2013 or 2014 Giant Reign X, size XS - can't find in Giant's product archives- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2016

2013 or 2014 Giant Reign X, size XS - can't find in Giant's product archives

Hi, I recently purchased a used Giant Reign X in size XS for my kid. After scouring though Giant's product archives (US, Canada and International), Bikepedia and googling, I am unable to find a product page for this color scheme and size "XS". I have attached some pictures of the color scheme of the bike.

I was told that this is either a 2013 or 2014 Reign X, and the design of the "Reign X" lettering does match those two years. Also, I am unable to find this bike in size "XS" in the product archives.

The stock fork is a Rockshox Domain RC 26" with 160 mm travel and "Soft" spring (the Rockshox decals match bike's fluorescent green). The stock shock is a Rockshox Kage R Coil (the bike I purchased came with an aftermarket Monarch 200mm x 57mm). The seat-tube indicates "Maestro 6.7".

Apart from asking if anybody knows where I can find a product page for this bike, I am trying to understand why the bike has a 160 mm fork, but 170 mm shock setup, stock from the factory. Is that normal?

TIA.

2013 or 2014 Giant Reign X, size XS - can't find in Giant's product archives-side.jpg2013 or 2014 Giant Reign X, size XS - can't find in Giant's product archives-sidefront.jpg2013 or 2014 Giant Reign X, size XS - can't find in Giant's product archives-sidefrontright.jpg

PS: These pics are not of the actual bike I bought, but an exact similar bike, also in XS size, from the seller's friend.

mtbr member
    That is indeed a mystery bike, I wouldn't ride it if I was you. If you need XS frame size you're too small for serious mountainbiking anyway!

That being said I once heard that larger bike parks like whistler get their Giant rental bikes with custom colour schemes, maybe this is one of these bikes which could also explain the coil shock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

2013 or 2014 Giant Reign X, size XS - can't find in Giant's product archives

Quote Originally Posted by isleofmant View Post
    Apart from asking if anybody knows where I can find a product page for this bike, I am trying to understand why the bike has a 160 mm fork, but 170 mm shock setup, stock from the factory. Is that normal?
    Very weird indeed, OP, I guess the previous owner was messing around with the shock and fork travels?

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    That is indeed a mystery bike, I wouldn't ride it if I was you. If you need XS frame size you're too small for serious mountainbiking anyway!
    OP mentioned that the bike is for his kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Shadow4eva; 01-31-2018 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Quoting multiple posts

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    That being said I once heard that larger bike parks like whistler get their Giant rental bikes with custom colour schemes, maybe this is one of these bikes which could also explain the coil shock.
    That was exactly it! I had reached out to the seller with the same question, and he replied indicating that he purchased 2 of these bikes from Whistler bike park and they were special builds that Giant made for Whistler. His friend bought the other from him.

So, it has a Kage R coil shock, like the Reign SX did, but a 160 mm Domain R coil, like the Reign X did, for the 2013-14 models.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4eva View Post
    Very weird indeed, OP, I guess the previous owner was messing around with the shock and fork travels?

OP mentioned that the bike is for his kid.
    The stock fork has a decal indicating 160 mm travel and the seat tube shows "Maestro 6.7" (170 mm).

It seems like the Reign X models shipped with a 170 mm shock (Maestro 6.7") and 160 mm fork, which is surprising. I have seen bikes with forks that have longer travel than the shocks, but not the other way around.

Is there any reason to be concerned about such a setup?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by isleofmant View Post
    It seems like the Reign X models shipped with a 170 mm shock (Maestro 6.7") and 160 mm fork

Is there any reason to be concerned about such a setup?
    Thanks.
    no, in fact that setup actually makes sense for a bike that is mainly used for downhill applications since the overproportional use of rear travel better compensates for a steepening headangle due to the fork compressing under load

As an example, imagine the other way round: 180mm front travel but just 140mm tear travel, the fork would use a lot of travel whereas the shock can't thus making the whole geometry much steeper everytime you hit something big with your front wheel

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    That makes sense now since it was a Whistler build, cheers OP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk