2018 Fathom 1 vs 2018 Vitus Sentier VRS+- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2018 Fathom 1 vs 2018 Vitus Sentier VRS+

Of course in this section you would figure the comments will be a bit more bias. However, Iím already leaning more toward the giant anyways. Have my gear purchased and almost 100% set on the Fathom anyways. Just curious after seeing this Vitus, what the thoughts of some of you were. Theyíre at the same price point. Iím new to this and the only real thing to stick out at me was the 120mm fork vs the 140mm. Who wins in the game of quality components here?

CS2
    mtbr member
    I thought Vitus just made tubing. Is it the same company or just a resurrected trademark?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Vitus is currently one of CRC's brands (like Nukeproof and Ragley). That would actually be one thing that would keep me off from buying one.

Spec wise it's good VFM (a bit better spec'ed than the Fathom) and all the components are trailworthy - nothing that you'd have to immediately replace. Boost axles front and rear, so it's up to date in terms of standards. Geometry is on the modern, aggressive side. Combined with the 2.6 tyres it should be a hoot on technical trails. I don't know how plus tyres perform on long XC rides though, so keep that in mind if you plan spending 4 hrs on the saddle at a time.

The Fathom is decently spec'ed too, but slightly less VFM. It lacks a rear axle compared to the Vitus (Giant specs a 9mmQR) and although the Suntour fork is one of their better offerings, service parts aren't going to be as readily available as for the Fathom's RS Reba. You'll be able to walk into a shop and see it from up close, while the Sentier is online only. With "regular" tyre sizes it should be more up to long XC rides, while the geo is still on the aggressive side and should cope fine with technical trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    What's wrong with CRC brands? Nukeproof is pretty good, if it's good enough for Sam Hill it's good enough for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dudee47 View Post
    What's wrong with CRC brands? Nukeproof is pretty good, if it's good enough for Sam Hill it's good enough for you.
    There's nothing "wrong" with the bikes, I just don't like CRC for other reasons and choose not to buy from them. The bikes seem great from a spec and design aspect, although they have gotten more expensive over the years.

To stay on topic, the Vitus is better equipped and would be more suitable to "aggressive" riding, although the Fathom is not far behind.

Being new to the sport, buying a bike from a brick and mortar shop has other benefits though, like maybe a free first service (cables stretch and need adjustment after a few rides) or some free goodies etc. That could be a + point for the Fathom (depends on the dealr obviously).