Reign 0

Here you go 2008 Giant Reign

Reign 1

Reign 2

Reign X0

Reign X1

Reign X2

mtbr member
    that would be cool if they sold the x2 frame with that roco shock... the poor brown color is ugly tho.

mtbr member
    This is going to be a tough decision for me. Trance X or Reign?

Hurry and release complete specs!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It looks like the top tube is now higher on the reign which will reduce stand over clearance. Thats one of the things I like about the current reign. The frame is a bit heavy but all the weight is low.

I would imagine this will handle a lot different to the current reign even though the angles look the same.

I wonder if one of the reasons they have changed the frame is to make it easier to make a carbon frame?

jones'in
    Honestly....I hate the fact that they removed the 'thru-downtube' shock mount on the standard Reign. IMO the standard Reigns look pretty silly with the new shock mount. Were they having problems with the previous setup?

Thank god they left well enough alone on the X version. I'm on an '07 X1 right now and it rides better than it looks.....and it is ridiculously good looking.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hmm im interested in the frame weight difference between Reign and Trance X (providing the shock is Fox RP23/2/watever series) is the same

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm buying the 07 Reign....

The Netherlands
    I'm really confused. The 'standard' Reigns look like Trances to me. Can anyone help me out on explaining the difference, except for the amount of travel?

- Maarten

mtbr member

I just rode one around a shop

Pretty nice. I hadn't read about the Giants at all. Salesman was pretty excited about it. He had a Reign 0 and Reign 1 (or was it 1 and 2), the cheapest =$1800 and mid-level = $2300-2400. I rode the mid-level bike. Took it up some steep paved roads in Boulder, to get an idea of climbing capability. Did quite well, impressive suspension. Felt nice off and up curbs and on bumps at high speed. Really nice ride.

Noticeable noise in the BB area when cranking uphills - that's not so good. And what are these Stroker brakes? Someone mentioned essentially Hayes, which was bought and sold under a different name?

I came away thinking Propedal not necessary on this bike, which could save you some money. I let air out for less preload and still it climbed very well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    unwritten, the difference between all off those models are the geometry, weight and like you say, travel.

jonny boy - I agree with you about the noise coming from the BB area. My Anthem seem to suffer from the same fate, im going to send it to my LBS for some checking. Im using LX External BB by the way. Anyone have the same problem as mine??

the goose is loose!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny boy
    And what are these Stroker brakes? Someone mentioned essentially Hayes, which was bought and sold under a different name?
    it's the new Hayes brake. the Hayes Stroker. to my knowledge, Hayes still owns itself. i've been looking in to some srokers, one of my magazines said they test rode a bike with strokers and were impressed with the brakes. could be what hayes needed to get back into the mix.

The Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    unwritten, the difference between all off those models are the geometry, weight and like you say, travel.
    I see it now. I overlayed the Trance sideview over the Reign. Most striking differences;

- Much more ground clearance for the Reign;
    - The rear-triangle and front of the Reign seem to stand-up much more, while that of the Trance seems to 'hang'.
    - Beefier rear-triangle for the Reign.

Apr 2006
    From my experience on a creaking BB with my anthem, the BB cups were just loose. We took them out, greased them, and put them back on tight.

fight the system
    I'll bet the new Reign frame drops over a pound over the '07 (edit, verified it's 1.62 lbs lighter) and is a better rival to the enduro SL. Less is more. I just wish they'd stop putting on race face cranks but i'm glad they've stuck with Fox forx.
    Last edited by jakomonster; 07-16-2007 at 12:39 PM.
    If you believe that I've got some magic beans to sell ya.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Race Face = Strong and cheap?

fight the system
    My deus cranks separated from the bb on the non-drive side and the bearings were always really stiff to turn, especailly after riding in the rain. My wifes raceface had the same bearing problems. I never had a problem with my shimano cranks. oh, did i mention i'm only 140lbs soaking wet?

I already rode that
    Have no issues with my 06 Reign 2 other then the seatpost loves to creak after a ride or 2.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

I already rode that
    So the frame is just over 6lbs now?
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    They look great, been holding out for the 08 models shame about the gold brown colour on the Reign 1, wish Giant would release a blue Reign again, will reserve judgement until I see it in the flesh.

mtbr member
    Anyone know when the 08' will be avaliable?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny boy
    Pretty nice. I hadn't read about the Giants at all. Salesman was pretty excited about it. He had a Reign 0 and Reign 1 (or was it 1 and 2), the cheapest =$1800 and mid-level = $2300-2400. I rode the mid-level bike. Took it up some steep paved roads in Boulder, to get an idea of climbing capability. Did quite well, impressive suspension. Felt nice off and up curbs and on bumps at high speed. Really nice ride.

Noticeable noise in the BB area when cranking uphills - that's not so good. And what are these Stroker brakes? Someone mentioned essentially Hayes, which was bought and sold under a different name?

I came away thinking Propedal not necessary on this bike, which could save you some money. I let air out for less preload and still it climbed very well.
    I think I actually rode the Trance X, oops.

