200lb NRS rider looking for a new fork (xpost)- Mtbr.com
    TR
    Angry bunny

200lb NRS rider looking for a new fork (xpost)

I am looking to get a new fork for the NRS as I am not 100% happy with the Duke that came with it.
    I ride XC and am a big chicken when it comes to drops etc.
    Cost will be a factor and so I have been looking at the MX Comp and Manitou Black Elite. Anyone got any other thoughts for a good inexpensive XC fork??
    I am not quite sure on the Manitou as it seems that the coil may be a bit light for my weight based on some of the reviews I have read.

mtbr member
    I'd definitely steer away from the lightweight XC forks if I were you.

Manitou makes ride kits for all of their forks - with your weight, you'd be looking at an X-Firm kit. They only run about $20 from your local bike shop. I ride with a guy that just upgraded to an ASX - but he was riding a Jamis Dakar XC with a Black Elite up front. He went with the X-Firm spring and was VERY happy with it...until we all started riding more aggressively, doing drops, etc. (hence the ASX).
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

RockShox Physlo

Quote Originally Posted by toowoombarider
    I am looking to get a new fork for the NRS as I am not 100% happy with the Duke that came with it.
    I ride XC and am a big chicken when it comes to drops etc.
    Cost will be a factor and so I have been looking at the MX Comp and Manitou Black Elite. Anyone got any other thoughts for a good inexpensive XC fork??
    I am not quite sure on the Manitou as it seems that the coil may be a bit light for my weight based on some of the reviews I have read.
    I am 6'2" 215lbs and ride a NRS 20.5", large frame. I really like the Physlo I put on about 6 month ago. I have the U-turn version which allows me fine tune the geomery of the bike for my ridings style. The fork has not had any problem with my weight. I would recomment the fork. Look on ebay, you should be able to find a pretty good deal. You will get what you pay for, so don't skimp.

mtbr member
    nmcculloch - I'm kind of suprised at your response. What year is your Psylo? I had a 2002 Psylo until I got tired of it leaking (after two RockShox rebuilds) and got REALLY tired of the noodly feel when doing technical riding. I only weigh in at about 180lbs!

I upgraded to a 2003 Manitou Firefly QR20 - it's solid as a bridge pier.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

TR
    Angry bunny
    The leaking problem is why I am looking to replace my '02 RS Duke. I have pulled it apart and reassembled it 3 times in a month but it just keeps leaking and losing pressure. I have even replaced the seals with the Enduro style but still no joy. One morning I came out and the seals had blown right out of top of the forks (from the pressure I take it).
    Have decided to go down the Noleen Mega Air route. Duckman and others seem VERY happy with theirs but I also hear some very bad reports about them. Although, the bad reaports seem to be from people with the originals rather than the rebuilds being sold via eDiscountbike on ebay. At US$100 it is a great price and hopefully I will be as happy as Duckman.