2016 Giant Contact SL 125mm dropper post- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2016 Giant Contact SL 125mm dropper post

Anyone running one of these? Thoughts on it? My reverb is 2+ years old and I am ready to move on, my lbs can get me a really good deal on these but i cant find any info online on it.

mtbr member
    It's new product coming with 2016 bike range.
    Why not get 150mm one when you're at it

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The funny thing is, when I called Giant 2 days ago I was told the new version didn't exist.

My complaint isn't length... Lol
    But rather that with the offset seat post im out of adjustment but still struggling to keep the front wheel down. And can't fit any bags that mount to the rails. Plus no matter how tight we make it, the darn thing ends up pivoting if I'm on the seat when I hit a bump.

I didn't even ask for a freebie, but was told its all they make.

mtbr member
    You can easily fix that.
    Contact SL post (2014 model) has reversible cups that slide into the cone on the post. In one position offset is 23mm and in another just 12mm.
    Slipping can be fixed using granulated paste like you would use on carbon seatposts to provide additional friction, just apply it on the cone and cups that hold the rails.

As for the 2016 model, I actually spoke with my Giant distributor yesterday and they received 2016 range. New post costs around 250 (MSRP I guess).

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'll try reversing them when I get home.

Still funny that my 2016 didn't come with the 2016 lol.
    They were tricky enough to install it on all of the reviewed bikes and then tell me that they have had requests for a new style but only have the one. I don't like being lied to.

mtbr member
    any review of the 2016? i see they canged thehead design to a two-bolt inline clamp. any info on post weight? price seems reasonable, i'd probably be buying a 150mm

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Is there any major difference internally between the 2015 post with offset head and the new 2016 post with 0 offset? Trying to decide between the two.
    2018 RSD Middlechild

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Yes.. offset :-)
    Because of different head you now have different clearance lenght than before. What i mean is i had to get 150mm version 2016 instead of 125mm 2015 version to achieve the same maximum height and enough clearance. Internals are basicly the same.

mtbr member
    Cartridges are similar, only longer on 2016 model.
    There isn't 125mm 2015 model, old single bolt had only 100mm of travel.

Other than that, remotes are the same but saddle clamp is much better, so the saddle can't slip like on the old pivot variant.

New version has lower profile head clamp so you need to raise it bit more in order to accommodate for the difference, i.e. if your 100mm post was showing 10cm before the stanchion, new post would be showing maybe 8cm even if has 5cm more travel.

Performance seems to be the same, there's little play when fully extended but can only be noticed when you're off the bike and rock the saddle sideways.
    Both posts have been totally reliable for me, occasional greasing of the seal and bushings is recommended if you're riding in wet often, otherwise no maintenance at all exept cleaning the seal if it gets too dirty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the replies. Only reason for considering a 2015 is the 12 or 23mm offset as I want just a bit more room on the bike. I can get both for the same price at my LBS. Bike is specced with 45mm stem and 760 bar (stock is 70mm and 720 I think). I bought the bike second hand build like this and will try a 60mm stem next. I don't want to give up the handlebar as I prefer the current width. That may just be enough as the 2016 Trance comes with the new 0 offset post and 730/70 cockpit if I'm not mistaken and the geo did not change since 2014.

I've read about some issue of the seat slipping on the older offset head. Seems like there is not a perfect dropper out there, but sounds like the Giant has a better reliability record than the Reverb I currently have.

How is the cold weather performance? Reverb starts to get finicky below 45F and sometimes stops working altogether below 40F. I ride very little in wet and muddy conditions.
    2018 RSD Middlechild

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kryten View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Only reason for considering a 2015 is the 12 or 23mm offset as I want just a bit more room on the bike. I can get both for the same price at my LBS. Bike is specced with 45mm stem and 760 bar (stock is 70mm and 720 I think). I bought the bike second hand build like this and will try a 60mm stem next. I don't want to give up the handlebar as I prefer the current width. That may just be enough as the 2016 Trance comes with the new 0 offset post and 730/70 cockpit if I'm not mistaken and the geo did not change since 2014.

I've read about some issue of the seat slipping on the older offset head. Seems like there is not a perfect dropper out there, but sounds like the Giant has a better reliability record than the Reverb I currently have.

How is the cold weather performance? Reverb starts to get finicky below 45F and sometimes stops working altogether below 40F. I ride very little in wet and muddy conditions.
    for me a setback post puts my weight too far back for climbing/cornering balance, so I just replaced my '15 dropper with a '16 125mm dropper. If you bought too small a frame, a setback post may give you "more room" but your balance may be off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    That makes sense, I dont think my frame is too small, just need to tweak the cockpit. This is a medium Trance 27.5 and I'm 5'9".

I'll probably just get the 2016 post.
    2018 RSD Middlechild

mtbr member
    Get a 2016, 150mm model.
    What size bars and stem are you running? I wouldn't go with too short stem, 60 and 70mm are fine, but go for wider bars, maybe 750-780mm depends on your preferences.
    Wider bars are going to bring your upper body forwards a bit and your lower body will stay in the good position for pedaling.
    I'm not a fan of offset posts for full suspension mountain bikes, the rear sags a lot when going up steep hills and offset moves your weight too much backwards and that's not a good recipe at all.

