2017 Anthem Adv SX and regular SX owners thread- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

2017 Anthem Adv SX and regular SX owners thread

I looked and didn't see anything similar, so I thought I would start one. Seems like a good thing for every bike possibly. Anyway...

I'll be taking ownership of a 2017 Anthem Adv SX in about a week.

• Are they any other owners of 2017 SX's?
    • Any picts you have worth posting?
    • Any ride feedback for me and future visitors to this thread?
    • Any compliments on the bike or spec?
    • Any complaints on the bike or spec?
    • Any setup suggestions or suggestions in general?

I'm looking forward to riding!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Good job! 2017 Anthem SX Rocks

2017 Anthem Adv SX and regular SX owners thread-race-pic.jpg

I love the Anthem SX. It does great racing the twisty trails of Mississippi and handled the mountains in Elijay with ease. From what I hear, the 2018 Anthems upped the front travel to 130. Thats what the SX has so they discontinued the SX based on that info. I just put 2.5 tires on for the mountains...felt great.The Nobby Nics that came stock are good...I put those on my son's Talon because i wanted a racing tower. Now I havbe the WTB Convict for having fun. SRAM NX has done everything I need it to do, Guide breaks work great, dropper seat is AWESOME. I really cant say anything negative about the bike. I just rented a SC Tallboy while in Elijay and I was curious to see how it compared to my anthem. Travel in the TB is only 120 front, but it felt more plush than the anthem. Could have been related to the sag.Climbing was better on the anthem and just as good on the downhill. Its a great bike
    Giant Anthem SX
    Trek X Caliber 7
    Giant Talon 3
    Giant XTC JR
    Trek 7.2 FX
    Trek 2200

mtbr member
    May 2012
    so if you have a custom build anthem advanced frameset and built to 130mm travel fork, does this count as an SX verison or does it have to be a giant specific build Anthem Adv SX? I've been thinking about changing the front travel of my wife's recent build anthem advanvced to 130mm travel fork.
    '18 SC Tallboy CC_Wife
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv_Kid
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '17 SC Bronson CC

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ckspeed View Post
    so if you have a custom build anthem advanced frameset and built to 130mm travel fork, does this count as an SX verison or does it have to be a giant specific build Anthem Adv SX? I've been thinking about changing the front travel of my wife's recent build anthem advanvced to 130mm travel fork.
    I guess it will be similar to the SX in that it's the same travel. However, the SX is a specific model. I believe that your Anthem advanced has some higher end components and a carbon frame vs the SX's aluminum frame. Beginning 2018, there will be no more SX offering. Not sure if I answered that correctly, but I think I followed you
    Giant Anthem SX
    Trek X Caliber 7
    Giant Talon 3
    Giant XTC JR
    Trek 7.2 FX
    Trek 2200

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Can anyone comment on how the 2017 SX (and by extension all the 2018 Anthems) ride compared to the "regular" 2017 Anthems? Does the bike feel unbalanced with 18% more travel in the front than rear?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Can't comment yet as mine as at the shop waiting to get built up. But think of it this way, I like my HT which has 0% rear suspension and 120% more in the front. Love that, so an 18% difference won't bother me one bit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ckspeed View Post
    I agree with what Jstrong said. It isn't really an SX, because the part spec is different. But the geo etc would be the same. So post here if you want to, no worries.

mtbr member
    Here is my take on my medium SX. I have had it since the beginning of June, put 300 miles on it, and ride all over Northern California.

If you have long-ish legs slam the seat all the way forward on the rails. I put a 150mm dropper on mine and with the seat all the way forward I still want to get further forward on some climbs. The SA is too slack imo. I find that 25% sag front and rear works best for me. I added 2 extra tokens to the fork and left the 3 volume reducers in the rear shock. I also think the bike would work better for me with a firm compression tune which the deluxe/super deluxe uses the same compression assemblies as the monarch, so I may swap it once race season is over.

I hate the NX drivetrain because:
    -The cranks protrude out too far at the spindle and tear my ankles up
    -heavy
    -shifting goes to hell at the first sight of dust.

