YT Jeffsy 29 CF vs. Canyon Spectral CF 8.0- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2018

YT Jeffsy 29 CF vs. Canyon Spectral CF 8.0

I'm stuck between the Jeffsy 29 CF and the Canyon Spectral CF 8.0 . Both look like awesome bikes and I can't figure find anything to tip me one way or the other. I ride in Western PA so I mostly rooty, muddy, slightly rocky trails with a mix ups and downs with technical climbs at times. So pretty much XC/trail riding. I'm not doing any big jumps or drops, but I'm not afraid of a little extra fun on the trails. My current bike is a 29er 2013 Trek Superfly AL full suspension, and before for that I had a Kona Kahuna 29er. I'm not a 29er loyalist it is just what I happened to end up with.

For the the area and type of riding I'm talking does any bike stand out better than the other? Also, what would be something similar that I could demo to get a feel for the Jeffsy or Cayon?

mtbr member
    I test rode both of these and ended up with a Spectral. It was not easy to find an event where I could test ride them, so I understand the desire to test ride alternates. The Pivot Mach 5.5 has similar geo to a Spectral, but I haven't ridden one. I'd suggest you ask in the vendor specific forum for YT to get a good answer there, if no one answers here.

I didn't like the Jeffsy 27.5 nor the 29 as much as the Spectral for a number of reasons, but the first thing that comes to mind is the drivetrain. There are more important considerations about bike feel, that have more to do with how everything comes together with the frame and shocks, but if you can't test ride them, that is harder to convey and remember (it's coming back to me I think... the Jeffsys felt harsher than the Spectral I think, but who knows, different people inflated the tires and shocks, so it could be that, plus me echoing reviews I read once). Anyways, the e13 TRS+ did not feel as smooth as I wanted. Eagle is finicky to tune perfectly, but I am reasonably happy with it after riding it a lot, and it felt great the day of the demo.

As far as 29 vs 27.5 goes, I did not find a 29er in that price range that ticked all the boxes for me, at least for the limited number that I test rode. I think there are 29ers I could get into if I spent more, and some day I might, but for technical climbing and tight trails, I didn't like the feel of the 29 Jeffsy, because it felt harder for me to accelerate. I am sure it would carry speed better when taken up to speed, but that isn't the crux of my riding, and I don't race.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    @Skeggs1993 Thanks for the review and guidance, just curious what types of trails do you normally ride?

mtbr member
    No problem.
    I ride mostly singletrack with a mix of hardpack, loose over hard, rocks and occasional roots in Northern California. I tend to go for the most technical stuff I can handle, so I spend a fair amount of time descending, and attempting to climb rock gardens, but most of the trails I ride are just narrow and twisty, with frequent technical features. I usually climb between 1500 - 3000 ft a session.

mtbr member
    Fun, did you say?

Wasn't the Spectral designed by riders that focus on fun?

Dudes of Hazard & Joe Barnes, if memory serves correctly.

27.5 again, usually (but not always) little more playful/flickable ;-)

I, myself am contemplating getting a CF 8.0 - in the near future.

A little concerned about cracking CS's o_0 although, it doesn't seem to affect carbon models.

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"