16" reign too small for a 5'8" rider?- Mtbr.com

Jul 2006

16" reign too small for a 5'8" rider?

Hi guys,

found a kickass deal on a 06 reign 2 at wheelworld.com. I live pretty close and can take advantage of the "pick up" only policy. Question is, is the 16" frame too small? I have slightly shorter reach than inseam. I'm on a medium motolite right now, and want to get something a little more aggressive. I am certainly bluring the lines with that bike after putting a 6" fork on her.

What do you think?

p

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgrath
    Hi guys,

found a kickass deal on a 06 reign 2 at wheelworld.com. I live pretty close and can take advantage of the "pick up" only policy. Question is, is the 16" frame too small? I have slightly shorter reach than inseam. I'm on a medium motolite right now, and want to get something a little more aggressive. I am certainly bluring the lines with that bike after putting a 6" fork on her.

What do you think?

p
    I think you are blurring the lines on ML with a 6" fork.

I'm 5' 8" and have an '05 reign in 16" (also a wheelworld special) It fits me great and i'm even running a short stem (50mm). One caveat is I prefer tight fitting cockpits, so I'd think a 70mm stem would be closer to what most people would put on these bikes. A buddy has the 18" and it's certainly too big for me, so the 16 was the right call for me.

This is my XC bike, so I've got it built at 35 lbs. with a medium duty build. I really like this bike a whole bunch. I've ridden it in the bike park, on the shore and on some of our local FR trails as well and it's performed admirably. Certainly not a "big huck" bike, but I have cased a couple of good sized gaps and hips and it's no worse for the wear.

Me rolling some fun steeps on a recent alpine ride in central BC.

Hope that helps ya.

Cheers,
    EB

Jul 2006
    cool. I think I'll take the plunge then. I've ridden a buddies reign once before and was impressed. I thought it would have been too much bike at the time and opted for the moto-lite. So, plan is to build the reign up for trail riding and tone the moto-lite back for a more XC oriented ride - more what it was meant for.

looking forward to talking on this forum. EB, I think you post regularly on the titus board.... do you ride a Titus also?

Edit: What is the effective top tube for a 16"?
    Last edited by mcgrath; 09-11-2007 at 08:52 AM.

Just roll it......
    cool. I think I'll take the plunge then. I've ridden a buddies reign once before and was impressed. I thought it would have been too much bike at the time and opted for the moto-lite. So, plan is to build the reign up for trail riding and tone the moto-lite back for a more XC oriented ride - more what it was meant for.

looking forward to talking on this forum. EB, I think you post regularly on the titus board.... do you ride a Titus also?

Edit: What is the effective top tube for a 16"?
    I think the effective TT is about a 22" on the 16" but don't quote me on that. They've got the specs on the WW website, if I'm correct.

Nah, I don't own a titus. Know a few guys that own them and I hooked up with a few titus owners for a whistler trip in early August that Whafe organized. All good peeps. Mintsauce rode his Motolite a day or two in the park and did a bunch of the burly xc rides on his ML. I wouldn't necessarily advise it, but it was his one bike and it's expensive as hell to rent up there. He held his own on that thing though....for the most part!

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    damn pat, finally joining the ranks of the reign... you're welcome to try out my 18.. keep it mind that the top tubes run short on the reign. My effective top tube is about ~22.5" i run a 70mm stem for xc/trail riding and 50mm for dh racing/shuttling.

_
    Mar 2004
    patrick, does this mean you are gonna start hucking?!?!? rad!

i agree with nam, the 16" is too small for ya bro. you are taller than me and i ride a 17" kona dawg primo, my coiler deluxe was a 17" as well as my huckler.

Jul 2006
    You guys are way too alert on these forums.... what are you searching for my posts! I was cruising wheelworld and came across the reign. But I'm not that into it if it will be too small. Hence the post. I'm going to have to measure the eff. top tube on my motolite for proper comparison.... The eff top tube posted on giants website says 22" - not too bad for this type of bike. The titus is 23, and I have a 90mm stem on it.

Jul 2006
    How tall are you Nam?

mtbr member
    i'm about 5'9... you're welcome to test ride my bike anytime since i can't ride much right now... its a bit heavy at 35.6lb but i can do long xc rides on it no prob. Pedals awesome now that i put the swinger shock back on. I do have long legs, so i like the longer seat tube that the 18 has. If you're looking to use it as more of a am/fr bike, than a smaller size is not a bad idea. You are really right in between sizes and i would go with the smaller one since you already have a good all day xc/am bike in the ML.

let me get the bike tuned up properly and i can lend you the bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hi guys,

What do you think?

p
    Hi there,
    Just noticed your post,I'm in a similar position myself.I've been riding a Trance for the last year and find as my fitness and ability are improving (slowly!!!) I've been thinking of getting a bike with a bit more bounce front and back and 'cos I've been very happy with the Trance I thought I'd stick with Giant and try a Reign and the fact that there's some good deals on 07 Reign 1's at the moment makes them really good value.
    I like yourself am unsure what size to go for ( I'm 5' 8" approx 29" inside leg ),my trance is a small ( 16" ) so I thought I'd go for a small Reign but recently I dropped by my LBS and got talking to the guy and he showed me his own medium Reign which he was servicing and let me try his bike for size and it felt okay.I think ideally I'd like to try the small and medium bikes at the same time, but most bike shops only seem to keep mediums in stock! I think in the end I'll go for a small, but I think I'll wait until I can actually try one for size.

Jul 2006
    Nam, when are we going to hook up for a ride? We'll swap for a day. Sound good?

Just roll it......
    McGrath,

Definitely take TK's up on the ride offer. That's super cool of him!

I really think the 16 vs. 18" frame decision will really depend on how you like a bike to fit. I like a tighter fitting cockpit even for xc and so a 16 is actually perfect for me. I started with a 70mm stem and decided that it was a bit too long for the more agressive riding I do on it and I jumped down to a 50mm and have kept it there.

I've ridden my buddy's 18 (another wheelworld special) and it's definitely too long, but he also has a 70mm stem (or longer?) on it. I've never tried it with a shorter stem, but my hunch is it would still feel overall too big for me.

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    Nam, when are we going to hook up for a ride? We'll swap for a day. Sound good?
    i can't ride much with my messed up hand ( dislocated finger and 2 sprained fingers), i should be doign the whiting ride on sunday if u wanna try it out there..

also don't listen to EB, his idea of an xc ride is a DH run for us

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by tkblazer
    also don't listen to EB, his idea of an xc ride is a DH run for us
    Wait 'til you see what I'm riding the Reign on tomorrow (praying for sun)!

Heal up TK!
    EB

Johny Sokko!
    I'm also 5'8" and have been riding a 18" Trance and Reign. I like this size for the control at high speeds (longer wheel base). It also allows me more room to keep a good center of balance. Don't feel like I'm going over bars so easy.

mtbr member
    good points stoner...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm 5'8" also riding an 18". I tried it and the 16" when I got it and the 16" definitley felt too small, but I like a longer bike setup (mine has a 90mm stem).

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm 5'8 and on a 16 inch 05 Reign... Fits good and is only as small as a Medium heckler in terms of top tube (the crucial parameter in my opinion). The longer wheelbase of the 18" is only useful if you only ride straight wide trails at high speed...

To me the balance between stability and agility achieved by the 16" is ideal and it's only as cramped as you want it to be (I actually run a 40mm stem, even for all-day up/down rides)

Members who have read this thread: 0