Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Is a 16.5" NRS2 too small for me?

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  ducktape 
#1 ·
Hi,

I found a great deal on a 2002 NRS2 in great condition, but the frame size is 16.5". The bike is completely stock. I am 6" tall. Is the frame too small for me? What if I raise up the seat? What are the dangers of riding too small of a frame?

I appreciate it any help. I'm just getting into riding, so I'd like a good bike that can last me a while why I learn.

Thanks!

#2 ·
The small size NRS is recommended for people up to about 5ft9. At 6ft you're in medium and even possibly large territory. You would choose a medium if you like your bikes smaller or a large if you like it stretched out.

I would say that it would be too small, maybe not so much a seatpost issue but too short in the top tube. Easiest thing is to compare the TT length to your current bike.

I'm 5ft7 and ride a 16" Trance or 17" Alias, I probably wouln't want to go any smaller or bigger than that.

#3 ·
ducktape said:
The small size NRS is recommended for people up to about 5ft9. At 6ft you're in medium and even possibly large territory. You would choose a medium if you like your bikes smaller or a large if you like it stretched out.

I would say that it would be too small, maybe not so much a seatpost issue but too short in the top tube. Easiest thing is to compare the TT length to your current bike.

I'm 5ft7 and ride a 16" Trance or 17" Alias, I probably wouln't want to go any smaller or bigger than that.
AHHH, I just bought it an hour ago before I read your post!! Damn it, the guy said he had someone else interested and I need to make a decision. Man....

So, now I'm stuck with this bike. Would a taller stem help or just be a bandade to the problem? My inseam is about 32". What are the disadvantages of riding on a smaller frame?

#4 ·
I have a NRS in the 16.5" for my 5 foot tall GF. I ride it around and the handle bars hit my knee's. I am 6 foot exactly so I think that it will be too small for you. But test ride it, you might have shorter legs than me or something. But I think it will be way too small from when I ride it around the house.

#5 ·
brent878 said:
I have a NRS in the 16.5" for my 5 foot tall GF. I ride it around and the handle bars hit my knee's. I am 6 foot exactly so I think that it will be too small for you. But test ride it, you might have shorter legs than me or something. But I think it will be way too small from when I ride it around the house.
How can I ride my bike now without thinking that a 5' girl rides the same size bike?! :)

#6 ·
str8ridin said:
How can I ride my bike now without thinking that a 5' girl rides the same size bike?! :)
LOL:) :)

If it helps I'm 6ft7 and it would fit me still:D

Your decision, if you are in doubt ring the guy before he ships it off - you may be able to get a refund before it leaves the shop, after all he did say he had another buyer interested (or maybe he was just pushing the sale:nono: ).

It really depends on the geometry though - if the TT is only say 10mm longer on the medium then getting say a 110mm stem instead of a 100mm should in theory offset the sizing issue, apart from maybe having to get a longer seatpost.
If you have access to the geo figures I'd go from there. Personal preferance but I prefer shorter stems, although being female I probably have shorter arms / legs than a bloke of the same height might.

#7 ·
ducktape said:
LOL:) :)

If it helps I'm 6ft7 and it would fit me still:D

Personal preferance but I prefer shorter stems, although being female I probably have shorter arms / legs than a bloke of the same height might.
your a 6 foot 7 inch girl riding a small bike? I put a shorter stem on the bike for my GF but i don't think i would comfortably ride the bike even with a longer stem and I am only 6 foot even. If anyone is 6' 7" tall i would really advise getting on the bike and test riding it if its a small frame. I just can't picture someone 6'7" tall on the bike.

#10 ·
brent878 said:
your a 6 foot 7 inch girl riding a small bike? I put a shorter stem on the bike for my GF but i don't think i would comfortably ride the bike even with a longer stem and I am only 6 foot even. If anyone is 6' 7" tall i would really advise getting on the bike and test riding it if its a small frame. I just can't picture someone 6'7" tall on the bike.
Holy crap, my mistake! If I was 6ft7 my husband would be a dwarf!
That was supposed to be 5ft7:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.