03 NRS1 Frame Flex?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

03 NRS1 Frame Flex?

hi all, I've got a stock standard 03 NRS1 - SID Race fork and SID shock.
    I am experiencing some weird flexing in the frame when I am going full speed down a firebreak. It feels a bit like the rear is slipping out, but it is not.
    I have recently moved from a hard tail where this never happened. Is this typical of a full suspension bike, typical of the NRS1, the suspension system ?
    Any ideas and / or shock/fork solutions greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    b

TR
    Angry bunny
    Hey spook.
    Yep, mine feels the same.
    Also sometimes when coming around a bend.

Jan 2004

Are you sure it is the rear? The SID is a flexy shock.

Quote Originally Posted by sp00kme
    hi all, I've got a stock standard 03 NRS1 - SID Race fork and SID shock.
    I am experiencing some weird flexing in the frame when I am going full speed down a firebreak. It feels a bit like the rear is slipping out, but it is not.
    I have recently moved from a hard tail where this never happened. Is this typical of a full suspension bike, typical of the NRS1, the suspension system ?
    Any ideas and / or shock/fork solutions greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    b
    Try something like a Fox shock up front and see how much stiffer things feel.

Danny

I love Pisgah
    Could be the frame. Could be worn pivots, but I doubt that. Could be the rear shock settings as well. Too little rebound with make it feel"stutter-ery" sorta...just like a front fork with too little rebound, as stated by the previous poster. Too much, and it will pack down, as its not allowed to rebound enough before the next hit. But, it IS a ultra lightweight race dedicated FS frame with 13(counting both sides) pivot points in all that all contribute to "some" flexing back there. This is counting the 3 rockerarm pivots, lower shock pivot, etc. 13...count'm.. I KNOW my frames flex some, sooooo.....its always gonna be some kind of compromise in this game.

edit--->Was wrong on the 14 thing.

mtbr member
    and what a kickass XC race machine it is. I gotta say that every day I ride the NRS it just seems to get better and better.

Thanks for your feedback.

Powered by Pulvoron
    hello all,
    i had the same flex feeling. felt like the rear wheel was sliding out under me. my cure was replacing my ti skewer to an xt stainless steel skewer and magically cured. but agreed with duckman. lots of pivot points results in flex which in positive helps turn the bike and carve turns.

dirt diggler

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt diggler
    hello all,
    i had the same flex feeling. felt like the rear wheel was sliding out under me. my cure was replacing my ti skewer to an xt stainless steel skewer and magically cured. but agreed with duckman. lots of pivot points results in flex which in positive helps turn the bike and carve turns.

dirt diggler
    Hi, is this flex a good thing or bad? I heard that flex results in energy loss and less pedaling efficiency.
    Someone showed me how to test for rear traingle flex:

Place the bike on the floor on its right side down, place yr foot on the left crank arm and slowly let yr weight down. One can see the flex in the rear triangle. The least flex occurs in jump hard bikes. and most in full suspension bikes.

mtbr remember
    I personally haven't noticed much flex in the rear triangle of my 03 NRS, I check the pivot points often, have an XT skewer (maybe your wheelset/tire is flexing and tweaking out?!). I have ridden hardtails most of my life too. Now on the other hand the front end of my bike flexes quite a bit- POS RS Sid blackbox crap. I hope to have a TALAS mounted up as soon as $$ will allow. good luck