2008 Giant Yukon FX Suspension Questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2008 Giant Yukon FX Suspension Questions

Hey guys,

Pretty new rider here, but finally trying to learn on how to work on my bike myself. That being said, I stumbled upon a bike I want to build up. Iím a fan of taking an under gunned product and building a monster out of it. I do the same with cars etc. So thatís to say that I donít really care how much money I put into it. I understand everyone is going to say save your money and buy a better bike. I simply just donít want to/donít have a large lump sum of money to do that right now. I think it would be fun to take this little junker and make it all my own.

Now that thatís out of the way! I have no idea what Iím doing lol. I found some specs online. I understand my forks need to be 100mm travel and that my wheels are 26Ē, aside from that Iím not sure what Iím doing. I know that I want air forks and center suspension with lock outs. Possibly even remote lockout if the price is right.

Specs in question here Giant Yukon FX 2008 Specs

However still doesnít tell me what exact sized fork I will need? And also, what size is my center shock? I dug around online and found on this forum someone talking about the Giant center shock on the bike, but no real info on sizing. Does anyone know it? Otherwise, if I pull it out can I take some specific measurements of some sort to find out what I can replace it with? I believe also that itís 80mm travel.

Any help would be MUCH appreciate. Thanks everyone!

Here she is after a quick bath

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotMTB View Post
    Iím a fan of taking an under gunned product and building a monster out of it.

I think it would be fun to take this little junker and make it all my own.

Iím not sure what Iím doing.
    The Yukon was meant for people who cannot afford a real mountain bike and that was 10 years ago. Better get something real instead of wasting your limited funds on this piece of crap. No offense pal but you can't turn a cow into a racehorse.

If you're looking for a beginners bike the diamondback atroz with modern geometry and good entry level spec is a great deal and worth later upgrading:
    https://www.diamondback.com/atroz-comp

Compared to this, the Atroz with it's much better components looks like a steal for just 350 more:
    https://www.diamondback.com/hook-60301

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    Better get something real instead of wasting your limited funds on this piece of crap. No offense pal but you can't turn a cow into a racehorse.
    I totally agree with you. The fact of the matter is I already own this bike, and if I just got the questions answered about sizing/fitment of the parts then I can A learn to wrench on it during the installs, and B make a funner bike for not much money. Iíll already be purchasing a 2019 Giant Fathom 1 at some point in the future. The bikes you listed look great, but again, I will likely go through with modifying said piece of crap. Iím not setting out to buy a $600 Fox fork new, or really much of anything new because that would be madness.

Anyone able to answer some of the questions in my original post?

mtbr member
    The last ten years so much has changed in the bike world that finding and replacing fork/rear shock on this bike is not worth the time or money. Totally agree with @Steel Calf. You will never be able to turn this into a ďmonster.Ē
    I would ride this like you stole it and start saving for something more modern.
    😐

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    The headtube is straight so you need a fork with a straight steerer tube, today they're hard to find but not impossible. It came with a 100mm travel fork, look for a 120mm air sprung with rebound and compression adjustments, lockout is not necessary. The extra travel will relax the geometry a little making it more fun.

Rear shock, you need to at least measure the eye to eye length but you'll need to find out stroke in order to look for a replacement, again not impossible but hard.

Drivetrain, make it 1x with 9 or 10 in the back.

Any more questions post or google it.

You can throw as much money at it as you can but you can't convert a turd into a diamond.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    The headtube is straight so you need a fork with a straight steerer tube, today they're hard to find but not impossible. It came with a 100mm travel fork, look for a 120mm air sprung with rebound and compression adjustments, lockout is not necessary. The extra travel will relax the geometry a little making it more fun.

Rear shock, you need to at least measure the eye to eye length but you'll need to find out stroke in order to look for a replacement, again not impossible but hard.

Drivetrain, make it 1x with 9 or 10 in the back.

Any more questions post or google it.

You can throw as much money at it as you can but you can't convert a turd into a diamond.
    Thank you! And yes again Iím very aware of that. Still think itíll be fun to tinker with. I basically got the bike for free anyways. And wouldnít a 120mm fork stress the frame to much? At least thatís what Iíve always heard. I will also be doing some sort of 1x conversion as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotMTB View Post
    wouldnít a 120mm fork stress the frame to much? At least thatís what Iíve always heard
    Yes it does, 20mm won't hurt it but more will do.