‘17 Anthem Advance SX- Mtbr.com
    NedwannaB

‘17 Anthem Advance SX

It seems the PIKE would be better up front on the SX models but what advantages does the piggyback shock have over the same 110mm travel that’s on the “regular” Anthem models? There’s a NOS on closeout at a lbs. I demo’d the owners ‘18 Trance Advanced 1 over the weekend up on some Sierra Buttes trails which was pretty cool having the added squish but thinking it’s a little more bike than “needed” as I could be happy with the Anthems travel given that I’ve done fine with XC bikes of similar travel to the SX.

I’ve not seen too many threads here on the SX and even less on YouTube so just wondering if this model didn’t really fit the niche between the Anthem and Trance that Giants marketing had intended.

Thanks in “Advance” for any first hand beta on the bike.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

NedwannaB
    So nobody went with an SX over the Trance or vice versa? Bueller...Bueller?...

mtbr member
    I've owned both, currently own the Anthem SX 2017, it's a great bike with an awesome spec, I ride here in Vegas and there are only a couple of Trails where I think I would rather have the bigger suspension of the Trance but on about 90% of the other trails this bike is enough.

I guess it depends on how good of a close out deal it is and what kind of rider you are. If my choice was between the Anthem Advanced SX and the Trance Advanced 1, then I'd choose the trance advanced 1, however I found a really good deal on the Anthem SX for only $3000 USD which was too good to pass up, I would of had to pay 4k for the Trance advanced that I was looking at with a lower spec.

In a perfect world where I had more money I would have both bikes. Best thing would be to ride it and decide however it's always going to be a trade off with more or less suspension, there is no right answer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I thought the piggybacks were mostly from enduro bro style, but after going from the Fox Float to a Super Deluxe on my Trance, I can say it was a big difference. Better off the top, more support.

I went from an Anthem to a Trance and while I love the Trance (it can do bike park and gnarlier trails), it's not as much fun when riding XC. I think the SX would be a nice compromise for a lot of people.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The larger air volume afforded by the reservoir means you can have a more plush shock off the top while still getting good support elsewhere. They also don't overheat but that's rare that a trail bike experiences that.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamfromCanada View Post
    I thought the piggybacks were mostly from enduro bro style, but after going from the Fox Float to a Super Deluxe on my Trance, I can say it was a big difference. Better off the top, more support.

I went from an Anthem to a Trance and while I love the Trance (it can do bike park and gnarlier trails), it's not as much fun when riding XC. I think the SX would be a nice compromise for a lot of people.
    Good info on shock. I’m not an Endurobro either. I’m more of an aggressive Xc/trail rider, at least I’d like to think so! 🙄

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Naolin View Post
    I've owned both, currently own the Anthem SX 2017, it's a great bike with an awesome spec, I ride here in Vegas and there are only a couple of Trails where I think I would rather have the bigger suspension of the Trance but on about 90% of the other trails this bike is enough.

I guess it depends on how good of a close out deal it is and what kind of rider you are. If my choice was between the Anthem Advanced SX and the Trance Advanced 1, then I'd choose the trance advanced 1, however I found a really good deal on the Anthem SX for only $3000 USD which was too good to pass up, I would of had to pay 4k for the Trance advanced that I was looking at with a lower spec.

In a perfect world where I had more money I would have both bikes. Best thing would be to ride it and decide however it's always going to be a trade off with more or less suspension, there is no right answer.
    Yeah the SX would be >$3k plus I will be doing some remodeling labor trade for the shop owner which will bring it down even more. Definitely not thinking of a TA1 it just was the demo I got to use. He’s also got a ‘17 Mach 6 alloy for less but thinking that’s abit more bike as is the Trance. The other bike on my close watch list is a Whyte T130 (not a brand this shop carry’s tho)which puts the travel somewhere between the Anthem and Trance.

Trying to demo one of those soon.

Boozy
    Aug 2013
    I have had The Anthem Advanced SX 2017 (upgraded to 18 TRX 1 Carbon wheels)for the last 12 months, I have previously owned 2014 alloy& 15 Carbon Trances,(and spent a lot of time on the 18 Advanced 1 Trance) , so far I can’t fault my SX . I ride everything from XC races to enduro, if was going to have 2 bikes I would have the Anthem Advanced 29 & the Trance Advanced 27.5. So for me The SX is a great compromise.