying to get my local dealers to place an order since early spring and Giant Canada won't let them because they've got zero stock. The closest one is a 26-hour round trip drive away and I'd surely have to pay full price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Took my one back to the shop and they agreed something not quite right Ö.re leaking and knock on down stroke . Currently waiting for shock to come back from Fox

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I got my shock back and it had no rebound damping. Our warranty company said that there was nothing wrong with the rebound and that they were purposely shimmed light. My rebound dial doesn't change the damping at all. It's very disappointing because when it was new it worked great. My lbs has contacted Giant on what to do. Crankworx is coming up and nothing happens around here when it's on so I will be more that a month without a bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I got my shock back and it had no rebound damping. Our warranty company said that there was nothing wrong with the rebound and that they were purposely shimmed light. My rebound dial doesn't change the damping at all. It's very disappointing because when it was new it worked great. My lbs has contacted Giant on what to do. Crankworx is coming up and nothing happens around here when it's on so I will be more that a month without a bike.
    That sucks ! Hopefully get my one back this week
    . I did notice on my one that sometimes when adjusting damping and turning back to fully closed , you would not feel any clicks and the adjuster would free turn

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I'm looking at the Pro 0 and would likely put a dropper on it. How did you go about routing the dropper? Around the BB? Any and all guidance is welcome :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by davemeredi View Post
    I'm looking at the Pro 0 and would likely put a dropper on it. How did you go about routing the dropper? Around the BB? Any and all guidance is welcome :-)
    Yeah. I took the fastest route to my mechanic at the shop and dropped the bike off. That's about as much as I know. I went to lunch and came back and it was done. He said it was very easy. Sorry to not be more help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Dropper advice - thanks

Yeah. I took the fastest route to my mechanic at the shop and dropped the bike off. That's about as much as I know. I went to lunch and came back and it was done. He said it was very easy. Sorry to not be more help.
    Given the cost of the bike - that sounds sensible :-)

civel
    Jul 2018
    Name:  Capture d’écran 2018-08-02 à 12.06.26.png
Views: 3345
Size:  77.9 KB

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by civel View Post
    Name:  Capture d’écran 2018-08-02 à 12.06.26.png
Views: 3345
Size:  77.9 KB
    Weight of the Pro 0 (large) with XT pedals = 10.20KG (also includes 120ml of sealant in the tyres.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    That sucks ! Hopefully get my one back this week
    . I did notice on my one that sometimes when adjusting damping and turning back to fully closed , you would not feel any clicks and the adjuster would free turn
    Fox warranty totally rebuilt my shock re the down stroke knock and oil leak. Pick up on weekend

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Could I be mistaking a 'knock' sound for engagement issues in rear hub? I do hear a knock from time to time but assumed it is the the hub's poor engagement. Stock wheels are nothing to shake a stick at...

Anyone care to share rider weight and suspension settings? Also, type of riding you are doing? I've tried everything and can't seem to settle... It is most likely a rider issue as I came from years of Hardtail XC Racing. I'm having trouble ripping the singletrack like I could on my whip... I feel like I'm 'bouncing' out of corners. I also always rode on 2.35" Racing Ralphs, loved them and would sacrifice the weight anyday - the Ikons feel.. umm.. well.. thats for a different forum!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew.c.urban View Post
    Could I be mistaking a 'knock' sound for engagement issues in rear hub? I do hear a knock from time to time but assumed it is the the hub's poor engagement. Stock wheels are nothing to shake a stick at...

Anyone care to share rider weight and suspension settings? Also, type of riding you are doing? I've tried everything and can't seem to settle... It is most likely a rider issue as I came from years of Hardtail XC Racing. I'm having trouble ripping the singletrack like I could on my whip... I feel like I'm 'bouncing' out of corners. I also always rode on 2.35" Racing Ralphs, loved them and would sacrifice the weight anyday - the Ikons feel.. umm.. well.. thats for a different forum!
    I run body weight in the rear shock 170psi. The fork I can't remember 20%sag.
    I have rear shock problems as of late, my rebound hasn't been working. When you dial in the rebound all the way does it return slowly?
    I ride a hardtail also and the Anthem will take some getting used to. Whatever you've read I don't think there is very much anti squat built in. It does feel weird coming from a HT. This is the only dually I've had that I use the lockout on. And I use it a lot.
    As far as going dh, if you can ride it isn't faster than any other bike but where it should make a difference is on the rough flat pedal sections. I find I can settle into a high cadence/effort unlike any xc bike I have owned.
    I changed the tires right away. Have you tried a lower pressure that you HT? Does you HT have a 71 head tube angle? Finding the proper balance on the Anthem might be the key?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I run body weight in the rear shock 170psi. The fork I can't remember 20%sag.
    I have rear shock problems as of late, my rebound hasn't been working. When you dial in the rebound all the way does it return slowly?
    I also suspect that I have some rear shock problems. Run the rebound all the way to slow, still does not feel quite right. Also run body weight (in lbs) in psi in shock, more pressure than I expected. I think I have to get it serviced to check if something is wrong.

