05 trance drivetrain upgrade questions- Mtbr.com

Aug 2007

05 trance drivetrain upgrade questions

Hello,

I've been gradually upgrading the older components on my 05 Trance 2. I'm starting to work on the drive train now and have a few questions for the board. Please forgive my ignorance in advance.

1. I'm looking at 06 or 07 SRAM X.9 shifters and derailleurs. For the front derailleur what is high clamp/low clamp mean?

2. Front D's also have a clamp mm size of 34.9 or 31.8. Is that the frame diameter measurement? I know my seat post clamp/collar is 34.9.

3. Is top pull / bottom pull for cable routing a preference or requirement on the 05 trance frame?

Thanks!

NB

I AM I AM
    The front dérailleur you would need is a 34.9 diameter, low clamp, top swing, top pull.
    (for future reference 34.9mm is the same diameter as the seat collar)

I am pretty certain you would want a low clamp. Basically a high clamp is where the clamp is up above the derailleur mechanism, and a low clamp is where your clamp part sits lower than the dereilleur mechanism. The differences are to allow for different designs in bikes. If you have a look at your bike it would be clear that a high mount is not suitable due to where the linkage plates are attached to the seat tube. On some other bikes this is the other way around.

Top swing top pul basically means it's pulled from the top and swings out that way, the high clamp variety I imagine would be the opposite.

Hope this helps.

Aug 2007

thanks ducktape!

This helps me greatly.

Aug 2007
    Does that mean I am limited to Shimano front derailleur systems?

I AM I AM
    Yep, I'm pretty sure that's the case. I remember hearing something about the new Sram X7 not being suitable for the trance earlier on in the year or when it first came out. Not sure if they've changed anything or expanded since then.

Anyone else know for sure?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie1968
    Does that mean I am limited to Shimano front derailleur systems?
    Not any more it seems!!! Looks like SRAM finally made a low clamp (top swing) front derailleur, but not sure about sizes or availability.

http://www.sram.com/en/srammountain/...derailleur.php

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    ... just saw ducktape's comments.

If that's the case, maybe it's safer to stick with Shimano.

I AM I AM
    I could well be wrong, my memory may be from when they first started makinge them. MacGiv'er could be right they may have made one since then.

Best to ask on the mtbr SRAM forum, tell them waht type you need and ask if sram makes it yet.

Doesn't matter that much if you end up having to use a shimano front derailleur, after all you can still have sram shirters, and it's the way that it's had to be done for ages!

Aug 2007
    I did find out from a guy at the LBS that indeed most Trance riders that like SRAM tend to run it only on the right (RD) and Shimano on the left (FD).

I like the XTR components so no biggie, but I just could have gotten the SRAM X.9 for really cheap.

Thanks again for your help!

I AM I AM
    Even if you run a shimano front derailleur your sram triggers or twist shifters will work!
    It's only that you can't run a sram shifter in combination with a shimano rear derailleur.

So get Sram X9 shifters & rear dereailleur and a Shimano XTR front derailleur. It will work!

My trance came stock with a shimano deore front derailleur, sram X7 triggers, and X7 rear derailleur.

Aug 2007
    Good idea.

I missed out on the X.9 deal, so I ended up going with the XTR set.

M970 FD, RD, and rapid fire pods.

I AM I AM
    Problem solved hey!

Members who have read this thread: 0