The Yari is a great fork for the way I ride chassis wise, but the motion control damper sucks. I find that the fork gets harsh and doesn't offer enough beginning stroke support. If you dial in the compression knob the mid stroke just gets harsher. If I keep the bike passed the summer I will either swap the fork out or get an avalanche cartridge for it.

The guide r's are ok. They work fine but I don't like the feel of sram brakes. If I keep the asx I'll put some xt brakes on.

I cut the sidewall on the rear NN on the first ride. The performance NN's spec'd are not as good as the trailstar NN available aftermarket, so I swapped the tires right away for a 2.35 minion dhf 3c exo in front and a 2.35 ikon 3c exo in the rear. Once it starts to rain I will put a dhr 3c exo on the rear but for dry conditions I like to take advantage of the fast rolling ikon.

I also swapped the bars for a set of 780 chromag Fubars, swapped the grips for renthal kevlar lock on's, and am running 20mm of spacers under the stem.

The only issue I am still struggling with is that the rear axle backs itself out every ride. I am going to try loctite on it for my race this weekend, if that doesn't work I may modify the dropout so I can lock the axle in with a set screw.

get picture url

img upload

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Post some picts! Bummer about the rear axle! How tall are you and what do you weigh?

mtbr member
    Pics added. I am 5'11" with a 32" inseam. I weigh 170 lbs. I don't remember what pressure I ended up with in the fork, I think it's 65 psi. I am running 245psi in the rear shock.

The original shock that came on the bike had to be warrantied. I had to put 300+psi in it and could barely get 30% sag. It was also very harsh in the beginning stroke, and would the rebound would randomly go full slow despite being 6 clicks out. I could reset it by dialing all the way in then backing it back out to my desired setting. This was no fault of Giant or the bike, just a minor frustration. I did learn that RockShox customer service is total crap while trying to deal with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the details. I'm 5'9" on a tall day with a 30" inseam and weigh about 200lbs. I'm hoping that the Pike and the fancy shock on my SX will work well. I'm really looking forward to my first ride which I hope will be this weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    Thanks for the details. I'm 5'9" on a tall day with a 30" inseam and weigh about 200lbs. I'm hoping that the Pike and the fancy shock on my SX will work well. I'm really looking forward to my first ride which I hope will be this weekend.
    The pike is a great fork. The charger damper is vastly superior to the motion control set up on the yari. You also shouldn't have as much of an issue with the seated position with a 30" inseam. Report back on your opinion of the bike and what settings you end up with for your suspension. I always find it interesting to compare different riders settings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Got out for another ride on the new bike. Think that's 3 or 4 ride now. I'm liking the bike a lot. I'm probably going to have trouble with the Pike settings.

2017 Anthem Adv SX and regular SX owners thread-img_20170818_181344.jpg

mtbr member
    Got out for another ride on the new bike. Think that's 3 or 4 ride now. I'm liking the bike a lot. I'm probably going to have trouble with the Pike settings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170818_181344.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	1152909
    What issues are you having?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_twin View Post
    What issues are you having?
    Well mainly I'm not very good with suspension setup. I weigh 200lbs. I have 80psi in the fork which gives me 30% sag, which is high for the fork but seems okay. I set rebound to a speed at which after pushing down on the handlebars and quickly letting go the wheel leaves the ground, and then slower by 2 clicks. (recent tip from a video I'm trying) Compression is off. If I push all my weight down on the center of the bike the fork still has about 10 to 15%, and based on the same video that is good. However, I'm not sure I'm getting enough travel on my regular rides. So I think maybe it is a little too firm still, but I don't want to lower pressure and end up with more sag.

mtbr member
    Well mainly I'm not very good with suspension setup. I weigh 200lbs. I have 80psi in the fork which gives me 30% sag, which is high for the fork but seems okay. I set rebound to a speed at which after pushing down on the handlebars and quickly letting go the wheel leaves the ground, and then slower by 2 clicks. (recent tip from a video I'm trying) Compression is off. If I push all my weight down on the center of the bike the fork still has about 10 to 15%, and based on the same video that is good. However, I'm not sure I'm getting enough travel on my regular rides. So I think maybe it is a little too firm still, but I don't want to lower pressure and end up with more sag.
    Does yours have the low speed compression dial on top of the 3 position lever on the right top cap?

