2008 Trace X0 or 2008 Reign 0 : You choose I buy!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Smile 2008 Trace X0 or 2008 Reign 0 : You choose I buy!!

I have gone fricken insane looking at stupid statistics and posts... on the new 2008 bikes

2008 reign 0 = 6inches rear
    2008 trance x0 = 5inches rear

Say reign or trance... the most number of a certain bike and I will buy that bike.

Thanks guys!
    RGV250 http://www.tekutaro.com
    GymBookings Software for your gym http://www.gymbookings.com

mtbr member
    style of riding???

types of Trails you ride?

some background info would be good

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    all my riding is off road, trail with a few drops and small jumps, climbing and very technical single track.
    RGV250 http://www.tekutaro.com
    GymBookings Software for your gym http://www.gymbookings.com

mtbr member
    definately the trance..

Come on winter!
    Quote Originally Posted by icycold
    all my riding is off road, trail with a few drops and small jumps, climbing and very technical single track.

This screams for a Trance X. As do I.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I picked up a 2008 Reign 0 last week and just spent 3 days riding in Bend, Oregon. Put lots of miles on it and in varied terrain (lava fields, climbs, fast downhills, twisty trees, xcountry...). I'm very happy with this bike. It climbs great with minimal pedal bob. I'm still dialing in the rear shock. I've ridden the new Trance X and it's a great bike also. But with the reduced weight of the new Reign, it's hard to beat. I made the right choice for me.

I AM I AM
    I've got a regular trance with 130mm travel up front, short stem basically a nice tight cockpit, big tires. It's great for just the type of riding you have described - small jumps / drops, basically riding on the trails for fun.

I'd go the Trance X, you have a smidgen more standover compared to the Reign, and a slightly shorter wheelbase making it a bit more nimble.

Mar 2007
    I'd go for a reign (the extra inch would come in handy...and I also ordered Reign frame from my LBS).

Hehehe

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If you don't drop more than 4-5' then TranceX will do. It should also be a little more agile on climbs and in the tight, twisty sections because of geometry.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've been riding the 2008 Reign. Very light for 6 inches of travel. Compared to my stumpjumper, I don't think it gives up very much as far as climbing goes. Of course the downhills are a blast.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    That's a toughy, you can always do xc/lite trails with more travel, kinda tough to do more rugged/technical stuff with less travel, I'd go with the Reign unless the trance is at least 3 to 4 pounds lighter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Go with the Trance!
    You should appreciate the climbing better than the Reign.
    ... Well... my comment is more subjective since I'm thinking of getting a Trance X1 also.
    Trankill,
    Marin Mount Vision 5.7 '09

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by machypooh
    I'd go for a reign (the extra inch would come in handy...and I also ordered Reign frame from my LBS).

Hehehe
    What was the price for the frameset? Did you order it from a dealer here in the US?

Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    What was the price for the frameset? Did you order it from a dealer here in the US?
    No, Im in the Philippines. I was able to order it for $950.00. The dealer told me it was a team frame. I was surprised to hear there was a team frame.

It's arriving this October. Will post pics once I get it.

TranceX Rider
    No, Im in the Philippines. I was able to order it for $950.00. The dealer told me it was a team frame. I was surprised to hear there was a team frame.

There you go, Bro! Indulge, my fella Giant!

S'up? Miss ya'll, Guys!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

Stray Bullet
    Anyone know if a 7.875 x 2.25 shock will work? How about a coil shock?

Aug 2007

Bro, care to share what lbs have this by order?I'm from phils, too. I'm thinking of upgrading to trance X, I have an anthem 3 right now..

Regards,
    Charles

TranceX Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    Anyone know if a 7.875 x 2.25 shock will work? How about a coil shock?
    I'm assuming that would be for a reign's rear... How about the shock size for a Trance-X? Anyone, pls?

TIA!

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by Onie
    I'm assuming that would be for a reign's rear... How about the shock size for a Trance-X? Anyone, pls?

TIA!
    Per the Giant set-up manual.

Trance X: 7.25" x 1.75". Very odd size that isn't made aftermarket.

TranceX Rider
    This is what I need--I'll bookmark it! Thanks for the quick response!

For those, metrically inclined: 184.15 x 44.45, like me. Very odd, indeed! There goes my chance in making it much more lighter. No way for an SSD carbon! Huhuhuh!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Could you weigh your 08 R1, and post it? I haven't been able to find it's weight anywhere on the web. Giant's been claiming 27.5lbs for the Tx1(no pedals). I was wondering what the 08 R0 was.
    Thanks,
    D-

mtbr member
    Trance is more $ but a more rounded bike. I agree that it will handle twisty stuff better and will be more nimble. It will be easier to push around for longer rides too.

Live Free or Ride!
    Trance
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hello,i ride a trance for 2 years i've been very happy with it.Go for the trance x,

mtbr member
    I am having the same trouble deciding.

