2017 Anthem Advanced SX - too XC for me?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018

2017 Anthem Advanced SX - too XC for me?

I've been looking for a "trail" HT, probably 27.5+, for a while. Somebody just posted a gently used '17 Anthem Advanced SX for sale locally and it seemed worth looking into. I ride 1x or 2x /mo. I'm okay at pedaling/climbing, but descending and tight turns/corners make me slow WAY down when I ride, which is why I thought the +HT might work well.

Is this AA SX too aggressive/XC for what I'm looking for (basically, I need something fun and that'll flatten out my crappy technical skills). I like how slack the trail HTs seem, but I haven't ridden literally any new bikes yet.

NedwannaB
    Your wording of “too xc” is a little confusing. If you’re looking for something to help with your tech skills and still perform efficiently in the other disciplines you mention this bike would fit the bill. What is the price range that is being asked for it?

Inquiring mind(s)...
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I guess by "too XC," I mean, too speed- and efficiency-oriented and maybe not enough laid-back/just plain fun.

I think he listed it in the low $2ks range, says it's in very good shape.

mtbr member
    IMHO Anthem SX is more fun than XC. No bike is going to flatten your technical skills, riding a bike is going to help with that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    And what's the tire clearance? I can't find it anywhere. Will the '17 fit 2.6s?

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnmtb View Post
    Probly front only. You can throw an inquiry in the giant forum.

NedwannaB
    I guess by "too XC," I mean, too speed- and efficiency-oriented and maybe not enough laid-back/just plain fun.

I think he listed it in the low $2ks range, says it's in very good shape.
    That’s probly pretty good. They were $4800 originally. Depends on when the guy bought it. There’s a nos (new old stock) in an lbs I go to marked down to $3200. A serious buyer may get the shop owner down to ~$3k but with the ‘19’s being out its really a 2 yr old floor model. 😞

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I'm on a 2015 Anthem SX; it's a great bike that can punch above its weight when things get rough. The 2017 models have a bit more travel than the 2015s, so they should be even more capable. That said the bike has its limits, and much of this will depend on the terrain you ride in. If you are lucky enough to live in a place with extended descents, then it may not be enough. I should also point out that my next bike will probably be a 29er with a bit more travel so that I can carry a bit more speed through the rough stuff. I have my eye on the new Trance 29.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    It will fit Schwalbe rocket Ron 2.6”, measure at 40 psi is about 2.66” width, it’s a bit close in diameter, maybe 4mm clearance and width about 5mm at chain and seat stays. I would not recommend Maxxis Rekon or other Maxxis 2.6”. Diameter are larger than Schwalbe tires.
    '18 SC Tallboy CC_Wife
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv_Kid
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '17 SC Bronson CC

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattles View Post
    I'm on a 2015 Anthem SX; it's a great bike that can punch above its weight when things get rough. The 2017 models have a bit more travel than the 2015s, so they should be even more capable. That said the bike has its limits, and much of this will depend on the terrain you ride in. If you are lucky enough to live in a place with extended descents, then it may not be enough. I should also point out that my next bike will probably be a 29er with a bit more travel so that I can carry a bit more speed through the rough stuff. I have my eye on the new Trance 29.
    This^^^^

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I own a '17 Anthem Advanced SX:
    1) If it's well kept, $2k is a screaming deal and you should buy it before someone else does.
    2) It's a fairly slack full suspension with a 130 mm Pike on it. It's less "XC" than virtually any hardtail you can buy.
    3) For the love of all that is holy do not put plus tires on it. The point of that bike is that it's a playful and poppy light trail bike that is way more capable than its travel numbers and is fast and fun. Why bog it down it with a couple extra pounds of unsprung uselessness?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mbr4527 View Post
    3) For the love of all that is holy do not put plus tires on it. The point of that bike is that it's a playful and poppy light trail bike that is way more capable than its travel numbers and is fast and fun. Why bog it down it with a couple extra pounds of unsprung uselessness?
    So you think 2.6s are too chunky?

NedwannaB
    Yes. Chunky(er) 2.35’s will be plenty!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I run a 2.30 Minion DHF/DHR combo. I don't think you'd want to go bigger or chunkier than that on this bike. Depending on your trails you might even want to go with less aggressive tires in the 2.3ish range.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbr4527 View Post
    I own a '17 Anthem Advanced SX:
    1) If it's well kept, $2k is a screaming deal and you should buy it before someone else does.
    2) It's a fairly slack full suspension with a 130 mm Pike on it. It's less "XC" than virtually any hardtail you can buy.
    +1
    I run WTB Trail Boss 2.25 up front and WTB Ranger out back here in the Upper Midwest on my Anthem and have been very pleased