2007 Giant Rainier, What would you upgrade first?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

2007 Giant Rainier, What would you upgrade first?

I am new to mt. biking. I am 5'9" 210lbs. I ride paved trails during the week, but pretty severe off road technical climbs, fast single track, trail type stuff on the weekends. What would you upgrade first on this bike?

msrp
    size M: 14", 16", 18", 20", 22" W: 12.5", 14", 16", 18"
    color M: Anthracite/Brushed W: Ice Blue/Brushed
    frame ALUXX SL butted aluminum
    fork Marzocchi MZ Race 100mm Travel w/lockout
    shifters Shimano Deore
    front derailleur Shimano Deore
    rear derailleur Shimano Deore
    brakes Avid BB5, mechanical
    brake levers Avid FR5
    cassette SRAM PG950 11-34, 9-speed
    chain Shimano HG53
    cranks TruVative ISO Flow 22/32/42T for Powerspline
    bb TruVative Powerspline
    rims WTB Dual Duty XC, 32H
    hubs Formula 32H Disc
    spokes Stainless steel 14G
    tires Kenda Blue Groove/Nevegal, 26x2.1
    handlebar Alloy, 31.8mm
    stem Alloy, 31.8mm M: 10 Rise W: 15 Rise
    seatpost Alloy 30.9x350
    saddle M: WTB Speed V W: WTB Speed She Comp
    pedals Alloy Platform
    extras chainguard

I AM I AM
    Me, I'm not used to having top of the line everything so I'd upgrade the stem / bar / post first, because if stock Giant brand stuff is anything like Specialized in house components then they will be really heavy. Although I just got a Giant Alias for my husband (Aussie) and the stock giant gear doesn't look that heavy.

Apart from that some big $$ will get you a better fork which is probably what can make one of the biggest differences apart from getting tires that suit your terrain / liking (maybe a pair of slicks for during the week for you). But then again if you're buying a new fork straight up you'd have to wonder why you purchased that model bike in the first place.

Just ride, the spec looks pretty decent to me (although I'm a sram fan these days).

mtbr member
    The MZ fork has gotta go.

mtbr member
    Your bike is pretty much the same spec as my 2007 Iguana. For minimal $ (actually 0$, I sold my old stuff from the bike and broke even) I managed to get Hayes Sole disks, EA30 stem, EA50 bar, and Manitou R7 Comp. I put one of my old XTR cassettes on it, just filed the teeth works great. Best upgrades, bar, stem, seatpost, fork, wheels, brakes, tires, cassette. I had a pair of Hutchinson Python Airlites kickin around too so I put them on. That saved me like 2lbs and those stock Kenda's were absolute garbage.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

... and if we just ... What would you replace them with?

Thanks for all the suggestions. But, what would you replace these with? For instance, someone suggested that the fork had to go, what fork would you suggest replacing it with? Also, what tires would work best for the riding I do? Thanks again for all the great suggestions.

mtbr member
    Marzocchi MX Pro
    Rock Shox Tora
    Rock Shox Reba

I AM I AM
    Yep, the RS Tora is a great fork, I have the 318 SL model on my Trance. Any of the 3 that Laurenlex recommended I'd be happy with.

Seat post would have to be a Thomson if money allows, simply the best you can get, otherwise I'd look for a twin bolt design that's similar.

Stem and bar, well personally I run a Syncros FR stem and a Race Face Deus XC bar, but really there is so much choice out there that you can't go too wrong. Just keep in mind why you are changing (is it weight or comfort or strength). Easton is pretty popular, well that's probably an understatement.

Tires - I'll leave that to someone from your region to suggest, once again it comes down to personal choice in a lot of ways. I'm on some Syncros Point N Chute tires at the moment which are fantasticl both on the road & off for me, and of a pretty decent weight for a 2.5 tire (755g each), but I did pick them up on sale for half price. Take a look at Shiggy's MTB tires site for ideas...

http://www.mtbtires.com/

Hayes Sole are not a bad brake but if you decide to go hydro go the whole hog & get something better that at least has twin pistons - Shimano range depending on what's affordable. Most people have said that BB5's or 7's work better than a single piston brake like Hayes Soles. My husbands bike came with the soles and there isn't much need to change them until the pads at least wear out - 2 sets of pads & you're probably half way to getting a really decent brake!

mtbr member
    -Rockshox REBA for fork
    -Any wheelset in the 1700-1800 gram category. Try something like a mavic 717 rim with XT hubs. They are pretty strong for your weight.
    -any set of tires in the 500 gram category.
    -lighter tubes perhaps. The light maxxis tubes are pretty cheap but good quality so even though they are lighter they will often take more punishment that a heavier cheaper tube.
    -Hayes HFX9 carbons, there are some pretty good deals on these floating around and have excellent braking power. Mechanical disks while ok when new tend to suck ass in about 500km when the cables/housing innevitably get gunked up.

mtbr member
    -the reason I went with soles is because the Iguana is my winter/commuter bike so I'm not fanatical about its performance as I have an Anthem Advanced for that

I AM I AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Benno
    -the reason I went with soles is because the Iguana is my winter/commuter bike so I'm not fanatical about its performance as I have an Anthem Advanced for that

Yes I don't mind the soles at all, they will be staying on my husbands Alias, for how long well I don't know, depends how much use the bike gets. It mainly annoys me that the pistons can't be wound in far enough to compensate for pad wear in the later stages which means you can't use your pads up past say 60% before having to buy new ones, and new ones aren't really that cheap here. I don't know maybe it was just my set, we'll see with the new bike, although it could be quite some time before they get that worn (1year or so).

My previous point to Newbie was purely that if he was upgrading from decent cable discs to get a decent hydro rather than a cheap one.

Members who have read this thread: 0