07 Giant Reign X1- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    18

    07 Giant Reign X1

    Hey,

    I'm in the market for a new bike for next season or possibly this fall, and was wondering if anyone here has any comments about the performance of this bike. I ride freeride, downhill, and xc trails. I need a tough bike that can handle jumps and drops, probably in the 15 to 20 range comfortably, but would also like a bike I can ride xc trails on and not feel like I'm riding a tank.

    There is one at my lbs, and the price is dropping as the new stuff is coming out.

    I currently ride a Devinci Chilipepper, and in the 2 years I've had it, I've had the frame replaced twice(so I'm on my 3rd). Their warranty is great, problem is I have lost a lot of prime riding time, with no bike to ride(end of july and all of august so far this year).

    If there is anyone who rides the hell out of one of these bikes, and its still holding up, I'd love to here about it?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    jones'in
    Reputation: venom600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    917
    I've got an '07 X1 and I'm loving it. I ride it regularly ride 'up' to get my 'down', and this bike works great for that. I'm usually the last one up the hill, but I think 90% of that is my fitness....not the bike's fault. It pedals really well.

    The low center of gravity makes railing this bike through high-speed turns a friggin' blast.

    I also regularly jump and drop the X1, but the biggest drops to date have been in the 5-6 ft range. So, I can't comment on it's ability to take 15 to 20 footers, as you asked about. I weigh about 210-215# with gear, though, and I've never bottomed the rear suspension. Let's put it this way: if I had the nutz to drop anything over 10 feet, I wouldn't be worried about my bike......even at my weight.

    A couple of things to know about the stock X1, though:
    1) The stock tires (Barracuda MRC) are complete crap, you'll want to replace them right away. If you can have your shop upgrade them before you even take the bike home, go for it.
    2) Buy a spare derailleur hanger and keep it in your pack.

    --Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,762
    +1
    me too, but like venom, no 15 footers either, sorry. That's more about the rider than the bike I think.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    18
    thanks for the input guys,

    The 15 ft + drops are more of an occasional ski hill run, or out at dirt pits. 5+ seems to be most common around here on the trails, but some of the dh stuff can get a little bigger.

    How does the bike handle jumping? Does the suspension stay pretty stiff on the up side of the jump? Is it good for hitting bmx style tracks, where there is a bunch of tables berms and pump tracks?

    Speaking of the suspension, do you guys have any problems keeping the rear suspension set up clean? About a third of our season is pretty mucky.

    Glad to hear it does well on the cross country trails, I don't really care when I get to the top, just that I can get to the top. Exploratory xc rides are fun too.

    Thanks again

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    42
    I will also give this bike another huge vote. My last bike had a very linear, crappy suspension (Oryx Spitfire), so I might be a little overly excited about the X1. BUT, this bike has amazed me. Way better in the sketchy steeps, my first day on it I was very comfortable in the air. This bike will easily handle what you want of it. From everything I've heard, GIant has an awesome lifetime warranty too so you should be good there. For more info, I've set my bike up mainly as a FR/DH rig. My changes from stock - Tires Michi 2.5's, pedals - dangerboys, Fork - Totem solo air and a stinger chainguide. I'm 6 ft and 190 and I bought the 20". I thinnk the cockpit on these is a little small for the actual measurements. My ride weighs in a 40 lbs on the nose. Lastly I'm putting a DHX air 5 on it today so it'll lose around 3/4's of a lb.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,762
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeleak
    thanks for the input guys,

    The 15 ft + drops are more of an occasional ski hill run, or out at dirt pits. 5+ seems to be most common around here on the trails, but some of the dh stuff can get a little bigger.

    How does the bike handle jumping? Does the suspension stay pretty stiff on the up side of the jump? Is it good for hitting bmx style tracks, where there is a bunch of tables berms and pump tracks?

    Speaking of the suspension, do you guys have any problems keeping the rear suspension set up clean? About a third of our season is pretty mucky.

    Glad to hear it does well on the cross country trails, I don't really care when I get to the top, just that I can get to the top. Exploratory xc rides are fun too.

    Thanks again
    jumps - well it depends what you are used to, no suspension bike will feel the same as a HT, so you might need to adjust your timing or balance slightly.