Yeah BB noise is typically loose cup, easy enough to solve - just wanted to ensure it wasn't a fundamental problem. I'll talk to the shop guys.

Nice bike, tempted...

mtbr member
    I think they screwed up all the lines on the Reign and Trance redesigns. Used to be a nice flow from the top tube down to the seatstays. Now they've got all those curvies in there. I guess if it saves weight...

mtbr member
    I hate these new frames. The one year giant gets the paint jobs right, the frames look crap

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    but its lighter and stiffer

the goose is loose!
    at least they don't look like 07 specialized demos.......

i am actually starting to warm up to the new reign design. looks cleaner. though i still miss the pierced down tube on it. i thought of it as their signature. i hope the new reign is as strong as the 07. even though i'm getting the X.

mtbr member
    the new design looks good IMO ! But I like the looks of Faith too, so...

RaceFace - crap from my experience (creaky, bearings got really stiff after 4 days of wet conditions, problems with spindle/axle fit, because of too long axle), where I live RF is not cheap! Will change then to Saints any time I have money for it....
    Passion beyond reason!

Apr 2007
    what type of riding will the 2008 reign be aimed for ? i want a hard core trail blaster , but not a hucker . got a 2007 trek ex 9 4.7 in travel now and love it . what do you think the 2008 reign zero will weigh ?

the goose is loose!
    shoot i wouldn't be surprised if it was sub-30 pounds.

Slower But Faster
    Quote Originally Posted by mjalbert
    what type of riding will the 2008 reign be aimed for ? i want a hard core trail blaster , but not a hucker . got a 2007 trek ex 9 4.7 in travel now and love it . what do you think the 2008 reign zero will weigh ?
    I think "hard core trail blaster" pretty much sums up what the Reign is all about. Giant might use the term "all-mountain" in their marketing. With the weight they claim to have dropped it should be getting close to 30lbs.

I think I'll be sticking with my '06 (upgraded with Talas 36s) for another year.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD
    I think "hard core trail blaster" pretty much sums up what the Reign is all about. Giant might use the term "all-mountain" in their marketing. With the weight they claim to have dropped it should be getting close to 30lbs.

I think I'll be sticking with my '06 (upgraded with Talas 36s) for another year.
    Do you travel adjust on the fly a lot? Notice the extra weight on all day rides?

Apr 2007
    the layout of the bike looks very xc like .(rider position) just with extra travel . that should = fast + fun !

Apr 2006
    What fork do you think is on the reign x2?

Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by elsinore
    Anyone know when the 08' will be avaliable?
    In England we are expecting the new Reigns the end of September

Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by natebyrom
    Zoke 55

the goose is loose!
    Quote Originally Posted by natebyrom
    55 TST or 55 R

Reader
    Oct 2005

Reign X2

Comes with 55R. Saw the new catalog.

the goose is loose!
    cool one of my guesses was right. i wonder how a 55 will compare to a 36. i read an NSMB ride report about the Roco Air (RC i think it was) and the dude said it felt like a coil. might be a great option for this bike. but damn, 1800 for the X2. it's tempting me. a lot.

the goose is loose!
    hardcore double postage

mtbr member
    Anyone got the beef on the differences between Giants 2007 Reign XO TopDraw, which is what I have now and the new 2008 XO TopDraw model...?

Cable routing...?
    Stiffer head tube...?
    Lighter forged shock cage...?
    More aesthetic paintjob - PLEASE let this be so because I loved the gold/bronze look but if it was bead blasted and anodized it would be serious EYE candy.
    Lighter and better "Y" section rear designed triangle...?

No idea yet and I have not see the new one (08) in the flesh other than the XO I have now and I have not seen enough pics of the 08 Reign XO TopDraw - [See post 42]; series other than side profiles, to make a judgement...as well as pics being LRes so making it difficult to blow up and study changes.

Any peeps have the know yet...?
    Last edited by Sim2u; 07-23-2007 at 04:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Agree and dissagree there mate.

I agree that its underdesigned cheap crap...but cheap non-the-less. But my older Dues were pretty good for what they were. Yet, in agreement, in saying that I would put on my shims rather than those at the end of the day when all is said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by goRz
    the new design looks good IMO ! But I like the looks of Faith too, so...

RaceFace - crap from my experience (creaky, bearings got really stiff after 4 days of wet conditions, problems with spindle/axle fit, because of too long axle), where I live RF is not cheap! Will change then to Saints any time I have money for it....

fight the system
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2u
    Anyone got the beef on the differences between Giants 2007 Reign XO TopDraw, which is what I have now and the new 2008 XO TopDraw model...?

Cable routing...?
    Stiffer head tube...?
    Lighter forged shock cage...?
    More aesthetic paintjob - PLEASE let this be so because I loved the gold/bronze look but it was bead blasted and anodized it would be serious EYE candy.
    Lighter and better "Y" section rear designed triangle...?

