100 mm Giant Anthem 29er owners, ever try a Santa Cruz Blur or Pivot Mach 429 SL?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

100 mm Giant Anthem 29er owners, ever try a Santa Cruz Blur or Pivot Mach 429 SL?

I am asking about these bikes in the 29er forum but I wonder what Giant Anthem 29er owners experiences are comparing these bikes. I want a 100 mm xc 29 with a maestro/dw link/vpp suspension AND shorter CS. I find my Anthem loses traction when I stand up. Will a bike with shorter chainstays work better when standing during climbs?
    :)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I had a Anthem 29 for ever, have 2 other 29 FS now as well. In general I would sum it up this way:

- Will you like shorter stays on a FS 29er? Answer is likely yes but need to ocnsider the overall geometery

- Will it solve your problem above? Answer is likely not, you might need different technique practice pedalling cirlces while standing, shifting weight, differnt rear tires, setback seatpost, shorter stem but in all likely hood if you set the other bikes up the same you would have some degree of the problem.

I do find with the other suspension design I have had the Maestro was better in small bump complinace but the others seemed to climb over techy square ledges better when SEATED (DW Link for instance). Standing up climbing really depends on form first and rear shock setup (the tune, pressure, and propedal or equivalent selection)
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    Standing up climbing really depends on form first and rear shock setup (the tune, pressure, and propedal or equivalent selection)
    I find the Anthem's (2012) longer stays make it much harder to keep the traction when standing in any gear lower than about 32f/24r.

No difference with the shock open or in propedal 3 (RP23).

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    I find the Anthem's (2012) longer stays make it much harder to keep the traction when standing in any gear lower than about 32f/24r.

No difference with the shock open or in propedal 3 (RP23).
    But it is a bit better with a shorter stem.
    The last 2 rides have been with an 80mm stem, down from the original 100mm.
    Better standing climbing traction and better handling in tight low speed switchbacks.
    A little more work keeping the front down in steep seated climbing, but the positives far outweigh the negatives.
    Apart from having to shorten the brake lines now...