    A couple weeks ago I rode Silverstar (tons of berms, tables and doubles), it was my first time riding this many huge berms, and it felt great, changed direction as quick as I wanted, still stable at speed. I don' t have the skill (yet?) to move around in the air, so can't say about that.

    For a mix of AM/DH and jumping the geometry is spot on.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    30
    Hey Dude_Here,
    Was it easy to install the Stinger? Which one did you get? I'm currently looking for one myself and would like to do the installation myself if it is straightforward. I heard there may be some clearance issues with some chainguides. Thanks!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,762
    Quote Originally Posted by donkeyboy
    Hey Dude_Here,
    Was it easy to install the Stinger? Which one did you get? I'm currently looking for one myself and would like to do the installation myself if it is straightforward. I heard there may be some clearance issues with some chainguides. Thanks!
    I installed a Stinger too. Since I was changing cranks at the same time, the Stylo cranks I tried first didn't clear the Stinger, so I got a set of Hones and the combo is fine. The Ride DH cranks work fine with the Stinger too, I just replaced then cause they're heavy.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    30
    Thanks. Which one did you install...ISCG or BB mounted?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by donkeyboy
    Thanks. Which one did you install...ISCG or BB mounted?
    ISCG - I still have the stock ride DH cranks on there. I didn't do the install. Free install on any purchases at my LBS so I couldn't pass it up.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,762
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude_Here
    ISCG - I still have the stock ride DH cranks on there. I didn't do the install. Free install on any purchases at my LBS so I couldn't pass it up.
    mine is ISCG Stinger too.

  12. #12

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    30

    Bloody awesome!

    I managed to pick one of the 07 X1's up just before they started to go like hotcakes down here in Australia (three weeks after I got mine you couldn't get one for love or money).

    I can honestly say that this bike has done more to improve my riding confidence than anything else. Its stability over technical terrain has given me the confidence to plow straight over obstacles that I use to pick my way through slowly. What's even better is that it has given me more confidence when I get back onto my older smaller travel bike (although I think one day I'm going to get a very painful reminder that the Specialized Enduro is not the Reign :-).

    I use to be a mainly XC rider, but wanted to expand into DH and some of the "free-ride" terrain we have been putting in over here at Stromlo (natural as opposed to any ramps/northshore - Yet). The Reign has certainly allowed me to do this, as well as still do my XC rec rides. I've even ridden it in the local club XC races as well as a 3hr enduro race.

    I'm currently running Maxxis Larsen 2.0's on it for the XC rides and find that these stick to our local trails like s&*t to a blanket. I will be picking up some Minions or bigger DH-specific tyres when I want to do the gravity sled thing. I intend using it in the Australian 24hr here which I am doing in a team of 6, because while the climb might be a bit slower the descent is always going to be a blast.

    I have had the DX3.0 blow on me in the first 6 months but it was all fixed under warranty - have not had any other issues. Only other change from stock is the extra chainring on the front (large) but am looking to get this taken of again and the bashguard put back on.

    Hope this helps.

    Another (Aussie) MTB Tragic.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    18
    Thanks for the response MTB-Tragic

    I do a lot of xc singletrack riding to get to some of the dh/freeride stuff, and the two guys I ride with the most both have xc machines so I'd definitely be putting a triple chainring on the front, and I've always been skeptical of air shocks, but I've seen a lot larger riders than me with them before.

    How hard is it to clean the rear suspension? I come from an area where about half the season is mud packed. I know they have a mud guard for it, but I don't really see that as being all that helpful on 2 hr ride through mud town.

    I'm a little bit torn right now between 2 bikes. I have the option of this bike, giant reign x1 ($2700) or a rocky mountain switch ($2000). The switch is bigger heavier rig though, and rocky claims that it pedals like an all mountain bike, I'm skeptical but I'm pretty sure the switch would handle the dh and freeride stuff with ease.

    I know this is the giant thread, but has anyone rode a switch here?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    42
    IMO the reign X1 is way more capable than the switch w/o the weight penalty. My other major choice was the switch and it was pretty easy.

  15. #15

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    7
    I ride an 05 Reign, so not an X series one. I Hit 20-40ft jumps regularly on it and go for shuttles up the local dh tracks most weekends and I haven't had any probs with it at all. I only weigh about 50kgs though and I've only been riding it for a few months but it seems pretty tough. Got a small dent in the chainstay from a gnarly rock garden practicing for a dh race, but it doesn't seem to have affected it in any way, would've happened with just about any other frame I'd imagine. Maestro system is really good, soaks up all the bumps but pedals well even running low air pressures.

    The Reign X's look like bloody solid bikes, I'd go for it

  16. #16

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeleak
    Thanks for the response MTB-Tragic

    I do a lot of xc singletrack riding to get to some of the dh/freeride stuff, and the two guys I ride with the most both have xc machines so I'd definitely be putting a triple chainring on the front, and I've always been skeptical of air shocks, but I've seen a lot larger riders than me with them before.
    Note that the X1 comes with a coil, whereas the more expensive X0 comes with the air shock. I was stoked that it was this way round - I wanted the coil over the air (and still say that even after the initial teething problems ie the rebuild).

    A warning on putting the large chain ring on the X1 - I have taken a few teeth off my large ring as it tends to hit logs and rocks when I roll over them. One of the main reasons I am going back to the two chainrings and the bashguard.

    Have few issues with the cleaning of the shock - a very light spray with water (ie no pressure) after a bit of soap and water, which is best applied with a soft bottle brush through the gap in the side.

    Cheers.

    MTB-Tragic

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    18
    Alright, so I've pretty much abandoned the RM switch option. Great price, but too big.

    MTB-Tragic ---> Thanks for the advise on the large chainring. I'll try out the stock setup first. As for cleaning the shock, after cleaning are you in the habit of adding lubricant to all the pivots and bushings(I'm used to single pivot, and I was constantly lubing it up or I'd end up with a creaky bike).

    KoNa_dHer ---> Hey I really appreciate what your saying about your 05. Although your light(I'm about 72kgs) it sounds like you ride your bike hard, and if its held up and you don't seem to be complaining about anything then I'm pretty much sold. I could never recommend my current ride to anyone really, 3 frames, 4 sets of bushings, ect ect in 2 years, no way.

  18. #18
    Tee
    Tee is offline

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeleak

    I'm a little bit torn right now between 2 bikes. I have the option of this bike, giant reign x1 ($2700) or a rocky mountain switch ($2000). The switch is bigger heavier rig though, and rocky claims that it pedals like an all mountain bike, I'm skeptical but I'm pretty sure the switch would handle the dh and freeride stuff with ease.

    I know this is the giant thread, but has anyone rode a switch here?

    I have just recently gone from from a Switch SL to a Reign X. I got offered a deal on an X frame that I just couldnt pass up. While the Switch was a great bike, the X kicks its ass, no questions.

    I find the suspension seems to work a lot better in keeping the rear wheel on the ground climbing techo stuff, and the low centre of gravity feels faster in the corners. Also I can run more seat post on the X as the Switch had the interrupted seat tube, which helps on the climbs.
    One thing I do notice with the low c.o.g though, is that I tend to get a bit more pedal strike on the X. But I think its more to do with my muppet riding style than anything else. Im trying to float a bit more over obstacles now, rather than mow through them.

    Go with the X, you wont regret it.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Tee
    One thing I do notice with the low c.o.g though, is that I tend to get a bit more pedal strike on the X. But I think its more to do with my muppet riding style than anything else. Im trying to float a bit more over obstacles now, rather than mow through them.
    It's not just you. The low BB definetely has that as a consequence. I hit my pedals alot more often on rides now. I wouldn't say it's a problem, just something I never had to think about before now I'm always aware of where my pedals are when I pedaling through a section. Prob is improving my riding anyways.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    93
    I've noticed in threads about the reign x that people say it has a short cockpit. I'm about 6'3", is there anyone out there about the same height who rides the large reign x? If so do you find it to be a little cramped?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: G-AIR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,628

    6'2"

    I am 6'2" and ride the Large. I love the fit and wouldn't change it. It does not feel cramped. Also for this style of bike I think you woudl want a slightly smaller feel.

    You should be OK

    TG

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by doin
    I've noticed in threads about the reign x that people say it has a short cockpit. I'm about 6'3", is there anyone out there about the same height who rides the large reign x? If so do you find it to be a little cramped?
    I am 6 ft and I was going to get the 18". I went with the 20" and I love it. It is a bigger feel than I am used to as I came off of a 15" bike. I would have got the 18" if I was throwing down more tricks. I think the 20" would be fine for you.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.