No idea yet and I ahve not see one in the flesh other than what I have now and I have not seen enough pics of the 08 Reign XO TopDraw series other than side profiles, to make a judgement...as well as pics being LRes so making it difficult to blow up and study changes.

Any peeps have the know yet...?

what the hell is the TopDraw?

mtbr member
    What the "HELL" is a TopDraw...? Well I dont know what "A" top draw is, but you could say "Top Draw" {generalized} is like the fastest "gun slinger" or the "fastes and the best"...but I guess you could say technically its, Top drawer, but shortened to topdraw, which also means, like a gun, draw the quickest and the best.

But, let me entertain the notion, that you know what a synonym is, if so here a few related to "TopDraw" Products in the context of MTB's - remembering that its generalized as many, so its not "a topdraw", just "topdraw":

TopDraw/: 1) Top of the line 2) The best 3) Elite product line 4) High end 5) The really really good one 6) The wallet hugging MTB 7) The women with the RED dress

8) top drawer
    –noun the highest level in rank, excellence, or importance: a musician strictly out of the top drawer.

[Origin: 1900–05] — Related forms: top-draw top-drawer, adjective

ANYWAY chaps, this has been really Naff, so enough of the stupid English lessons and what about the "comparative differences with the "Top of the line Reign 07 and 08"...? Thanks.

Slower But Faster
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    Do you travel adjust on the fly a lot? Notice the extra weight on all day rides?
    Sometimes drop the travel down to 130mm on long extended climbs, very easy to do on the fly. The extra weight is pretty minimal over the Pikes I was running before, about 200g, so not really noticeable. The extra travel balances the bike out nicely.

the goose is loose!
    looks like that roco is just an R coil....darn

mtbr member
    Yes I myself have heard mixed results regarding the Rocco shock...I have never owned one or ridden one either so I can not express my opinion here either! But what do think of these...?

Quote Originally Posted by rm_racer
    looks like that roco is just an R coil....darn

mtbr member
    Talking about rediculously goodlooking - to get off track just a smidgen; I was at the DH comp in Hakaisan, IN Japan and I asked my mate to take a pic of myself, friends with Naokia Idegawa, the Japanese DH champ sponsored by Honda. This is the production model Hinda that they will be selling VERY soon for around $10, 000 US there abouts. I was able to really look over this bike and play with it a bit - BUT NO RIDING of course.

This is a beautiful bike.

Quote Originally Posted by venom600
    Honestly....I hate the fact that they removed the 'thru-downtube' shock mount on the standard Reign. IMO the standard Reigns look pretty silly with the new shock mount. Were they having problems with the previous setup?

Thank god they left well enough alone on the X version. I'm on an '07 X1 right now and it rides better than it looks.....and it is ridiculously good looking.

--Ben
    Attached Images Attached Images

2010 Glory custom FR
    Sim2u, have you any idea about the weight if the Honda bike?
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    The production model not yet no...sorry mate.
    When I catch up with him again Ill ask and or chuck it on the scales. But his bike has the Japanese Showa shock set up where as the American models...well, who knows what they will be stocked up with. Yet I imagine you are reffering to "stand-alone" weight though, frame only...yes. Again, not too sure yet...?
    Last edited by Sim2u; 08-07-2007 at 06:49 PM.

mtbr member
    This now looks to be a bit of a cloud dream now with Honda pulling out suddenly...arg

mtbr member
    They poored all the tech into the gear box and left the suspension design in the stone age.

mtbr member
    Ha ha ha... I would still buy it though as would many.

Quote Originally Posted by Benno
    They poored all the tech into the gear box and left the suspension design in the stone age.

mtbr member
    They are trying to copy the designs of the SC Nomad and Ibis MC's with those curvy TT's and BT's.

the goose is loose!
    maybe not copy, but going with the trend of more organic-looking bikes and stuff. marin is doing it, specialized is, even trek is. SC doesn't have a curvy down tube. it's straight.

mtbr member
    Even Giant does it lol

the goose is loose!
    thats what i said....

mtbr member
    ummmmmm when? We were talking about the Honda DH bike which is now RIP lol

the goose is loose!
    oh i thought we were talking about giant....

mtbr member
    I would'nt go as far as to say that though, the Honda is more like a trails Motorbike than any other MTBike IMHO. The whole front section is ity-mighty-sexy and tough with some nice functional lines, yet as one chap has already illustrated, the suspension is a bit dated...which, does not make it bad at all, just dated. Although the floating Rr brake would have helped a whole bunch. And this is a DH race machine not a cross country beast so suspension values would be different.

The DWLink Guru may be able to lend his expertise on this. If you could re-design the NR01 Honda rear triangle and suspension, what and how would you achieve this?

Quote Originally Posted by xtr444
    They are trying to copy the designs of the SC Nomad and Ibis MC's with those curvy TT's and BT's.

mtbr member
    Quote: oh i thought we were talking about giant....

Yeah...urm, we should be I guess hey.

Members who have read this thread: 1