With respect to rebound, I have always run between 5 and 8 clicks from all the way in. I've found that further in than 5 and the rebound circuit starts affecting the compression, further out than 8 and you are beyond the useable range of the rebound tune and you need a firmer tune.

Don't worry so much about how much travel your using right now. Just make sure the bike feels balanced front to rear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It's an RC so it doesn't have the low speed compression dial.

mtbr member
    It's an RC so it doesn't have the low speed compression dial.
    Something I've done is use the 3 position compression adjustment to help guide you toward the correct air pressure. If you think more pressure might help, flip the lever from open to trail and see if it feels better. Trail won't be exactly the same as higher air pressure but it will give you the idea of thatbis the direction you need to go.

Unless of course you already have things dialed in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Something I've done is use the 3 position compression adjustment to help guide you toward the correct air pressure. If you think more pressure might help, flip the lever from open to trail and see if it feels better. Trail won't be exactly the same as higher air pressure but it will give you the idea of thatbis the direction you need to go.

Unless of course you already have things dialed in.
    The fork doesn't have a 3 position dial though.

mtbr member
    Open, trail, lock? Or is it a multi position compression adjustment? Either way you can use it the same way for tuning to get your pressure and sag dialed in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Open, trail, lock
    We'll just have to agree to disagree I guess.

mtbr member
    We'll just have to agree to disagree I guess.
    I was asking.

I've only had rct3 forks and that's how they are.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    A couple of pics of my new Advanced SX. This is what a small looks like, by the way.
    2017 Anthem Adv SX and regular SX owners thread-img_4008.jpg
    2017 Anthem Adv SX and regular SX owners thread-img_4011.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The 750-mm bar can be a bit wide for the trails available to me. I can only imagine what the 780 bar from the 2018 Anthems is like. I need to ride a bit more before I decide how much to cut the bar down.
    2017 Anthem Adv SX and regular SX owners thread-img_4047.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks great, and just like mine (mines a medium though).

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I just ordered a medium Advanced SX yesterday from my LBS! I was told I should have it next week some day, super excited!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I rode mine in Lake Tahoe the last couple days and had a great time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    New stem (50 mm instead of the stock 40), new dropper lever, and bar cut down to 710 mm.

2017 Anthem Adv SX and regular SX owners thread-img_4065.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Has anyone else experienced the rear bottoming out much more than the front? I have both ends sagged the recommended amount. I've ordered some tokens for the Super Deluxe shock and will see how adding one affects the bottoming and the ride quality. I really feel like this bike should be perfect with about 120 mm in the rear (like the Liv Pique).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I found the stock stem odd too, because the web site says it should come with a 70mm doesn't it? Anyway, I put a 70mm on and it will probably stay. Nice lever! I got the new 2018 remote, and it works well enough I don't need anything else right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I find the rear to be more plush than the Pike RC. But it hasn't really bothered me too much. I enjoyed the bike at Lake Tahoe last weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The website says 60 (X), 60 (S), 70 (M), 80 (L), and 90 (XL). What length stem came on your medium? I guess there was a running change. I know a number of people felt the stems should be shorter on the 2017 Anthems.
    2017 Giant Anthem Advanced SX
    2004 Seven Axiom Ti
    2007 Cannondale Capo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mine was a 50mm on a medium. I put a 70mm on it.

mtbr member
    2017 Anthem SX2, size small.
    40mm stem and 740mm bar. Site says 60mm stem and 750mm bar.
    "In dog beers......... I only had one"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride1424 View Post
    2017 Anthem SX2, size small.
    40mm stem and 740mm bar. Site says 60mm stem and 750mm bar.
    My small also came with a 40. It didn't occur to me to check the bar, since it felt close to 750. I'll have to measure it. Wherever it started, it's about 40 mm shorter now.
    2004 Seven Axiom Ti
    2007 Cannondale Capo

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Can anyone recommend good starting pressures for the the Nobby Nics on this bike? I'm about 140 lb (10 stone) fully kitted out, and I've been running 28 psi front, 30 psi rear. I definitely hear a lot more tread noise from the rear. I'm trying to decide whether to take the front down or the back up.
    2004 Seven Axiom Ti
    2007 Cannondale Capo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well lets see... I weigh 200+ lbs. I run about 20psi front and 24psi rear. This is tubeless. Are you running tubes or not?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Good question. Tubeless. Holding air well.
    2004 Seven Axiom Ti
    2007 Cannondale Capo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well then, accepting that tire PSI can be a very individual choice... I think your pressure is crazy high. :-) Why not try going down 5 PSI front and rear and see how it feels?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks. I'll try that out this weekend.
    2004 Seven Axiom Ti
    2007 Cannondale Capo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you have a good pump, You might consider going even lower to start. See how it feels, adjust as necessary. But I have no issues with 20/24 and I weight 60lbs more than you. There is probably less need for soft tires when you have good suspension front and rear, but I run low pressures for better traction, and I used to ride rigid, so I like all the comfort I can find. Good luck, and report back after you have a couple rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I would agree that you're probably at least 5ish psi higher than you need to be at 28/30 at 140 lbs.

Start there and maybe work your way even lower, but keep in mind that that the lower the pressure the more you risk trashing a rim. The safe level is very dependent on what kind of riding you're doing. If you ride fast and aggressive in an area with a bunch of square edged rocks then you need to run higher pressures than if you're cruising around on a bike path. I run front at around 24 and rear around 27 on my Anthem SX on 27 mm ID rims and my riding weight is 155 or so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    @Skeeler - Another thing to note is that I think wider rims can take lower pressures better. The rims on the Adv SX are 29mm wide. And as mbr4527 pointed out, on the SX they are 27mm. Both are good inner widths, and can take lower pressures.

@mbr4527 - Good point about the terrain though. I don't have that many square-edged rocks on my normal rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    @Skeeler - Another thing to note is that I think wider rims can take lower pressures better. The rims on the Adv SX are 29mm wide. And as mbr4527 pointed out, on the SX they are 27mm. Both are good inner widths, and can take lower pressures.

@mbr4527 - Good point about the terrain though. I don't have that many square-edged rocks on my normal rides.
    Not quite.

Let's talk in terms of inner width because it's the metric that actually matters. The Adv SX XCT 1 wheels have a 23 mm inner: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/xc...-alloy---boost.

I put TRX 1 wheels on my Adv SX, which are 27 mm inner.

The regular SX has XC-1 wheels, which are also 23 mm inner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mbr4527 View Post
    Not quite.

Let's talk in terms of inner width because it's the metric that actually matters. The Adv SX XCT 1 wheels have a 23 mm inner:
    From the 2017 Adv SX page
    Rims Giant XCT-1 Alloy DBL Wheelsystem; 29mm wide, Tubeless compatible

And I'm confident these are NOT 23mm inner.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    From the 2017 Adv SX page
    Rims Giant XCT-1 Alloy DBL Wheelsystem; 29mm wide, Tubeless compatible

And I'm confident these are NOT 23mm inner.
    Well, probably the easiest way to settle this since Giant has conflicting information on their website would be for you to go look at your wheels and see what the ETRTO numbers on them say.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mbr4527 View Post
    Well, probably the easiest way to settle this since Giant has conflicting information on their website would be for you to go look at your wheels and see what the ETRTO numbers on them say.
    Son of a B****

2017 Anthem Adv SX and regular SX owners thread-adv_sx_wheels.jpg

How could I have been so wrong and so duped by Giant. Now I will be thinking about this all the time...

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Hi everyone I am new to the forum and contemplating on a purchase of a Giant Anthem Advanced SX 2017 but I am in a bit of a pickle. I am thinking of buying a large size from someone and there is no way for me to test ride the actual bike. I have ridden the Anthem 3 2017 in large and love the reach but I am concerned about the seat height, I have shorter legs but long torso. The anthem 3 does not have a dropper and I was wondering if anyone with a large frame be able to measure the height, from the ground to the saddle, of a fully slammed dropper post with its travel fully extended. I know the large will come with a 150mm dropper post and I might need to swap it to a 100mm but I am optimistic that if I slam the dropper post to the seat tube that I can ride a 150mm dropper post. I have a 30 inseam if that helps.

Thanks!
    Last edited by hard.drive; 09-23-2017 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Edit info

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by hard.drive View Post
    Hi everyone I am new to the forum and contemplating on a purchase of a Giant Anthem Advanced SX 2017 but I am in a bit of a pickle. I am thinking of buying a large size from someone and there is no way for me to test ride the actual bike. I have ridden the Anthem 3 2017 in large and love the reach but I am concerned about the seat height, I have shorter legs but long torso. The anthem 3 does not have a dropper and I was wondering if anyone with a large frame be able to measure the height, from the ground to the saddle, of a fully slammed dropper post with its travel fully extended. I know the large will come with a 150mm dropper post and I might need to swap it to a 100mm but I am optimistic that if I slam the dropper post to the seat tube that I can ride a 150mm dropper post. I have a 20 inseam if that helps.

Thanks!
    20" inseam?....
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    My bad 30 inseam is what I meant. I edited the post

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Has anyone had success fitting a saddle with elliptical (7x9-mm) carbon rails to the stock seatpost?
    2004 Seven Axiom Ti
    2007 Cannondale Capo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hard.drive View Post
    Hi everyone I am new to the forum and contemplating on a purchase of a Giant Anthem Advanced SX 2017 but I am in a bit of a pickle. I am thinking of buying a large size from someone and there is no way for me to test ride the actual bike. I have ridden the Anthem 3 2017 in large and love the reach but I am concerned about the seat height, I have shorter legs but long torso. The anthem 3 does not have a dropper and I was wondering if anyone with a large frame be able to measure the height, from the ground to the saddle, of a fully slammed dropper post with its travel fully extended. I know the large will come with a 150mm dropper post and I might need to swap it to a 100mm but I am optimistic that if I slam the dropper post to the seat tube that I can ride a 150mm dropper post. I have a 30 inseam if that helps.
    @hard.drive - I'm not sure I can answer your post, since I do not have a large frame. You also didn't tell us how tall you are, though maybe that doesn't matter since you said you liked the reach on the large. What you need to know is that there is a 2 inch difference between medium and large seat tube lengths. That's a lot. IMO, even if you switch to a 100mm dropper, you may not get your seat where you need it. This is a limitation of dropper post minimum insertion lengths, the seat tube length, and you 30" inseam. I know, because I also have a 30" inseam. I have a HT with an 18" STL, and I cannot run a dropper longer than 100mm.

Therefore, I would vote this would not be a good thing for you. Let us know what you end up doing.

EDIT: You can measure the amount of exposed seatpost from the Anthem 3 you rode. Figure out how much room there is from the top of the frame to the head of the seatpost. Then you can look at seatpost specs for the minimum insertion info. As I said, I don't think you will have room to do what you hope.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've notice that oil (about 0.5 ml) accumulates on the Super Deluxe shock on my Advanced SX after each ride, even if I wipe it off. Meanwhile, the fork stays very clean. Should I be concerned about the leaking on the shock, or is this normal?
    2004 Seven Axiom Ti
    2007 Cannondale Capo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You should ask your bike shop or in the Suspension forum here. I'm not sure I can answer that. But I assume its not good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    This is exactly what I feared. I made measurement against my Giant XTC and the issue I am seeing is minimum insertion. I might be able to get away with it using a RockShox reverb but that is with a lot of ifs. I am 5' 10.5" so yeah long torso a bit short on the legs. Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You should ask your bike shop or in the Suspension forum here. I'm not sure I can answer that. But I assume its not good.
    Thanks. I took the bike to the shop and had the seals replaced under warranty. The shock worked reliably after that. That was last fall. I hope to be getting back out on my Advanced SX in the coming weeks.
    2004 Seven Axiom Ti
    2007 Cannondale Capo