Also, when you drop your saddle, with non-offset post it will be more forward and let you move more on the bike, so you won't have to worry about catching rear of the saddle when moving your butt over the rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm running 760 bar and 45mm stem on the M Trance. Stock '14 trance came with 690 or 700mm bar and 70mm stem and I think later Trance models may have 720 or 730mm bar and 70mm stem? Somewhere along there. I would not want to go back to 70mm stem if I don't have to, but pretty much decided to give 60mm a try and keep my 760 bar. I also have 760/60 on my fat bike and prefer this width. Had 740 bar before and was just a bit narrower than I would have liked.

150mm post is 440mm long, wouldn't that be too long for a medium Trance with a curved seatube? 125mm travel 395mm version should be fine for me.

All good points regarding the riding position, so I'll just go with the '16 post.
    2018 RSD Middlechild

mtbr member
    If you ride with post extended 20cm or more go for 150mm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm running 760 bar and 45mm stem on the M Trance. Stock '14 trance came with 690 or 700mm bar and 70mm stem and I think later Trance models may have 720 or 730mm bar and 70mm stem? Somewhere along there. I would not want to go back to 70mm stem if I don't have to, but pretty much decided to give 60mm a try and keep my 760 bar. I also have 760/60 on my fat bike and prefer this width. Had 740 bar before and was just a bit narrower than I would have liked.

150mm post is 440mm long, wouldn't that be too long for a medium Trance with a curved seatube? 125mm travel 395mm version should be fine for me.

All good points regarding the riding position, so I'll just go with the '16 post.
    Yeah my 2015 Med came with 730mm bar and 70mm stem, and even though I'm 5'8" I've kept the stem (even inverted it with a 5mm rise 740mm bar) because I have a long torso.

"El Whatever"
    I ordered one in 125mm for my Anthem SX. Yet to arrive, though. The shop had the 440-150 and the 100mm-small versions. I played safe and went for the 395.

I run normally a Thomson 410mm post and the 440 may had worked... probably. But I didn't want to risk it. 125mm is enough for me.
    Check my Site

Your Best Friend
    I've had a 2016 125mm post for a little while. It was mostly in storage over the winter but I've had a few good rides on it now. It works, and I don't have to think about it so that counts as a success in my book.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Absolutely, I just want it to work reliably unlike some other seat posts I had in the past. Ordered 2016 125mm as well.
    2018 RSD Middlechild

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    How are people liking this post? My reverb has stopped returning and I'd rather put the money into a new post than repairing mine since I've never really cared for the one I have (too short, wrong remote). There isn't a lot of info, but the lack of complaints is encouraging, particularly regarding reliability. Some don't like the remote, but there seems to be other compatible options. I'm also looking at the Fox Transfer, but the early views are mixed. Any thoughts or insights? Thank you in advance!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Have my Giant Contact Switch for about 8 months and I'm very happy with it, so far not a single issue unlike my two Reverbs before. Works the same in any weather, although so far I rode only up to about -2C. Reverb would not return once it hit 6-7C outside. I like the remote much better than Reverbs as well. Best part it was a lot cheaper the Rock Shox, actually the cheapest 'brand' name one I could get locally. Only downside to one for some may be it only comes in 30.9mm.
    2018 RSD Middlechild

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm very happy with mine too. Been working just great.

Also don't worry about the remote. It's just fine. I'm sure there are more ergonomic options out there but had I not seen them I'd have nothing to complain about.

If you do get one, make sure you unscrew the shaft cap and clean/regrease every couple of rides to keep it working great and to avoid stanchion scratching from accumulating dirt.

Mine looks brand new almost a year in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by DimitrisCSD View Post
    I'm very happy with mine too. Been working just great.

Also don't worry about the remote. It's just fine. I'm sure there are more ergonomic options out there but had I not seen them I'd have nothing to complain about.

If you do get one, make sure you unscrew the shaft cap and clean/regrease every couple of rides to keep it working great and to avoid stanchion scratching from accumulating dirt.

Mine looks brand new almost a year in.
    I have had the Contact 150 dropper for 6-7 months and love it, not one issue, and I have no issues with the remote either. I got mine from a local well known bike shop called The Path, those guys said they believe the Contact dropper to be the best one for the $$$.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have a 2016 150mm that came on my Trance. It's been pretty sloppy since new, has a good amount of twist play and fore/aft play after only a month at most. But it's my first dropper so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. It gets pretty noisy when riding on rough trails while standing. I've greased it a bit but it hasn't helped alot.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodmunch View Post
    I have a 2016 150mm that came on my Trance. It's been pretty sloppy since new, has a good amount of twist play and fore/aft play after only a month at most. But it's my first dropper so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. It gets pretty noisy when riding on rough trails while standing. I've greased it a bit but it hasn't helped alot.
    Sounds like it could use a bit of grease on the sliding parts.
    It is not that difficult.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Sounds like it could use a bit of grease on the sliding parts.
    It is not that difficult.
    Yeah I said I already greased it. 😒

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Where are people getting the 2016 post? Local shop wants $300.

Your Best Friend
    From your local shop, for $300.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah