2018 Fathom 1 vs 2018 Stance 2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2018 Fathom 1 vs 2018 Stance 2

Iím a new rider, and looking for my first proper bike. Iíve saved up to purchase something far better than I initially was going to after having spoken to people on here, as well as what Iíve read picking through the forums. So basically Iím down to the 2018 Fathom 1, which again Iím new so donít flame me here, but it seems to have better parts as a whole? However, itís still a hard tail. Do I go with a quality hard tail, or a more entry level full suspension? I feel as tho I could always also modify the FS later. Not sure what direction to go here, but some guidance would really help with this purchase.

Might I add I just moved to Phoenix Arizona, so we have quite the terrain here. Not sure which is best suited for that either. Iím interested in downhill videos, but donít see myself trying that for quite sometime. So maybe some tougher trails for now. Whatever bike I buy I will be stuck with for several years at least, so Iím trying to buy nice rather than buy twice, but on a budget so to speak.

Any advice would be great, thanks guys!

mtbr member
    If those bikes are at the top of your budget i would go with the hard tail, if you want a FS then look at a Trance instead of the Stance. You can find yourself some good trance's on sale that might get be close to your budge.. Right now i'm selling my trance 2 2017 for 2k, and I've seen similar out there, or even 2016/2015 trance models close to your budget.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice. Went to Giant the other day to check out both. Sales rep even thought the hard tail would be the better bet due to the better parts etc. Not to mention I'm new, so who knows when I'll out grow this thing. Either bike would be purchased new, putting it on my new 0% APR CC lol. Strongly considered the trance while I was there, but just couldn't justify all the extra money while being so new to the sport. Rather the extra money go to some gear. So basically, think I'll be going with the Fathom 1!

mtbr member
    The Fathom is a great bike. Congrats.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotMTB View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Went to Giant the other day to check out both. Sales rep even thought the hard tail would be the better bet due to the better parts etc. Not to mention I'm new, so who knows when I'll out grow this thing. Either bike would be purchased new, putting it on my new 0% APR CC lol. Strongly considered the trance while I was there, but just couldn't justify all the extra money while being so new to the sport. Rather the extra money go to some gear. So basically, think I'll be going with the Fathom 1!
    congrats! have fun, post some pictures.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I just recently picked up the Fathom 2 in 27.5 and LOVE IT man, it shreds, very responsive.. I initially bought the 29'er but couldn't get over the tank like steering the next day I returned it and had the 27.5 ordered.

The Fathom 2 comes with the 2x drivetrain and I'm already looking to get rid of it for a 1x so I think the Fathom 1 wins there.

I love the Fathom and I bet you will too.

Edit: Be sure to ride both the 29'er and 27.5 and see what you like best. It's personal preference!

mtbr member
    Yeah the Fathom 1 is the one to get. I ended up ditching the 2x on my Fathom 2 for 1x11 SLX.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Hi Jeremy,

Just wondering how you like the 1x compared to the stock 2x? I have a Fathom 2 with the 2x and I actually prefer having extra gears for the tougher climbs. I've considered upgrading just because the majority seem to believe 1x is the better option. Wouldnt less gears be less preferable?

mtbr member
    I didn't like the stock 2x system. It would drop the chain over terrain that's the slightest bit rough. You can get a 1x setup with just as low or lower gearing as your current setup. You only lose a little bit of range. I'm running 32x11-42 and probably should have went with a 30T front ring because I never need the top gear on the trail. A 30x11-46 would actually give you a lower range than what you currently have I believe. You can calculate the gear ratios easily and compare the numbers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by -d-a-v-e- View Post
    Hi Jeremy,

Just wondering how you like the 1x compared to the stock 2x? I have a Fathom 2 with the 2x and I actually prefer having extra gears for the tougher climbs. I've considered upgrading just because the majority seem to believe 1x is the better option. Wouldnt less gears be less preferable?
    Gonna add to this as well, every time I ride trails my front derailleur goes from working to not working. I'll shift into the granny gear and then cannot get back into my big chain ring. I'm about to pull off my front derailleur all together.

Josh
    Jan 2018
    Ive had a fathom 1 29 for a few months and its been a great bike. 600 miles in and no real issues what so ever.

mtbr member
    I have a fathom 2 which has become my favorite bike and choose it over my norco HT and my transition scout on most days granted it is far from stock but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to others.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk