05 reign headset clunk- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

05 reign headset clunk

Hey all,

I just picked up a 2005 reign used, and discovered that it has some headset clunk when braking and rocking the bike back and forth. Tightening the top bolt didn't do anything but make the headset tighter - clunk still there.

I took it apart, and it looks like the PO didn't exactly install the fork/headset correctly. There bearings/races look like they're in pretty bad shape, and it looks there he even had an extra crown race in there !?

Anyway, when I tried to put the headset together 'correctly,' and tighten everything down, I still got some clunk.

Here's some pics of the bottom cup of the headset.

-P
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cid499; 07-13-2007 at 10:12 PM.

mtbr member
    The first thing Ive changed on my Reign 3 was the headset. The headset that came with the bike (same as yours) is not really a good one. Ive replaced it with a FSA Orbit Z which is smoother and soooo much lighter (86gr).

mtbr member
    i think my headset may be trashed as well.. considerable amount of clunking when i'm going downhill through rock gardens

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Well, I figured it out. The previous owner had installed the bottom bearing of the headset incorrectly, causing the headset to clunk around at any tightness. When I get home I'll post pictures of the correct order of headset pieces.

Members who have read this thread: 0