What's the weight difference between the TX0 and R0 2008?
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2019 Norco Search XR Steel
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

2010 Glory custom FR
    TX0 is about 11,85kg w/o pedals
    R0 is... wil know tomorrow in the morning

BTW, I have just ordered TX0 szie S for myself
    pozdro
    frango

Apr 2004
    Trance...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Trance x

I just got a TX1. I used to ride an 05 reign3 w/ many up grades(hyes 9s, nixon Platinum IT, Maverick speedball) I live in Northcentral Vt. Keeping the Mountain in MTB. My friends were smoking me on the climbs(of course I could always get in better shape). I went from 35.75 lbs to 28.25 lbs by switching to the trance x1. That's probably like leaving the Reign's rear triangle at home.
    The X1 goes ZOOOOM!! Just put the pedal down, and hold on.
    Don't get me wrong,I love my Reign going down. I just can't get away from that freakin' Mountain. I look forward to taking the reign to the Bike parks, but if there is regular climbing involved, I'm taking the Trance. In fact, unless I am going to need the extra travel, why carry the extra weight?
    My hole reason for buying the TX1 was to lose lbs. 5" is still fairly comfortable for all mtn riding. Large drops to flat are out, but that's not good on the reign either.
    Live in Kansas=Get the Reign
    Live near a mountain=Get the Trance X
    My $.02
    D-

Enlightened
    2008 TX0 is supposed to be 26.x pounds according to this article.
    http://www.bikemag.com/features/onli...-2008-release/
    That jives with frango's statement.

Don't know what a Jenny Craig'ed 2008 R0 weighs in at but the frame itself is supposed to be at least 1.5 lbs lighter than the 2007's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

2008 Reign O weight

Quote Originally Posted by dmciivt
    Could you weigh your 08 R1, and post it? I haven't been able to find it's weight anywhere on the web. Giant's been claiming 27.5lbs for the Tx1(no pedals). I was wondering what the 08 R0 was.
    Thanks,
    D-
    I weighed the Reign O yesterday in a shop in so-cal. with average spd pedals the bike was 29.5 pounds. My only concern over the trance xo is the standover height and the height of the bottom bracket, otherwise it is a sweet rig.

mtbr member
    just read two reviews on the TX0 and i want one... mountain bike weighed a L TX0 and it was 26.06lb and Bike weighed an XL and it was a little under 27lb.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

2008 reign 0

just ordered the reign 0... decline mag just weighed a lg at 28.26 with a change to my fox rp23 shock the bike should be 27.75 lbs cheaper and more versitile than the trance for me...........trance x0 looks like a winner also (bike of the year)??
    jack

TranceX Rider
    I'd say, Machy, go on heckling... for you've got yourself a nice ride lately... White one, right?

So, I can see that you've changed your allegiance now... You've been syndicated, Brodah! LoL!!!

Giant Anthem

trance

Quote Originally Posted by icycold
    I have gone fricken insane looking at stupid statistics and posts... on the new 2008 bikes

2008 reign 0 = 6inches rear
    2008 trance x0 = 5inches rear

Say reign or trance... the most number of a certain bike and I will buy that bike.

Thanks guys!

I vote Trance. I have a trance 2 and rode in the front range trails in colorado. It handles any thing i've thrown at it and rides amazing. I weigh 160 so the trance is perfect in the rough stuff yet very climable and nimble. The trance is trail bike design and your riding style sounds like trail. The trance should be a good fit. Do you have huge climbs and downhillls where you ride. Will you ever do a XC race or downhill? Trance is xc raceable while the reign wouldn't be. The trance could be used in a downhill race if set up right. So this way the trance is lighter and more versatile with racing and lighter for climbing yet can eat up the downhills and rough stuff.
    Last edited by 2fst4u; 01-06-2008 at 08:00 AM.

attending to my vices
    I say Reign.

So far I haven't read any convincing arguments against it. People are comparing old Reigns to new Trances which isn't relevant. If you are not racing, 29 pounds for any bike is light and very easy to climb on. Let alone a 6" bike as capable as the Reign. They pedal fantastically well. If you haven't already, go test ride it for yourself. That will be much more convincing than people's biased opinions.

The difference in weight between the two is so marginal with the 2008 models that it should not be the deciding factor between the two.

I personally would much rather have the Reign that would encourage me to progress the level and diversity of my riding rather than the standard, "you can only ride it so hard" bread and butter trail bike. They are both great bikes but the Reign is an open door to burly sh!t.

Why not have that key in your pocket?
    OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    solid Reign 07 or 08, up-hill or down-hill. A non hesitant bike.
    climb, drop, jump, rocks, roots, ruts and switch backs where i love most on this bike.
    Just change size of your tire depending the type of trail your riding.
    2.1 for up hill
    2.35 to 2.5 for dh

try first both bikes, you barely feel the weight difference once you pedal uphill.
    Last edited by t2long; 01-06-2008 at 07:31 AM.

I'd rather be riding
    Jan 2008
    Trance X for you my friend. I'm awaiting mine later this month after doing Giant's maestro tour about a month and a half ago. I've got an X1 on the way for myself. It really is one of very few FS bikes that has serious legitimacy in design and a killer parts spec with a really affordable price tag in my opinion. Happy trails

Dec 2007
    I was in the same predictament as you are in now. Between reign or trance x i picked the trance x cut it is a lot lighter and I do pretty the same riding you do...mostly technical riding with 2-3' drops constantly...TRANCE x1 all the way bro

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mvray
    I picked up a 2008 Reign 0 last week and just spent 3 days riding in Bend, Oregon. Put lots of miles on it and in varied terrain (lava fields, climbs, fast downhills, twisty trees, xcountry...). I'm very happy with this bike. It climbs great with minimal pedal bob. I'm still dialing in the rear shock. I've ridden the new Trance X and it's a great bike also. But with the reduced weight of the new Reign, it's hard to beat. I made the right choice for me.
    Could you measure the unsagged bottom bracket height on your bike and post it? I'm interested in the Reign 0 as a replacement for my Blur classic, but we have tons of rock gardens here in New England and low bbs are a no go for me. I've seen conflicting bb numbers from tests of the new Reign; the Giant website only lists a bb drop dimension.

Members who have read this thread: 0