2018 Anthem Advanced 0- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018

2018 Anthem Advanced 0

Getting an Anthem Advanced 0 next month. Iíve found reviews of last years but everyone is just reviewing the new 29r Pro this year. I was wondering if anyone has this bike and what your thoughts are. I like XC with light/medium trail. I was thinking of the trance but went with the anthem due to sizing availability plus my ride style. I assume it rides a lot like last years SX given the same geometry and travel. Better comps though then the SX. Anyway, thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I was seriously considering this bike, but was shocked at the weight. From memory the Medium without pedals was 11.8kg. That's not so bad in itself, but what is the bike meant to be? It's definitely no racer, but the 2016 equivalent was 10kg. Huge difference. Think they have made it a lot more trail than ever before which could be good/bad depending upon you. I still like it, but need to get my head around it a bit more. It definitely looks hot as. Please post you findings after you grab yours, very keen to see and hear about it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    I was seriously considering this bike, but was shocked at the weight. From memory the Medium without pedals was 11.8kg.
    According to german Bike the Advanced 29 0 is 10.16 kg.
    Test 2018: Giant Anthem Advanced Pro 29

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KajLaursen View Post
    According to german Bike the Advanced 29 0 is 10.16 kg.
    Test 2018: Giant Anthem Advanced Pro 29
    Think the OP is referring to the 27.5, not the 29er.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    I was seriously considering this bike, but was shocked at the weight. From memory the Medium without pedals was 11.8kg.
    The Anthem is pretty much a short travel trail bike these days like the Anthem SX of yester-years, hence the extra weight. The new Anthem 29er has taken the XC duties now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I have an anthem advanced pro 0 in size small. Weight was 21.5 lbs from the bike shop without pedals. I am now at 21.2 lbs with pedals after some optimizations (LB rims, xpedo pedals, trimmed bars/seat post/cables). The bike is very good for pedal efficiency and short travel trail performance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This is a 2018?
    I presume you are not running the seat dropper?

Quote Originally Posted by john_bikeguy View Post
    I have an anthem advanced pro 0 in size small. Weight was 21.5 lbs from the bike shop without pedals. I am now at 21.2 lbs with pedals after some optimizations (LB rims, xpedo pedals, trimmed bars/seat post/cables). The bike is very good for pedal efficiency and short travel trail performance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Iím definitely interested in the 27.5

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    The extra weight on the 27.5 comes from the Pike/Super Deluxe combo; both are more trail than XC and significantly heavier than the Fox 32 SC / Float combo on the Pro 29er. Same goes for Guide brakes vs Level on the 29er.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Correct. I havenít done that upgrade yet.

Closeburn
    Oct 2005
    FYI,
    I have had 3 weeks 2018 Anthem Advanced Pro 29 0.
    Medium.
    Out of the box, no pedals, no sealant, no tubes: 10.00kg
    "While I breath I attack'
    Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Iím getting the 27.5 Anthem Advanced 0. I wanted that medium trail capability. Only recreationally race so Iím pretty stoked. They had a large anthem advanced pro 29 in stock for only 100 bucks more and I thought about it but I liked the characteristics of the 27.5.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Any discounts on your purchase? Or full price?
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker429 View Post
    Iím getting the 27.5 Anthem Advanced 0. I wanted that medium trail capability. Only recreationally race so Iím pretty stoked. They had a large anthem advanced pro 29 in stock for only 100 bucks more and I thought about it but I liked the characteristics of the 27.5.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Yeah, decent discounts for sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Did you get the bike yet Striker? if so...pix!!

Does the piggy back shock allow you to fit a water bottle?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Havenít gotten it yet. Should be in by the end of the month (hopefully!) Iíll definitely post pics and a first impressions and Iíll let you know about the bottle. Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I've tried it out and Its a really awesome bike to ride. Its heavier than the 29er for sure. The frame seems stronger and stiffer than the 2015-2017 XC oriented models. Its geometry i very similar to the 29er. Wheelbase is similar but seatube and head tube are half a degree slacker due to the 130mm Fork and 110mm rear. Fit a 120mm fork and the HA and SA are closer to the 29er.
    Yes the trail oriented fork and rear shock soften the ride a lot compared to the 29er and I suspect this would be superb for XCM type riding.
    Fitting a more XCO oriented suspension would livened it up and it performs very similarly to the 29er when the fork is 120mm.
    It really got me thinking about the wheelsize thing all over again because back to back comparison left me wondering why they just didn't build the the 27.5 bikes with longer front ends to begin with.
    The Advanced 1 is just excellent. Heck of a lot of fun and a lot more stable and faster than the outgoing 27.5 Anthem 0 or 1