Kaj

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Fox warranty totally rebuilt my shock re the down stroke knock and oil leak. Pick up on weekend
    Update with my re built shock.....all good, no leaks, no knock on down stroke and is working perfectly now, buttery smooth !

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just scored a very lightly used demo 2018 Pro 1 from Giant for about 50% off, so I'm pretty happy.

I'm just curious about chainring clearance. I want to put on either a round or oval 38t, but I'm not totally sure there's enough space, especially for the oval. Anyone have any experience either way?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Hi all, hope you enjoyed your Anthems this summer.. aside from $250 in Shock service (+a potential rear shock warranty replacement by Fox this winter), upgrading to X01 cassette & Chain & RaceFace Next R Crank Upgrade I'm hoping this bike will stand the test of few years of racing. I ride 8-12 hours a week with lots of gravel/singletrack so I'm not disappointed in the regular maintenance.

But,
    Trying to figure out wheel upgrade versus wheel replacement. After a summer of lots of racing/riding I'm realizing just how awful the rear hub is on the Anthem Advanced Pro1... I believe it is even causing some chain drop/shifting issues while working through technical sections (i.e. - ratcheting over rocks/steep climbs) the engagement seems horrible.

Anyway - with the 21mm internal going out of style - I thought I'd do a simple rear hub upgrade (DT350) throw on the Thunderburts and have a spare wheelset for those mostly double track gravelly style races. Then, I'll save up for next spring and get a totally new Wheelset - I see even giant is going 25mm internal on their 2019 stuff. I bet the new XCR0 2019 wheelset is gonna be SUPER NICE......

Any thoughts on all of that?

Did I mention I don't like the Level TL brakes.... I'll swallow them for another year though before moving to Shimano.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Is the Advanced Pro 29 1 a good option for endurance/marathon events? How does it behave with just 90mm for long distances?

"El Whatever"
    @BoBoxx but if anybody can share their experience, that'd be nice...

How does the 29'er compare to the 27.5 Anthem?
    I know I liked the 27.5 a LOT. I sold it, got a Transition Scout that is a great bike but I miss the snappy feel of the Anthem. I haven't been faster anywhere on the Scout than with the Anthem 27.5 (pre-boost model). I had a Trance and I know it's too much bike too.

I have a Scott Scale 720 (lower end model) 29'er hardtail that is not bad at all but the wheels feel sluggish to accelerate. I can't say if that is because of weight or because of being a 29'er as I don't have extensive experience with 29'ers.

Oh, and we have a lot of twisty trails where we ride. So agility (not being nervous, though) is a plus.

Again, I know I liked the 27.5 Anthem but I check with our local dealer and they're a goner.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Anyone know how far the rear shock should travel down the shaft on the 2018 Anthem Advance 29er?

I don't think I'm getting full travel (25% sag, 0 volume reducers). The shock body does not go all the way down the shaft, though I realize that some designs do not travel the full length of the shaft even when bottoming out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Put it full open and take all the air out and then compress--then you will have data---usually they have full travel but do not pop the o-ring off

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthemRider View Post
    Anyone know how far the rear shock should travel down the shaft on the 2018 Anthem Advance 29er?

I don't think I'm getting full travel (25% sag, 0 volume reducers). The shock body does not go all the way down the shaft, though I realize that some designs do not travel the full length of the shaft even when bottoming out.
    From what I understand, the travel on the shock is 42.5 mm. The shock is the same as the shocks that have a travel of 45 mm, so it seems right that there is 2.5 mm "unused" shaft.

Regards,

Kaj

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    How supportive is the rear in open mode?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Rides great. I haven't noticed any bobbing, wallowing, bucking, etc., Just tried a Shockwiz and it shows good on everything -- though it also did not detect any deep compressions. The O-ring has maybe a bit under a half-inch left, so just wanted to see if I could get that last bit of travel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Does anyone know if i can fit a 156mm q factor crank on a giant anthem advanced pro 2018?
    Its a quarq xx1 175mm if that helps!
    Thanks

thecentralscrutinizer
    If it's a boost space crank, yes.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29