2017 Anthem Advanced SX or 2018 Anthem Advanced 2?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

2017 Anthem Advanced SX or 2018 Anthem Advanced 2?

Now that the "regular" Anthems have 130-mm forks, they have very similar geometry to last year's SX models. I'm considering the two models below. Which of these do you think offers better value? Which would you chose, and why?

2017 Anthem Advanced SX, $4700
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/anthem-advanced-sx

2018 Anthem Advanced 2, $4000
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/an...dvanced-2-2018

Note that the SX has nicer components and a higher price, while the 2 has wider carbon wheels and a lower price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Giant is deeply discounting the 2017 Anthems. It's a better deal.

http://forums.mtbr.com/giant/2017-an...d-1052504.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks. I ordered a '17 AA SX today for a decent price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What did you get it for? Hope over to the owners thread and introduce yourself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    3995 USD. Decent, but not amazing. That's the list price for the '18 Advanced 2. I'll post in the other thread when the bike comes in and I get it set up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great. I hope you love it. See you in the other thread then.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    not sure its the better deal..the 17 Anthem Adv... i love the matte grey/yellow color but odd that this more expensive carbon bike only gets aluminum wheels? the Pike is better tho right?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My reasoning was that the drivetrain, brakes, suspension, post, and bar are better on the '17 Advanced SX than the '18 Advanced 2. Only the wheels are cheaper on the SX. It's certainly easier (though perhaps not cheaper) to upgrade the wheels than everything else on the bike. Also, the 780-mm bar on the Anthem 2 (non-Advanced) I tested felt about 30 mm wider than I wanted, so I thought the 750 on the SX would be better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I believe the Pike is an upgrade to the Revelation, also an upgrade with the Super Deluxe RC3 shock, Guide RS brakes, carbon handlebar.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree. And while the wheels aren't as nice on my SX, they are at least high end aluminum wheels and they are 29mm inner wide. So I think they will be just fine for me.

(my previous 29er HT had carbon wheels 29mm inner width as well)

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    i did a parking lot test ride on the 17 SX and it was zippy, accelerated really quick as if it HAD carbon wheels.. really nice bike.
    i was comparing it to the 18 Trance2 at 2600$
    i think i read the 18 Giant dropper post itself is a bit upgraded, the 2018 lever is much smoother and ergonomic .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Both would be great bikes. The SX is a bit more spendy though.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeler View Post
    3995 USD. Decent, but not amazing. That's the list price for the '18 Advanced 2. I'll post in the other thread when the bike comes in and I get it set up.
    skeeler whereabouts did you get it for that price? I'm looking for a 17 anthem adv. sx myself for my budget of under $4k

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I got it from D and D Bicycles in Ann Arbor. The Giant US site is showing them for a bit less now. I'm not sure what sizes are still available.
    2017 Giant Anthem Advanced SX
    2004 Seven Axiom Ti
    2007 Cannondale Capo

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I see them for $4.7k on giant US site. im from dallas/ft worth. strange... maybe i'll call around

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Weird. They were 3750 a couple of weeks ago.
    2017 Giant Anthem Advanced SX
    2004 Seven Axiom Ti
    2007 Cannondale Capo

mtbr member
    May 2014
    wow, never saw it, i would've picked up one instantly. bummer

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dukdude View Post
    wow, never saw it, i would've picked up one instantly. bummer
    No, just talk to your bike shop. They can order for that price. It's not a price on the web site.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    funny i called one about an hour ago, they won't sell for less than MSRP.. didn't know if that's what Giant demands or if it's bike shop pricing. guess i'll try a few others

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Then that bike shop is no good. Keep looking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    I agree. And while the wheels aren't as nice on my SX, they are at least high end aluminum wheels and they are 29mm inner wide. So I think they will be just fine for me.

(my previous 29er HT had carbon wheels 29mm inner width as well)
    FYI- The correct inner width appears to be 23mm. The site is incorrect. This image was posted by "wish I were riding" in the Anthem SX owners thread. It was taken off his 2017 AA SX.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Anthem Advanced SX or 2018 Anthem Advanced 2?-adv_sx_wheels.jpg  

Last edited by Ride1424; 09-27-2017 at 04:49 AM.
    "In dog beers......... I only had one"

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Then that bike shop is no good. Keep looking.
    most definitely. saw you had one too.. how much were able to get yours for? looking for ballpark numbers to see what I can get it for hopefully.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    most definitely. saw you had one too.. how much were able to get yours for? looking for ballpark numbers to see what I can get it for hopefully.
    I was deciding between a 2017 Trance Adv 1 and a 2017 Anthem Adv SX a few days ago and was quoted $3525 for the Anthem from a different D & D bike location near where skeeler purchased his.

With that being said, the rep explained that as of that day the 25% discount I was being offered was dropping to 20% the following day so by my calculations that would put the current price at $3760.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great price.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Great price.
    Kind of weird how they are reducing the discount on the last year's models but yes, for what you're getting that is still a great price. I picked up my Trance Adv 1 for $3712 on the last day of the 25% discount and may have got the last one Giant had in stock. The Anthems are going fast by the looks of it too, so much bike for the price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow, great price on the Trance!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Wow, great price on the Trance!
    Thanks, I was pretty stoked when the rep quoted me that price especially after another shop quoted me 3700 for the Anthem a couple days before that.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith462 View Post
    I was deciding between a 2017 Trance Adv 1 and a 2017 Anthem Adv SX a few days ago and was quoted $3525 for the Anthem from a different D & D bike location near where skeeler purchased his.

With that being said, the rep explained that as of that day the 25% discount I was being offered was dropping to 20% the following day so by my calculations that would put the current price at $3760.
    Thanks for the heads up, I'm gonna stop by a few bike shops in DFW area in the next few days to see what they can do. Hopefully the LBS I got my last Giant from 4 yrs ago can do those prices.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thanks for the heads up, I'm gonna stop by a few bike shops in DFW area in the next few days to see what they can do. Hopefully the LBS I got my last Giant from 4 yrs ago can do those prices.
    I would start calling or stopping in to get quotes immediately, 2017's are moving fast with the sale and once the stock status in your size goes to "limited stock" on the website you can only get the bike from dealers that already have it in stock. The shop ordered my trance on Friday and got the last one before it went limited, otherwise I'd have to drive to Philadelphia from Michigan to get the closest one because dealers can't ship them. Good luck!